Vanasar Ai'esti, The Pale Rider - Chapter Four

Share your original RP stories here.
Vandic
Sojourner

Vanasar Ai'esti, The Pale Rider - Chapter Four

Postby Vandic » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:22 am

Two nights later, Vanasar found himself seated at the head table of the monastery’s dining hall. The tale had already circulated through the brothers in the compound more than once, and it became more intricate with each retelling. A fierce wind that had tipped the wagon, breaking the yoke and sent the wagon tumbling into the ravine as the frightened horses galloped away, became the breath of a fierce dragon in one version. Vanasar himself was either an avatar of Ilmater, a ghost, or a golem of ice with the strength of ten men, depending on who told the tale. The brothers who had known him the longest simply smiled at these wild imaginings of the younger monks, while Kallanis often laughed outright when he heard that Vanasar, not Shola, had pulled the wagon, not just the bodies, from the ravine.

These embellishments simply caused Vanasar to blush. He was not one who reveled in glory, nor in praise. He had been given a charge, and he had fulfilled it as he was bound by his faith to do…nothing more.

It was not until he returned to the chapterhouse in Neverwinter and unpacked his traveling gear did Vanasar cry during this excursion, and only after he read the short note from the Kallanis, tucked away in a small pouch on his pack:

Vanasar,

I know you are not terribly fond of praise, so I will be brief. I have only two things I wish to tell you, and I know that you would have been embarrassed had you heard them in person.

Firstly, the young man whose life you saved has taken to calling you The Pale Rider, even after he was told your name. The other brothers and I find it fitting, and I have sent letters to the other chapterhouses to inform them of your new moniker. Wear it with pride.

Secondly, do not ever despair that you saved only one of three. Your strength and devotion to our god and protector are all that prevented all three from being lost.

As always, the invitation is open for you to visit whenever you would like. I will expect to see The Pale Rider at my door when spring arrives.

Your brother and friend,
Kallanis
Vandic wields a massive mithril axe of gazebo chopping.

Return to “Stories”