Entangle

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Sarell
Sojourner

Entangle

Postby Sarell » Sat Mar 09, 2002 9:41 am

Could it be made to work in the semi-nature rooms. As it is can't really use it for anything as most mobs in a situation where entangle could save the day certanily are not in the forest.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Mar 11, 2002 2:43 pm

Bump this shiznit up. I'm sick of seeing that twinky staff proc entangle on places like smoke, yet druids who have the spell can't even get it to work. IMHO that's ridiculous. If it won't work on the plane why should the proc work? Conversely if the proc works let poor druids cast a useful spell.

Thanke.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Mar 17, 2002 9:27 pm

no love for taxis, it seems.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Mar 18, 2002 10:03 am

the procs on weapons are getting if not already are ridiculous. id like to see proc % scaled way back or make changing weapons during combat impossible or failable.

warrior gets weapon1 from his bag
warrior wields weapon1
mob is blinded by a proc on a weapon1
warrior unwields weapon1
warrior gets weapon2 from his bag
warrior wields weapon2
warrior gets amazing hit/dam from a proc on a weapon2
warrior unwields weapon2
warrior gets weapon3 from his bag
warrior wields weapon3
mob gets slowd/parad/poisoned by a proc on a weapon3
warrior unwields weapon3
mob dies

warrior makes prideful comments about:
how he has x other weapons that are all but useless because of his weaponnumberX
how his weapons suck compared to playerx
never getting to use his weaponx that procs bash/bark/faeriefire/firestrike/ect...

come on are we warriors or mages waving our magic wands shaped like swords/maces/daggers?

and its really the multitude and power of the effects rather than the damage based procs that im adverse to.

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 03-18-2002).]
gordex
Sojourner

Postby gordex » Tue Mar 19, 2002 3:08 am

Entangle is a cool 9th circle spell that we almost never get to use. Perhaps give the mob a + spsv modifier when not in nature?

Gordex - Gordex Travel Agency
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Mar 28, 2002 11:04 pm

While I recognize my initial post was a little hot-headed, could an admin please address why entangle procs work where entangle itself does not? And additionally, why druids have some neat-looking spells that are useless in 90% of zones due to their requiring pure nature rooms?

Thanks. =)
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Fri Mar 29, 2002 2:43 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
<B>the procs on weapons are getting if not already are ridiculous. id like to see proc % scaled way back or make changing weapons during combat impossible or failable.

warrior gets weapon1 from his bag
warrior wields weapon1
mob is blinded by a proc on a weapon1
warrior unwields weapon1
warrior gets weapon2 from his bag
warrior wields weapon2
warrior gets amazing hit/dam from a proc on a weapon2
warrior unwields weapon2
warrior gets weapon3 from his bag
warrior wields weapon3
mob gets slowd/parad/poisoned by a proc on a weapon3
warrior unwields weapon3
mob dies

warrior makes prideful comments about:
how he has x other weapons that are all but useless because of his weaponnumberX
how his weapons suck compared to playerx
never getting to use his weaponx that procs bash/bark/faeriefire/firestrike/ect...

come on are we warriors or mages waving our magic wands shaped like swords/maces/daggers?
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm, just because some players have such poor attitude to think like you say, dont mean that proccing weapons necessarily need major changes.

This is a ridiculous idea.
Such weapons as you refer to are hardly easy to get nor common, nor do many of them proc like you say regularly and reliably.

And most warriors very much like to have a range of proccing weapons and be able to cycle through them at will, and enjoy this factor in the game.

Also, I beleive the coders fully consider all such procs for game balance, and examine it in due course.

Lastly, if you don like it, dont get/bid for/have them.. give them to somone who does :P

We should be thankful of all the hard work the applicable coders have put in to add such a fun aspect to this game, imo.

Mogr.

[This message has been edited by ssar (edited 03-29-2002).]

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 31, 2002 5:08 am

Well Mori, to answer your question, because the weapon isn't an entangle weapon?

Entangle causes the vegetation in the room to grab on to the target and hold him in place. If there is not enough vegetation, then duh, can't entangle.

The weapon if you read the proc generates its own vegetation.

