death effects....

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
vynigumba
Sojourner

death effects....

Postby vynigumba » Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:18 pm

the post about deathtrap gave me the idea..
since no pwipe/eqwipe are planned the only
mean that equip if removed from the game is
from foolish unprotected breath and
the VERY occasional death in some weird
place that make the impossible CR.
Now, this is rarely (never) happens to high
level, careful players. In the case of
retirement, equip is usually donated to
the guild.. As a consequence
equip is rampant, as a consequence mob
are continuosly upgraded and players downgraded...as a consequence you cannot kill crap solo

my point of view is that the game need
a way to remove equip on a constant
basis... Probably i didnt think about
it long enough but.. death could
affect equip instead of experience.
Probably not of your inventory need
to be lost, but one or 2 items
should go.

just an idea..
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:57 pm

I think there should just be more quests that involve two or more high end items being traded in for one slightly more high end item. For instance: everyone loves ogrehide gloves. They are easier to get than runed balorskin, aren't as ugly and have nice stats. Well, I'm sure more than one person would trade their ogrehides, plus an eldritch fire ring and a mace and skull ringmail for a pair of +20hp gloves. It's only a 5 hitpoint increase, but many people would find it worth while, since they have the items to spare. This would in turn remove this extra gear from the market. I know of a few quests that accomplish this already.

Yayaril
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Tue Apr 09, 2002 8:23 pm

Grand quests are great for this, (erlans sucks a bunch) quests that require a lot of mid-high gear is a good way to keep gear down somewhat. But even that can't stop the flood, I'd like to see equipment age, after 1 year it breaks.... Certain items would be immune to this, anything involving big/rare quest, invasion gear, or from an uber zone (Tia) would get an uber tag and be immune from this effect. But those hundreds of amy rings, pbear boots, remo cloaks, would wear down over a year of ptime, and break. Add this tag to the identify spell/scroll (Watchs yaya selling all his 355 day old gear for big profits Image.
Just a thought,
Belle

Could add a smith that could extend the duration of items by giving him other magic items (i.e. The smith transfers the magic of your nightshade into your darkstone extending its lifespan) giving it another year of life (or more time based the value of magic items)

[This message has been edited by belleshel (edited 04-09-2002).]
vynigumba
Sojourner

Postby vynigumba » Tue Apr 09, 2002 8:38 pm

on a side note ..
if i die i would rather spend my time trying to retake the object lost than killing the same 5 mobs for 10 hours to get my experience back...
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Tue Apr 09, 2002 9:22 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vynigumba:
<B> on a side note ..
if i die i would rather spend my time trying to retake the object lost than killing the same 5 mobs for 10 hours to get my experience back...
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For most high-level eq, you WILL die a few times, meaning you'd lose even more eq trying to get it..
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Tue Apr 09, 2002 9:58 pm

Who are these people that have all this extra equipment causing you to worry about abundance of items.

Old players leave, new players come, almost every day. I don't see any newbies walking around with a free 40th+ gear hookup. I still see people dressed like lowlevel crap into their 40's.

What mud are you playing on? If you personally have so much extra high level eq, spread the wealth and stop hoarding it in your sacks/bags.

Jeez, if people are stingy with equipment NOW, imagine how bad they are gonna be if they could actually LOOSE their eq to breakage or death.
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Tue Apr 09, 2002 10:59 pm

Dude, I've died at least twice for almost every piece of eq I'm wearing and my eq is still mostly mid-level junk...if it ever got coded in that you lose a piece of eq per death, I'd play a naked mage. Image
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Apr 10, 2002 2:08 am

god quests that involve da phat lewt. Bring me a twilight, green dragon armor, redgold platemail, and Dornax's left testicle and I will restring your helmet to "Waelos' Happyhat"
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Wed Apr 10, 2002 3:19 am

Oh Please NO ageing of any eq.

That would really suck.

I do agree, however, that some control of the amount of mid-high level eq in the game may be appropriate.

Regular eq loss with death would suck also, imo.

Those quest ideas like Kern's etc where several good items are needed is cool.

Caedym has a valid point, I believe.
A lot of different players have a different perspective on the "value" of thier eq.
Those who consider certain not-so-kickass items valuable should not be penalized because of others who consider the same item crap.

Here's another idea:
Some very rare mob activity, like:

The darkenbeast suddenly turns on Gythi.
It grasps his shroud of ethereal winds in its claw and rips it from his body, sending Gythi sprawling.
With a mighty effort, the darkenbeast rips the shroud of ethereal winds to shreds, tossing the tattered remnants to the ground, before again focusing on the battle.

Of course, invasion/reasonable quest/very good/hard to get eq would be immune to this.

The darkenbeast suddenly turns on Gythi.
It grasps a ring of eldritch fire in its claw and rips it from his body, sending Gythi sprawling.
The darkenbeast attempts to tear a ring of eldrtich fire apart, but the item's magic is too strong!
It grunts, and tries the item on itself, before again focusing on the battle.
The darkenbeast places a ring of eldritch fire on its finger.

Well, thinking on this, it might require a lot of coding for item flags etc, I guess..
Coding that would better be otherwise spent on more important issues, perhaps.

Some thoughts, anyways.

Mogr.

P.S.

