Quests - Speaking with zone writers

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Lurgo
Sojourner

Quests - Speaking with zone writers

Postby Lurgo » Thu Dec 05, 2002 6:21 am

Many times I've been a told a quest mob is working correctly but it's actually coded to accept the wrong items. Other times, necesary items aren't loading. Gods other than the zone writers don't have the time to work through the quest files so they tell you "it's working fine."

I think it would be helpful if we had access to zone writers for quest questions and feedback. Maybe a list of e-mails or mudmails would do. Or a separate forum that players could post to and only area writers could read. The post titles could identify what zone is being referred to. Anything to faciliate some communication with the writers themselves.

Good idea or bad?
gokk
Sojourner

Postby gokk » Thu Dec 05, 2002 6:56 am

I will give you one pair of pants.
That is all.
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:28 am

Does anything prevent mudmailing a zone writer listed in credits now?

------------------
Gindipple (Gnome) stands here.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:35 am

nope. i've done it myself. works fine for me Image sometimes the area writers aren't around at all though so u gotta mwrite cyric. and that suxors

------------------
Nokie group-says 'what a rip-off, I spend months incapacitating navy seamen and doing 28,000 bandages and now we get tons of practice here in bronze citadel'
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:29 am

A bunch of area makers also have their e-mail addresses listed on the Staff page...(under Info->Staff Listing from the homepage).

And, just for the record, if someone says 'It's working fine", that generally means that the quest is functioning as far as we can determine. Of course, that's no guarantee that it is functioning *as intended*, and you are correct that only the zone maker can answer that. Image

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Thu Dec 05, 2002 2:27 pm

If you have any fixes for any zone under Drevarr/Vanfaeria email: ilshad@bellsouth.net

Thanks!

------------------
Ilshad

"Your accomplishment is nothing compared to the glory that is Ilshadrial!!" Yayaril

[This message has been edited by Ilshadrial (edited 12-09-2002).]
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:57 pm

I can't help but wonder if this is the way to go. This way, it sounds like making a zone is a never-ending affair in terms of administration and answering email.

What if someone makes a zone with a superrare that loads 1/1000 or 1/10,000? They'd continually be bombarded with email complaints that the mob wasn't loading.

------------------
Kiaransalee responds to your petition with 'look on the bright side, I just saved you some corpses. We all know you would have gotten spanked'
Dezzex
Sojourner

Postby Dezzex » Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:25 pm

Maybe that'll make 'em think twice before putting in a super rare.

Down with super rares!
Savras
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Savras » Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:40 pm

I can be reached by mmail.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:12 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dezzex:
<B>Maybe that'll make 'em think twice before putting in a super rare.

Down with super rares!
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um. You do realize if super rares are made to load significantly more often, the corresponding uber items will get nerfed, according to the "No pain, no gain" philosophy.

------------------
Kiaransalee responds to your petition with 'look on the bright side, I just saved you some corpses. We all know you would have gotten spanked'

[This message has been edited by moritheil (edited 12-06-2002).]
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:32 pm

At the same time, if something is made really super rare like that then nobody will see it, or won't even bother because of the extreme annoyance factor with chacking every boot.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:19 pm

also adding items to a quest that only you know of (poke ilshad) does the same effect

------------------
Nokie group-says 'what a rip-off, I spend months incapacitating navy seamen and doing 28,000 bandages and now we get tons of practice here in bronze citadel'
Dugmaren
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Dugmaren » Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:55 pm

email title : ZoneName, PlayerName, Problem Explanation

If its a general bug fix, or something wacky, any reports would be appreciated.

If its equipment, fights, or tactics that you deem require changing I won't take it seriously unless there's a well written explanation with examples stating your reasons.

toukage@hotmail.com

Dug

[This message has been edited by Dugmaren (edited 12-06-2002).]

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”