Storage: Feedback Requested

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Storage: Feedback Requested

Postby Shevarash » Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:01 am

Now that you've all had some time to get familiar with (and start trusting, hopefully) the storage cache system, I am interested in your feedback:

1) Is the storage space allotted enough for you?

2) Do you find yourself still using storage characters? If so, why?

3) Is it intuitive and easy to use?

4) Are there any extra features that could streamline it?

Let me know what you think. Image

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:11 pm

1) Is the storage space allotted enough for you? No.

2) Do you find yourself still using storage characters? If so, why? Yes. I can't fit all my junk in the storage locker, so I have to use the storage char anyway. So instead of keeping my stuff in 2 different places, I just keep it in the one place I can store it all (my storage char).

3) Is it intuitive and easy to use? Yes.

4) Are there any extra features that could streamline it? Add an XMLRPC interface to it so we can write a client to access it while not logged into the mud! *nod me*

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers
Lenefir
Sojourner

Postby Lenefir » Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:20 pm

1. No, not really. I have way too much "junk" (mostly low level, mid level stuff I think) around that I've never really taken time to identify and sort.

2. Yes, because of the above reason. I can overload my storage char a lot, only limited by the number of bags it can hold. Once the storage is full, you need a weightless bag or something.

3. Yes, I think so.

4. Not that I can think of.

Otherwise, I love the ability to get my spare spellbooks from storage rather than bring in a storage char upon death. Makes it much quicker to do a deathmem before going back into action Image So because if the limited space, this is what I mainly use it for: Quest items, spare spellbooks and other stuff I find useful to have easy access to.

------------------
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you have done anything at all"
--Futurama
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:22 pm

I don't put storage on it because of the space restrictions. I have found it extremely useful though for my spare spellbooks. It allows me to get spells into the mem queue before I'm res'd so I can mem while in affect. When getting books involved transfering stuff between characters twice, I just didn't bother for that purpose.

As for the space restrictions, why are there any? Theres no space restriction on a storage character and people will just continue using those until the limitation is taken away. Maybe I'm overlooking something but I dont see how the storage locker would be abuseable if the space limitation were removed.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:04 pm

I use it all the time.

There needs to be a way to organize it though.

Perhaps the ability to create 3 or 5 categories of stuff of a custom name.

It's really not enough, and I don't want to put a bag in there.

Very intuitive and easy to use.

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Tanji ASSOC:: 'god was blueballed the night before he made Thanuk'
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:18 pm

Is the storage space allotted enough for you?
1) Yes. I have no problems with the limit, though I've found that I must use weightless bags to hold everything. Of course I would prefer to have the capacity increase, as more space is better than less space.

Do you find yourself still using storage characters? If so, why?
2) Yes. I still have my storage character alt, and use his storage cache. This adds more storage capacity and helps me sort my stuff.

Is it intuitive and easy to use?
3) Yes. However, as I think you mentioned in a previous post, the "storage list (bag name)" option is still undocumented; it doesn't show up with the "storage help" command.

Are there any extra features that could streamline it?
4) Perhaps. I have a LOT of junk. On several occasions I've seen a message that I have too much stuff and can't save. Now the rent file seems to be different from the cache file. One of my biggest fears is that I'll have too much stuff in the cache, won't see a message, and lose it all. Is there any sort of message that warns people if there is too much in the cache?

Additional improvements might include new ways of storing and retrieving items. For example, a way to "get all cache" or "get all.(item) cache".

Perhaps the ability to store cursed items should be considered.

Listing contents by keyword would be cool too. For example "storage show list ring" would show all items with "ring" as a keyword.

And probably my most bold idea: While using the cache I've found that if I just start tossing a bunch of stuff in it, it can fill up fast. Then I'm stuck with the dilemma of what to remove. I think to myself, "ok, what's a space hog in here?" If we could see the weight of each item in the list somehow (without identifying each item manually)...all at once, I would become your mud slave for a month.

BTW, I *really* enjoy the cache feature. This is by far the BEST thing I've seen go in the game. Thank you for putting it in.

- Mike
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:25 pm

1) Sortof. Would be better if I didn't have to use some weightless bags to get stuff to fit.

2) Not really, I ended up playing my storage char as an alt.

3) Yup Image

4) Ability to store cursed items would rock.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:10 pm

I'd like a way to beable to delete my storage at a particular inn and move it i.e. WD won't always be my hometown soon and i'd like to be able to move it over to bs. Otherwise, it works for the purpose it's there for, I use it the only thing I keep on storage chars are cursed weapons still, which would be quite nice to store as well.

------------------
-Arilin Nydelahar
...Knowledge is power, and knowledge of life and death brings power over all beings, living and unliving.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:44 pm

The storage space is a GREAT concept... for your typical player. Packrats are something else entirely. I even have more than one storage character, because one isn't enough. In cases like mine it's not like you can please everybody, but options I'd LOVE to see...

1. More storage space.

2. Lists of what's in your bags without having to list them out individual bags, perhaps a toggle of some kind, so that it lists in an outlined order.
-Bag of holding
**Item1
**Item2
**Item3
-Bag of holdingmore
**Item1
**Item2

3. The ability to alphebetize items within the general cache. Alphebetizing things within the bags within the cache would be nice, too, but that's reaching.

