Lorsalian Silvermist -- Part II

Share your original RP stories here.
Lorsalian
Sojourner

Lorsalian Silvermist -- Part II

Postby Lorsalian » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:17 am

Lorsalian stood on a quartz bridge over a lake in a valley of exquisite beauty.

After many days, he at length had located the valley of elves the merchant mentioned. Far in the distance, the surrounding rivers tossed their waters down from the heights, forming giant waterfalls whose mists imparted to the early morning sunlight an opalescent fire. The path upon which he stood was of a purple quartz, and angled around the largest lake in the valley, through several collections of buildings, and up a hill to a large building made of the palest stone.

If not for the steady march of the sun into the sky, the half-elf could not have later known how long he stood there, transfixed. By the sun's height in the sky, however, it seemed to be an hour or two before noon before he started up the path. As he past by several homes and shops on the path, the elves he met observed the way the ranger was still wheeling around occasionally to gape up at the valley edge, and merely smiled and left him to his travels, watching as he departed. Ah, youth, their smiles seemed to say; they looked up and gazed anew at sights to which they had long become accustomed.

He walked into the building on the hill, and, after a foyer of the finest pale quartz, Lorsalian arrived in a shrine. Statues of elven gods stood in the temple, one in each corner.

Far more enthralling, however, was the silvery door that hung mid-air in the center of the room. As the ranger walked around the elfgate – his means of returning, or his means of knowing he can never return – the gate seemed to move with him. From no angle could he look at its edge, yet it was clearly door-like.

He was coming around, turning once again to face the door, when he looked up to see an old elf wearing an elder's golden robes and a bemused expression. Behind the elder was a human in strange attire. His clothing seemed of the roughest weave, built for extensive wear, but the colors and cut lent a festive air.

“What brings you here?” the elder asked.
“This gate's twin, ultimately.”

Lorsalian sighed, took a deep breath, and started to begin his tale, but stopped at the elder's raised hand.

“Here is not the place for a tale – there are others waiting, and you would just need to retell it later. Come, eat with us, then we can share tales.” He turned, and without another word, began walking down a side street.

“Hello there!” the human beamed, clapping Lorsalian on the back with one hand while shaking the ranger's hand with the other. “I'm Nereh. Nereh Ikaer. Don't worry about him,” he continued, nodding at the retreating figure, “he just likes to play the mysterious type. I'm here searching for inspiration myself. The tales, the music, the valley itself! Enough to inspire any singer. Been here for a couple of years, in between trips to the other settlements here on this island. Think it is about time for me to make a trip back to the mainland, though – I'm starting to get a little antsy.”

I never would have guessed, Lorsalian thought, deciding to just smile and look away periodically to make sure they were still following the elder.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-

Whoever built the shrine seems to have had some extra marble, Lor thought as he looked around. Indeed, the walls of the elder's living-room was constructed of the same pale marble. The gathering around the couches consisted of the elder, his assistant – whom Lor suspected prepared the meal – two in the garb of guards, and the two visitors, Nereh and Lor.

“An interesting tale, young Lorsalian,” the elder intoned, lowering his goblet as Lor finished telling of his journey through the gate all those years ago. The journey, his first encounter with a human bar – of steel – his friends among the priests of Ao, and his training as a ranger. He glossed over the rest of the story, just noting that he eventually made his way here. The other elves nodded their agreement – Nereh was frowning, but quickly looked up from his notes and smiled broadly when he noticed Lor looking at him.

“We also encountered a strange change in our gate. One day, it flickered rapidly in and out of existence, followed by a complete disappearance. When, a number of days later, it reappeared, it seemed colder – as inviting as an ice-covered rock in the middle of a tundra.”

“Over the next few years,” the elder continued, “we discovered that only those who had lived, explored, and grown in more than just physical stature could enter and be transported. Any others would become dizzy for a second, then stagger backwards, shivering as if chilled to the bone.” The elder appeared thoughtful for a moment, remembering. “A group arrived here some months ago – I believe that they were those you set out with. All were able to enter – the cities of the mainland must be more interesting than I recall,” he smiled.

After talking for several hours, the elder asked Nereh to guide the new guest to a house set aside for visitors. The night was gray at its darkest – the path was lit with smokeless lanterns, eerily casting shadows on the stones. When out of sight of the elder's home, Nereh pulled him aside in an isolated shadowy alcove. He leaned to the ranger and said quietly, “I didn't want to mention this during the dinner, but I think there is something you should know about the group that you traveled with, if it really was that group that returned a few weeks ago.”

