New Player comment you might wanna see.....

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Galkar
Sojourner

New Player comment you might wanna see.....

Postby Galkar » Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:09 pm

Earlier I was asked to help do a CR for a new player, and this was a comment they made to me.

XXXXXX tells you 'man i seem to get into more trouble than its worth trying to explore and i used scan each move also this time'

This young player loves to explore, I've helped him on a number of occasions. This particular time he was outside of Bloodtusk, and was just reading the sign, when the alarms sounded and he was stomped.

Comments?

------------------
Cordan Se'Draka - Paladin of Helm - Mortal Eye of the Vigilant One -
grimella
Sojourner

Postby grimella » Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:36 pm

First off - cool of you to do CR's for new players!

Secondly - as a fairly new player. He is absolutely right. It doesnt pay to do much more than XP at low levels, or spend your time drilling more experienced players for info. I learned right off to make friends - then question them. Where to go, what to do. Log everything, ask for logs, ask for maps. Problem is you cant always find the info - like where is a good xp zone for my level. So if you go and explore you get whacked really quick. Damn those gnolls near BGR!

When I came here I really wanted to explore, do some mapping and learn on my own. Even spend some time RPing and such. But really this mud has a large population of very experienced players. Its all about zoning and who has what gear. I think but dont know for sure, but most of the people I have grouped with have several Alts. I havent met too many real new ppl here. None really wanted to explore at low levels - just level fast and get back to chasing gear and zones.

Death awaits around more corners than you can count on Soj3! I love this mud very much, am a new addict thats for sure. Sure wish it was a bit more newbie friendly.

I quite exploring till I get some dang levels under my belt. Will explore when I can overkill a area by myself but only then.

Thank god for those players that take young players under thier wing and give them good advice! If you look and ask there are some of the very kindest and most honest folks on Soj.

Grim
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:50 pm

In another thread, someone asks about mud pet peeves, but I think I have one that did not occur to me at the time.

For years I have endeavoured to help out the new guys, to answer questions, power level them, show them around, and give them EQ. I hate how ALL equipment worth having is made rare because of single boot zones.

And quests . . . . GRRRRR . . . EQ sinks are evil. Now, instead of people giving blue fire shields away to a grateful newbie, they instead hoard them because random quest Z may want 14 blue fire shields and a pinwheel to give you a letter to take to JoMomma for a new sword.

Seeing the few truly new players we have suffer and struggle just trying to have fun irks me. I recently ran across a guy, a druid - prolly in mis upper twenties, who was giving away all of his eq to new players. While many of us may have our tear-jerk stories about what our early levels were like; things have changed.

There was a time when Sojourn was (and by many people's opinions, still is) the end-all of online gaming. But now, competition runs rampant, and instead of catering to the new player, changes and developments are being made to keep the current playerbase here. To give them new ways to spend their hard-earned quest items on other, harder quest items.

This mid level druid at one time would have had plenty of people he could group with, now - he probably sits around doing solo xp for a crappy return on his time, or occasionally gets drug around by alt#14 for a bit of power leveling while he throws the occasional newbie spell out and just feels outright useless.

Perhaps, and I HATE HATE HATE the thought, it is time we put equipment restrictions in the game.

I don't know - it has been argued endlessly before, and I was usally on the 'nay' instead of 'aye' side, but when I look at the game externally, I see a lot of unrealized potential.

And I know sojourn3 will never wipe - can we get a sojourn4? :P
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:19 am

my comments...

dont explore if you can't word
dont explore
roll a rogue if you cant stop yourself from exploring

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:27 am

If you want to explore roll a character and run him around as a level 1 in newbie equipment. If he dies you'll know better the next time.

------------------
Deltin
Sojourner

Postby Deltin » Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:35 am

the mud is more geared towards groups and group activities, it's just the nature of the game, if you wanna solo do like the other people suggested, cleric, rogue etc.

------------------
So whad are we gonna do tonight Brain? Same thing we do everynight Pinky, TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:59 am

I tried exploring on many occasions. As a wording class and as a sneaking rogue. The rule I came up with is that this MUD is not geared towards explorers, don't even try it in most situations.