-Garg

------------------

Gargauth the Outcast
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Mon Apr 01, 2002 12:47 am

warrior smorrior...weapon smepon...i care not...

Entangle however it would be cool if was made like that proc, perhaps we can bring some vines with us? Again, a very cool spell that the restrictions deem useless.
Lalsed
Sojourner

Postby Lalsed » Mon Apr 01, 2002 2:25 am

http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000348.html

An easy fix! Although a very debateable one. If a weapon can generate plantlife why can't a druid somehow? oh well, I just like the idea.

------------------
Lalsed the Druid of Destruction...?
gordex
Sojourner

Postby gordex » Wed Apr 03, 2002 1:07 am

nm, I'm done trying for now.

Gordex - Gordex Travel Agency

[This message has been edited by Gordex (edited 04-03-2002).]
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed Apr 03, 2002 2:42 am

Been playing with it some more since folk were asking me about it. There is no reason whatsoever I would use entangle solo.

In zones, there is one zone where it could be used to save the group from a rampaging troll if it lasted longer, if the one troll could take your group anyway and if, wouldn't happen.

Gordex calm down man :P Gods are here to have fun aswell Image *duck* I do appreciate and feel you frustration on some topics.

Ways to improve entangle:

Make it work in semi-nature rooms. This still would not encompass most zones on the mud but may make it get used occasionally. If you want to know what zones are semi and what are indoors ask your local friendly druid, there are lots Image NOTE: even outdoor zones the serious mobs are indoors.

Duration is good for a 50 druid with max skills. Not big and twinky, not insigniicant.

I can land entangle with similar rates of success / failure on mobs from lvl 1 - 50 it seems. The rate however is rather mediocre and would certainly not be a reliable way of saving anyone. Also you would need to mem pretty much all entangles in that slot to be reliable, and at the option of giving up hailstorms and shift, this is not very likely. I would like to see entangle land near all the time.

Make entangle have a 50% chance of putting a 'slow' effect on the mob as per slow spell. This is very fitting with the spell. At the moment a mob still functions normally in the room even though ensnared by vines. Making it para would be too good, slow would be excellent. I think this is a particularly good idea btw *skip*.

Have a message in glance/look that shows that something is entangled. - "Writhing vines ensnare her."

Have a message show when the spell duration ends - "The vines entangling a big moose release their grip and return to the earth."

Safe travels.
Sarell - Calm Mist -
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Apr 05, 2002 6:41 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gargamel:
<B>Well Mori, to answer your question, because the weapon isn't an entangle weapon?

Entangle causes the vegetation in the room to grab on to the target and hold him in place. If there is not enough vegetation, then duh, can't entangle.

The weapon if you read the proc generates its own vegetation.

-Garg

OK... we can cause sticks to grow into trees, but we can't cause vines that already exist to grow just a little more. Could this possibly be changed so we could use it in half nature?

I'd really like to actually get to use the spell.

And thanks for clarifying in re: the proc. I have never had that weapon.
Ionari
Sojourner

Postby Ionari » Sun Apr 21, 2002 11:05 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:
OK... we can cause sticks to grow into trees, but we can't cause vines that already exist to grow just a little more.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We can pull sticks out of our asses on Smoke too... go figure. (:

Io
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Apr 21, 2002 2:33 pm

twilight's proc does not work if you remove it...hit dam bonuses only remain while wielded. and even if it did..omg fear the 2-3 rounds of enhanced hitdam.

------------------
Gormal Stoneforge -Hammerstrike-

"Forward Mithrilguard!"
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Apr 22, 2002 8:19 am

Wield Twilight, proc, remove Twilight.
Wield Windsong, triple proc.
Go to forum, post about how studly you are.
*jizz*

- Ragorn
Do not remind me that Twilight is... oh forget it.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Apr 22, 2002 10:10 am

thx info regarding twilight, i didnt know you lost the bonuses when you unwielded it.

proc'ing weapons are one of the most fun aspects of this game, especially for warriors. however, i think some weapons have far too many procs and i think some weapons have procs that are too powerful. id rather see weapons that proc be more specialized and limited.

