Quests

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Quests

Postby Izizimmez » Fri May 17, 2002 6:34 am

I don't know almost any quests in the game at the moment. I've never played a character past lvl 20 in the three or so years I've played until recently.

I want to figure out quests myself dammit. But the way I see it, that's really hard these days isn't it? The ones that aren't broken are done before I'd ever get a chance to see them. *sigh* I guess I'll just have to have level 40+ people show me which item goes to which mob in what order if I ever want anything.
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Postby Izizimmez » Fri May 17, 2002 6:37 am

Oh, and has anybody ever tried "Wahoos!"? They're suspiciously like bugles but in a different shape. Where's the originality??
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Fri May 17, 2002 7:00 am

I can throw ya out some tips if that'll help any.
First there's several different kinds of quests.
There are rareload quests, there are spell quests, there are god run quests, and there are standard eq quests.

Rareload quests: get real familiar with the mobs you might see in a certain area, if you suddenly see a new one, and it doesn't bite your head off start asking it questions.
ask it hello is always a good start.
look at the mob, the room, everything you can for clues.
don't figure that quest out? not uncommon, right down the info you collected, some other mob might be the starting part and refer to him.

Spell quests are sometimes similar, might be rareload, might not be.
There is at least one that I know of that has yet to be found by anyone.

God run quests, basically these are RP events, the more you RP the better odds you might have of being selected to go on one.

Standard EQ quests, ask other players for tips, some will gladly help and even join you to solve them, some will not wanna give out the info, that's their perogative.

Keep in mind not all quests are even doable by a solo person, many quests requires items you could only get with a good sized group.
But there are many that can be done solo.

Myself I think I know a grand total of 5-10 so don't feel bad if you fail at it alot, it takes alot of patience.

------------------
Gindipple (Gnome) stands here.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri May 17, 2002 7:15 am

B.S....

I have a 300kb text file with nothing but quests I found and wrote down. Over half of those were found without anyone telling me.

Be honest to yourself. When was the last time you went to scorn, CP, ZK and talked to every mob in order to find quests? Or maybe you expect those mobs to come walking to DK to talk to you instead...

What you say is a really sorry excuse and with an attitude like that you won't find anything, nor deserve to.

No pain no gain.

------------------
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Postby Izizimmez » Fri May 17, 2002 8:39 am

Thanks Gindipple for offering those tips. I wasn't really asking for anything though, I was just making a comment. I pretty much knew all that. Image But it's still appreciated.

And damn Chezra, try not to be so nice. You're making me blush. Image
I am only level 32 btw.

"What you say is a really sorry excuse and with an attitude like that you won't find anything, nor deserve to."

Did I give up on solving quests and not realize it...? What was my excuse and what was I excusing myself from? I didn't catch that part of my post. I just said how I want to find and figure out quests myself (and with a group obviously). I didn't ask for anything. That last line I wrote was sarcastic.

"It may be great for people who haven't done the quest and who are uninterested in doing it (to just get the stuff handed to them), but for the people who actually want to go through the steps, and learn it the natural way, it utterly sucks." - Iyachtu

I was reading that pack rat post and Iyachtu's comment made me want to post this. I'm just saying I'm one of those people who want to figure things out myself and the way things work out now that can sometimes "utterly suck."

And for your information (and to be honest with myself...) I do ask every mob I meet hi as well as anything else I can think of by looking their and the room's description. Excuse me for not having been throughout as much of the mud as you...obviously my having a lower amount of playing time has made me a bitter and undeserving player. I extend my apologies.

And good job on all that quest stuff you did for yourself btw. Image

[This message has been edited by Izizimmez (edited 05-17-2002).]
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri May 17, 2002 1:57 pm

Don't mind him, Izi, he's always like that, but I hear he's a decent guy when you find him off the BBS.

I have a file of quests, and it took a long time to build it up. I prefer to do all the quests myself, with as little information from other players as possible, but when I get stumped on something it doesn't bother me in the least to ask around for hints. Some people won't help at all, some will be wonderful and give you vague hints, some will spoil it and give you all the information about the quest, which doesn't make them any less wonderful, but you now know who sits in the theater and gives away the ending of the movie because they've seen it before.

Don't ask mobs just "hi" ask them "hello" too, and "greetings" if they don't respond to that. I can think of a couple of mobs that won't respond to the first two, but will the third. If none of that works, there might be clues in their short description (what you see when you walk in the room) or their long description (what you see when you look at them). Read the room descriptions, there's tons of clues to quests all over the mud in those. I understand there's a very nice quest in one area which has clues written in all the extra room descrips (if you see the word "vase" in a room descrip and can see a descrip for it when you 'look vase' that's an extra descrip).

It might help you to keep a file to refer back to. Mine is over 50 pages in Word, and the only reason it's so short is because I didn't copy down everything the mobs said when I first met them, or even the keywords I stumbled across, and for some I'm regretting that now.

It will take a while of doing it before you get to the point where you realize you've stumbled across a rare, or even that you're looking for a rare, but don't get discouraged.

Oh, and when you're really, really stumped... use your Sherlock Holmes skills. Check the name of the author of the zone, check out the other zones they've done. Sometimes they have very recognizable patterns which will show up with a bit of sleuthing.

