Had to post a new pet rant

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
old depok
Sojourner

Had to post a new pet rant

Postby old depok » Tue Jul 09, 2002 4:01 pm

So last night I am doing manscorps and summon a spirit. Granted the spirit is small (about 450 hps). I average anywhere from 550-650 hps normally for spirits.

Someone in my group summons a god damn Bugbear that has about 650 hps. Think it was a ranger. Now anyone can have a better pet than a shaman!

So I ask you, what was the point of nuking shaman spirits? Everyone has pets now. Druids, Elementalists, Necros, paladins. Everyone else can have a pet as well. Bugbears, snakes, or para elemental scrolls.

Shaman are the only pets that have a limit on the number of times you can summon them (except paladins and they are no fail).

They are the only pets you have to quest for.

Don't lose that totem either or it costs you 1000 Plat to replace it.

They hitall and have so low hps that they are dead meat quickly after level 35-40.

No one will globe them so they die in a zone fighting the first mob in the room.

They are switch bait cause they can't bash.

Their rescue is unreliable.

We can't even light them without spending money on !weight candles because they can't carry 1 ration without being fatigued.

How about we make summon totem a spell and do away with the totems and the limit on the number? How unbalancing would that really be?

In the meantime where do I get one of those bug bears? Now they seem useful!
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Jul 09, 2002 4:12 pm

Bugbears might have similar hps to a spirit but they cannot tank nearly as well. Spirits are still better then anything other than necro pets..

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Tue Jul 09, 2002 4:20 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corth:
<B>Bugbears might have similar hps to a spirit but they cannot tank nearly as well. Spirits are still better then anything other than necro pets..

Corth

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll trade my spirit for an elemental any day.

And what level 40+ shaman is having a spirit tank for them for anything other than a CR or to twink something? Certaily not for exp. And definetly not in a zone. Spirits die way to fast.
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Postby Gromikazer » Tue Jul 09, 2002 4:21 pm

I vote for changing one thing. Let them be dragonscaled, thats it. It is all that is needed. Spirts are good pets. Pc tanks is the way of the mud.

Spirits are better rescuers then 95% of the warriors of the same level as the spirit. They attempt to rescue you even if they do a kick. My spirit has never done a hitall this wipe. *shrug*

P.s. My shaman uses his spirit for tanking all the time. He solo's ship exp with it all day long.

------------------
Gromikazer Terrorforge -Veldruk- Orbdrin D'oloth

[This message has been edited by Gromikazer (edited 07-09-2002).]
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Tue Jul 09, 2002 4:22 pm

All pets die quickly. That's the way it is this wipe.

------------------
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Tue Jul 09, 2002 4:37 pm

Yes but all other pets are recoverable. You can't lose the ability to summon your pets either.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Tue Jul 09, 2002 6:53 pm

I solo ship with my spirit, too ..

I see your point, and wish we got more than three spirits in a mud week (been failing a LOT lately, like 2/3) .. but spirits are awesome tanks .. it doesnt matter what the hps are if the AC is better ..

hell the other day i (lvl 50 shaman) had a lvl 42 illusi tank for me (go go gadget saucy) on smoke .. he had like 243 hps unvitted... my AC suxors ... think i need to work on that .. max_wis doesnt seem to help as whole hell of a lot .... and i think i'd live longer on switching mobs with better AC

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Jul 09, 2002 7:09 pm

That was someone using a sandlewood figuring to get a bugbear last night.. If you remember it went in and died instantly :P
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Jul 11, 2002 3:33 am

spirits are the best pets in the game. ask anyone in DSR/DSL how well sparky has tanked for them. it's so memorable that they even remember i call him sparky. they rejoice when i summon him. we kick out players just to group him. sparky > all. as for failing a summon? yea i think i did like a FEW WEEKS AGO. there's a way to increase your chances... enjoy Image

please don't change spirits in any way. maybe the amt u can summon should equal to level / 10.

------------------
Dartan group-says 'Malacar I'm going to dropkick you for starting that omg Ymir thing'
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:43 am

I agree with Dart, shaman spirits are way way better than elementals. The only thing Elementals have over spirits is I can make as many as I want, shaman have a limit. Spirits tank better, have better hps, take less damage and rescue just as well as elementals. Hell, at 48 with lvl-max specialize and spellcast elemental I still get elementals with 180ish hps, or I can get one with maybe 400.

P.S. And no, I'm not complaining. I'm quite happy with the tools I have to work with Image

[This message has been edited by Tanji Smanji (edited 07-11-2002).]
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Postby Gromikazer » Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:06 am

Necro/Lich pets > Spirits.

Easily and in every situation.

Period.

------------------
Gromikazer Terrorforge -Veldruk- Orbdrin D'oloth

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”