Gythka is really sick shit imo.
GCD has far too many procs (not that they are powerful ones, just too many)
Flamberge, any many damage based weapons, proc way too often.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Fri Apr 26, 2002 12:06 am

BBZzzzzTTTTTTT!!!

Stop talking about twighlight...that staff shenanegan was bad enough, entangle dang nabbit!

*skip*

------------------
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed May 01, 2002 6:29 pm

I have a question:
I remember in sojourn 1 Branta proc'd with his twilight then fumbled. When I picked it up, I got the hit/dam bonuses. Does this still work? Every twilight wielder says i'm wrong.

Postby Guest » Wed May 01, 2002 8:31 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dalar:
<B>I have a question:
I remember in sojourn 1 Branta proc'd with his twilight then fumbled. When I picked it up, I got the hit/dam bonuses. Does this still work? Every twilight wielder says i'm wrong.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That proc has been worked on since, and if I remember right you don't get the bonuses. It checks more frequently, basically. Image
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu May 02, 2002 7:41 pm

Heh, thanks Iya.

Any word on entangle? =P

------------------
Imis tells you 'everyone has a spank now and then'
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Tue Jul 09, 2002 12:53 pm

Ah ha,here iis thht thread, now this, is a 9th irc spel that needs works! I still thiink the ddea i postted kkicck ass, specialll aboutt semi nnature anndd a slow effect. ggoddamn thhe repeat rate on this is silly, mutter, spose ii should chhange iit.shrug. BUMP, ill give it a go? send me enntangle + slow coode! *grins*

------------------
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Jul 09, 2002 2:52 pm

Either Sarell is using lynx, or Yaya hacked his account.

Anyhow... I find it the irony of fate that when an imm DOES address a thread about useless druid spells, he ignores the actual thread subject :P

------------------
Touk says 'know you not I am Touk, slayer of stupid giants?'
Abbayarra
Sojourner

Postby Abbayarra » Tue Jul 09, 2002 8:27 pm

I say a druid only weapon that when it procs it changes the room to a nature room.
Heh, easy solution to a umm.... thorny problem.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Sun Jul 14, 2002 1:01 am

...Entangle is like a 9th circle minor P that only works in full nature and still lets the mob attack you in the room....

------------------

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 14, 2002 1:08 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:
<B>Either Sarell is using lynx, or Yaya hacked his account.

Anyhow... I find it the irony of fate that when an imm DOES address a thread about useless druid spells, he ignores the actual thread subject :P

Yes, it would seem ironic, on the surface. However, since it obviously indicates that IMMS are reading the thread, one might take that as a positive sign, no?
Igvar
Sojourner

Postby Igvar » Sun Jul 14, 2002 1:47 am

Hate to add to the hijacking of this thread but...

Warrior's are fairly limited in their "fun" department as far as neat little tricks and such. No real skills past the early levels(other than suicide headbutt or loose your weapon disarm), but that's ok. Warrior's are powerful, we can't do all the neat little tricks or time idling games(portal roulette anyone) but we are far from useless.

However, one aspect every warrior seems to look forward to is to get his/her hands on that spiffy uber sword o'death. Just to show they have it and "ooo and ahh" over the interesting effects spit out.

Even the most powerful weapons have very little overall impact in the grand scheme of things. Sure, a gythka para on Mr. Bigbadassmofo is great log forum fodder but in reality it saved maybe 15 mins of time and happens on such a rare basis as to be a nonevent.

What it does provide is some enjoyment to the people that worked at their characters to get these nifty little toys after a good long time. Adding enjoyment to a game is always great in my eyes.

Also, I'd like to mention, the work put into the various procs in this game is wonderful and one of the aspects of Sojourn I am fond of. Just thought I'd mention this as few compliments usually come off of internet flamefests, err, board discussions ever.

Yes, I am biased, playing almost exclusively hitter classes in all "MMOG's," but I doubt very seriously you'll ever find a truly unbiased person. Ever. Concerning any topic.

One last thing, just to show my support for the original topic, I believe any high circle spell that has little to no use should probably be revamped/altered a little to provide people more variety in their playing.

Igvar/Guz

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”