Danila Darkcloak - Songchild, Wench of Waterdeep

Share your original RP stories here.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Danila Darkcloak - Songchild, Wench of Waterdeep

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:24 am

The patrons in Selune's Smile this eve were very festive I must admit, they laughed, cried and danced to the songs and ballads I sang tonight specially well. I am exhausted though, for they did not stop until almost daybreak, and I stayed to help Luna clean the place up. Afterwards Luna and I chatted, she wanted to hear more about my life, and how an elf as myself had traveled all the way to the City of Splendors. She was also very curious about my father, well, the man I consider my father, not the elf in Evermeet.

My natural parents in Evermeet were Elven, with noble blood surprisingly. One has to question this 'noble' blood almost all elves state to own, and how 'noble' they really are. My father and mother spent most of their time in engagements with friends, or in noble parties or entertaining guests at our home. I was very young at the time, and all I have are brief memories and mental pictures of these parties and events. I was given a strict education in a prestigous school of the city, and learned about elven history and the elven world, but almost nothing about the rest of the world. The elves mostly label the 'world' as Evermeet, the rest, I do not know if they care about. Was I an unhappy child? Well, I had several friends at school, mostly snobish girls who most likely cared little for me, seeing me as a half-breed, not an elf. I do not know who my real parents were, or how I was born part human, but I do not care, I know who I am. I had my fun playing in the park of the city, by myself with the animals. I entertained them with my songs, for I believe they do enjoy music.

My 'adventure' began in the outskirts of the city, when my parents took my along with them on one of their evening horse rides. As it turned out, my parents in their careless behavior took us too far away from the cities limits, into kobold territory. We were ambushed by about a dozen of the little creatures, some using hunting dogs. This memory I do hold very clear and defined, for my parents were quickly taken by the kobolds, my mother mauled by two of the dogs. Is this something that would traumatize a child? Yes, unfortunately I think it did, my innocence was lost that day, and my view of the world and already low view of my own people. My father did the best he could, not knowing how to properly wield a dagger, and overwhelmed by the kobolds he soon went down as well. That is when I began to run. I could hear the footsteps and howls behind me, but I could not stop. My legs took control over me, I stared down and just ran, running straight into what I later learned was a human man, very tall and old compared to elves. He was wielding two swords, a totally black longsword and a falchion. He hugged me, and told me to sit. I was astonished, and surprisingly did what was told. He killed the kobolds by himself, the dogs scared into running away. He came back and picked me up onto his shoulders and ran. That night we camped in the forest, a part of it I had never seen, he said it was safe. He introduced himself as Adriorn Darkcloak, ranger of Mielikki.

He comforted me like no elf had ever done, but was worried, for he said I had not cried. His elven was horrible, but we talked most of the night. By morning, although he protested, my childish nature had convinced him to take me with him, for I had no life in the city anymore. We walked most of the forests and valleys of my land, for he came to explore my land, and see the beauty of it. Once, he showed me how to convince a doe I meant her no harm, and attract her to us so I could pet her. I remember being extremely happy those days, totally forgetting what had happened to my 'parents'. The nights were even better, for I was out in the countryside with this man I later grew to love as my own father, and what a father should be.

After initially hearing me sing back one day to a group of birds, and continue the harmony of our singing, he requested that I sing something every night, for he delighted in my voice and the songs I sang. He taught me much, about life, about people, and about the rest of the world I had been deprived of learning. He told me his father had tried to make him be something he wished not to be, and if I liked singing so much, and since I was so good at it, even so young, I should learn it, and learn well. I agreed, and he presented me the next day with a beautiful golden lyre. It was the first gift I had ever recieved that came from the heart, and I cried. My gift to him was my taking his last name as my own, for I did not want the elven name my parents had given me, I had left that life behind. He too cried.

After almost a year in my land, he told me he was leaving, he wanted to return to Faerun and his friends. He asked me if I wished to stay, or come with him, and learn in the City of Splendors, learn how to charm people with my voice, how to heal the wounded with the powers of song, and how to bring life and energy to those in battle with the magic of a war ballad. I could learn under a bard he knew well in Waterdeep, and spend time with him when I wanted. It would be hard, and take time, but he told me he would care for me, and love me as his own, forever. It was an easy choice...

Addendum.. Since the elves are extremely racist and full of themselves, my father could not pass through their city to the docks. With the help of a rogue my father knew, he was quickly changed to appear elven, and at night we took to the seas aboard the Moonmist, an elven merchant ship which frequented the Moonshae isles for trade. From there we boarded the Realms Master and took to Waterdeep. My life in Waterdeep from the day we arrived was fantastic; the sounds, aromas, and people of the city were so diverse my soul felt at peace, and at home. My father introduced me to a bard he knew, who began teaching me the arts and sounds I know today. His name will remain hidden, for he has many enemies throughout the Realms which would do him ill if they knew his whereabouts. My father would visit me regularly, and sit in at my nights singing at Selune's Smile, when I first began playing there as an apprentice to my teacher. My relationship with my father grew, I learned more and more about his past; about his adventures with the Knights of Light, his being asked later to join the Legion of Chaos as their first Ranger, and later his travels with the Crimson Sigil, and how his bonds with many of its members continued even after the band officially split up, and many went their own ways, never to be heard from again. He taught me what my teacher could not teach me: how to deal with the people of the realms, to treat them as my equals and care for them, especially the magics of nature. He taught me about this new land I was in, and the areas and landmarks of Faerun.

One night he showed me his hidden home in the forests east of the City of Splendors, a rather large treehouse in the outskirts of the forest. We spent the night watching the animals below, and he accompanied me singing his favorite fighting song, 'Davidaer and the Ettercap'. Upon my completion of my training, I remained as entertainer in the Smile, and began conversing with the patrons and usual crowd therein. I accompanied several caravans to Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter, and even once went as far as Icecrag Castle, a place I wish not to return to. I was hired to entertain the company, and even supply aid with my songs on several attacks from brigands and orcs, healing the wounded after battle. I greatly enjoyed this new found freedom, although I often missed my father, whom wished me good luck in my journeys, and advised me to remember all he, and my teacher, had taught me.

Upon my arrival, my father had his friends all come over to the Smile so they could meet me, and listen to my songs, thus introduced me to his many friends and adventuring companions (introducing me as his daughter) and I learned how truly they were friends, and they quickly became friends of mine as well, glad to listen to my voice. But knowing my father's humor, it was only expected his friends shared his sense of humor as well. They began calling me 'wench', especially his lady friends, due to the amount of male admirers that frequented the Smile to listen to me, at least thats what I hoped they came for. But they cared for me, and we shared many a night joking at the Smile, or as the years came, fighting the evil that my father had told me infested his lands. I was rewarded, at least I believe thats what occured, the day we took over the citadel of two evil magi and discovered in their cache of stolen treasures the lyre of the reknowned, and long dead, bard Amberyl. Her story, sad as it was, was taught to me by my teacher, and upon recieving this gift from my father's friends I gave thanks to the gods for being given this opportunity, which I know many people have worked hard for, and ended up recieving only death, or loneliness in the end.

My father, his friends, and my teacher will always be in my heart, and their struggles, achievements, and even humor will be in my songs and stories to come, for their tales should be shared with all. A song always has the magic in it to fill a person with joy, regardless of the situation they might be in. Perhaps these tales will help others when they need it most, and bring happiness and smiles to the faces of the needy.

Danila Darkcloak Songchild~

Return to “Stories”