New rolling method??

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Burpie
Sojourner

New rolling method??

Postby Burpie » Sat Jul 06, 2002 1:34 am

I would like other's feedback on my suggestion to make rolling like Baldur's Gate or Icewind, maybe? Have a base stat bundle, race/profession considered, then add a rolled(random) amount too attributes desired. It's basically same as what we do now, since you can..no, WILL spend hours rolling a good bard, shaman, etc... Warrior types won't notice, but other classes that need more than the left four would probably like this method, I'm thinking. Anybody else feel this way? P.S. I'd still envision the 75 max across or whatever that is, but at least it'd save a BUTTLOAD of time rolling, since I like to mud, not roll Image

------------------
When a mob comes along, you must kill it! Kill it good!
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Jul 06, 2002 6:35 am

tons of heroics mighties or even goods is not required to play. the minimum stats are supposed to be the minimum to have a viable character. you wanna argue that they aren't?

You can save a buttload of time rolling by simply taking the first roll... but thats not your real motivation is it?
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Sat Jul 06, 2002 8:58 am

Hmm, ya gotta be kiddin! Taking min stats is lame as hell, it'd take like half your eq just to make you to what a good roll would have been. Not everybody is uber w/+99 hit/dam hehe. I wish I were or I'd agree with you too *rofl* Bottom line is nice stats, if ya wanna call it that, make it easier by far for low level/newbie and all.

------------------
The watch sez: Time to kill!
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sat Jul 06, 2002 11:27 am

Why do people keep bitching endlessly about rolling?

Rolling these days is a BREEZE when compared to before.

Remember when there were no class minimums? So you could get a warrior with 10 str and 10 con?

Remember when the roller only indicated 'good', and nothing higher? So you had to pray that your 'good' con was actually 95+, and not exactly 75?

For god's sake give it a rest, this crap about rolling being hard and unfair is _really_ stupid. It's never been easier and it's almost impossible to get a bad char now.

------------------
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sat Jul 06, 2002 1:43 pm

rofl i sure do remember, cherz!! my first ever character was a grey elf ranger ... i thought i knew what iw as doin .. so i rolled all goods .. thought ooo this will be nice .. turns out they were all low end goods :P course back then i think they were added up

rolling is hella better now!!! use an auto roller and just hang out Image to me an uber roll is worth the wait!!

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Jul 06, 2002 4:10 pm

agree cherzra rolling is way easier and far more precise than anytime in the past.

as i was indicating the standards raised, you never have to roll for hours on end. Im sure for any class you can get a decent, even good roll in less than 5 minutes manually.
Kyos
Sojourner

Postby Kyos » Sat Jul 06, 2002 6:47 pm

You can play this mud perfectly fine without cheesy rolling.

I've had a shitload of characters to 50 in old soj/toril and none of them had good stats at all. You can still enjoy the game.

You don't need to be a stat hunting toad to enjoy a game. It's not about numbers!
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:13 pm

I remember Mystra kicked me off the roller after only _ONE_ hour. I was manual rolling too.

------------------
Dartan group-says 'Malacar I'm going to dropkick you for starting that omg Ymir thing'
Burpie
Sojourner

Postby Burpie » Sun Jul 07, 2002 5:08 am

It's not stat hunting as much to me as chiseling the character the way I'd like. I see the point that most would see it as make as you like, etc. but it'd be neat to have control heh. I remember the *****..more like relative rolls of the past, that'd suck! I didn't think some would see the post as a focus on rolling more important than playing the mud. I think this mud is _very_ involved and quite facinating, especially how helpful most are. The gods are waaaay better here than some pompous asshole from another mud - this 'god' deleted me for asking why a certain thing..don't even remember what it was, could backstab since it had a name like cleric or whatever. Dumb. This place is cool

------------------
When a mob comes along, you must kill it! Kill it good!
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Sun Jul 07, 2002 11:50 am

I fondly remember Burunga. Human Cleric with a "bad" constitution. Poor bastard turned evil (I was so disappointed). He made level 50 and then some, though... now he's Cyric Image

Some people are more stat-focused than others. It takes all kinds to fill the freeways (and the zones!).

I don't play at all right now, so I have no horse in the race, but I agree with all those who've said the roller is better than ever and good enough. Yay gods!

Vadian

------------------
Vadian/Vade/Vipplin
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Mon Jul 08, 2002 1:42 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
Remember when there were no class minimums? So you could get a warrior with 10 str and 10 con?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't one of the oldskool evil shaman (Glaman, I think?) have something like 29 con and just kept playing?

Rolling good. Playing better. Concentrate on playing. That can definitely make up for mediocre stats.

- Grungar "Civilized until the keg runs dry" Forgefire
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Mon Jul 08, 2002 2:26 am

Agree stats are great, too great even. Everyone has max notch pretty much on all stats needed (primarily needed). I argued on sos2 that making the roller more detailed like it is now would take away the diversity in characters which it has i think, upping the min stats or packaged stats would make this even worse. Besisde, imagine the moaning if everyone discovered the could make their char EVEN better hehe. Stick with what we got, even playin field. I do have a funny story however, when i logged on at Fladd's house to make my first char the first screen that came up was almost all goods, Fladdy nearly had a heart attack, im like 'what?' do i want to keep it?

------------------
gruldo
Sojourner

Postby gruldo » Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:12 am

not just that but even if you have to roll for an hour or two to get what you want, (ive never taken more than 15 minutes to roll one but still) there are chars with like 50 days play time, is it really that horrible to put in an hour or two if you really really want to get good stats off the bat?

------------------
Grul-Diggity!
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Sun Jul 14, 2002 9:20 am

heh.. on toril when i was young and first started mudding, (i played a different non rp mud where anyone could have any name) my sisters boyfriend at the time introduced me to Toril.. i was sitting there with a friend of mine and tried like 10x to get names accepted all of which seemed fine to us.. and finally we entered yourstupid
character name denied, reason: its you'restupid
that cracked us up Image

------------------
Mishri }-Sentinel-{ Shades of Twilight
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sun Jul 14, 2002 2:29 pm

oooo buahahha

that was great Mish !!

hehehehe

and i'm gonna say a big NO to bundled characters! It's just an opinion but I love being to hose my own stats Image

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition

[This message has been edited by Ambar (edited 07-14-2002).]

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”