Downgrade This Stuff

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Fri Dec 13, 2002 9:58 pm

Nukkie that last post was precious bro...

I am laughing my nuts off at the last part alone.. hahaha

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Tanji ASSOC:: 'god was blueballed the night before he made Thanuk'
Keijen
Sojourner

Postby Keijen » Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:40 pm

Is redistribution of eq an option? Take for example how fangs belt was handled: at the time, it was just too good for crypts, but in CC, it was perfect.

Could something similar be implemented for say, the eldritch ring? Move it to clouds and put a 65 hp -9 str ring in its place in TF.

Predicted results:

1) The risk-to-reward ratio will have been fixed.

2) Existing player kits won't have to be downgraded.

3) There will be a smoother increment from low-end gear to high-end gear.

Penshah

[This message has been edited by Keijen (edited 12-13-2002).]
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Dec 14, 2002 12:14 am

i like this idea.

BUT.

it's gonna suck to the people who have eldritches now if they stay the same. downgrade eldritches to 65hp or whatever like you say, and add the 75hp to clouds, but make sure ALL the old rings get downgraded. what happened to roots belt was stupid.
Bipple
Sojourner

Postby Bipple » Sat Dec 14, 2002 12:48 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Keijen:
<B>Is redistribution of eq an option? Take for example how fangs belt was handled: at the time, it was just too good for crypts, but in CC, it was perfect.

Could something similar be implemented for say, the eldritch ring? Move it to clouds and put a 65 hp -9 str ring in its place in TF.

Predicted results:

Penshah

[This message has been edited by Keijen (edited 12-13-2002).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All this would do is cause people to stop doing TF (Vault anyone?). No point doing a lesser zone for lesser equip, everyone wants the best and almost all chars are strong enough to get it. Out of all the hard zones the only one that isn't done almost every boot is Bronze Citadel.
Bipple
Sojourner

Postby Bipple » Sat Dec 14, 2002 12:51 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tasan:
<B> Just 1 more reason to dg Full Heal.

Twinshadow

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, lets track down the one class which hasn't received a power upgrade since Toril and blame them for all balance problems. Illu and enchanter do their jobs and full heal isn't even needed.
Iktar
Sojourner

Postby Iktar » Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:34 am

Here's solution!! in my opinion :P

http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum6/HTML/002138.html
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:47 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iktar:
Here's solution!! in my opinion :P

</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got one person to start playing fulltime, does that make me part of the solution? Image

------------------
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

[This message has been edited by Xisiqomelir (edited 12-13-2002).]
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:14 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Keijen:
<B>Is redistribution of eq an option? Take for example how fangs belt was handled: at the time, it was just too good for crypts, but in CC, it was perfect.

Predicted results:

Penshah

[This message has been edited by Keijen (edited 12-13-2002).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

this is just the old roots belt situation but worse. i think all roots belts should be downgraded to 25 hp or lower btw

------------------
Shevarash OOC: 'I never thought I'd long for Muma to be on OOC'
Oyob tells you 'are you a god?\'
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat Dec 14, 2002 5:23 am

Corth- I didn't say upgrade bronze citadel. I said make it so mobs can be more powerful than level 59. That way, the area makers can keep making harder and harder zones, and thus the equipment cap can be removed. I am advocating the removal of the equipment cap!

------------------
-Yayaril
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:13 am

i'm surprised you guys havent found the most obvious solution to all your extra gear.

handing it out to the true newbies.

remember, this game is NOT friendly to the low levels, especially low level casters, and any help you give them will make them stick with the game AND possibly return an awesome player later.
Iktar
Sojourner

Postby Iktar » Sat Dec 14, 2002 3:19 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Xisiqomelir:
<B> I got one person to start playing fulltime, does that make me part of the solution? Image

yup! Image
now the chance of longevity of mud is increased by one additonal player!
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Tue Dec 17, 2002 2:52 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jhorr:
<B>Re: Thanuk

"So after a 3 month quest, a number of hard rares, and going out and getting another seperate item, you have gained 8 hps and some svspell. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
yeah im convinced. 868 hps and having -27 svspell is definately better than 860 hps and -24 svspell, so it must be worth the 3 extra months of effort it took to make that tiny, tiny jump.
You really don't see a flaw in this logic?"

The question is what magnitude of a jump are you advocating for? At the higher end of the EQ scale, I would say that it SHOULD become more and more challenging to improve your kit. As Dug agreed, the relationship between investment and reward should become logarithmic as the rewards get better and better, not remain linear. This is how the MUD currently prevents us all from maxxing out our kits too soon. If you REALLY want to max it out, you should HAVE to do laborious and risky quests for what may seem like a small upgrade, but an upgrade nonetheless.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i stopped here. will read again tomoorw.
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:01 pm

yah, i think i would place a comment here, but i bitch enough on the mud, no sense in doing it here too!
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:41 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thanuk:
<B> I had a new passtime till your momma quit dancing! OMG 2 points for me!

i dont get it. you took dancing class with her mom? like ballroom dancing or swing dancing? why is this funny?
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:46 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sok:
i dont get it. you took dancing class with her mom? like ballroom dancing or swing dancing? why is this funny?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because much like you after a few egg nogs, her mom dances on tables for dollars.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
Udor says 'con doesnt do shit'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:53 pm

And Thanuk paid her enough to retire on. Go Mom!
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:45 am

Quoted from Jhorr:

c) Most players don't know how or are unmotivated to get the best EQ for their characters. Also, the current diversity in available EQ under-represents that which is possible. Either make people learn quests, or create some different items that are reasonable alternatives.

I've been skimming through these posts, and this one struck a cord in me. I just recently did my first clouds run, and when it came down to bidding time I noticed that the eq from clouds wasn't much better than the eq I was already wearing. I almost bid on a hitter item b/c the caster items weren't that big of an upgrade. Before Clouds, the hardest zone I had eq from was swamp/MD. Personally I'm unmotivated to get that extra 100hp -5sb -10ss or whatever I could get from the best possible kit. The gear I have now gets me through zones with minimal deaths, so why even worry about getting better stuff?

Downgrading eq would be a step in the right direction. Losing 200 of my 600hp would make me die more, and therefor make me want to go to the harder zones to get back up to 600hp. It's not the end all of ways to fix this problem, but it's definitly a start.
Uwuw
Sojourner

Postby Uwuw » Mon Dec 23, 2002 7:03 am

Okay... I've been playing on Soj for maybe 5 or 6 years.
The highest level character i've ever had is level 42, my current troll warrior. I've played a warrior of every race that allows it... over all this time.
I've done *some* zoning with people, but nothing "hardcore"
After the wipe, i played a goodie for awhile, got bored of it, left the mud for about a month, and started playing a troll...
after about 3 months of playing my troll, mostly solo, i was level 25, with gear suitable for a level 40... i've been called a twink... however, most of my gear was bought or traded for. (I do alot of trading, when I can)
yes, if you gather 100's of thousands of copper, they add up to some decent plat totals, look at Split Shield, there are tons of copper and crap laying around.

anyway. I don't know everything about the mud, and I been here for 6 years .. a downgrade in any form would hurt... but life would go on. I'm not a cookie cutter btw...

i got alot of nifty stuff, and even gave up "better" stuff, for "niftier looking stuff" like my elf plate, for onyx encrusted platemail.

I gave away a mith torque once, cause i just did lolth amulet quest for shits and giggles... decided to keep it.

People's attitude needs to UPgraded, imho.

-Uwuw

sorry for the rambling, tired.
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Tue Dec 24, 2002 12:21 am

UPGRADE BEER!!

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”