At one point I was exploring as a cleric through some tunnels and I came to a city. Surrounding the city were Fire Giant Guards who didn't bother me and little annoying critters that would assault me and run away when I hit them, then track.

It turns out the Fire Giants assisted and killed me before I could get off a /rcl

This is exactly what *should not happen* on a MUD that encourages exploring.

------------------
Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:11 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Elseenas:
<B>
It turns out the Fire Giants assisted and killed me before I could get off a /rcl
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Use a macro, it's much faster to hit F12 than to type "/rcl" Image

------------------
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.
Musi
Sojourner

Postby Musi » Wed Nov 13, 2002 4:10 am

Not to sound like a complainer, but this is the reason I don't explore. I get lost easily, then just word back anyways, or I die and it takes me forever to get back where I was. I prefer to group (good company and feel safer that way).

I have to agree with Daz and whoever else says this mud isn't very newbie friendly. I was trying to lvl someone today that was having problems and was telling me about another mud (yes, there is such a thing!) that is much more newbie friendly, but only about 10 people play there. I can see how S3 is trying to keep everyone entertained, but you know the old saying, "You can please some of the people all the time, and all of the people some of the time..."

I'll never give up on Sojourn. I know the gods try their best to provide a fun and challenging environment for all of us, and I appreciate that. Ok, I'm rambling cause I'm exhausted, so I'll end this Image

------------------
Musi "Desperate to get ress" {-Randgriur-} Waelcyrge Sororitas
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Wed Nov 13, 2002 4:14 am

A. How many new people who come to this mud know about things such as macro's and triggers. And not all new players have played a mud before :P

B. If a new player wants to go wander somewhere and explore so that he, on his own, might learn something new without having to pester people, he should be able to.

C. A new player to wants to learn shouldn't have to roll a "specific" class just for exploring. Playing ease and learning maybe, but simply to explore?
"I wanted to play a warrior, but I was told that to explore I needed to play a cleric, this sucks" comes to mind real quick.

This mud is greatly geared towards the higher levels and their knowing the ins and outs of things. I see so much concentration on new zones to keep the old players happy, but not nearly the same as beefing up smaller stuff to keep the young players happy.

How about this. Someone who's good at drawing, start in each hometown, and draw a simple map, that shows a decent amount of area around each hometown, nothing to descriptive mind you, but shows a few of the spots that should be avoided, some areas that they can go, so that when they have the choice of going to either gnolls or minthka village, they choose minthka instead of gnolls because there's a little skull there on the map. And post these on the website, and all new players can be directed to things of this nature.

I don't know, I'd honestly do it myself, if I could draw and were good at that sort of thing. I think something like this would be awesome for the new, shy, unexperienced player who's excited because he says "wow, check this out, wonder where this leads" and begins his own journey through what is Sojourn.

------------------
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Wed Nov 13, 2002 4:18 am

Sarvis: I have F5 bound to abort ; /rcl :-p

Doesn't help when I all I see is OUCH YIKES Welcome to Sojourn.

------------------
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Nov 13, 2002 8:30 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Elseenas:
<B>The rule I came up with is that this MUD is not geared towards explorers, don't even try it in most situations.

This is exactly what *should not happen* on a MUD that encourages exploring.

I have almost every zone on the mud mapped. Gate prime, give me the room name, and can find its exact location with 90% probability in a minute.

Now mind you I play a warrior, not a wording cleric, so anyone can do it. Yes, there are aggros in zones and yes there are places you shouldn't go, but these are darn easy to notice if you have any experience playing here. Always make sure you know how to get out fast if you need to. Even as a low level player, you can map. I've mapped dozens of zones with a < lvl 10 character. Just make sure you leave your equipment on storage.

