The Warder - Part II

Share your original RP stories here.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

The Warder - Part II

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:17 am

Blast this infernal candle! The light in this room is so distant a bloody drow could read in here. But unfortunately it is the only time I get to write, for my days are even now still filled with problems and adventure. And I thought I'd be able to rest once I hit this age! Well, Jenna advised me it would do rangers in the future good to have a good example to follow and model. But damned if I knew she was referring to my life! I've always thought of myself as average, much less modelable! But I imagine I should begin this bloody account, for it has even helped me to remember some of the good times, and bad, which dwindle in my memory. So what if I have shed a few tears laughing over a long-past jest or tears of sadness over the passing of a long-gone friend? Memories should be just that, and should be remembered and re-liven on those special times we need to feel someway.

But enough of this emotional babble... Of my childhood I will speak not of, for it is something which still disturbs me, and I do not wish others to share my bitterness. But it was rough, it was sad, and it was not love-containing. After two very special friends saved me from some trolls whilst I was still a young lad, I ventured north to the City of Splendors, Waterdeep. There is where my adventures and misadventures began, and who could have predicted what was to come. As early as my twentieth summer, I was leading merchant caravans to the southern posts, Baldur's Gate, Jenna's Wayhouse and other more obsure locations. The ranger training and inspiration I had recieved from my friends was being used, and I knew I could always find a place with the Merchant's Guild as a guide. After those caravans would arrive safely, always safely, I would explore the nearby surroundings, get to know fully this land I call my own. For whom could have imagined that the best locale to eat the finest meal would be so close to the immense city of the ogre lords? Exploring brings new knowledge and wisdom, as well as new dangers and rewards.

After a few years of working with the merchants, I was informed in Waterdeep that several of the acquaintances I had met along the way, mostly people travelling with the merchant caravans, had decided to get together and explore this vast land of mine as adventurers! Of course, it was an easy choice between guiding merchants and adventuring in dark caverns with danger at every corner and treasures awaiting those who overcome them. I'm in no way, nor have I ever been, greedy in any way, but I was young, and the glint of hope and fresh adventure had been introduced into my heart. I accepted their invitation, and after some brief planning we set out to explore! My those were the days! Walking the mystic lands of the Ffolk on the Moonshae Isles, contemplating life in the forests of Myranthea, being received by the royal courts of King Byron, Lord Piergeiron, Queen Alustriel and even the now long passed King of Volheru. We shared many adventurers together, many excitements and glory, and several downfalls and losses, many souls which I can only now talk to in dreams...

But those instances are what make a persons character, they develop your personality and give you strength, unless of course, you choose the easy path, the darker path to power, which in the end I have seen bring only loneliness and loss of your soul. Towards my twenty-and-fifvth summer our group of friends merged with another band of adventurers, calling ourselves the Legion of Chaos. We were young, and a name like that reflect our view of life and the events surrounding us. My dearest friends also joined the band, and together we formed a company like Faerun had never seen. It was around this time that my fellow rangers and 'acquaintances' looked upon my success with distorted eyes and hearts, and began their taunts of me. Names like darkone, blackheart, darkcloak, and even traitor were not uncommon to my ears. They believed I had turned to evil, because of our name and the reputation of some of the members we had. They disagreed with my views on life, and my way of headstrong action against evil, rather than half-hearted attempts to aid those who had fallen to it. But I accepted their taunt, for I had received even greater taunts in my home town of Zhentil Keep as a child, even by my own father, and took on the names that they called me, calling myself Adriorn Darkcloak. My friends laughed, but names as we all know tend to stick like halflings to honey, so it was not long before Adriorn Darkcloak was receiving invitations to celebrations in Waterdeep or from unfortunate adventurers needing aid in a blotched mission. Undermountain was quickly turned into my second home, mainly from the requests by relatives of lost adventurers down there who wanted to know what had happened to them. I never, nor shall I ever, turned down a call for help, for I never asked anyone for help when I was younger, but I know how some feel when they must resort to asking someone to assist them when they cannot do the job themselves.

After some time our company went their own ways, some argued over the future of the company, some wanted change, others retired to a more settled, boring in my opinion, life. But I remained true to my friends, those that had remained true to me. After some time to relax and think, we got together and formed a new company, a stronger one with more emphasis on the friendship aspect of a company than anything else. The Crimson Sigil we became and we soon bought a home for our guild near my hidden home in the forests east of Waterdeep. This I believe to be my most fondest of memories. All that transpired while the Sigil existed made up the character of my heart, while the Legion had made up my formal training of character. The love I developed for my friends and even my family climaxed during the time of the Sigil. Yes, I said my family. This was to be my most happiest of time, for no better reason! While exploring the northern tundras, the sounds of battle grew into my ears, and I could smell spilled blood nearby.

