The Hawkfeather Sisters.

Share your original RP stories here.
Duna
Sojourner

The Hawkfeather Sisters.

Postby Duna » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:27 pm

I hope you like it :)

In a small village, in the frozen north by the Spine of the World, there was a second daughter born to the Hawkfeathers. Romak and Fama's first born, Yarthra was just two years old, when her sister Duna was born. Romak was a little disappointed that he had another daughter, but he hid his disappointment from Fama, as he had when Yarthra was born. Romak was hoping for a son this time. He wanted someone whom he could train to hunt and fight by his side. A son who could not only become a warrior like himself, but could carry on the Hawkfeather name. Romak, like most barbarian men looked at daughters as an extra cook and housekeeper until they could be married off. It's not that Romak didn't love his daughters, which he did. He just didn't think females had the strength, drive or tenacity to become warriors.
As the girls were growing the family would sit in their hut in the evenings and Romak would retell the tales of his adventures, as old warriors are want to do. When Yarthra reached the age of eight she noticed some of the village boys playing with wooden swords, clubs and shields. As she watched them play and practice, she kept thinking how she would have handled this or done that differently. One evening while Romak was retelling the tale of his adventure to Baldur's Gate, Yarthra asked him if he had learned to fight the same way the village boys were learning. Romak was quick to answer that he had indeed learned in such a way. Yarthra asked him if he still had his old practice sword and shield. Romak answered that he most certainly did, and that he kept them in the trunk in his and Fama's bedroom. The next morning as Duna was helping Fama with the wash Yarthra snuck into Romak and Fama's bedroom and took the wooden sword and shield out of their trunk. She then ran off to where the village boys were practicing with their swords. As she skirted around the boys, she was looking to find the one who stood out the most. Then she saw him, he wasn't using a sword or club, but an axe carved out of wood. she knew this boy, she'd seen him around the village often, he was two years her senior, his name was Nokar. She'd picked her opponent, now it was time to strike. Being older, Nokar was helping to watch over the younger boys. He had just spoken with two of the smaller boys, setting them to practice more and stepped back. This was it, this was the opening she'd waited for. She stepped up behind him and poked her sword in his back. He swung around with his axe and she deftly blocked the strike with her shield. Not a word was spoken, Nokar looked at Yarthra with surprise. Yarthra looked Nokar in the eye with such determination, that he knew she was not going to back down, perhaps she would even be a worthy opponent. They squared off and began to practice, only Nokar noticed that this opponent, this girl, wasn't playing like the other boys did. He could tell that this girl took this battle as seriously as he took all of his battles. He was blocking each of her strikes and she was blocking each of his, as well. The other boys started to take notice of what was happening. As they noticed the strangeness of a girl battling amongst them, they stopped practicing and began watching. As Yarthra and Nokar yept fighting, more of a crowd gathered. After an hour or so several of the men had joined the watching crowd. One of the men recognized Yarthra as Romak's daughter. He sent one of the boys to get Romak. When Romak arrived he was shocked to see Yarthra battling on of the boys, especially one that was older than her. When Romak saw and realized what sword and shield Yarthra was using he went from shock to anger. As Romak started to step forward to retrieve Yarthra, the man who had sent for him placed his hand upon his shoulder to stop him, and said "Just watch". As Romak watched his anger melted away. The more he watched, the less he saw a defiant daughter. He was seeing a daughter who would become a great warrior. While watching Yarthra battle, Romak began to swell with pride. His daughter was matching the Firewolf boy blow for blow. The men of the village already knew that Nokar was going to be a great warrior one day. In just a couple years he would be joining the older boys to train and practice with real weapons and shields. The crowd could tell that Nokar and Yarthra were beginning to tire, their movements were beginning to slow. Then all of a sudden *BAM* someone's blow connected with flesh. Romak winced, knowing that a blow to the neck such as that, with the force used to connect, would not only leave a mark but also a very painful bruise as well. As the crowd looked on in awe and shock, Nokar conceded the battle to Yarthra. As Yarthra looked at Nokar in surprise, he told her ' A death blow ends a battle, no matter the weapon.' It was then that they noticed the crowd gathered around them. Nokar looked at Yarthra and gave her a bit of a sheepish grin, then walked off tucking his axe into his belt.