If you want to explore, you can. Excuses are just that, excuses.

edit: stupid bbs code won't accept < lvl without a space

[This message has been edited by cherzra (edited 11-13-2002).]
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Nov 13, 2002 9:06 am

so cherzra, how long have you played to get that info?

the new players will not have that kind of knowledge, and in all probability, asking for help kind of ruins it. its like a guy asking for directions IRL, you don't do it.

i believe i have said it before, but the xp scale needs some reworking to an extent. lower level mobs should have less hp, be easier to hit with low stats, and should give a FRACTION more experience.

i don't know a bout you, but when i make an alt, i pretty much annihilate the first 20 levels in a few hours anyway - all you need to know is the fun places to do xp with mobs that can't hit a good ac.

what harm would it do for a new player to level faster? we all know the game doesn't care about you *much* until you are 40+ level anyway.

it is the new players who don't realize it, and unless they devote the time to get lvl 40+ many of them leave without EVER knowing the joy that comes with zoning. zoning, STILL the most enjoyable aspect of the game. not rp, not quests, not anything else. zoning. the only thing better is zoning with your friends.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed Nov 13, 2002 9:15 am

exploring and dying at low level is bad, but no where near as bad as when you have to tell them their char will never be as good cos they have lost all those max char HP form low level loss... make that go away!

nogs, dont take your most prized possesion exploring.. of course i havnt learnt that myself yet, but sounds like good advice Image

------------------
Shaundakul

Postby Shaundakul » Wed Nov 13, 2002 9:41 am

Fear not, I'm writing a little something for newbies. And no, it does not involve level 59 beholders Image
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:07 am

Exploring is scary. Warriors can't explore, they just aren't equipped for it. Rangers and Shamans are both excellent for it. Some healing, some utility spells, vigorize critic, ability to create boats, etc. Shamans have the added bonus of having pets to scout if you're unsure whether a mob is aggro or not, plus they have word. Rangers get some defense and more hit points, and outdoor sneak.

My best advice to kids looking to explore: Do it. If you die, you die. Go back. If you can't get your corpse, stand at the fountain and shout "I died exploring a new zone, can anyone help me?" and within 60 seconds you'll have a CR group. Go out the east gates of WD and don't stop until you're out of moves. Ask mobs "hello". Look at everything and every mob you see. Type "list" everywhere, see who sells what. Trade for some +move gear, it saves lots of time. Make a map. Don't forget to fill your barrel before you leave. Mem vigs. If you see something cool, make a note of it and come back later with a group. Enjoy.

------------------
- Ragorn
Rondandal tells you 'I take it your goal is to clash?'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:31 pm

Alright, let me get out my flak jacket...

I don't know what's wrong with you people, but I've explored as both an enchanter and as a rogue... and a lot of my exploring as a rogue was before my hide/sneak was maxed. Some days would be frustrating because I'd die in really bad places, some days I'd find out a lot before deciding that I'd had enough for the day. I've left corpses all over the mud, including in several evil hometowns, and managed to get them all back.

That's a dangerous world out there. Is the entire world supposed to be child-proofed? Some of us pretend to be heroes because we want to dream about being heroes, not dream about every zone having a "You Must be this Tall" sign at the entrance.
Sartorix
Sojourner

Postby Sartorix » Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:51 pm

Hands down, squids are the best explorers.

------------------
Disco
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:58 pm

<B>This is exactly what *should not happen* on a MUD that encourages exploring.

Soj encourages exploring by allowing gains to be made that are generally worth the risk involved. Of course, that is not always the case, far from it. But the element of danger must be there to put a damper on things; otherwise people would explore rampantly and everything would be known/discovered faster than new things could be put in.

That's my understanding of the situation.

------------------
You tell Ushug 'err... spankmistress??'
Ushug tells you 'you can't help it, I've always thought of mori as a chick'
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:59 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shaundakul:
Fear not, I'm writing a little something for newbies. And no, it does not involve level 59 beholders Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

omg, fear the level 1 beholder!

------------------
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Nov 13, 2002 8:38 pm

Yeah. I don't think I ever really minded dying while exploring. It makes it seem more interesting and real if you have to be careful. I mean, in other muds where I could explore safely I would know almost everything about a zone the instant I found it...

My only real problem with exploring here is that I almost never find anything. I don't know if stuff is just already done by the time I reach some place, or if I just suck at exploring... but oh well.

------------------
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Wed Nov 13, 2002 10:26 pm

Cherzra:

For me, that isn't a problem. I went back, pulled my eq off my corpse, and worded.

For a newbie, they don't have that option.

Mori:

Awhile back a shaman, a chanter, and myself went exploring. We found a great deal, had a hell of a time, and got totally and repeatedly spanked.