Lorsalian raised his eyebrows skeptically.

“They never really came out and said anything, but they made comments among themselves that the errand they had been sent to achieve was accomplished early,” he began, looking furtively for any who might wander into them, “and how they didn't need to wander around the countryside for months until 'he' finally managed to do it – what 'it' was or 'he' was I have no idea, but I doubt it was good for him. Something about not having to let themselves get lost” He looked puzzled. “The strange thing was – They made no mention of losing anyone.”

Lorsalian frowned, then scoffed, laughing. “You're inventing things, bard.”

With a shrug, Nereh led the half-elf to the house set aside for visitors, and then left for his own room. Lorsalian could barely get to sleep among his thoughts of how it would be to be home again. When he at last fell asleep, his dreams were of the times before the crossing.

“I don’t where the gate is, Lor,” his mother replied, using his nickname, “And since you don't either, the guides will play games with you and the others to make sure you pay attention. If you make the wrong choices, they’ll wander with you for weeks before they tell you that you were wrong.”

He woke slowly the next morning. By the sounds from the direction the bard had gone last night, Nereh seemed to be still asleep. Lorsalian sat up and considered what Nereh had said, and what he remembered. They wouldn't have – a fellow traveler? Maybe they would have let me lead them around until we got lost, but surely they wouldn't have left me, or ... otherwise. Would they?

Some precautions couldn't hurt.

He rose, dressed, and went in search of what he would need. Luckily, even though many of those he met the previous night might linger in bed for a few more hours, it seemed even merchants on this isle could not resist the idea of someone else reaching a mark – err, customer. While he mentally muttered to himself for not bringing the coin he was sure he wouldn't need, he was able to trade his remaining supplies for much of what he lacked in coin. Who would have known dried venison was in such demand here, he would marvel later.

To make his skin seem paler, he chose a hooded cloak, tunic, and pants of the darkest he could manage without becoming obvious. To hide his lobed ears, he combed his hair to hide them, and inserted a few narrow strips of cloth in the back of the hood of his cloak so, when down, it would hide them even if his hair did not. As far as his features, he could only hope to stay to the shadows, and trust to his shaving skill – luckily his skill at healing enchantments had increased. He had heard of those who used clay and horse hair to make themselves seem other than what they were, but even if he had the materials, he hadn't the knack, so he made do with what he did have.

Unfortunately, his best skill wouldn't work all that well. Even if there are not enchantments to catch those who are invisible, I'll need to talk to people eventually, he thought ruefully. It might help if they don't call for a warrior to 'slay the ghost.' He chuckled. Of course, that's how I started this trip. Years ago, after he stumbled from the well-fertilized field the gate dropped him into, a language difficulty caused a barmaid to scream, and a warrior to rush to her 'rescue.' It was only a chance meeting with a cleric who knew elvish that saved him.

Standing in the temple gazing at the dull silver surface of the elfgate, he struggled with the morality of the quick departure he was planning. If it was not true, he was insulting the elder. If it was true, and those of his group had not told anyone, the elder and the bard could provide valuable information – a little more than the jagged ramblings he had heard last night. But if the elder was among them, he might have already sent a warning, and all the disguises in the world wouldn't help the ranger on his return.

Why was he so suddenly suspicious of those he had always trusted without question?

And what if my ... Lorsalian shook his head to clear his head. That thought isn't worth thinking.

The ranger held out his hand and pressed it against the surface of the gate. Memories flooded his mind, flitting from point to point in the last few years – and without his control.

“...know about this grove?” a warm voice asked.
“Ees caisen uhspell!” a woman screamed
“Young elf” an old human mused
“.. you rotten thief!” a voice sneered.
“... start with swords ...”
“... trapped a man ... ”
Cousins!
“I really am better off ...”
“... no mention of losing anyone ...”
... what if my ...

His hand passed through the surface of the portal, and the rest of the ranger followed as Lorsalian stepped again through an elfgate.
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:31 am

Nice tale Lorsalian :)

Enjoyed it alot

Nilan
Lorsalian
Sojourner

Postby Lorsalian » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:29 pm

He drew his cloak tighter and pulled the hood up over his head as a chill wind buffeted him and the rain slid in sheets over his back to join the puddles on the sides of the cobbled road. The youth – for he was still merely a youth by those at his back (in years if not in experiences) – turned to gaze again towards the city he had considered that of his birth.

