Coldshield

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Nebomosel
Sojourner

Coldshield

Postby Nebomosel » Mon Nov 12, 2001 8:53 am

According to the help file, Coldshield is supposed to protect the mage from fire based attacks. However, I was fighting a cleric mob which cast Flamestrike on me and I took full damage. Is Flamestrike considered a fire-based spell? If so, shouldn't Coldshield protect me from at least some of the damage?

Neb
Ruagh
Sojourner

Postby Ruagh » Mon Nov 12, 2001 11:36 am

I may be wrong, but protection-type spells and SVS are rather LOWERING damage from such attacks, not negating damage. I think being a troll I must know a lil about fire and can tall something in this caster thread Image

------------------
Ruagh The Curious Troll pokes his long nose into another none-of-his-business matter here
Anaram
Sojourner

Postby Anaram » Mon Nov 12, 2001 8:01 pm

I have tried this several times and have found neither coldshield nor fireshield seem to make much of a difference against their respective opposites. I may be wrong, but it doesn't appear to protect at all (especially against clouds *wince*)

Anaram
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Nov 12, 2001 8:59 pm

Hmm, upon investigating, there seems to be some very odd irregularities in the way cold/fire shield affect spell damage. This has been added to 'the list', we'll get it fixed up. Image

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Nov 13, 2001 7:32 pm

Yeah, I was fighting some fireshielded mobs and using elemental fire attacks... I had this argument with grungar, because apparently it doesn't affect mobs. Accoding to DnD canon, (which of course this mud is not based on) fireshielded mobs take less dam from cold but double damage from fire. Coldshield mobs take less dam from fire and double from cold. It would certainly be interesting if that was imped.

I'm betting the reduction section was still coded using the old spellcast fire flags =)
Nebomosel
Sojourner

Postby Nebomosel » Thu Dec 13, 2001 1:59 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shevarash:
<B>Hmm, upon investigating, there seems to be some very odd irregularities in the way cold/fire shield affect spell damage. This has been added to 'the list', we'll get it fixed up. Image

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*BUMP*

Shevy,
Any news on this one? It'll really help me with soloing.
Nida
Sojourner

Postby Nida » Thu Dec 13, 2001 6:36 am

Word, yo. Thass what I be sayin'.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Thu Dec 13, 2001 9:43 am

Sorry, not yet....

The fixes may come in with Elementalists, as they're somewhat related. Image

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Nebomosel
Sojourner

Postby Nebomosel » Thu Dec 13, 2001 8:11 pm

Sounds good. I'll repost if I notice the same weirdness after Elementalists are in. Thanks for the reply, Shevy.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”