We are talking about for newbies.

------------------
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:41 am

7 year professional weight lifter walks up to the 2 month starter hands him 2 60 pound dumb bells and say ok lets start out with some light stuff.

is the mud truly newbie unfriendly or is it more that some of you think that someone who has been playing for two months with an autobasher should have a similar skill and knowledge level to someone who has played a dozen chars to 50 over 7 years?

some aspects could be made more friendly. the rest must be earned countless hours of practice.

------------------
------
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:10 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
This mid level druid at one time would have had plenty of people he could group with, now - he probably sits around doing solo xp for a crappy return on his time, or occasionally gets drug around by alt#14 for a bit of power leveling while he throws the occasional newbie spell out and just feels outright useless.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are people to group with but you have to take the initiative. New players should be told to try to form their own groups. For example, at level 20 they should type "who (evil/good) 10-30", and then tell to those people to try to form a group. This is what I did up until around level 40, when people started telling to me with grouping requests. Before 40 almost nobody would tell to me, but I was able to form my own groups.

- Mike
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:18 am

Don't forget the use of pets and magically lit items can be very helpful when exploring, as well as all the other advice in this thread, and in Cherzra's newbie help doc.

Sure, some places could do with some tweaking with regard to this subject, but many room descriptions will hint at danger ahead anyway.

------------------
Mogr -=BloodSeeker=-
"If it bleeds, we can killit."

Ythera group-says 'Fotex, what's my ghost doing- giving him a blowjob?'
Tanji group-says 'if so I want the next turn'
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:22 am

Ive been here since like 94 or 95. I cannot even fathom the number of times I have died exploring. Its something that happens. I completely encourage exploring. I died to the crimson death, I died to the displacer beast. I died to the lizardmen. I died to the agros near bloodstone. I died to the gnolls, I died to the vines. I died to the GN clanhall guys, just a few months ago. I died to... well you get the point.

Death happens in sojourn. It happens alot.

Ask someone to CR you and dont go back that same way again- but keep exploring. Nothing makes me crazier then a level 40+ player who doesnt know where mithrill hall is.

EXPLORE EXPLORE EXPLORE!!!

-Gerad

------------------
Auril tells you 'Yes, we're plotting the destruction of all that is holy - and unholy, too. Just to be thorough.'
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:56 pm

<B>Mori:

Awhile back a shaman, a chanter, and myself went exploring. We found a great deal, had a hell of a time, and got totally and repeatedly spanked.

We are talking about for newbies.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing. But I'm pointing out that people are STILL figuring things out faster than new things are being put in (as I understand it).

------------------
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Thu Nov 14, 2002 4:15 pm

Gerard:

Gotcha beat.

I found a level 35 drow last boot that didn't know where to buy food in DK.

------------------
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Thu Nov 14, 2002 4:24 pm

Mithril what?

------------------
Snurgt take no prisoner.
Abbayarra
Sojourner

Postby Abbayarra » Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:46 pm

Hello all,
Everyone has certain things about the mud they like, and certain things they dislike.
For example, I really like grouping, talking, and killing a few things. I hate doing solo XP, that is soooo boring.
I know another player who has played 2 characters up to 40+ then stopped playing these characters because they hate zoning and hate saying no to people even more.
To each their own.
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:25 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Snurgt:
<B>Mithril what?

I tell ya, Gerad keeps talkin about that place, I have no clue where it is either. But I think it has something to do with naked dancing pixies. *shrug*

------------------
Musi
Sojourner

Postby Musi » Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:40 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Galkar:
<B> I tell ya, Gerad keeps talkin about that place, I have no clue where it is either. But I think it has something to do with naked dancing pixies. *shrug*

HAHAHAHA!!! Little chubby naked drunken dancing pixies Image

------------------
Musi "Desperate to get ress" {-Randgriur-} Waelcyrge Sororitas
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:00 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yarash:
<B>
There are people to group with but you have to take the initiative. New players should be told to try to form their own groups. For example, at level 20 they should type "who (evil/good) 10-30", and then tell to those people to try to form a group. This is what I did up until around level 40, when people started telling to me with grouping requests. Before 40 almost nobody would tell to me, but I was able to form my own groups.

