New Zones

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Jurdex
Sojourner

New Zones

Postby Jurdex » Mon Dec 10, 2001 4:57 am

I think it is absolutely awesome that new zones are constantly being made and added to the mud. I am definitely in awe of the talent of the areas team here on Sojourn. They write and create some pretty awesome places.

With that said I am going to offer up a (hopefully constructive) concern of mine that has grown with Sojourn3.

The new areas being created and added seem to have some very common traits. They are mostly high level areas. They are either very difficult to get to, to leave or to travel about once inside. They grant some pretty awesome rewards while presenting some righteous risks.

This is all fine and great, however, I kind of miss the mid high level zone. We're seeing uber zones added with more frequency, and it is getting somewhat ... painful. I don't want to spend 3+ hours doing a hardass zone because all of the uber eq is there.

I think the best zone on the mud is TF.

It has a low level area. It has a quests area. It has a high level area. It provides excellent detail and stories along with great risk and variety. It doesn't take 3+ hours to complete. It is accessible by almost every spell in the game, but can still spank groups with ease. It doesn't rely on mobs that summon in other mobs or !bash casters, etc to make it challenging.. not to mention the eq there is extremely balanced.

I just basically want to say that I hope more zones along the lines of TF are added versus Avernus, MD, etc.

Dornax
Jurdex
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Dec 10, 2001 5:08 am

Agreed. More zones should be like TF (or jot for that matter). Its a diverse and interesting zone which can be fun for mid-levels as well as high levels, and well balanced eq-wise. Not many gimmicks (demons/quests to get out of zone/!tele area/!ground areas), but thats what makes it great.

Which probably means that a couple of braxats should block entrance into the zone in order to keep mid-levels from doing exp where "they dont belong" anyway. Smirk Image

Corth (who doesn't consider the grey-greens area a part of tf)

[This message has been edited by Corth (edited 12-10-2001).]
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Dec 10, 2001 6:14 am

TF has always been my favorite zone. Rock on.

- Ragorn
Xebes
Sojourner

Postby Xebes » Mon Dec 10, 2001 6:26 am

heh, TF's decent as a zone, imo.

MD sucks as far as the times I've been in it... somehow zones people don't know well yet yield many many more spanks than the ones people have perfected... wonder why? :-P Beyond that though, it's really not THAT hard of a zone for the most part (although the lich fight in there is somewhat insane)

I'd have to say my favorite zone around is UM/UM2... it's fun, it's quite challenging, and last but not least, just by reading the descriptions and ansi, etc-- it just FEELS spooky! :-)

------------------
-<(#)>- Xebes makes your heart start to race REAL FAST!
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Dec 10, 2001 6:53 am

Hey, telling us doesn't do much good...we can't really control the zones that people want to contribute after all...beggars can't be choosers, eh? Image

So you know what I'm gonna say now....

(wait for it..)

Write a zone!

Cyric would be so proud of me. Image

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Dec 10, 2001 6:56 am

My problem with MD, and zones that have many demons for that matter, is that you need to bring many extra people along just in case the demons decide to gate in 3-4 mobs.

For instance, Astral. 6 people can do any mob in the zone. However, if a succubus decides to gate in 3 devils, your gonna get spanked with 6 people. So you need to bring 10 people there.. and then everyone is bored because its so damned easy. Of course, you will have maybe one or two hard fights.. when the demons are gated in.. but otherwise its mostly boring.

Basically, I think i'd rather see a devil or two following every demon, rather than having random mobs gated in. That way you know what your going to fight and can choose your group accordingly. If you choose the right group, it will be consistently fun for everyone... instead of just one or two fights where the abilities of the group are fully used.

Another way to fix this problem is have only one mob gated in.. instead of 3+. That way you don't need to have extra people in the group since its likely you can handle that one extra mob. The downside is that zones like MD would become much much easier and probably require an eq downgrade...

Corth

[This message has been edited by Corth (edited 12-10-2001).]
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Dec 10, 2001 7:29 am

I love TF and minivault. I also love blip, but don't recommend it as it's not too healthy. We musta eaten 8 incend clouds while underwater, heh heh...