Yarthra saw her father approching with some determination. She was certain he was angry at her for having stolen his sword and shield. When Romak reached Yarthra the only words he was able to get past his lips were ' Let's go home daughter.' All Yarthra could say was 'Yes father.' As they began to walk towards home Romak placed his hand on Yarthra's shoulder. As they were making their way through the crowd several of the village men and boys congratulated Yarthra on her skill with a sword. Several of the men also congratulated Romak on having such a brave daughter. Everytime one of the men said something to Romak he would give Yarthra's shoulder a slight squeeze. That was when Yarthra realized he wasn't angry with her.
That evening, as they sat around the fire, Romak told a story of a new battle. It was the story of Yarthra's first battle. Romak declared that evening that Yarthra would practice and train with the boys from then on. He also annouced that Duna would start to practice and train with the boys the following week. Fama spoke up after hearing this. Fama said 'Romak, are you certain this is best? Yarthra I understand, but Duna?' Romak stood and faced Fama. Romak said ' that's what I said.' Fama said ' Yes, b-b-but, *sigh* never mind.' Fama lowered her eyes and began to turn away from Romak. He stopped her by placing his hand on her shoulder. When she didn't look up at him he gently placed his hand under her chin and lifted her face. As Romak looked into Fama's eyes he could see the concern and worry she was trying to hide. It pained Romak to know that what he'd said caused her to worry so much. Romak spoke tenderly saying ' Don't worry Love, she'll only be training for a short time each day.' Romak almost said it was for Duna's own good, but he couldn't share these worries with Fama. He and the other men were concerned about the signs they'd seen far to the east, it looked as though Trolls were in the area.
The next morning, as Yarthra was preparing to go join the boys there was a knock on the door. When she opened the door she was surprised to find Nokar there. She just stood there staring at him until, from behind her Romak said ' Hello Nokar, What brings you to our home this fine day?' Nokar hesitantly said ' Hello sir, I thought, perhaps i could walk with Yarthra to the training area.' At that Yarthra snapped out of the trance she seemed to be in. She quickly stepped out of the hut and shut the door. She looked at Nokar and said ' Let's go.' It only took a minute for Yarthra to put a bit of distance between them. As Nokar hurried to catch up to her, he was pulling something out of his belt. When he caught up to Yarthra he put his hand on her shoulder to stop her. When Yarthra turned around Nokar got a sheepish grin on his face and said ' This is for you.' Yarthra started to protest that she couldn't take his axe, but Nokar told her to hush. Then he pointed out that his axe was still in his belt, this axe was for her. Yarthra thanked Nokar for the axe saying ' Oh! I can't wait to try it out! ' with smiles on their faces they hurried off to train.
The next year was one of Joy for Yarthra. She and Nokar became much closer, and her skills as a warrior improved greatly. The year wasn't a very good one for Duna. It was becoming more and more obvious that she had no skills as a warrior. Instead of giving up she kept trying, she wanted her father to be proud of her. One day after her short practice she went walking in the meadow where she came across a shaman. The shaman asked her when she was going to start her lessons. Duna was so surprised by this that she giggled nervously and asked ' Why would I take lessons from you? ' The shaman replied ' because it is your destiny to do so.' Sensing her confusion the shaman added ' Tempus has shown me where your path in life lies. ' Duna replied ' No, I'm to be a warrior like my father and sister.' All the shaman said was ' We will see.' Duna walked off shaking her head. When she reached home she considered telling her parents about the shaman and what he had said. Before she could say anything Romak asked ' How did training go today?' 