After some brief tracking, I found a boy barbarian, a barbarian boy could most likely lift an ogre, fighting some robed human, obviously magician. The boy was badly injured, almost ready to die, and the mage began his death chant. But I sense the aura of the battle, and I know evil when I see it. The mage quickly fell to my stilettos, but not before cursing my soul. I was aged many years, the hair in my own head growing greyish. But the boy was saved. After some time talking and adventuring, the boy became my own, for his clan had be slaughtered by the mage, and all his wished for was his downfall. Drenin's love for me I know, and still know, was great. His barbarian culture differed from mine, and he could not believe how much a father could love his son, even if not naturally his own. In later years, we would find his brother, Santren, who also I took under my wing, only he fancied mystic prayer and chants more than fighting. The both of them took on my name of Darkcloak, which brought, and still brings to me right now, great happiness of tears, that two people would do this. It was also during this time in my life that I recieved a daughter as well.

While spending some time with two married elven rangers in their homeland of Evermeet, I saved the life of a young half-elf girl from some kobolds. The girl's voice was like nothing I had ever heard! It was pure music, pure harmony. She too later took on my name, after I brought her to Waterdeep to begin her much desired training as a musician under a friend of mine who frequents taverns. She will always be my songchild in my heart.

Finally, I can write without the use of those infernal candles! The light of day shines bright in my tree-house, the sounds of the forest bringing joy to my ears. I realized after reading this once again when I woke up today that I had missed a few highlights here and there, but I leave those to the readers imagination to build together. I just received news via a message-sparrow that my services as a 'warder' were needed in the town of merchants, Scornubel, so I will continue this tomorrow if time permits. A new day brings new life, so I shall continue. Let me explain what I meant by warder, for this should provide a fitting conclusion to this summary. My time with the Sigil as an organized company has long ended, but my relationship with my friends has not. I even might travel along on some adventure with them, or some new company that wishes to explore this land of mine. Sjesko, the gnome forever, is still in my heart, as is Lothair the monk-priest, Menoch the sorcerer who is shunned by Waterdeep, Averyn the druid, a friend living close to me now in the forest, Yarkul the magician, Palinor, holy warrior of his god, Tessaire the priestess, good of heart, now married to Lothair, or Kurz as we call him, Aradune, my fellow brother of the forest and good friend, as well as Albrecht the ranger, Toddrick the priest, who was able to follow the dark path of Cyric and leave his power to return to see good, Kalth the wandering enchanter, who could summon elementals to aid him, Trilca the bard, a good friend of Dani's and mine, as well as Iliyana the Blue, a fellow minstrel, Kyto the cleric, an old, long gone friend, Kaela and Redigar, friends forever, and many more friends whom I could easily forget to mention in my old age have all been true to me as friends, and they will forever live in my hearts. But it is through them that I have recieved the most names I would never imagine. I have been called The Grey Ranger by Tessaire and Averyn due to my old age, the People's Ranger by most due to my immense interaction with the common folk of my land, for I could never deny them aid or respect as my equals, thoh the title I find humourous, and Ettercap has been the one that stuck longest it would appear, a jest formed due to an incident I had once in the Undermountain that I was cursed never to forget by my dear friends. It still makes me laugh. But the one I found to fansy the most, for it actually reaches heart's depth, not just exterior behavior is Warder of the Realms. It is more a title that a nickname, given to me by those I helped in the past, both friend and stranger, for my assistance to them and this land. My friends used this as my name in the guild, when names were not appropriate in conversation. My fellow people will often use this to call upon me to aid them, or just to share a drink and talk. It is the one that defined my heart, what I do in life, and what I shall never stop doing, protecting the people, animals, trees and things around me that make up this world of mine I so dearly love.

Well, I for one dislike extensive writing, and having to read huge volumes of books to find the answer I was looking for. So I will conclude for now. I can only hope I have brightened the readers day with this, perhaps given some insight or aid that will help in some way. But know this, my services are always free and always appreciated, and if thoust need a guide or teacher, tracker or retriever, or just a friend to converse with, I shall be here, as long as M'Lady permits me to live in this land of mine, to help thee...

Adriorn Darkcloak Year 246, Month of Hammer

Return to “Stories”