Switch

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
huntsatnight
Sojourner

Switch

Postby huntsatnight » Mon Mar 11, 2002 7:28 pm

Has anyone else noticed a big increase in mobs switching? Or at the very least a difference in the soldiers indk switching?

It may well be that I am using fire elementals now instead of air elementals, but I can barely get one spell off before i get switched too now.

Any thoughts?

Kototacok
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Mar 11, 2002 7:39 pm

Warrior types switch to the pet maker REALLY fast now. Just another way of getting pc tanks to tank i suppose.
Ssryth
Sojourner

Postby Ssryth » Fri Mar 15, 2002 9:15 am

It's been mentioned before... bring a warrior to bash ...
or be a snake and bash it yourself! Image

Ssryth
taelin
Sojourner

Postby taelin » Mon Mar 25, 2002 9:17 am

It sure would be nice if mobs of level X would have a % chance to fail switch like player of level X would if they were skillcapped.
huntsatnight
Sojourner

Postby huntsatnight » Tue Mar 26, 2002 4:39 pm

So lets get this straight. You made 2 well done pet classes (necro and ele's) and then you changed the mob switch code to make theie bbest strength (pets) useless?

I don't like grouping. I play a couple minutes here and there when im working/ compiling. My buddies in game are usually people who alos don't group, or people who help me fecth my corpse (thanks all).

The game went from fun to no fun in a matter of a day. I havnt played for about a month (maybe more). Right around the dns problems. But i can clearly see that the must group futue of the mud is not for me.

Not that the world will notice my disinterest, but why ruin the game for those of us who are not here for the uber items? I just wanted to play.

Kototacok
Morvaane
Sojourner

Postby Morvaane » Fri Mar 29, 2002 3:31 pm

I have to agree with Koto on this one, the "must group or just cant play" aspect is restricting. Sure, make it less beneficial to solo (oh wait, it already is....no ideas, no planes, no ubers, slower exp) but dont make it impossible. The switching just plain makes me not want to play my necro (heck, my damn IN CHAR persona is a loner) and I simply dont want to play another class. Was forced out of Retromud when they made it group-only, and looks like sojourn just made me do the same. Sigh, whats wrong with a soloable mud anyway?

On a side note, take the online MMRPG like everquest and such, all have made both grouping or soloing an inherant and VIABLE means of play. All make buku money too.
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Fri Mar 29, 2002 5:05 pm

You don't have to group to play or to level .. thats a fallacy... the fact is, tho.. that zones were made for groups .. if you enjoy soloing , by all means, do so .. just dont bitch when you level slow as hell....

there are plenty of solo classes available to you ... some people are just loners, no harm in that...

peace..
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Fri Mar 29, 2002 6:08 pm

It's not like their switching is a HUGe inconvenience (unless they also track). The second they switch, you just walk out of the room. Wait until your pet re-engages the foe, then walk back in and nuke them. They will then switch again, and you walk out.

Yayaril
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Fri Mar 29, 2002 9:54 pm

We also have the queue'd commands now for pets, so if you have some hp's, you can order said pet to rescue you. This is useful in the case of tracking mobs.

But I do think they're switching a bit more often now.

Toplack
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Fri Mar 29, 2002 10:47 pm

The ebonys in monastery were switching of a friend's level 34 necro the same round he ordered a successful rescue...kinda hard to stay in the room at all with your ghasts.

I've also noticed my warrior has a near-guaranteed need to rescue his groupmates if he ever misses a bash.....should under level 30 mobs ALWAYS be able to switch within 1-2 rounds of standing there !bashed? It seems like some percentage to choose to switch got upped even for PC tanks.....
Sszantiel
Sojourner

Postby Sszantiel » Sun Mar 31, 2002 8:44 am

I've found a way to use mob switching to my advantage! Not gonna tell anyone though..Bwaha!

/sszan
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Mon Apr 01, 2002 2:31 am

Been away a couple weeks due to family issues, but I've been meaning to post on this ever since connecting to the mud got fubared...

Mob switching is ridiculous at this point. Lvl 25-30 mobs can switch at will, every round. This is highly inconvenient to, say, my conjurer in groups. I have to flee out almost every round and thus am rendered useless. This doesn't even take into account tracking mobs or higher level mobs that can smoke me in a couple hits.