'Same as always.' was Duna's reply. As Duna began her chores around the hut, there was a knock at the door. When Romak answered the door, the man introduced himself as Tolok, a shaman of Tempus. He asked Romak if he might speak with him and Fama. Romak, of course, agreed that he could. Romak started to send Duna outside, but Tolok said she should stay. Tolok started off by saying that he was the main shaman at the temple just outside the village. Tolok said ' I come, because Tempus has shown me that your daughters are to serve him. Each in their own way.' Romak said ' Aye, Yarthra's skills as a warrior improve everyday, and Duna is learning to become a warrior as well.' Tolok said ' Yes, Yarthra will become a warrior, but Tempus has other plans for Duna.' Tolok went on to say ' Duna's path is one of prayer. Duna is to become a shaman of Tempus.' Romak and Fama were quite surprised by this. Tolok said ' Duna should come to the temple in the morning to begin her lessons.' With that Tolok left. After Tolok had gone Romak looked at Fama and said in disbelief ' We're to have a shaman in the family.' Hearing this Duna, almost in tears, said ' I-I-I'm sorry father.' 'Sorry?' Fama said, 'Nonsense. It's an honor and a very proud moment for you father and I.' Romak looked at Duna, then embraced her in a hearty hug saying ' This is a proud moment for all of us daughter.'
Duna left with Yarthra the next morning, as usual, but this day she went to the temple instead of the training area. As Duna approached the temple her steps slowed. Even though the shaman said that this is what Tempus wanted from her, she was still quite nervous and even a bit scared. After taking a deep breath, she entered the temple. Tolok greeted her as she entered and asked ' Are you ready?' Duna said ' I think so.' thus her training began. As her training progressed over the next month Duna started to feel as if she truly belonged amongst the shamen. As the months wore on Duna started to understand the joy Yarthra found in her training as a warrior. Over the following year Duna became more adept with her meditative praying and was making great strides in her healing. That evening, at home, Yarthra was going on about the steel hand axes Nokar had gotten for his birthday. Romak announced that the men were going hunting the next day. After hearing this Yarthra started to pester Romak to go with the hunting party. After about the fourth time of Yarthra asking ' Can I go with you?' and Romak replying 'No.' Romak said ' I said no, and that's final. Not another word about it.' Yarthra then asked ' But why not?' Romak said ' because I said so. Now I don't want to hear another word about it.' Yarthra stomped off to her pallet, upset, muttering under her breath ' I bet Nokar gets to go.'
The next morning as they were breaking their fast, Yarthra said 'Can' Romak cut her off saying ' I told you last nite, No. Now that's final.' With that Romak stood up, grabbed his spear, kissed Fama good bye and headed off to join the other men. A short time later the girls headed off for their training. When Yarthra reached the training area she was surprised and happy to see that Nokar hadn't gone hunting. A short time later, as Duna was praying she heard screams coming from the village. As Duna hurried toward the temple doors to see what was happening, Tolok stopped her and said ' Go, send the people to the temple. I will start casting spells of protection on the temple to keep us safe from the intruders.' As Duna hurried out the doors of the temple she looked towards the village and saw utter chaos. She started running towards the village yelling ' Go to the temple.' and ' Take shelter at the temple.' As Duna got closer to the village she heard a new sound, one she almost didn't recognize. It was the sound of steel meeting steel. Duna's first thought was that the men were back from the hunt. As she reached the village she saw that it wasn't so. She stopped, taking in the scene. Someone had grabbed ahold of her arms, trying to get her attention. It was her mother. Fama hurriedly asked ' Have you seen your sister? ' It was then that Duna realized that she hadn't seen Yarthra heading towards the temple with the other women and children. Fama knew from the look on Duna's face, that Yarthra was with the boys and older men, trying to hold off the trolls while everyone took refuge. They looked back towards the battle. There were several of the younger boys and some of the older men running towards them. Several were covered in blood, while others were injured. Duna looked to Fama and said ' Mother, go with them to the temple, I'll find Yarthra.' Fama started to say ' But daughter,' Duna