twilight

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
kiryan
Sojourner

twilight

Postby kiryan » Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:47 pm

whats your opinion nostalgia weapon or owns? id say nostalgia compared to thinkgs like darkened steel and gythka, perhaps even 2h gith. id like to see it return to prominence via whichever means (downgrade other weapons or ugprade twilight).

some ideas: upgrade dice/hit/dam, put double/triple procs back in like in the old days. maybe you need to tweak the proc to reduce chance for proc while already beserked (100+ damrolls was pretty crazy).

anyhow im not really for ugprading power, but i dislike seeing twilights sitting in backpacks in favor of things like gythka. sure invasion really isnt all that uber anymore, but then again searching for a couple of rather rare mobs really isnt all that special either (however it is harder).

btw i have none of these so no personal gain involved. and id rather see the others downgraded but anyways
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Postby Gromikazer » Wed Jun 12, 2002 1:37 pm

I think the best change is to make the twilight proc last a round longer. Currently it cancels an attack to proc, and assuming your hasted thats a max of 8 hits if you hit all times, and aren't tanking.

Twilight has its uses... e.g. demon/dragon/MR fights... I would like to see it a tad better though...

------------------
Gromikazer Terrorforge -Veldruk- Orbdrin D'oloth
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Jun 12, 2002 1:41 pm

Yeah i think twilight should be the best overall weapon.. and get its name back. heh.

I certainly think its wierd when an item that 5 or so people can do just about every step for, the gythka, is generally better than an invasion reward...

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Wed Jun 12, 2002 2:02 pm

Gythka sucks in the hands of drows/yuans.

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 12, 2002 2:28 pm

I've thought about upgrading twilight, but one thing has stuck out that imho makes twilight worth so much more.

Set char bits : FARSEE SENSE-LIFE INFRA PR-FIRE

Gythka has no such bonuses. And pound for pound damage wise, their procs do about the same damage, Gythka has some other nifty things it can do, but, then again, so does Twilight.

I'll look at losing an attack on proc, I fixed that for Gythka, can prolly fix it for twilight as well, but I'm really not in favor of making it any stronger than it is.

-Garg

------------------

Gargauth the Outcast
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:22 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gargamel:
<B>I've thought about upgrading twilight, but one thing has stuck out that imho makes twilight worth so much more.

Set char bits : FARSEE SENSE-LIFE INFRA PR-FIRE

Gythka has no such bonuses. And pound for pound damage wise, their procs do about the same damage, Gythka has some other nifty things it can do, but, then again, so does Twilight.

I'll look at losing an attack on proc, I fixed that for Gythka, can prolly fix it for twilight as well, but I'm really not in favor of making it any stronger than it is.

-Garg

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

pff = common
infra = mistweave
sense life = raven patch
farsee = jade bracelet.

how about making it so the twilight proc gives an extra attack a round?

------------------
Dartan group-says 'Malacar I'm going to dropkick you for starting that omg Ymir thing'
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:23 pm

i think a weapon of this calibre should be !drop.

that would allow warriors to use it...well..all the time and not worry about fumbling it into a 3 inch square puddle and losing it.
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:33 pm

How about upgrading 1h slashers instead?

------------------
Izarek / Raevithar / Fyzzlroo

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:36 pm

Dalar:
pff = common
infra = mistweave
sense life = raven patch
farsee = jade bracelet.

Thats fine and dandy, cept how much hit/dam do you have to lose to get all of that? The point is that you get all of that in one item, that has max hit/dam for a 2h weapon and max dice for a 2h weapon AND procs.

And Tey, twilight floats. making it nodrop doesn't really matter that much with floating magic weapons, they don't go into puddles :P

Again, I prolly won't change the power of the proc at all, I'm not going to have it proc an extra attack, it does do alot of damage and procs quite a bit. What I will do is make it so you don't lose an attack when it procs.

-G

------------------

Gargauth the Outcast
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:58 pm

Damn, so there are a bunch of twilights out there not being used, just sitting in peoples bags? Well then what the hell?!? Give me one! Sheesh.

:P

------------------
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Jun 12, 2002 7:19 pm

The only common warrior class that doesn't have innate infra are barbarians. Farsee on an item is just about worthless now.. you can pop a potion in those rare circumstances where it would be useful. I'm not sure what other warrior items have sense life.. that could be a big one.