I got a question for the l33+ oldskools: Did you all love Tia and/or do you still? Will we see another zone in that allows for squad grouping (more than 15 ppl to do it)?
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Dec 10, 2001 7:48 am

Clerics have been wanting a new 9th circle spell- how about 'dismissal'. It has a chance of sending a summoned creature back where it came from, without experience gain.

Yayaril
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Mon Dec 10, 2001 8:15 am

yah, yaya, actually I had considered that spell titled as "Banishment" hrmm

I like the idea.

Dornax
Jurdex
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Mon Dec 10, 2001 11:51 am

I want to see more places like Lava, Deep Dragon, Ice Crag, SG, Gith, etc..

Things that can be done with 6-10 players, with maybe one spanky item and a handful of midstuff and taking less than one hour to zone.

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Dec 10, 2001 12:26 pm

sounds like a great spell for clerics and id totally support it, though i doubt most of you will be happy with a highly specialized spell. Maybe give it a good chance of doing awesome damage to the cleric (half kill) or draining str and con for a few minutes or just make demons get switch happy when a cleric starts chanting this, they not stupid after all.

On zones, I'd like to see some zones that are designed for 5-8 people that will take roughly the same amount of time to do with 5-8 people as 15. At the same time, it shouldnt be boring or gay (i think the poofing portals in um2 are unique and awesome creativity / role play but kinda gay). Perhaps the zone could scale with number of folks, for instance if it was a castle and you ran into a guardsman with a group of 5 it would be a 5 on 1 fight. If you brought 15, itd be 15 on 5 (maybe a special proc similar to demons gating in, calling men at arms or somethin). Hmm, i have lots more to add to this idea, but there should be someway to flag mobs to scale the fight according to the level of pcs or the size of the gruop. anyhow thats enough off topic posting for tonight
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Dec 10, 2001 1:26 pm

Dude.. that dismissal/banishment idea rocks.

I wouldn't mind having a high specialized spell, since it seems to fit in with the realms of clerics ablilities.. we should be able to ward off some of those annoying gated creatures Image
Glorishan
Sojourner

Postby Glorishan » Tue Dec 11, 2001 9:52 am

ooooOOOooo, I like the idea for the new 9th circle cleric spell. And lord knows things I like must be good, so Shev get on it!

Glorishan
Hatan
Sojourner

Postby Hatan » Tue Dec 11, 2001 3:13 pm

heh ho... let Shev finish my elementalist first!!

no kidding!! Image
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Tue Dec 11, 2001 11:00 pm

Thanks for the kind words. I'm all for all sorts of zones, but remember that people make what they want to make...I don't really push people in one direction or another.

That said, the past 2 zones were intended to be high levelish by the makers (who were frustrated high levelers), and I have about 6 zones in progress on the testmud that are primarily mid-level. Another 10 zones are being created out in the ether, ranging from low level to uber-elite in difficulty, but I have no clue how many will ever see the light of day...it's just the way the zone world works. From conception of a zone to appearance on the mud is probably about 6 months.

So go get started on something cool, and watch as players complain in 6 months that you're behind the times. Image

R
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Wed Dec 12, 2001 1:21 am

Tell me what i need to do to make a Zone. I've been all for making Everska and the surrounding area for a while now. .
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Dec 12, 2001 11:56 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Salen:
Tell me what i need to do to make a Zone. I've been all for making Everska and the surrounding area for a while now. . </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You basically need a coherent idea that is acceptable, insofar as I can tell... as for the details, Cyric or someone will have to fill you in on that.
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Thu Dec 13, 2001 12:41 am

Yah mail Cyric. He's good about responding and he puts up with my inane babbling in e-mail form.

- Grungar "Beware the Banana Slugs" Forgefire
Thurg
Sojourner

Postby Thurg » Sun Dec 16, 2001 11:41 pm

what is cyrics email?

------------------
Thurg, Zossonnarr
azzixxenae
Sojourner

Postby azzixxenae » Mon Dec 17, 2001 2:16 pm

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”