So...I flee out...hope it doesnt track...and flee back in. Oof. I'm switched to again. Okay, so the warrior/pally that I occasionally group with (and about the same level) tries to rescue...NOPE. Their rescue skill is highly inadequate and cannot keep up with mob switching around the same level. Can my pets save me? Nope. They're even worse at rescue.

Whose supposed to protect me?

Whats worse is throwing in ellie hitall. Before, being in the same room was okay to prevent pets from doing hitalls. Now I have to be engaged...which makes switches even more dangerous? C'mon. Is it realistic for fireball-wielding mages to be engaged in melee? Lets use some common sense here, please!

Answer? Change pet hitall back to only when the conjie leaves the room. More importantly, scale mob switches according to level. Let warriors and rescueable-pets and switching mobs of the same level compete on equal ground.

Please. Consider it. Conjies are a good class now, but the switching is ridiculous.
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Mon Apr 01, 2002 2:09 pm

Not to mention that if you are soloing and get switched to and bashed your screwed. I tried to solo the dock master yesterday which I was able to do fairly easily before the change in the switch code. Now it is almost impossible. In order to get blind to take you have to have gotten a hex to hit first. So I try 3 hexs in between fleeing out because when i enter the room i get switched to.

Finally get hex to hit. Now go through three blinds in between flees.

Ok now he's blind. Gotta heal and restone the spirit now because he's at nasty.

Ok now i can try to do some damage.

All of this on a mob that is at most "are you mad" and gives 2% if your very lucky.

I didn't get bashed in this but that was only luck.

So then I have to remem almost my entire list of spells which as a barbarian will take a while.

And when death is taking so much exp it is hard to justify the risk.

I know I chose to play a caster and I know I chose to play a barbarian. I just think that the balance is a little off here.

Not sure what the answer is except to look at the fail rate for mobs switch which appears to be 0% fail.

Thanks for your help.
huntsatnight
Sojourner

Postby huntsatnight » Tue Apr 02, 2002 4:28 pm

Well I am glad someone finally TRIED to fight with the switch code before they started trashing me on my opinion.

I dont have great eq. I solo and just buy things that people sell in the stores or leave around. I get exp slowly. These are both penalty enough for playing solo. But used to enjoy the game. Now I just don't play. The swich code became unreal.

I play an elementalist. It said on this board that it would be a good solo class. Its not now.

Well it is good to see that many (or a few) people share my take on the code. I have not tried the game in a few weeks now, so someone let me know if things change. I'd like to play again.

Kototacok
Morvaane
Sojourner

Postby Morvaane » Wed Apr 03, 2002 1:10 pm

Yeah its a shame Koto, but Im in the same boat as you. I just dont play anymore. There is little point to it when I log in, and if Im lucky I get two or three kills before a switch/bash kills me. How many gosh darn hps they think mages have? One bash and its death, period. Add in the lack of blind for necros and well, just cant solo at my level. Of course thats the only way I want to play, so I guess its not worth it. Ah well, was so happy to be back too.
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Tue Apr 09, 2002 10:30 pm

Any staff care to comment?

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 09, 2002 11:55 pm

I'm looking into this. Incidentally, the scenario where you get switched to and then bashed is hard to do, if you're fleeing when they switch. Switch *does* lag the mob, so you can usually get out in time.

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 10, 2002 12:35 am

The glitch creating this situation has been found and will soon be fixed. (Next boot, in this case). Image
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Wed Apr 10, 2002 12:55 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iyachtu:
The glitch creating this situation has been found and will soon be fixed. (Next boot, in this case). Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CHEER. Thank you :>)
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Wed Apr 10, 2002 4:11 pm

Cheer Iyachtu!

Was getting used to having my bear rescue me, but I happen to be lucky enough that anything I can solo won't kill me w/ one bash. I know this will make younger and newer players mucho happy.

Toplack

------------------
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Wed Apr 10, 2002 5:19 pm

You ROCK! Thanks for looking into it.

------------------
Izzy / Raev

Rangers are the key to ultimate success. Try one out today!
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Wed Apr 10, 2002 10:49 pm

Thanx Image

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 12, 2002 8:03 am

I've talked with a coupla necros, and the change is live and apparently is making a difference. Sorry it took awhile to clue in. Image
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:31 pm

huzzah!