Lastly, on a somewhat related issue, I really despise the idea of ppl purposely dropping high-level !float items into water - "duckponding".
If you feel the need to do such a thing, find a true newbie/newer player level 20-30, rp with them, send them on a short quest, and give them the item as reward.
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Wed Apr 10, 2002 5:17 am

Vy,

if this applied and we lost eq everytime we died, i would be naked and would be forever (in sojourn3), it's not easy for everyone to get eq :P

------------------
Leah A. W.
Glorishan
Sojourner

Postby Glorishan » Wed Apr 10, 2002 5:50 am

People still haven't figured out how not to die? Man I should teach classes or something!

Glorishan
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Apr 10, 2002 2:37 pm

I like the idea of eq quests far better than eq that ages and crumbls or being destroyed by mobs.

I played muds where eq could not be rented, i played muds where hits over a certain damage amount destroyed eq, i played a mud where eq death traps and exp deathtraps existed (ie one type you lost all your eq or lost your corpse). Both types of muds were solo muds, meaning you could replace most eq by yourself. I wasnt very fond of those because it was basically a full time job replacing eq. ie, what was the point of playing, to constantly replace your eq?

While you can say that is semi true here on sojourn, because if you were to have a awesome set of gear then not play for 6 months it wouldnt be quite as awesome anymore, its really not at all the same. A lot of people have trouble gathering folks to kill purple worm, think about how hard it would be to gather folks to do a mob who had a habit of destroying eq for whatever reason (procs/super hard hits/ect).

Couple of suggestions to think about. if eq was !give meaning couldnt be traded around, then eq would leave the game as players did or as people stopped playing alts. im not really fond of this idea either but its something to ponder

making more quests that involve high end gear also means each player needs more eq. ie that 40 warrior prolly not going to get a shot at greygreens because some 50 warrior with way more play time wants to use them in a quest.
Tuga
Sojourner

Postby Tuga » Wed Apr 10, 2002 4:43 pm

G'day all,

One thing I still have to figure it out. In what way is the mud suffering because someone(in this case the elites) is hoarding all the eq?

Okie so somone has 10 1k headbands, if the mud staff are worried about this situation, make it so it pops on different rare in different location. Thus the ppl that dont really know where it pops has a reasonable chance of getting to that rare.

I honestly have to say i'm getting bored with the mud for the simple reason that its alwayz the same ppl to lead zones. The reason this happens is coz to explore zoneable zones we need to have a sizeable group and RL time to do it, and how many high levels are prepared to do that knowing b4 hand that the person leading is hopeless???

Also wanted to say and out of subject that Tilsen is now officially retired never to play again Image Farewell my friends!!

CheerZ
Tuga the Sunless Troll

------------------
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Apr 10, 2002 4:58 pm

Darnit Tilsen!!!
Lyt
Sojourner

Postby Lyt » Wed Apr 10, 2002 5:55 pm

Gods have already said that there will be no decay of equipment. It would really suck to spend several months working on a nasty quest, only to have the thing rot a while later.

------------------
Tesil2
Sojourner

Postby Tesil2 » Wed Apr 10, 2002 6:30 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lyt:
<B>Gods have already said that there will be no decay of equipment. It would really suck to spend several months working on a nasty quest, only to have the thing rot a while later.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well...I never saw/heard the so-called "no eq wipe" thing, But...How do the admin expect any long term play-ability here without pwiping? You pwipe...you piss people off..they quit playing. You eq-wipe...you piss people off...they quit playing. You make deathtraps/eq traps...you get the picture....Just looking for some type of definitive answer or idea even on this subject....constructive comments only please...you wanna flame...go see your momma.

gordex
Sojourner

Postby gordex » Wed Apr 10, 2002 8:07 pm

test
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Wed Apr 10, 2002 8:41 pm

There are several ways...

MORE zones to be added, Have chance of spells and other wierd effect destroy some equipement, except those of the up-most power, like Tiamat gear, Erlan Gear, Kazgoroth gear, ect.

------------------
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Apr 11, 2002 3:07 am

umm ilshad, i disagree especially with uber eq being immune. if anything uber eq should be more susceptible to being destroyed. You should have to really work to maintain a elite set of eq, not really work to just have enough scraps to be able to zone.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:32 pm

OK guys... let me point something out

We have something called a NOBURN flag.

Perhaps, if you're dead set on making some eq burnable, it should see some use?
vynigumba
Sojourner

Postby vynigumba » Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:04 pm

well..
To have an equilibrium for everything that goes in something must go out.. for each piece of equip you get you should have an equal probability of losing something similar. That can be achieved with quests (but that just delays the problem), deaths or whatever you can think.

My point of view is still that if the most important factor in the game is equipment then, death should affect equipment and not time.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:09 pm

Please, no death affecting equipment stuff. I couldn't deal with a lot of naked rangers running around.

Feh, if I lost a piece of gear every time I died, I wouldn't have a thing. I've lost level 50 approximately 15 times, and that's not counting the deaths that DIDN'T cause a level loss.
viashro
Sojourner

Postby viashro » Sat Apr 13, 2002 4:18 am

Here here. The only way to see naked rangers running around should be on a pay per view basis only.

Too much of a good thing spoils it no? *cough*

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”