Leuthilspar, the city in the distance behind him, no longer loomed large in his view; it seemed small against his view of the Endless Sea, as he supposed it should. The only views he gained from this distance in the gloom were provided by occasional flashes of lightning that leapt across the sky.

Before he turned to continue away, he tried to remember what it had looked like on the day he had returned to it.

The cold tingle of sliding into the surface of the elfgate was the only clear memory he had until he arrived in the grotto. That day was as bright as warm as the gate had been black and cold, as were the few inhabitants that he encountered as he walked to his childhood home. Everyone he met smiled as he passed; some even noted his return to their traveling companions who had not seen the ranger at first.

The wind gusted, and the rain intensified – passing the leafy canopy completely to hand on those below.

The door had opened to the hand of an elf Lorsalian had never before seen.
“L- l- lorileria?” the ranger stammered, remembering at the last moment the name of the person he was looking for.

“Who is asking?” The elf replied, looking at his visitor suspiciously.
“Her s–“ cleared his throat as the elf's expression darked, “apprentice. Excuse me.” cough “I went on a search for a rare plant, and thought she lived here.”

“This was never a home of hers,” he replied, and turned, closing the door.

He stared in shock for a moment at the closed door. He thought back to the day he left, when he had been sitting in – the grove. The ranger excitedly wove an enchantment of concealment as he ran passed the city gates, and hurried to his favorite grove –

only to find it occupied by an elf whom he didn't recognize. But, I never found another here; not in the years I sat here. How did she find

Memories returned. Many such groves, she had said.

The smile upon the woman's face as she drank in the all-too-familiar feel of the trees around him, her back supported by two ancient roots, so reminded Lorsalian of his youth – he ... he just didn't have the heart to wake, much less talk, to her. He just turned again, and started walking.

Again in the present, he moved his hands to grasp the sides of his cloak before it could be torn from his back by the frigid gale whose chill permeated his clothing

Lorileria wrote:“When I went looking for you, I checked several places you may have found much more interesting,” she had said, “The Sylvan glades, Anna's cottage, and the library of Larallyn, among others. But you don't seem to have bothered to look for them.”

He had considered for a moment returning to the elfgate, and bringing this entire trip to a close. No, he thought, let's at least see what I was missing all those years I never walked these roads. Numbed beyond feeling, he plodded westward, hunched over and holding his arms tightly across his chest in order to stay warm. He never noticed that the wind had settled, because the rain continued to pour down.
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:10 pm

Great continuation to a wonderful story my ranger buddy :)

Look forward to reading more tales

Nilan
aka
Stabby
Lorsalian
Sojourner

Postby Lorsalian » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:45 am

Lorsalian wrote:Well, here's the last chapter of the background story. Been years in making, and changed a couple of times. On to more recent stories now. Enjoy

The herbalist opened the parchment package and looked disapprovingly at the partially-dried herb. This won't do at all. It had been weeks since the storm over the isle had subsided, but the air still hadn't thinned enough for the wind to dry anything sufficiently – although the pure growth of herbs was astounding. I suppose I could bake these for my mix, but they always form a crust that needs to be separated. She shrugged, oh well. This could make a decent potion until the weather changes.

The woman looked as if she would be in her twenties, if not for the sharply pointed lobeless ears and pale complexion that implied otherwise. She removed the other packages from their places in the wire rack – the first one was the best.

Sighing, she moved the wire to where it would be unlikely to blow away. The hill she had chosen allowed the wind easy access to dry out the herbs she had collected from throughout the Sylvan glades, but that same wind could also destroy.

She idly wondered how the storm had affected the harbor; then she remembered that it had been closed years before. So well was it built the first time that nature hadn't even begun to reclaim it yet. Almost as if it, too, opposes the isolation, she smiled ruefully.

Reminded of the city, Lorileria looked off to the east, where Leuthilspar lay just over the horizon. She thought of her years living there. The groves loved by L – her son, and – the gate that took him from me, she finished, the beginnings of tears welling in her eyes. She still bitterly regretted how events had played out that day. Instead of telling him the true reason he had been chosen to travel, she had berated him - the thorny stick Lor had in his pocket would have likely formed a scar by now if he still ... the thoughts trailed off, and she wiped her cheek with the back of her hand.

