Wing Buffet

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Gormal
Sojourner

Wing Buffet

Postby Gormal » Thu Jan 17, 2002 12:48 am

Lets not let them do this on entry please. Its just too hard to CR and crap. Make them be engaged before they can buffet.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Thu Jan 17, 2002 4:55 am

I also believe this needs a bit of tweaking. It appears that every wingbuffet produces two and a half rounds of lag, regardless of being stunned or knocked down. I'm not sure if this happens every time, but two and a half rounds of lag at all is far too much. One round would be quite sufficient I believe. Taking damage, being stunned, and knocked down are all ok. Just really don't think the lag is necessary.

-Todrael
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:24 am

Yeah, remove the lag aspect. If you get stunned, you can stagger around and not cast or use special abilities, but even if you aren't stunned, you still can't do anything. If you didn't get stunned, then obviously you didn't hit the barrier in a way that would make you disoriented, so you should be able to hop to your feet and continue fighting/casting.

Yayaril
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jan 17, 2002 12:53 pm

anyone bother to ask why all dragons learned this new skill? does it make them easier or harder? i dunno since it keeps them from casting or breathing if they buffet... we whooped green dragon and Q ass since the change and id say we had an easier tim at it *but who knows with dice rolls*.

if its to make dragons harder, why? im betting it was something for a new coder to learn on.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Jan 17, 2002 1:06 pm

It certainly doesn't make them any easier.. you must'be just gotten lucky.
What we've seen is the mobs with this skill will use it, then breath and proceed to cloud.

I think its a cool proc, just needs a little tweaking.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Jan 17, 2002 2:23 pm

If all dragons learned the skill, perhaps it's a racial skill applied to the race "dragon?"
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Thu Jan 17, 2002 3:27 pm

Traditionally Dragons get Fear/Wing Buffet/Tail Sweep/4x Claw(hands as well as claws on wings)/Bite in addition to spells/breath weapon/ other innate abilities for their color.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Jan 17, 2002 3:38 pm

Mmmm... wing buffet..... . ahhhhhhh.....

- Ragorn
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Jan 17, 2002 9:03 pm

only dragons above a certain level do this...for instance the pet dragon in loki does not...thank god.

it is a neat skill tho
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Fri Jan 18, 2002 4:15 am

aw crap.

i thought gormal was gonna point the way to some good chicken..
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Fri Jan 18, 2002 4:54 am

My humble opinion, is its just excessively powerful right now. It bashes, stuns, lags, damages the player. It would be okay if it happened once/twice a fight. Ive been in dragon fights where its done it 10 times. Being on yer ass, stunned, lagged for 3-4 rounds is not fun... ESPECIALLY if you stand up just to have it happen again.
Dakrish
Sojourner

Postby Dakrish » Fri Jan 18, 2002 5:13 am

Personally, I think it would be a pretty kool skill if the lag affect was removed. Alas, the pains of trying to achieve balance Image

Balance suxurs!

downgrade balance! Image

peACe oUt
laterZ
gyrx
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Fri Jan 18, 2002 5:31 am

Buffet should have a serious area limiter just like nukkie spells.
Glorishan
Sojourner

Postby Glorishan » Fri Jan 18, 2002 8:03 am

Nah, I vote leave any blast radius type restriction off of buffet, as it's pretty cool. But I agree that the lag should be looked at. I don't personally see it as necessary to make buffet spanky. It's already pretty terrible in the wrong situations. Which = fun!

Glorishan
Ladorn
Sojourner

Postby Ladorn » Fri Jan 18, 2002 10:42 am

I think it's a really neat proc. Very creative and 'fits' real well. But I do believe the dragon should be very lagged from this. At least 1.5 rounds. Realistically it would take the dragon a lot of energy to swing his wings with great enough force to knock or attempt to knock the whole group over. I think sapping moves would be more realistic, but dragons hardly ever flee anyways. So yeah make it lagged so it can't do it every other round.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Jan 18, 2002 2:23 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ladorn:
Realistically it would take the dragon a lot of energy to swing his wings with great enough force to knock or attempt to knock the whole group over.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But we're talking about a creature that typically swings his wings with enough force to lift his own weight and keep it aloft for extended periods of time. If he can push his own body through the air, then pushing the bodies of a couple of puny beings around should be cake, right?
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Fri Jan 18, 2002 2:33 pm

Yeah, especially little elves Image

As I've said tho, I think its a damned cool proc. I think some lag if you get bashed by it, and no lag if you don't get bashed would be cool.

