Necromancers, am I hearing correctly?

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Vharlak
Sojourner

Necromancers, am I hearing correctly?

Postby Vharlak » Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:32 pm

I am new to this game, and my evil necro is who I have decided to play. This post comes about because of replies on the Remort Discussion post, and of a few other recent posts on this board. Some of it may not apply to me, as I don't play a goodie, and from what I hear, each side has a vastly different outlook of the class.

A quote: "lich is unique and gives a reason to play necros, which are, for goodies, much more of a pain in the @$$ than normal mages."

What do you mean about good necros being annoying to play when compared to the other mages? Is it because they must start in bloodstone? Are they weaker to start?

Another post talked about necros being "weak" compared to other classes until lichdom. I suppose my question is why? I look around and necros seem to be one of the least played classes on sojourn, so maybe weak is the proper term. As of now they seem like any other mage, leveling with magic missile, getting the crap beat out of you, things like that. I assume based on that post, that their weakness stems from their ability to later become liches. Seems like an alright trade off I suppose. However, for a player like me who, doesn't have the best gear, nor the friends to get help from, I am stuck hoping I stay interested long enough to Lich, or have wasted my time.

I think what I'm getting at is this. Am I wasting my time playing a necro? Or will it be fun whether I am labeled as "weak", "annoying" or anything in between. The necromancer is what I want to play but if it is not fun, or I am useless, then I may have to try something else.

Feel free to give me your thoughts, tips, ideas, anything that might be of use. I am also quite interested in how people view necros, on both sides good and evil, but do not play them.

Vharlak (Drow) Level- Almost 12.

------------------
Death becomes thee.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Oct 01, 2002 11:27 pm

If you like a class, play that class. This game is about fun. Look at the rangers. They are considered by far the most worthless class in the game, yet a lot of people still play them. Why? Because to them, the skills a ranger has, no matter how trivial, weak, or useless they are, are fun to use.

So my advice is to play what you have the most fun playing.

------------------
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'
Fura
Sojourner

Postby Fura » Tue Oct 01, 2002 11:31 pm

The most worthless class on the mud? Probably the class of people who won't read help files, won't ask anyone, won't give it another shot and dismiss this place as 'too hard.' Image Good thing they don't stay long and have the chance to pick up some other ideas elsewhere and might try it out again later...
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:16 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vharlak:
<B>A quote: "lich is unique and gives a reason to play necros, which are, for goodies, much more of a pain in the @$$ than normal mages."

What do you mean about good necros being annoying to play when compared to the other mages? Is it because they must start in bloodstone? Are they weaker to start?

Vharlak (Drow) Level- Almost 12.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As the one who made that quote, let me answer. Basically, yes, human necros get the shaft compared to drow necros, WHEN COMPARED to other mages of the same race.

Human necros must start in BS, which complicates CR after death. In addition, they are evil and pretty much have to stay evil for their spells to work. This means that global load mobs agro evil (such as paladins) will certainly attempt to smite them. In addition to THAT, towns such as MH will kill them on sight.

Now, compare this with a drow necro. All drow are evil/evilrace, and thus all drow mages suffer fairly equally from persecution from the above factors.

Note that I did not directly compare human vs drow necros Image

------------------
Daz group-says 'rofl, moritheil is the mcdonald's of death'

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”