Her son had been characterized by a contemplative laziness; he always seemed to think no-one had thought things through as much as he had – a flaw grown out of by most ...eventually. On the day he was taken from her, she had found him napping in one of the groves outside the city. When confronted, he performed a bit of sleight-of-hand to produce and vanish a thorny stick, and Lorileria had pressed on the stick's hiding place, cutting thorn-holes just below the collarbone on his left side in order to impress the seriousness of the day into him.

“What's wrong?” a seemingly-familiar voice said
She looked up hopefully, and for a moment, she saw Lorsalian standing there; after blinking in disbelief, she started noticing all the differences. The half-elf (rare enough a sight) before her looked remarkable similar to him, but was so ... confident.
He was wearing a green tunic, but his arms and legs gleamed of blue metal. He appeared so ...

Solemn.
Armored.
Serious.
Not her son.

The figure watched her expression drop, looked puzzled for a moment, then made a mystic gesture, and a thorny stick appeared in his hand.

Lorileria's depression flashed to a cold rage instantly. How dare he! Standing there; so casually twisting my son's memory! She leapt to grab the stick and throw it away, or in his face – she didn't really care. The figure dropped the stick to the side, grabbed his tunic, and pulled it down, revealing a scar of several circular wounds right above his heart.

“No need for that.”
She stopped in her tracks, and tentatively reached out to touch the scar.

“L- Lor?” she whispered, looking up at a face that looked more familiar for the wry smile upon it.
“Hello, mother,” Lorsalian replied, a slight catch in his voice, “sorry I'm late.”

They stood there for several minutes in shock. Then Lorileria's swung upwards, and she slapped Lorsalian even harder on the same place she had those years before – he was just lucky the scar had healed in that time.

“What was that for?”
“For putting me through that charade, and for taking so long. What have you been doing?”
“That's a long story.”
“Good,” she replied, picking up her satchel, her face resuming an impassive mask, “if so many years could be summed up so easily, you'd deserve another one of those. You can start after you help me with my dry-racks on the next hill.”

The relatively cool night air blew throughout the small house.

“I wasn't sure if that bard was right or not, but it seemed he could be, so I found a suit of clothing that would serve well as a disguise,” Lor continued proudly. It had been weeks since he had begun recounting the years he had been away, and was finally arriving to current events.

“Is that what you were wearing when I saw you?”
“No those were my normal traveling clothes. After I realized the stupidity of walking out in a storm like that,” Lorsalian replied, to his mother's nodding agreement, “I stored them in my pack. But they worked like a charm. No frowns or unkind words. Everyone was friendly.”
“Could I see them?”

As Lorsalian unpacked the clothes he had bought with a few packages of dried venison, Lorileria was barely able to contain her chuckling.
“Those weren't friendly smiles, Lor. Those clothes look ridiculous. You've a lot to learn.”
“About disguises?”
“Yes, that, too,” she pondered.

“When your mentor sent you to heal those humans,” she continued, “did you try to make yourself seem more human?”
“No, I wore a heavy hooded cloak where the hood would draw low, concealing anything about my face, and shied away from sunlight– as long as I kept helping tend to the wounded, they would simply think me one unsuited to the outdoors. Slightly pale skin isn't much of an oddity there. But,” he added, walking over and holding his arm beside hers to compare, “even this much difference would be noticed.”

“You think so?” She stood and walked to a cupboard, removed a tiny jar, and applied some of its powdered contents to her arm, and returned to place it next to her son's.

It matched.

“But, how, why, what ...” he stammered.
“There are other elves, Lor, though we tend to be separate. When we do meet, occasionally we'll attempt to minimize the differences, or extenuate them. Those merchants you told me of,” she started, in a tone that would have once made Lor shy away from the lesson, “would they wear their gaudiest jewelry if they needed to deal with any near the poor quarter?”

“Not a single piece,” he chuckled, “They wouldn't make it fifty feet without losing most of it.” His face fell, “if not more.”

“They would dress casually, yes. Yet they still have the jewelry. Why? For their meetings with other, poorer merchants, to rub it in. For when they try to fit in with the nobility. These powders are much the same. They won't make you look like your father was other than he was,” she stopped for a moment before continuing, “but to those very unused to meeting with one of the others, you might appear to be one of them if you hide your ears.”