Only thing that sucks is if a dragon does it a couple times in a row, cuz then you basically can't move until you or it dies (usually you) :P
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Jan 18, 2002 2:55 pm

does pc weight get factored into the buffet? 800 pound ogres prolly wouldnt be budged by buffet. nor would an earth elemental, or an earth/water embodied pc. perhaps yuanti and dwarves being low to the ground could get excellent modifiers. drow and grey and halfling/gnome should get tossed around like little rag dolls. so should taller races like troll barbarian human. position should factor in too, sitting/recling folks should get save modifiers. that would be a cool change.

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 01-18-2002).]
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Fri Jan 18, 2002 3:34 pm

Interesting Logic Kiryan, could make for some folks avoiding dragons like the plague... or weighing down with like 3k of coins.

Toplack
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Fri Jan 18, 2002 4:42 pm

Yeah, factoring in actual current weight of the pc would be cool.

I think the dragon at least shouldn't be able to do claw attacks in the same round where is buffets. One round of lag would seem realistic.

------------------
Vadian/Vade/Vipplin
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Fri Jan 18, 2002 5:20 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ashiwi:
<B> But we're talking about a creature that typically swings his wings with enough force to lift his own weight and keep it aloft for extended periods of time. If he can push his own body through the air, then pushing the bodies of a couple of puny beings around should be cake, right?

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but the beast is also the size of a...well..a dragon! In AD&D they had huge initiative modifiers. They shouldn't move with the agility of an elf or a brownie. They should at least be lagged.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Jan 18, 2002 5:44 pm

size of a dragon... Hm, I hear the faerie dragon also learned this.

My question is, was this added to highlevel psuedodragons? Also (only imms will likely know the answer) does this scale with level?
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:15 am

yea this is gay, but now i think i understand the purpose. you simply are not allowed to walk into a room with an agro dragon solo and expect to live long enough to flee. Id assume this is a anti-twink measure but this makes dragging corpses gay.

isnt 6+ rounds a bit much? without getting critted i couldnt even live 6 rounds with 1k hps. its like guaranteed death considering i got breathed on once and quaked once in addition to pummeled 12-18 times while scaled and grpd during those 6 rounds of sitting on my ass lag.
Glorishan
Sojourner

Postby Glorishan » Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:15 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
<B>yea this is gay, but now i think i understand the purpose. you simply are not allowed to walk into a room with an agro dragon solo and expect to live long enough to flee. Id assume this is a anti-twink measure but this makes dragging corpses gay.

isnt 6+ rounds a bit much? without getting critted i couldnt even live 6 rounds with 1k hps. its like guaranteed death considering i got breathed on once and quaked once in addition to pummeled 12-18 times while scaled and grpd during those 6 rounds of sitting on my ass lag. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Feh, I wouldda lived through that. Yer a wus!

Glorishan
Zogur
Sojourner

Postby Zogur » Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:35 pm

Where is my cloak of wing buffeting?
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Sat Feb 02, 2002 10:13 am

hey gormal you gonna tell us where this wing buffet is? i love some good chicken wings? they breaded? all you can eat? whut whut WHUT?
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Sat Feb 02, 2002 11:03 am

Just need a !buffet item...

<< held in both hands >> a dinner entre, a la cart

Toarn -!Buffet for You!-

[This message has been edited by Keran (edited 02-02-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Keran (edited 02-02-2002).]
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sat Feb 02, 2002 11:14 am

There's a Wing Stop here in Oklahoma City, best wings around.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sun Feb 03, 2002 9:15 pm

Elves should be immune to wing buffet considering their lithe frames and small stature. Naturally they should be too aerodynamic for wind to affect them. Nod me.

Twyl

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”