con·de·scend

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Izizimmez
Sojourner

con·de·scend

Postby Izizimmez » Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:19 am

con·de·scend Pronunciation Key (knd-snd)
intr.v. con·de·scend·ed, con·de·scend·ing, con·de·scends
1. To descend to the level of one considered inferior; lower oneself. See Synonyms at stoop.
2. To deal with people in a patronizingly superior manner.

I'm pissed right now and I'm going to vent. I'm sick and tired of people and their condescending attitudes. Just because I don't know everything about the mud, i.e. quest, zones, dirs, eq stats, does not mean I'm an idiot or that I don't know how to play the game. I'm sorry that I didn't find the mud until late into Sojourn 2. There's nothing I can do about my lesser amount of experience playing.

There is nothing more sickening and distasteful than someone actually laughing at me for not knowing something specific. It's happened at least 5 times in the past week now.

I am learning. I'm sure there was a time when you weren't omniscient yourself. Teach, don't condescend.

P.S. That 'angry smiley' in the title to this thread looks too goofy. It makes me less pissed off looking at it...accursed smiley...

------------------
Tog Vicious
Azenilsee
Sojourner

Postby Azenilsee » Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:21 am

Well put.

------------------
Azenilsee - Faern Dalharil - Orbdrin D'Oloth
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:30 am

Just copy/paste it here when it happens... not everyone is like that and I'm sure those who 'condescend' are worried about those higher up in the player hierarchy reading it here. I for one would like to see this nonsense... Newbies = good, as long as they are willing to learn, which I'm sure you are Image

------------------
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:05 pm

amen Cherz!

The mud thrives on new people imho .. and when we dont allow the new people to grow we are hurting our favorite game!

-Ambar the forever newbie-
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:46 pm

Cherz, if he did that he'd take all the flack for bringing his dirty laundry to the BBS, and then we'd start getting those super-long flamefest posts.

I still get laughed at a lot, I just show them the back of my middle finger and move on.

Peace and love, peace and love.
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Postby Izizimmez » Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:02 pm

Well believe it or not it has been lvl 50 players on all occasions. I don't think they intend to sound the way they do though. They seem to just forget that not every level 30+ player is an experienced alt. I never experienced anything like this until I got into high enough levels for people to mistake me for someone who might know the mud really well. It certainly never happened when I was very low level.

I'm not posting any specifics for that reason, in addition to Ashiwi's. Any out there that have done this to me know who they are. I don't let it go by them unnoticed..

I don't hold grudges either. And I'm not pissed anymore. Image

P.S. I don't want to focus on the bad, so I'd also like to thank those that have been really nice about teaching me the ropes and generally helping me out. I wouldn't stay here if I just ran into assholes all the time. Image

------------------
Tog Vicious
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:15 pm

Take it as a compliment that you are mistaken for someone more experienced. Obviously they respect your skills to take you. . .and figure that someone with your skills should know some simple things that come with the long ptime that usually accompanies this skill development. Just respond with 'yo, I only got mad skillz atm, not mad knowledge. teach me!'

Lost

------------------
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Mon Jun 24, 2002 5:27 pm

dont feel bad man. ive been here for 7 years and people still treat me like dirt Image its a fun game tho

------------------
-Daz Proudwolf, Tapestry Pirate
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
FS: All my irrelevant psychology textbooks.
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:37 pm

you know, that angry face is funny. i'm laughing and laughing and laughing. dang that's a funny face. and he looks like he has a sunburng. he's is sure a funny face thingy. way to point out the gems in life.

sok

ps. hey who's your high lvl alt?

[This message has been edited by sok (edited 06-24-2002).]
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Postby Izizimmez » Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:08 pm

lol Image

------------------
Tog Vicious
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Mon Jun 24, 2002 11:03 pm

I totally agree there Izizimmez. I am the same way...I didn't start playing (or replaying) this mud until one year ago. Before that I played Duris. So I don't know equipment, zones, or even people real well. Because I am a noob (to this mud) other feel I don't deserve to have certain pieces of eq or go to certain zones...but that is life I guess. I enjoy this mud, enjoy other players, and never take anything seriously. So if you got a problem with me, tell me please about it, and maybe I can explain myself...the answer could be as simple as "I didn't know that"

A little understanding is needed because we all don't know everything. I admit sometimes I goof up, sometimes my questions would be annoying, but put yourselves in my shoes. I am unable to learn if I don't make mistakes. Personally I rather have the person in my group say "I've never done this" than to sit quietly and not learn a thing.

I'll continue to try, I'll continue to pass on the knowledge I have and most important, I'll try and remember this is only a game.

------------------
Meatshield

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”