stopped her by saying ' Don't worry mother, Tempus will protect me.' As Fama hurried off towards the temple Duna said a small prayer asking Tempus to protect Yarthra and watch over her. Ow, Yarthra caught a sword across the forearm. She was trying to fight off two trolls. One of the older men came up and got the attention of one and drew it away. As Yarthra was fighting the other troll her sword broke. No shield, half a sword, this didn't look good and Yarthra knew it. She said a quick prayer to Tempus, thanking him for allowing her to die in battle. Yarthra took a step back and tripped. She looked up at the troll and braced herself for the blow. She heard a war cry from somewhere. In the next moment Nokar was there, trying to save her from the deadly blow. As Yarthra scrambled to her feet, Nokar was struck. As Nokar fell to the ground injured, he dropped one of his axes. Yarthra grabbed it and began to attack the troll again. All of a sudden an arrow whisked past her and straight into the heart of the troll, it was dead. Yarthra turned to see where the arrow had come from and saw that the men were back from the hunt. When Yarthra looked towards Nokar she saw Duna at his side. She was checking Nokar's injuries. Duna looked at Yarthra saying ' We have to get him to the temple, If he's to survive. Come help me carry him. We must hurry.' As Yarthra and Duna carried Nokar between them to the temple, the battle raged on around them. After reaching the temple they got Nokar settled on a make shift pallet. Yarthra sat down beside himand took his hand in hers. Duna began calling for someone to bring her the items she needed. Duna cleansed the wound and began applying ointments. Duna saw that the wound began by the corner of his left eye and went down his neck. As Duna finished bandaging the wound she began to clean the blood off of Nokar's chest. She then discovered that the wound didn't stop with his neck, but went on about half way down his chest. Duna quickly applied ointments and bandaged up his chest. The whole time Yarthra just sat there staring at Nokar's hand in hers. Duna hurried off to help with more of the injured. After the battle was over the men began to gather the bodies of the dead, and inform the families of those who had died with honor. As the villagers began heading back to their homes, Fama tried to get Yarthra to leave Nokar's side. If Yarthra had heard anything that Fama had said she didn't acknowledge it. Yarthra sat there, as still as a statue. Romak told Fama ' Leave her, she has seen much this day. If this is how she finds to cope with it, so be it.' Fama looked towards Yarthra and said 'I'm certain you're right. But I can't help but worry.' Fama sighed and looked at Romak saying ' I'm afraid that if he doesn't make it, she won't be the same.' Romak took Fama in his arms, embracing her and said ' After this day, she'll never be the same. Come, let us go home and get some rest.' Fama nodded and they walked out of the temple.
The next morning Duna arrived at the temple earlier than usual. When Duna walked into the temple she looked toward Yarthra and saw that she hadn't moved since the previous evening. As Duna watched Yarthra's body seemed to relax some. Duna realized that Yarthra had fallen asleep. As Yarthra's hands began to go slack, Nokar's hand slipped out. As soon as it happened Yarthra jerked awake and grabbed ahold of it. Tolok stepped up behind Duna saying 'She's done that all night.' Duna nodded at Tolok, then walked off to check bandages on the injured. When Duna headed home that evening Yarthra was still sitting there, the bowl of food Duna had tried to get her to eat earlier, beside her. A few days later, after the dead had been buried, Duna was changing Nokar's bandages when he woke up. He tried to move his hand. When he couldn't he looked over towards Yarthra, then back at Duna. Duna smiled at him saying ' Rest easy. She's been like that since we brought you here.' Nokar got a frustrated look on his face and managed to get two words past his parched throat ' How long?' As Duna got him some water and helped him drink it, she said ' Almost four days now.' Nokar tried to sit up, but Duna put a hand to his chest saying ' Lay. You have much healing yet to do.' Neither had realized that Yarthra was starting to come around. Duna stood to walk off when she heard someone sobbing softly. When Duna looked to see who it was, she realized that it was Yarthra. Nokar had heard it as well. He turned towards Yarthra and placed his free hand on her cheek, then began to speak to her very softly. Duna walked off to give them some privacy. That evening, Duna didn't walk home alone. When they reached home Yarthra told Romak and Fama that Nokar was awake. Fama asked Yarthra ' What happened that day? ' Yarthra just shook her head, turned and walked towards her pallet. Fama started to follow her, but Romak stopped her by saying ' Let her go.' He went on to say ' When she's ready to talk about it, she will.' Fama nodded at Romak. A few months later Nokar returned to his training, as healthy as ever.