Depok, you don't know HOW many times I've died, solo or grouped, due to bash/switch :P

Suffice to say it rivals the number of groupmate deaths I've lead.
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Sat Apr 13, 2002 3:29 pm

What got tweaked on switch? were mobs bashing and then switching without a bash lag?

I think mobs are still switching insanely fast. The last couple zones i've been in I was spammed all to hell from rescuing so much. Right now mobs have !fail switch and they do it CONSTANTLY. Is there any way to tweak on this? I am pretty much lagged until 4 or 5 rounds after the fight is over because I'm rescuing so much.

E

------------------
Ensis Inferni
Bish Enterprises Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Copyright 1999 Fydollaho Productions.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat Apr 13, 2002 7:24 pm

The switch change probably only affects the lower levels, Ensis. Once you get into the big zones, you're talking about high level creatures with a 'master' switch skill. Of course they're never going to fail. I don't fail that often switching, and I only have it at 'above average'.

------------------
-Yayaril

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 14, 2002 12:34 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ensis:
<B>What got tweaked on switch? were mobs bashing and then switching without a bash lag?

I think mobs are still switching insanely fast. The last couple zones i've been in I was spammed all to hell from rescuing so much. Right now mobs have !fail switch and they do it CONSTANTLY. Is there any way to tweak on this? I am pretty much lagged until 4 or 5 rounds after the fight is over because I'm rescuing so much.

E

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mobs are not !fail switch. At 59th level, I know the exact number of the odds, and it's definitely not auto. In fact, it's significantly worse than player skill.

However, if you go into a zone with 5 mobs that want to switch, of *course* they're going to keep people busy rescuing. Image
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Mon Apr 15, 2002 2:39 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:
<B>huzzah!

Depok, you don't know HOW many times I've died, solo or grouped, due to bash/switch :P

Suffice to say it rivals the number of groupmate deaths I've lead.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL from your posts that certainly is a lot! I have never had the pleasure of being in one of your groups but it sounds like a blast.

I racked up another switch death this weekend on the ship. That will teach me (and my fellow group members) to try the reavers when our tank misses the boat.

Depok gsays "hmmm Reavers hit hard and switch and my spirit sucks for rescue. But if you guys want to give it a try I'm game."

Group says "what the hell"

Order boar kick reaver

Spirit boar kicks reaver

Reaver switchs to depok landing 4 hits in one round depok down to awful

Depok.. gsa "everyone out"

Reaver hits depok hard hard hard

Depok morted

Depok hears the death cry of ronble

Ronble has left the group

Make your choice

UGH! Never going to make it to 42

Gsa sorry guys that sucked hehe
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Fri Apr 19, 2002 3:21 am

<B>< T: Ensis TC: excellent E: vicious EC: excellent P:std>
Someone shouts, 'Alright, we are ready to sail!'
The vicious reaver misses you with his hit.
You maneuver your mount to avoid the vicious reaver's attack!
The vicious reaver barely hits you.
The vicious reaver switches targets..
look
You barely slash the vicious reaver.

< 879h/701H 139p/139P 128v/128V >
< T: Zazure TC: excellent E: vicious EC: few scratches P:std>
rescue Zazure
A magnificent heavy warhorse growls at the vicious reaver.

< 878h/701H 139p/139P 128v/128V >
< T: Zazure TC: excellent E: vicious EC: few scratches P:std>
rescue Zazure
The vicious reaver hits Zazure hard.
rescue Zazure
The vicious reaver hits Zazure very hard.
rescue Zazure
The vicious reaver hits Zazure extremely hard.
rescue Zazure
You score a CRITICAL HIT!

< 877h/701H 139p/139P 128v/128V >
< T: Zazure TC: few wounds E: vicious EC: few scratches P:std>
rescue Zazure
rescue Zazure
rescue Zazure
Zazure staggers from a fearsome hit from the vicious reaver!
The vicious reaver sends Zazure sprawling with a powerful bash.
Your a holy avenger enshrouded in light SINGS and smites your foes with holy wrath!
The vicious reaver shivers, and suffers from his evilness!
The vicious reaver shivers, and suffers from his evilness!
You barely slash the vicious reaver.</B>

Is this right?

------------------
Ensis Inferni
Bish Enterprises Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Copyright 1999 Fydollaho Productions.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”