AFK

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
izarek
Sojourner

AFK

Postby izarek » Sun Apr 01, 2001 7:17 pm

any chance afk will be toggleable like before?

Izzy
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Sun Apr 01, 2001 7:29 pm

yes please

------------------
Mal

PS - As always, opinions contained are my own, and are not intended to offend or upset anyone, but are merely outspoken thoughts from myself. If you have issues with them, bring em up, but keep flaming to emails.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Apr 01, 2001 9:07 pm

Make it so you can tog it on, but as soon as you move it goes off. It's annoying seeing poeple walking around and zoning with the afk flag on... heh. But it's also annoying to be afk and have no one know until you get back because the afk flag didn't go on yet.

Sarvis
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Apr 02, 2001 2:38 am

The AFK flag loses meaning when 60% of the mud walks around with it on 24/7.

Personally I like it better the way it is, or as the toggle that automatically turns off when you move.

- Ragorn
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Mon Apr 02, 2001 2:34 pm

Yes make it so you can trun it on when you leave so people wont be wondering what the heck your doing standing there for 2 mins. Then it should automaticly go off once you start issuing move commands.
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Mon Apr 02, 2001 3:05 pm

I agree its silly to walk around with AFK on all the time. My problem is this: If i wanna go afk for a couple mins to tend to one of my experiments in RL, the AFK indicator doesnt turn on before I return. Then I see ppl are talking to me and wondering where I am then sprawling me to get me up from my mems when I didnt wanna be moved around cuz I was really AFK. Then I find myself missing parts of battles, etc. Yeah, I do type afk to let them know, but that's easily missed. The other problem is with tick dialogues. I use a zmud tick dialogue to keep my connection going when Im afk for more than 10 mins. That would turn off AFK and ppl would think I'm back when im not. See the problem here?

So whats an alternative? Its been suggested already. Make AFK toggleable like before. However, when a character *moves* (not just a scratch or belch emote tick dialogue) have it go off. Then ppl wont be walking around AFK!

Izzy
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Mon Apr 02, 2001 3:19 pm

It didn't seem broke before, so why was it fixed? Guess I need to adjust my tick dialog some. And I can't really to afk if I want to so if you send me a tell and I don't respond, I'm probably afk, but couldn't tog it.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Apr 03, 2001 10:43 pm

Ragorn,

A lot of highlevels togged afk when they didn't want to be bothered with random questions or the like. As such, I think the use of afk was understandable for those scenarios. AFK 24-7 would not be appropriate, but I didn't really see that so much as it was 'we're doing hell don't tell to us asking if we remember stats on an item or directions to GN'. For tell purposes, people were essentially afk.

Either way, I think the overwhelming usefulness of the ability to tog afk overrides concerns that 'oh people will abuse afk'. Is not being officially afk going to make them more likely to respond in the middle of a full-blown battle with succubi?

Bring back tog afk Image
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Tue Apr 03, 2001 11:06 pm

If AFK remains un-toggleable, I would probably just make a trigger something like '* tells you' ---> 'tell #1 Sorry, cant chat atm, AFK or somesuch.' Easy enough Image
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Apr 03, 2001 11:08 pm

If a person doesn't want to receive tells during a zone-run, they should just turn off the tell function. If a person is afk, and I had a question, I'd be more inclined to ask them than the non-afk person, thinking that they were really afk and would read the tells sent to them when they got back to their computer. Guess I was wrong.

Yayaril
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Apr 03, 2001 11:52 pm

Shrug, I got so used to see all my friends with the AFK flag on that when I just gagged the "He is away from keyboard now" line. It just lost meaning when a good percentage of the mud left it on 24/7 for whatever reason.

- Ragorn
Tinnel
Sojourner

Postby Tinnel » Wed Apr 04, 2001 4:23 am

If you're that irritated by someone sending you a tell, try tog tells or ignore? (Does Sojourn have that?) Tog AFK is the most annoying thing I've ever seen. If I was a newbie and knew why some people togged it I'd spam the hell out of them. AFK means Away From Keyboard. Not "I'm too busy to be bothered by you right now."