Yeah I think adding an extra round would be a very good compromise.. or even removing those bonuses and upping its damage even more. Thanks for looking into it garg.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Jun 12, 2002 7:31 pm

I wish there was a dagger with all those perks on it.

------------------
-Yayaril

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 12, 2002 8:22 pm

Well if you wielded the dagger two-handed it could be possible yayaril...

------------------
Kelemvor - God of the Dead, and Cemeteries
Areas Wank
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Jun 12, 2002 8:35 pm

Okay, that confused me. If you wield two weapons with Farsee do you get some kind of super-duper xray vision?
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Wed Jun 12, 2002 8:35 pm

Yeah, we should re do all items that do are no longer valuable in this era of the game.

Like invasion is even hard or merits an extremely powerful weapon...

We are talking about a game in which tiamat was killed within less than a year of up time, and not only killed once but 4 times.

Cheers!

------------------
Ilshad

"Your accomplishment is nothing compared to the glory that is Ilshadrial!!" Yayaril
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed Jun 12, 2002 10:31 pm

Twilight owns. Nuff said.

I have this argument constantly with others about which is better. IMHO, Twilight is better for trolls and ogres with their superstr and higher crit percentages. Battletrance berserk + twilight proc = insane damroll (80-90+).

I agree that the proc shouldn't hose that one attack, and I also agree maybe it should last a round longer...OR the proc % could be upped a tiny bit (fraction of a percent) to compensate for this.

Twilight will never have its proper name back due to the "artifacts/relics" discussion back on Toril, and all named items being taken out of the game. I do think it needs a slightly better name than just "a black longsword of destruction".

a pitch-black fire giant longsword of the twilight furies

I can come up with the ansi if you want Garg. :P The word twilight could be replaced by midnight if necessary.

Just my 2 brain cells.

Deathmagnet
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed Jun 12, 2002 10:42 pm

actually garg i still on occaison have nightmares of when hadjan fumbled his twilight in hp and the armor smith guy picked it up and proceeded to clean house.

fumbling just sucks ass, and a weapon that is not only impossible for average players like myself to ever see, let alone the elites who will most likely only see one, should be !fumble.

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 12, 2002 11:46 pm

Tey, if you don't want to drop your weapon. Curse it. And I don't care if you lose damage from it, you lose more damage from having it on the ground than you lose with a curse :P

-G

------------------

Gargauth the Outcast
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Thu Jun 13, 2002 1:51 am

er dont have one garg.

and i already curse all my weapons.

but i'm one of a few who are willing to do that and lose one dice.

i mean, etched dagger comes cursed.

fiery mace comes cursed

ebony ls comes cursed

why it a big deal?
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:09 am

i didnt forget all the flags but i tend to agree with corth, easily obtainable elsewhere. drop the flags if thats what is holding you back from beefing it up. well cept the float flag (unless you wanna replace it with the nodrop/curse flag).

thanks for looking into the losing a hit that will make it better.

gromi how do you think twilight stacks up against darkened steel and its unshruggable dam proc? course i could be wrong about it, but just speculating.

illshad what is hard? thorn? more like long and annoying. clouds is hard often. standing 1e of a stack of mobs and continuously spelling up charging and shifting in the dead isnt really hard is it? some skills yes, great eq and lucky rolls yes.

targsk whats an extra 40 damroll on 7 or 8 hits vs a proc that does roughly the same damage plus proc multiple times. as far as i understand it also ignores racial str and bonuses like battletrance/heroism in its calculations. frankly its quite limited and isn't really up to snuff with today's standards.

anyhow ever wonder how twilight lost its stature?
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Jun 13, 2002 12:36 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corth:
<B>The only common warrior class that doesn't have innate infra are barbarians. Farsee on an item is just about worthless now.. you can pop a potion in those rare circumstances where it would be useful. I'm not sure what other warrior items have sense life.. that could be a big one.

Yeah I think adding an extra round would be a very good compromise.. or even removing those bonuses and upping its damage even more. Thanks for looking into it garg.