The next five years went on much the same as the year before the troll attack had. Nokar was nearing the 'end' of his training and Yarthra had only a couple years left with hers. As Duna was heading home one evening she overheard Romak and Nokar's father talking. They were talking about Yarthra and Nokar. Romak said ' If he respects her he will wait the two years to marry her. ' Nokar's father said ' Yes. Well he is a bit of an impulsive boy.' Romak responded ' Yes, Yes, Well we shall see.' As the next few months passed Nokar completed his training and began to hunt with the men whenever they went. Some people were surprised that Nokar had chosen, thus far to remain in his father's home. Most were not surprised by this. They figured that he was waiting until he could marry Yarthra and they could start a home together.
One morning at about dawn, almost two years later, there was a knock on the door. Romak hurried to open the door, thinking that the only reason someone would knock so early was bad news. Nokar stood there with a backpack slung over his shoulder. Nokar asked to speak with Yarthra, Romak said 'Of course. Come in, come in.' Nokar stepped into the hut. Yarthra stepped up to Nokar asking ' What is it?' Nokar took Yarthra's hand in his and looked into her eyes saying ' I've come to say goodbye. I've realized that my future, whatever it is, lies outside of the village.' Yarthra nodded saying ' I thought as much.' Before anyone realized what she was doing, Yarthra grabbed her backpack and filled it with her belongings. Fama spoke first ' What are you doing? ' Yarthra hugged her and gave her a kiss on the cheek saying ' I love you mother, Goodbye.' Romak spoke up then ' You are not leaving this hut.' Yarthra hugged him, saying ' He's right father, his future lies away from the village.' Giving Duna a quick hug, she grabbed her backpack. Tossing it over her shoulder she said ' My path is to follow him. Where ever he may go. Goodbye.' The family was quite shocked by all of this. As they stood there in shock Yarthra and Nokar left. Once the shock wore off Fama began to cry. Romak took her in his arms and started to reassure her, saying ' It will be alright. She'll not stay gone. She's a good girl. She'll be home before you know it.' Romak didn't fully believe this, he knew it would be quite sometime until they saw Yarthra and Nokar again. Romak was determined, though, that when he did he had a few things he wanted to do to the boy.
Just over a year had passed since Yarthra and Nokar had left home. No one had seen them, or even heard from them. One day an outsider showed up at the village, it was a Half-Elven bard named Kobei. The villagers welcomed him warmly, it was quite rare for a bard to visit. The village women started planning a feast in his honor. The men were getting the large fire pit in the square ready for a fire. Some of the men helped bring tables out of peoples homes, so that the women could place the food out. That evening everyone ate in the village square. After the bard had finished eatting he took up his lyre and began to sing. He sang a song about two lovers, then one about traveling, he continued to sing until he had everyone's full attention. Once everyone was finished eatting, he set his lyre aside and began to tell tales of places far away. He told a tale about a city called Waterdeep, one about a ranger named Waelos, even one about a human assassin named Nilan. As the tales went on he started telling one about some adventurers that left Waterdeep and came upon a town called Longhollow. The town had been invaded by orcs and other such things. The adventurers, apparently, came across the mayor of the town who asked for their help. It seems that his wife was a hostage inside the town. The adventurers fought bravely and freed the mayor's wife. The bard said something about the adventurers being a rag tag group. Many people started asking what he meant. The bard replied ' there were several barbarians, a few mages, even an assassin in the group. When Romak heard that there were barbarians involved he asked if the bard knew any names. The bard replied ' Of course. There was a fellow named Nokar the other warriors were named Yarthra, Vigis, and Podar, the shamans were named Neralk and Nekler. I believe the mages names were Rhoquinn and Gartra, and I've talked about the assassin already this evening, Nilan.' When Romak and Fama heard that Yarthra was involved they started asking many questions of the bard. Unfortuneately he was unable to answer them. He didn't know where Yarthra might be now. The bard left the village after a few days, but he first promised Romak and Fama that if he happened to meet Yarthra in his travels he would let her know to visit home.