“What was he like?”

“Your father? Much like your mentor in many ways, if your tales do him justice. Warm, caring. Yet different in just as many ways. He loved music– loves, loved” she stopped.

“He was a bard?” Lorsalian asked, thinking fearfully about the frivolous and gaudily-dressed creature who had been visiting the Llewyrr when the half-elf arrived at the elfgate.

“No, he was nothing like Nereh,” she assured him, laughing. “He couldn't sing or play in the style that would weave magic in the air as those who are truly called to that profession can do, and had little love for gaudy clothing. He just loved sitting in the forest, and listening. Much like you in your youth.”

As if suddenly remembering something, she stood again, and went into the next room. After the sounds of boxes and locks being opened ceased, she returned with a dusty ivory case. “Although, he had a talent for this,” she presented, opening the padded case to reveal a simply beautiful wooden flute. Since he had acquired at least a tiny ability to play one, Lorsalian reached gingerly for it and, seeing no protest, raised it to his lips. Its sound was just as well-formed. Lorsalian could only imagine what it would have sounded like in talented hands.

“Nothing arcane, but it does have a magic of its own, doesn't it?” she said as he reluctantly returned it to its case. “He formed it himself, and played it whenever he could, especially when difficult decisions arose – like whether to leave it and us behind.”

“Hearing it again,” she smiled wistfully, “I see it seems to have given him the clarity he always said it did. I would like you to have it – I think he intended that.”

“Besides,” she looked down. “If it were to be found here by one of the elders, it would be lost forever.”

Lor looked puzzled. “But why would they destroy such a beautiful thing?”

Lorileria sighed, “It is time,” she said, nodding; she moved her chair closer, and leaned in to whisper.

“Because it was created by a human. They never approved of my love for him, and even less of you. I think they and others were glad to have finally convinced the queen to expel all humans. Afterwards, they did all they could to isolate you from everyone else, since they weren't successful in expelling you as well.”

“Did you ever wonder,” she continued as Lor sat in silent shock, “why I was the only one who ever tried to find you when you neglected lessons? I had a hard enough time trying to convince the masters to teach you without you refusing to be taught.”

“I ... I didn't know,” he apologized. “But, does this mean that Nereh was right?!?

“Perhaps he was, after a fashion. I pleaded with those in charge of selection that you were too young and unprepared. They responded that you would be too old the next time, given your” he face contorted, “human frailties, and your reluctance to attend classes had shown that I was simply being protective, and that you yourself thought yourself prepared.”

She frowned, “It wasn't until the day before, when I learned of the others selected that I truly suspected. Enough were of the correct age, but most were far older – some had attended the previous sending.”

“I'd intended.” she said, scoldingly, “to have given you a compass, map, and other things that would have protected you, but you chose that day to be absent once again from the city, and when I found you, I didn't have enough time to tell you how to use them, hide them, and why you had to do both. Although it appears,” she concluded proudly, “that you were more ready than any of us believed.”

Lorsalian smiled, and accepted the praise, but all that week as they continued his instruction in herbalism and mixing the powders she had shown to him, he pondered. He remembered all the times he had been merely lucky. He thought especially about that same day when that warrior had been stopped from dealing a blow only by a priest called into town by a child's hunger. He wondered if he had really been as ready as it seemed.

But thoughts of the past gave way to those of the future. Now that he knew why he had been sent away, would would he do? They had deprived him of a father, a normal life, and a name – he would have been “Lorsalian Don'hisie” if they would have merely accepted him. He'd considered confronting them, depriving them of respect or of life – but not for long. He'd thought of something far more lingering.

Merely exist. Become someone great. Allow stories of his deeds to slowly travel back to the elders who would either have to say that no-one of their clan had done these things, or to take credit when they knew they had had nothing to do with the success of Lorsalian Silvermist – he'd decided to use the human translation of Don'hisie.

When the time had come weeks later for him to return to the mainland, he calmly strode to the elfgate wearing his mail shirt under the same tunic (resown and repaired) that he had worn the last time he had gone through the gate; His father's flute carefully placed in his buckskin knapsack, along with several pouches of herbal mixes of his own and a drinking flagon he'd managed to buy from a tinker; he strode to a gate the twin of the one that had brought him here. Without stopping to look back, he re-entered it.

Return to “Stories”