Quests revisited

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Waelos
Sojourner

Quests revisited

Postby Waelos » Fri Jan 31, 2003 5:57 pm

Guys I'd like to look at this from another angle. No offense to anyone again (I seem to be saying this alot lately hehe) but have you stopped to think that if these people didn't do the quests over and over again that a very large portion of the mud population would never get the quest items that these people are selling/trading? This may sound haughty but give me a second to explain:

Quests are not for everyone. In fact, there are a very elite few that have/had the skill, tenacity, guile, complete lack of life ( Image) to complete many of these. Without these pioneers, others would never have learned the quests. They never would have had quest items to trade for, nor any clue as to where to start a quest, what items were needed, etc.

I am a firm believer that 99% of all quest information has been grandfathered by 1% of the population. The phenomenon of selling/trading quest items is as old as the game, and this will never change, nor should it. I pay homage to those before me. . . those who I've gleaned knowlege from and used what I learned to do new quests myself. Questing legends like Illreok, Dizahk, Chandigar, Mplor. Not all of them are with us in full any more, yet their knowledge and work live on in others. I'm sure they've given away / sold / etc. from their questing. Why shouldn't they? We're all benefiting from it even _now_ and they're getting jack squat =) I used to guard my quest info, nowadays I'm realatively free with it. I don't hunt rares anymore, I don't hoard things like I used to. I just zone, gather and trade for the most part. Eventually those who're doing quests over and over will stop, and it will be time for the next generation, if they're patient, smart and lacking in a real life enough (hahah) they will succeed as the next generation of Questors.

Perhaps we shouldn't be so blatant about it, but lets not squash the quest item trading/selling. Most people would lose out on owning/learning quests. It is a natural part of the game.

All that being said, I must back up Thanuk and say 'Don't be a dick'. That is a simple rule that if we all follow we can enjoy the capitalistic fun environment without having the complete monopoly of a Gatesist world. or something! THanks for listening.

The Lost

"Don't be a Dick, eat a. . ." -Thanuk (BWahahaha)

------------------
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:39 pm

thats right folks, dont be a dick, eat a banana, cuz they are gonna be extinct soon!

Seriously tho, just dont be a dick and theres no need to imply strict, harsh rules concerning quest items. It really is possible for a bunch of adults(ok well sort of) to regulate their own behavior without relying on strict rules to be enforced by outside parties.

P.S. theres alot of quests you cant do without trading for quest eq, keep that in mind goodrace peoples

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw

Gargauth responds to your petition with 'whats your point, we hate you'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Jan 31, 2003 7:27 pm

I think Wey hit the nail on the head for the part about this that annoys me the most - the incredibly blatant flaunting of the rules. There are several reasons those rules are in existance, and if you can get around them without getting noticed then more power to you, but acting like you can do anything you damned well please and screw everybody else is what's going to bring back the age of harsh policing and severe penalties.

Don't cheat, but if you have to cheat at least do it in ways that don't beg for repercussions which will affect the entire mud.
Chandigar2
Sojourner

Postby Chandigar2 » Fri Jan 31, 2003 7:34 pm

Ooof... thanks for the props, but I gotta admit I didn't do a lot of those old quests alone. Most of my questing was done with Arastorin, an old school ranger (for you young'uns) Image

Gotta give credit where credit is due Image

[This message has been edited by Chandigar2 (edited 01-31-2003).]

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”