Ranger Tanks

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Waelos
Sojourner

Ranger Tanks

Postby Waelos » Mon Jun 03, 2002 4:10 pm

Hello! I just was reading another thread that started discussing ranger tanks. I wanted to give everyone my 2 cents on the issue, and in doing so help everyone out, I Think =)

Rangers _can_ tank. Especially since the upgrades, we have a real role that we can fill. When everyone has eaten 3 clouds, chances are the warriors are pretty nerfed. Rescue them! (in moderation) Chances are you'll give them the 2-3 round break so they can survive with their low hps. Typically, warriors don't have the greatest save vs spell. . . You, as a ranger should! Stack that with Nature's blessing and you're in a prime spot to tank in a pinch.

Now, that is rather dependent on your group mates respecting you and your ability to rescue and tank. (practice those skills!!) Casters, don't be afraid to throw a ranger a stone mid fight. He might be the one who stands between you and a Deathknight's love touch, if you know what I mean. *grin*.

Now, we all know stone and scales drops like a bish in heat when you're hitting a shielded mob. . . so request ward (if there is a spare) or: displace!! =) Bring those illusionists!! It doesnt get nerfed by fire/cold shield and will save your ass more often than not when rescuing injured tanks/casters!

Folks!! Wear prot fire/cold. Allways.(well, wear all prots when you can, but especially fire and cold). Why? You take half damage from fire/cold shield. You'll live twice as long as before when your globe drops and windsong procs or you crit. *shudder*

Try to carry vit potions. Your vit is always going to fall mid fight (it seems, don't it?) usually about the time things are getting ugly and someone's gotta try and save the day. . . well, quaff that bad boy and go to town! =)

Never let your ac be sub -100. err sub? or above? hrmm these negatives messin me up! lol anyway -100 or better, always. AC does seem to make a bit of a difference. You'll need every advantage!

Rangers make fine primary tanks as well, if you can believe it. I've tanked dragons alone before. Now I might be a special case but I don't think so (well Im a 'special case' to my therapists but, thats neither here nor there). . . anyway! As we all know, spells are the keys to tanking. If you've got a tight group willing to work a little extra hard, rangers can tank pretty well. Why bother, you ask? You'd be amazed at the increase in damage production. Rangers can get their parry and riposte to 80/85. And you'll get at least one extra attack per round (on average) vs a mob with your riposte. That will increase your proc rate and thus your sheer damage output.

Tanking as a ranger means you've got to push yourself as a class/player. . . and it is very important to have group members who understand your style and skills. Neither are easy to come by, but with time and patience, both will come. . . often as a result of eachother.

Thanks for listening, I hope this helps folks.

WeyWae, Rangertank

------------------
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Jun 03, 2002 6:28 pm

Wey, I want you to clear out roots for me.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Jun 03, 2002 7:32 pm

Now if only the stoners read this and actually stoned you. Don't look at me i'm too busy stoning casters Image

------------------
Dartan group-says 'Malacar I'm going to dropkick you for starting that omg Ymir thing'
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Mon Jun 03, 2002 7:46 pm

good call lost! I always keep my rangers stoned/scaled just for these reasons... Rangers are a warrior class for a reason Image let them tank for you!
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:08 am

alright! the oxymoron game!

i have two...

Jumbo Shrimp

Military Intelligence
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Jun 04, 2002 12:15 pm

yea stone is good. maybe its not that rangers can't tank, its more that some rangers dont know when they can. can = grouping with a stoner (shaman or enchanter or elementalist) that can do more than stone the primary tanks.
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Wed Jun 05, 2002 1:06 am

I'd better learn how to shoot a bow or backstab or something....damn rangers trying to put me outta work...

------------------
Meatshield

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”