4. The ability to "search." "Storage list 'ring'" would show any item with given keyword:
Storage list 'ring'
-Bag of holding
**ring of eldritch fireflies
**tiny silver ring
**toe ring of doom
-Bag of holdingmore
**ring of living wood (censored)(glowing)
**tiny ruby ring

5. The ability to retrieve multiples of the same items from storage. "Storage retrieve all.ring"

6. The ability to retrieve objects from bags while the bag stays in your storage. I try to keep my number of items down, but sometimes I'm afraid to pull a bag out of my storage cache because it'll likely throw my pfile over into the unsaveable range. If there were more storage space and the ability to sort somehow, however, that wouldn't be an issue at all because we wouldn't have to use bags in storage.

I'm sure I can probably think of more later, but there's a start. I'd be MORE than willing to pay a fee for an expanded storage, and I really think larger storages should be a charged item. It's kind of like the difference between asking the innkeeper to store some valuables in a safe and renting a storage vault, the smaller one should be offered free of charge by any decent inn, the larger one should be paid for.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Wed Dec 11, 2002 4:13 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shevarash:
<B>Now that you've all had some time to get familiar with (and start trusting, hopefully) the storage cache system, I am interested in your feedback:

Let me know what you think. Image

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. Yes for me, but i dont keep much stuff around.
2. Yes, because i delude myself into believing i might actually have an alt one day.
3. Yes, you retard proofed it pretty well, but i put my coffee in the cup holder and now i cant open it.
4. Guild storage. Can we roll a char thats like our guild name and have that be a shared storage space for the entire guild? Would be very useful for auctions, quests, stuff like that. Also would need more space for a guild one.

I also think u should be able to see whats in your storage without going to the inn. I always forget what i put in there and when im talking to ppl i have to run to in and look at the list, but again im half brain-dead so this might not be a problem for anyone else.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Wed Dec 11, 2002 4:22 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thanuk:
<B>I always forget what i put in there and when im talking to ppl i have to run to in and look at the list, but again im half brain-dead so this might not be a problem for anyone else.

Only half?

------------------
-Arilin Nydelahar
...Knowledge is power, and knowledge of life and death brings power over all beings, living and unliving.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Wed Dec 11, 2002 4:57 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Arilin Nydelahar:
<B> Only half?

Started with 2 brain cells, now im down to 1 and it has altzimers.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Wed Dec 11, 2002 5:34 pm

1) no

2)somtimes but not as much

3) yes it is though it can be anoying typing storage before every thing....but i will get over it

4) i would like to see it be able to be accessed by any home town...for esier item switching
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:51 pm

can someone make a help file for this?

------------------
Nokie group-says 'what a rip-off, I spend months incapacitating navy seamen and doing 28,000 bandages and now we get tons of practice here in bronze citadel'
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:28 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dalar:
<B>can someone make a help file for this?

Storage ? is the help file, unless you are looking for a deliniated, 70 page file detailing what each word means or something Image

Twinshadow

------------------
Kribble tells you 'everytime I've seen you die it was doing something cool or trying to save someone's ass... die away!'
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:38 am

I don't use, however I don't really have a storage char either, for my quest items I generally carry them in the depths of Sarell's bag. As a character with items I can transport them all over the world, If I am in the dead orc inn, so be it, but in 5 mins I can be anywhere. Just didnt seem to me a point to have my stuff stuck in the inn, cept for safety factor of quest bits, but I cant see me losing all my gear anytime soon.

Perhaps if we had a system like the goblins on harry potter! Lots of fast secret tunnels connecting major cities. So if you ask the goblin in WD for something that you has the &7 flag or such meaning you rented it in calimport, then the goblin says oky, that will be here in 3min by goblin express! Then I would use storage accounts. Maybe make them charge 20p for courier services! Oh and have goblins in jot/musp town just for giggles!

------------------
Bipple
Sojourner

Postby Bipple » Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:03 am

1) Nope, hate putting a perfectly good wgtless bag on storage.

2) Yup, Load him up with boxs and buckskin packs, have no need to move him out of the inn.

3) Yes

4) Linking storage space in all inns would be very cool, being able to move stuff easier between alts isn't going to unbalance the mud.
Eza
Sojourner

Postby Eza » Thu Dec 12, 2002 6:10 am

Almost, but not quite.

Yes, because the storage cache doesn't work from inn to inn, and sometimes you gotta have specific items in specific places.

It's very easy to use, the commands seem a bit long winded, but that could just be me.

Ashiwi's ideas are very good, those, and say.. the ability to access my wd storage if I am doing something in cp and forgot an item, would really help imho.

------------------
- Booty Assasin -

Selias group-says 'I get scared grouping with eza'
Selias group-says 'I'm afraid she's going to assassinate my booty!'
Burpie
Sojourner

Postby Burpie » Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:58 am

1) Yes. I don't have a whole lot of stuff.

2) Yes. Because carrying around cursed weapons, imho, should be able to be put into storage. It saves the hassle and potential of losing it when you quit or it drops from spell. I had petitioned this idea in the past and you personally replied that you would consider Image

3. VERY easy to use. I love this ability.

4. Yes, have all inns' storages accessable mayby by char/access/town/password. Money(ATM) is this way, why not storage?

Opinion: This was a very convenient and creative idea (storage). I really love it! Thank you!
Fura
Sojourner

Postby Fura » Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:10 pm

I really like my storage space. Image I have the advantage of having several characters, though, so I will make sure they all have storage space and sort my items by character's storage. My former storage character has had some fun actually doing something, and I'm very glad for that.

But unless more weightless bags are out, I can see some people who collect things won't have enough room.

Could there be an ATM in the inns? Money isn't easy to transfer yet.

Thank you so much for the storage space!

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”