- Mike

wanna group?
sorry, grouped
need a druid?
group full
hey, wanna group?
sorry, im afk
i got some healing spells, need me?
no thanks, im about to log off, in the next 4 hours anyway
wanna come with me to do xp?
whats your hit/dam? sorry, no thx
wanna druid?
need a real cleric Image sorry
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:32 pm

so far all the experienced players have said exploring is not that bad.

all the truly new players are afraid to explore for fear of losing everything they've accumulated to this point, which even level 50's do far too regularly.

dont you players WANT new folks in the game? the pbase is dying off more and more each month and new players rarely stay a level or two because they die in some odd place for the upteenth time and give up. or they try to find someone to talk to in griffon's nest or mithril hall or bloodstone or faang!

this is the most unfriendly to new players game i've ever played, and i was in the video game industry for over 10 years as a reviewer for several online and printed magazines.

a few suggestions.

1) all good player classes start in waterdeep after they leave the newbie area until level 10. so when they die they end up in the guildhall of their class in wd, regardless of their class. for evils it's DK. this way they can actually MEET the people that play this game.

2) set it so players < 10 when they die respawn with all of their equipment at their spawn location. this will encourage them to explore and learn the game without the phear of losing their corpse in the 'weird castle thing north of here.....'

and YES...one of you high levels will find a way to abuse the above. you always find a way to abuse the above. some of you have nothing better to do than think of new ways to screw the mud over and force the administration to enforce new restrictions - but that's a trait of this community.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:42 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
<B> wanna group?
sorry, grouped
need a druid?
group full
hey, wanna group?
sorry, im afk
i got some healing spells, need me?
no thanks, im about to log off, in the next 4 hours anyway
wanna come with me to do xp?
whats your hit/dam? sorry, no thx
wanna druid?
need a real cleric Image sorry

Druids aren't exactly an integrated part of society Image

And we have it a lot easier than we used to.

------------------
Nedle2
Sojourner

Postby Nedle2 » Fri Nov 15, 2002 7:13 pm

halfling advice to newbie explorers:

1) get naked (everything is better naked -allways) (leave your good eq at home)

2) get a light source, a boat(or some water crossing gear) a water skin and some food (preferrably something with sugar)

3) if your a wizard type leave your real books at home - make a traveling book with spells your gonna need: invis, minor c, levi, dim, telport, farsee, etc.

4) explore...if you see corpses, skeletons, skulls, mangled anything on the floor get ready to move...

5) if you see a halfling running in your direction and passed you, dont talk....run...

6) funnest places to explore: caves, swamps, tunnels, cities, forests...

nedle the halfling chanter

[This message has been edited by Nedle2 (edited 11-15-2002).]
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Nov 16, 2002 1:07 am

oh here is some more good advice...

read room descriptions...

broken bones littering the ground = probably agro gonna smite you.

a powerful blahblahblah charges at you holding a giant wang = probably agro gonna smite you.

------------------
------
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Nov 16, 2002 1:26 am

I have had brief togged for the last 2-3 years. I have yet to die to this, although i did get stuck in the tar pits ONCE.
Alomlim
Sojourner

Postby Alomlim » Sat Nov 16, 2002 2:29 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Teyaha:
<B>a few suggestions.

1) all good player classes start in waterdeep after they leave the newbie area until level 10. so when they die they end up in the guildhall of their class in wd, regardless of their class. for evils it's DK. this way they can actually MEET the people that play this game.

2) set it so players < 10 when they die respawn with all of their equipment at their spawn location. this will encourage them to explore and learn the game without the phear of losing their corpse in the 'weird castle thing north of here.....'

I second this motion! And, I agree with
Teyaha... this place is powerfully unfriendly to today's gamer population. I'm new here as of 1 year ago, and it's very very rare for me to meet anyone newer. If I hadn't been roped in by an old timer, I never would have converted.

------------------
-Alomlim
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:53 pm

This is an interesting thread, and brings back a lot of memories from my early days on Sojourn.

There was a comment in an above post about how the "mud doesn't care about you till level 40" .