Oh, but you've been here long enough to know all this stuff. Hmmm. Well maybe it will help somebody. If it's encouraging at all, I've almost got my first scorpion earring, and I've only been here two years now. Once you find out what you're looking for, the hard part is having the patience to stalk it.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri May 17, 2002 2:31 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ashiwi:
<B>Don't mind him, Izi, he's always like that, but I hear he's a decent guy when you find him off the BBS.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cherz believe in tough love.

Forget what you heard. Quests are like any old RPG. Talk to EVERYONE. That's the only thing you need to know.

------------------
Azuth tells you 'were you leading that disaster?'
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Fri May 17, 2002 3:53 pm

Nog Ashiwi

My GN quest file is about 50 pages alone, though I did copy down the relavent interactions on it. Didn't know about the greetings bit, or that some are specific only to room description, I'm sure I'll find a bunch more clues now.

Toplack *keepin da faith* Frostbear

------------------
Lalisa
Sojourner

Postby Lalisa » Sun May 19, 2002 12:39 pm

Thank you all for the good advices.

There is one thing I'm puzzled about. If a mob wants some things and he tells what he wants in a very cryptic manner, what is the best way to figure what he wants?

Like this:
"One of them was a beautiful earring, while the other was used by our first King"
Ok, earring, good enough. But....the other was used by our first king? that can be everything!!

So if I find something I think could be the right one, should I simply try it out?
And if it's the wrong items, then I just loose them? Is that the way to do it?

I try to ask the mob more about the items, but they almost never answer those questions.

So any advice on this topic? Image
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Sun May 19, 2002 2:47 pm

Your best bet for clues like that are to investigate the area. Check out room descriptions, other quests, other mobs. Some zones have quests that build off others, so that you have to do them in a certain order to get the right items.

In your case, you finish another mob's quest and they say "Here, have this earring. I don't believe in getting my ears pierced, so it's useless to me. Remember though, that it has been passed down through the years, all the way from the first king." etc etc. Image

Sylvos
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sun May 19, 2002 4:57 pm

First, I'll tell you right off that the quest you referred to is broken. I wish that it wasn't, I tried to do it for a long, long time, and that was a lot of time I could have used elsewhere, but it WAS a great teacher for how to do quests. When you do the other mob quests in the area you'll see that many of them will give you clues when you finish them. Also, without trying to give anything away, another mob refers to something passed down from the king... sit back and think logically about it, if it's still in the family, is there a mob that loads who might be one of his descendants? Some you have to puzzle out, some will tell you "this used to belong to so-and-so."
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Sun May 19, 2002 5:25 pm

What annoys me is the quests you know you gotta do (spell quests) I don't understand why every guildmaster in the world can't give you a clue on who to talk to to begin with.

Mabye i'm missing something totally obvious, but i can't figure out how to start the quest that I would expect would be required of me. And I think I'm asking mobs a lot, both hi, but also more excotic stuff based on their descriptions. I hope this is either just me, or just this 1 quest. And not a generic flaw in all spell-quests.

/Disoputlip
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Postby Izizimmez » Sun May 19, 2002 5:48 pm

I agree with you Disoputlip.

My Globe of Darkness quest, the mob that I'm told is the right mob to start it, doesn't respond to anything. I'm told he's broken and you just have to know that it's the right mob and give him the right stuff and it'll teach you the skill. That's dumb if it's true. There is no way I could do it without the help of someone who already knows how.
Thrand
Sojourner

Postby Thrand » Sun May 19, 2002 5:58 pm

'I agree with you Disoputlip.
My Globe of Darkness quest, the mob that I'm told is the right mob to start it, doesn't respond to anything. I'm told he's broken and you just have to know that it's the right mob and give him the right stuff and it'll teach you the skill. That's dumb if it's true. There is no way I could do it without the help of someone who already knows how.'

This is utter and complete nonsense.

I did this quest with no knowledge of it all.
I kwew it was in the game, thats it.
If you actually went thru the steps in this quest, the last mob is about as obvious as the nose on ur face. But u would have to actually read what the mobs tell u when u talk to them. There are some 'extremely' obtuse quests on this mud but this is not one of them.

Ezza

------------------
Lalisa
Sojourner

Postby Lalisa » Sun May 19, 2002 7:38 pm

Thank you Sylvos and Ashiwi.

I will continue to look around and search some more even if it's broken, but thanks a bunch for letting me know Image

But if I'm in doubt of what item I should give the mob, is that the first clue that I don't know the right item?
I mean..perhaps I won't be in doubt when I find the right item (not for this quest, for a bunch of others).

Ok, thanks again for the advice. I really begin to feel at home on the Island Image
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun May 19, 2002 7:56 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lalisa:
<B>Thank you Sylvos and Ashiwi.

I will continue to look around and search some more even if it's broken, but thanks a bunch for letting me know Image

But if I'm in doubt of what item I should give the mob, is that the first clue that I don't know the right item?
I mean..perhaps I won't be in doubt when I find the right item (not for this quest, for a bunch of others).

Ok, thanks again for the advice. I really begin to feel at home on the Island Image</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sometimes u just lose items. No guts no glory.

------------------
Gyrx tells you '100% spank?'
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Postby Izizimmez » Sun May 19, 2002 8:02 pm

Ahh. Thanks Ezz, I was hoping what I was told wasn't the case. I haven't actually started it yet (lvl 32), I was just told that that was how it is.
I'm glad to know that it isn't broken.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”