T
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Wed Apr 04, 2001 10:29 am

How about a (Do Not Disturb) flag or something. I know how it is to be questing or busy and have people start asking you questions... it can get annoying. Then again, maybe if you are grouped, have a toggle groupcom or something, so that no one can communicate with you unless they're in your current group. Just an idea to keep afk the way it was for those with message trigs...
agreiver
Sojourner

Postby agreiver » Wed Apr 04, 2001 11:37 am

Again the reason all the high levels walked around with it on was so we wouldn't have to put up with annoying tells from lower levels asking for CR's, EQ and the like. This just allows you to be 'nice' because you don't have to answer because your obviously AFK. The other option is just to ignore some tells and seem like a jerk. A Do Not Disturb (what would it be, DND?) flag would be fine, but whats the point when AFK works and is known.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Apr 04, 2001 11:47 am

But some people walked around with it all the time. Not just most of the time or some of the time... _always_. I saw one guy sitting in Cp just walking around waiting for a mob to pop with his afk flag on. I asked him someting using say and he helped me out... but if I'd sent him a tell he'd probably have ignored it under the AFK defense. Needless to say that I never thought he was afk again... heh. Course I never bothered him with a tell because I don't really like to send tells to random high level people... but if I had and he'd ignored it I would have thought he was just being rude and ignoring me.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Apr 04, 2001 12:55 pm

I think a lot of people used it to screen fake tells.. if a god echoed a white tell line in your room, and it didn't trigger the "Soandso sent you a tell and you are AFK!" line, it was a fake.

If you don't want to help newbies, don't help newbies. We have a newbie helper channel staffed by volunteers to cover that. Hell, make an alias that replies to someone with "go talk to ragorn". Random spam tells should be reduced dramatically from how it used to be. There's no reason to put your "I don't want to talk to you" flag on 24/7.

- Ragorn
Yarthra
Sojourner

Postby Yarthra » Wed Apr 04, 2001 2:15 pm

I'd like to see afk toggable again as well..
I know that I did walk with my afk togged a few times. but back after trade went in I would trade all day and clean house and take care of kids.. What I did though was to hit the speed walking to go from point a to point b while I was doing that and waiting for the ferry I would clean and such Image
Since open alpha started I've gone afk and come back to see where it came on and then went back off because my food and drink triggers activated.

I know what you mean guys mean about the people who were zoning and togged afk.. it seems to me that you wouldn't want them with you because you would never be certain if they were afk or not.. but that's me Image
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed Apr 04, 2001 10:46 pm

I sometimes would tog afk when I was mudding from a telnet client. Otherwise people think your a nasty person who just doesn't respond to their tells when the the case is that the name eg "gindibipplizos" goes flying past your screen and you cant send them a tell, or you are running some place and dont even see it....

tog "sorry I am using telnet from uni and prolly wont get your message...ack!"

Sarell/Ladak/etc ... aka Patrick
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Apr 04, 2001 11:32 pm

Something that bothers me is the anonymous toggle. I don't care if people want to roleplay and hide their class and race from others. What bothers me is that they don't appear on the who list so it makes finding groups hard sometimes. It just seems anti-social to me.. No offense to those who use the anonymous feature.

Yayaril
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Apr 05, 2001 12:20 am

I liked Exile's solution. Anonymous players showed up on the who list with an anonymous class/level. People go anonymous for the same reason they keep AFK on.. so that they don't have to talk to people who aren't worth their time, like me.

*poke*

- Ragorn
Me
Sojourner

Postby Me » Thu Apr 05, 2001 2:01 am

We could always beg for a "Do not disturb" toggle.

Not quite afk, but also not conducive to "Where am I?", "Can you give me rations? I'm in WD", "My stomach hurts", and "Wow, you are cool!"

Well, maybe not the last one. But you get the picture.
agreiver
Sojourner

Postby agreiver » Thu Apr 05, 2001 7:28 pm

One thing that kind of sucked was they switched it so you couldn't use the 'who anon' command.

BTW I was one of those people who walked around with AFK on 24/7. *shrug*
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Apr 05, 2001 7:58 pm

During Soj1 before it became Toril, if I remember correctly, anon people were in the who list but their level was kept hidden. I am against going back to this. It might be "anti-social" to tog anon, but whats wrong with that?

Corth
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Thu Apr 05, 2001 8:11 pm

Funny I've seen people with Anon togged on in alpha. I have to ask what's the point???
I can understand fully having it an option to use, but geez in alpha.

Were you an ostrich in a prior life or something?
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:51 am

Im all about a DND toggle... you cant tog anon if your in an association. When your trying to solo and getting ppl asking you to heal them every 5 mintues it gets kinda old...

Some people vehamently(sp) disagree with me on this, but i think we need some kind of a 'dont but me' option.

Gerad

------------------
Auril tells you 'Yes, we're plotting the destruction of all that is holy - and unholy, too. Just to be thorough.'

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”