Corth

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If these flags are not special or uber, then why is the amulet of sight so sought after? Seems kinda silly that you dont want all of that on a kick ass weapon and not have to waste the 1/2 or whatever you wear on neck at the time to wear the amulet...those flags, or coarse are more used by explorer classes and zone leaders, but sheesh. We are talking about a weapon that is an amulet of sight with pff and some bad ass hit/dam and procs.

If somebody has a twilight and isnt using it...you should be smacked around, robbed, and thrown in a trash container.

I think you guys said you lose an attack when it procs? well yes that should be changed...a weapon of that stature should have a drawback.

------------------
Kifle "It Slipped I swear!" ButteryFingers
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Thu Jun 13, 2002 1:22 pm

Gar,

Perhaps add the old Berserk skill to the weapon, then we will see how fun it can really be.

------------------
Ilshad

"Your accomplishment is nothing compared to the glory that is Ilshadrial!!" Yayaril
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Thu Jun 13, 2002 3:31 pm

kifle..

folks want amulets of sight cause they can get all of that in one slot, instead of using several slots.
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:23 pm

On Soj2 I wanted a twilight for the infra/sense/farsee as Jurdex. Image Never was big on causing damage.. after all, yer a warrior.

Dornax
Jurdex

------------------
The Raven of Wisdom

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
"My Honor is My Life"
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:02 pm

Kifle, amulet of sight has something very big that twilight doesn't have: Detect Invis. How many of those items do you see floating around the game?

I'm not speculating. Barbs are the only real warrior class without infra. The only thing that is arguable as being nifty for warriors on the twilight are farsee and sense life. Most people that have twilights are likely to also have flaming/lightning earrings so there is your farsee. And like i said, sense life is probably VERY nifty from a good weapon like twilight. So I do give credit there where it is due.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Postby Gromikazer » Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:07 pm

Ya, as we know, warriors shouldn't want to cause damage. Rangers, and Anti's and paladins should cause damage, but WAIT! Evils don't have those classes, so who do we replace them with... warriors. If nothing else, evil warriors want to cause damage.

Twilight proc works as follows. Take your hit/dam, minus your racial stats, minus the twilight stats, minus heroism stats, minus battletrance stats, then double it, then add all the stats back in. In other words, I've yet to see it add 40 damroll. I've seen it add 25-30 damroll for 5-6 attacks and then been gone. While I think gythka procs as much damage, I don't think its as consistant. Then again, gythka has other benifets..

------------------
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:11 pm

So it doubles your base.
apprentice
Sojourner

Postby apprentice » Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:30 pm

How does a player know the exact workings of the twilight proc?

If Gargauth says it does at least the same damage as any other 2hnder, why do ppl argue?

[This message has been edited by apprentice (edited 06-13-2002).]
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Postby Gromikazer » Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:45 am

I know, because I have had one for months. I have tested it over and over. I tested it again and again. Unless there is some super invis hit/dam thing, its what I said it was.

------------------
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Fri Jun 14, 2002 2:05 am

I use my Twighlight constantly, I love it. I was even caled Gormal last night for wielding it as only basher, oh the fun. Seriously as a barb warrior who leads lots, it is decidedly sexy.

I agree with Jurdex that I use it for the SL/INFRA/PFF and for the sheer sexiness. The Damage on Ladak is very low already cos I use lots of saves, AC and HP (and ridiculous strength). So when twighlight procs I am still dealing out wussy damage. Since the proc doesnt raise me much cos I have little to start with I find I break mobs faster with a flammy due to lots of damage proc, my 1h weapon is even pretty close.

Oh, prot fire got me in trouble that time I ressed and couldnt wield it or get an earring out hehe...*grins*...good times good times..

The main problem that twighlight has been faced with is that when shieldblock came into play, you lost a major defensive skill if you wanted to go 2h. For large Giant/Efreet/Dragon fights I switch to a shield.

The name and color suite me to a tee. Pls dont change this on the standard issue, if you want to upgrade later, so be it *whistle*. Destruction has always been Ladak's warcry and wearing all black and red and flamning things, this sword sits very nicely. *grins*

Ladak

------------------
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Jun 14, 2002 2:21 am

agree some sarell disagree that twilight got nerfed by shieldblock. it doesnt stack up to gythka, md sword, perhaps others. the damage calc that gromi indicates i believe was also redone back during the great pre-invoker nerf.

its a great leader weapon always was its primary focus imo. but it was also an uber 2h once upon a time.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”