The mud isn't the same for everyone, even the most hardcore-top-aspiring newbie will go through a period of learning where he will get lost and die and possibly lose all his stuff (doubtful with all the nice high level players but still) ((note, if a newbie dies and loses his eq, but has to log off in 15 minutes, then yes he's in danger of losing it permanently, but if they can actually play chances are someone of high level will help them)).

Think back to when you first played, I had a lot of fun killing stuff in the valley of crushk, and running to goblin caves, and dying to gnolls! All of that is part of this game and shouldn't be downplayed. It was a hell of a lot of fun, even if I didn't have a gythka when I was doing it. I didn't need one.

Everything is perspective guys, keep that in mind. You get the fun out of the mud from what you put into it. You may need to be level 40 to go TF, but that doesn't mean you can't have fun while lower levels in other zones.

If you find yourself not enjoying the mud, you need to change your expectations and your outlook.

don't blame the mud being "too hard for newbies", its not the mud, its what the player considers unfair. We all think a lot is unfair because we know so many places you can die, but that's part of what makes us who we are as veterans.

In response to Player's being turned away because they are afraid of losing their stuff....welcome to the club. It may be harsh but personally I would rather have the gods working on completing unfinished things already begun than making a huge implementation for a "newbie dangerous zone warning system" or whatever.

Although, teyaha's idea for corpse less than level 10 respawning with eq in the guild is a very generous offer, I like it. It definately would give the "true" newbie time to learn about the mud and all those little dangerous spots you die in.

Ok sort of rambling, interesting thread.

Wobb

------------------
Wobb
"If you ever need a quick pick-me-up, just stick my balls in your mouth." --Chef, South Park
Unag
Sojourner

Postby Unag » Sat Nov 30, 2002 10:32 pm

Hiya. *raises his hand and waves*

Just for reference sake I am a newbie here. I started just a week ago now, playing an ogre warrior. Thus far I've managed to make about 14 levels (hopefully 15 tonight) without dying. I tried a couple of other characters in the Waterdeep area and found that I just didn't care for it much. Thus far, I've found ogres to my liking. However, as I progress I am finding some difficulty as has been stated above, with finding places to go without getting myself killed. I know the newbie guide has suggested not dying before 26, so I'm working on doing just that. So far, I've found that my difficulties consist of three simple things.

1.) Area knowledge - Learning the zones is definitely trial and error, which results in me running an awful lot. Not that I don't understand the necessity and the fun of a good challenge. But the areas definitely are not geared towards exploration and frankly - having to avoid an area entirely because there's no way in heck you can look around just isn't fun. At level 14, I'm also unable to use the newbie help channel anymore meaning in order to find out information about an area I have to pester some poor chap who could also be busy fleeing for his life. Personally speaking, I really HATE bothering people. If folks don't want to answer my questions I certainly don't want to force them to, or bother them in any kind of way. I liked the newbie help channel. The folks on there were fairly patient and it was a good reference for me in cases where I couldn't puzzle something out myself. Why the help channel gets squelched after a certain point I honestly don't understand. Why not make it toggleable instead?

2.) Equipment - As a warrior, the range of skills I get as I increase in level is definitely more limited vs. the spell arsenal spell casters get at higher levels. This means I have to make up for it by acquiring better equipment and/or proficiency in the skills I have. Equipment is one area I'm really suffering with. Obviously what you find in shops is going to be somewhat limited, but I have no idea where or how I can find appropriate equipment upgrades otherwise.

3.) Groups - From what I've read and seen groups definitely seem to be a key factor in survival. The problem being, most people are above level 30 it seems. The few folks who might be in my level range are way the heck over in waterdeep or somewhere else in the world and I have no idea how the heck to reach them? So ultimately, I do seem kinda screwed for groups.

Please do not think this is a flame or a criticism at all. I understand and have accepted the conditions listed above as fact and am simply adjusting myself to those conditions to cope. At the same time though, these are the conditions I'm finding. I have the patience and the determination to deal with them - but I'm sure there are alot of newbies who don't.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Nov 30, 2002 11:24 pm

Hey Unag,

Good to see a new Ogre.