One night, several months later, Duna awoke with a start. As she looked around, making certain she was on her own pallet, she realized what had awoken her. It had been a dream, or had it. Duna sat there thinking about what had happened in her dream. Tempus had told her that it was time for her to leave home. She was to go in search of a wandering shaman. This shaman would show her the way to enter the spirit realm. She was to go there and get a spirit protector, an animal that when called would help her in whatever she need. Tempus also gifted her with a magical word, that when uttered would bring her back to the temple in the village. At the thought of this Duna was excited, for she would be able to go see the world as Yarthra had. But then, Duna realized that her mother would be upset at her leaving. This was not going to be easy, Duna realized. Duna laid back down to think on how to tell her parents, and get them to understand what she must do. Duna drifted back to sleep. When she was awoken by Fama the next morning she hurried off of her pallet and rushed out the door. Duna ran almost the whole way to the temple, she needed to speak with Tolok. He would have an idea on how to tell her parents. When Duna reached the temple Tolok was waiting for her. Tolok looked at Duna and said ' Sit with me. We shall meditate and discuss the meaning of the dream.' Duna was surprised that he knew of the dream. As she sat down she explained ' I understood the dream. I'm just not sure how to explain it to my parents.' Duna went on saying ' Mother worries about my sister so much. I just don't wish to cause her more worry.' Tolok reassured Duna saying ' Tempus sees your mother's worry over Yarthra. He wished to ease her mind about you. That is why he has given you the gift he has.' Tolok continued on with' When your mother realizes you have to utter but one word to return home, she'll not worry over you as she has Yarthra.' Duna nodded at hearing this saying ' But how do I get her to understand? ' Tolok said simply ' Show her. Now, go, speak with you parents. You must begin preparing yourself for your journey.'
Duna slowly walked home, thinking about what she was going to say. Upon reaching home, Duna walked into the hut and saw the worry on Romak and Fama's faces. She knew there was no putting this off. She sat at the table and looked at Romak and Fama. Duna took a large breath and said ' Mother, Father, we need to talk.' Fama began to cry saying ' You're leaving as your sister did, aren't you? ' Duna said ' Yes and No.' Duna explained about Tempus coming to her in her dreams the previous night. She told them of the quest she must fulfil. Duna went on to explain the gift Tempus had given her, so Fama wouldn't worry over her as much. Fama had started to calm down somewhat. Duna could tell that she didn't quite believe her about the gift she had been given. Duna stood saying ' I will be right back.' Duna uttered a word and disappeared. Romak and Fama rushed out the door, in surprise, and looked toward the temple. When they saw Duna coming out of the temple they released their breath. Romak and Fama looked at each other and laughed nervously. They hadn't realized that they were holding their breath. As Duna approached them she said ' I must begin preparing for my journey.'
Two short days later, the family was up before dawn. As they were saying Goodbye, Romak made Duna promise to ask every bard she met if they knew of Yarthra. Fama insisted that she promise to come home often. Duna was saying ' I promise. I'll keep my promise.' as she was heading out the door. Romak stopped her saying ' One more thing.' Dunas said ' Yes father?' Romak said ' Seek out those the bard mentioned in his story. Perhaps they will know where you sister is.' Duna said ' I will father. Good Bye.' With that she left. Duna wasn't sure where to go at first. She considered looking fot the shaman first, but wasn't sure where to look. She decided to head to Waterdeep, perhaps Yarthra was still there.
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:32 pm

Very Nice Story Duna!!!!

Cheer

Keep em coming

Hugs,

Nilan

Return to “Stories”