You'll find that 'zones' must be done for the majority of worthwhile eq. The catch is that zoning is not easy. Equipment which is considered average today would have been considered quite nice or spectacular one year ago, and equipment which level 40s wore may now be found on level 15s.

The upshot of this is, you're going to have to buy or trade for your equipment, if you want to be competitive with it. This is because the equipment comes from zones that generally take level 40+s to do, but are handed down to lower levels.

This is in no way true of all equipment, but just a general trend.

I'm hoping that something addressing 'zoning' will be added to the newbie guide soon.

Best of luck.

------------------
Kiaransalee responds to your petition with 'look on the bright side, I just saved you some corpses. We all know you would have gotten spanked'
Unag
Sojourner

Postby Unag » Sat Nov 30, 2002 11:46 pm

Thanks for the information - much appreciated. Image

What is the preferred currency for this kind of equipment? More importantly, how much does it usually cost?

My whole bank account at this point consists of maybe 25 platinum. Will this be sufficient to get some more reasonable equipment? Or will I require alot more? Hmm...I just took a look at the forum section on equipment trades. I honestly have no idea what would be good gear for me to acquire. What is generally good to look for in my range?

[This message has been edited by Unag (edited 11-30-2002).]
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sun Dec 01, 2002 10:25 am

Plat coins or trades of similar value. Anything listed here on the Marketplace section is surely beyond your reach, it's high end stuff.

There is a lot of low end stuff for sale in Waterdeep, but since you're an ogre that's not an option. Try having a look in the general store in drow hometown, there is usually a lot for sale there (wait until the mud has been up 40 hrs or so). Also, hang around the fountain in DK. People may give you stuff.
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Sun Dec 01, 2002 12:08 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Unag:
<B> Why the help channel gets squelched after a certain point I honestly don't understand.

Do "who evil helper sort" and feel ABSOLUTELY free to direct any enquiries at all you might have to them. I enjoy answering questions, and I know all the other evil helpers do too.

(EDIT: Penny arcade ruined my spelling)
------------------
"I know you like to believe fairy tales about how rude and unfair evils are, but keep them on your side of Baldur's Gate."

[This message has been edited by Xisiqomelir (edited 12-01-2002).]
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sun Dec 01, 2002 4:31 pm

always always always feel free to look me up

Telina
Ambar
Karikhan
Narra

I LOVE to help new people Image

WOOT Go Ogre!!!!!!!

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
Bagalutas
Sojourner

Postby Bagalutas » Sun Dec 01, 2002 4:33 pm

On my way from WD to Scornubel...

A filthy spriggan half kills you with his mighty hit!

You are mortally wounded, and will die soon, if not aided.

You are in pretty bad shape, unable to do anything! do anything!

You lose a level!
You feel less transparent.

I gotta agree. Exploring seems to be pretty impossible, with every damn bum seeing trough invisible and hidden aswell. Not to mention that they can so easily kill a level 33 duergar =)
Unag
Sojourner

Postby Unag » Sun Dec 01, 2002 7:26 pm

Thank you. I'll probably do that now that I know who to ask. After I met Bagalutas last night I got the old exploring urge and attempted to make my way to DK briefly before I logged. Right now I'm in Calimport - which I'm "hoping" is somewhere near DK.

I'll tell you one thing - in terms of hospitality to visitors on a scale of 1 to 10, Calimport is somewhere around -3. Gotta love those little street urchins....of course, replace "love" with the word "bludgeon", and the word "little" with "sneaking underhanded ambushing snotdribblers".
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sun Dec 01, 2002 8:09 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Unag:
....of course, replace "love" with the word "bludgeon", and the word "little" with "sneaking underhanded ambushing snotdribblers".</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG!!! ROFLOLOLOLOL!!

Welcome to the BBS Unag.
Unag
Sojourner

Postby Unag » Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:54 am

After tonight I would like to note that although the MUD may have a difficult setting and mechanics - the players are definitely VERY helpful. I was incredibly impressed by the number of folks who seemed to go out of their way to help a total stranger like myself. If the hardships of the mud encourage such friendly and admirable behaviour as I've seen tonight. Then perhaps its not such a bad thing. Image

Thanks to all who took the time to help. It was definitely not unappreciated.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”