Revenge

Share your original RP stories here.
Aedarton
Sojourner

Revenge

Postby Aedarton » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:20 pm

The Troll Hills beckoned like a black crown, while the white tents of the caravan seemed fragile, almost inconsequential against the forbidding blackness.
Aedarton sat quietly outside the light of the fire, listening to the Halfling, Gwyddy, regale the wagon drivers with tales of his exploits. They sat enthralled, occasionally gasping at the courage of the little magician. Of course, Gwyddy conveniently forgot to mention that Aedarton the Paladin and the elf sorcerer Aruk were involved in each occasion, usually at the forefront.
Aedarton was a big man, even without his armor. He moved with the lithe grace of a master swordsman. A blue cross adorned his right cheek, standing in stark contrast to the white jagged scar the ran the length of his left cheek. The perfect representation of the dichotomy of the warrior priest.
Aruk appeared suddenly beside him, but he did not startle Aedarton. He was used to sudden appearance of the Grey Elf. He could move like smoke across the water.
“G. gets more heroic each time he tells that story. Soon he will be fighting Tiamat with just a rusty spoon.” Aruk muttered.
“ It is his way my old friend. I wouldn’t recognize him as a humble Halfling.” Aedarton said with a grin.
Suddenly the air shimmered and a thin figure in a grey robe appeared out of a portal in the air.
“Dromil” Aruk said bounding toward him, enveloping him in a hug. Gwyddy was busy reassuring the wagon drivers that there was nothing to fear while Gwyddy was here. Aedarton walked forward, sheathing the black bladed knife in his boot.
“A dangerous way to travel Drom, so close to the Troll Hills.” Aedarton admonished, but he could still see that Dromil was still in the frozen throes of the relocation spell.
Suddenly Dromil smiled. “Hello Ruky, Aed., and the mighty warrior Gwyddy.”
“Aed is right Drom. What possessed you to relocate when we are so close to the Troll Hills? You could have been killed.” Aruk said, with emotion even for an Elf.
“We must talk privately. I bring ill tidings and it was worth the risk.”
“Come to my tent. I have fresh water from the well of Blue Stones. It will refresh you.” Aedarton said Aruk took Dromil’s arm and led him into the tent. Aedarton and Gwyddy followed.
Dromil sank into a chair and sipped the flagon of water. He turned his sightless eyes toward Aedarton. “They have found Krascar!”
All eyes turned to Aedarton. They watched as his face quickly changed frome anger to hatred to calmness, but eyes that showed death was on its way.
“Where?” Aedarton whispered.
“He is in Split Shield with around 40 of his cutthroats. They were spotted by a human boy two days ago.”
"Take me to Split Shield Dromil. We can travel to the Smoke Plane, then to Waterdeep." Aedarton said, buckling on sword and armor.
"Let me get my totem and spellbook." Aruk said turning for the door with Gwyddy.
"No, my friend." Aedarton said in elven."You must get the caravan safely through the Black Hills and on to Calimport. I will deal with Krascar."
"That is madness Aed." Gwyddy said. "We will come with you or wait till we get to Baldur's Gate and then we can all go."
"That will be too late. Please my friends, do as I ask. Time is valuable now. Dromil open a gate to the Smoke Plane and then relocate to near Waterdeep and open a gate to me from Waterdeep."
Dromil nodded and taking a book inscribed with holy runes began to chant. A multicolored shimmering portal appeared and Aedarton led Dromil into it and it closed behinfd them.
"He is crazy Aruk. He is crazy."
Aruk nodded. "He has unchained the demons inside of him. They will not be caged without death, either his or his enemies.

The five Goblins were gambling by a fire.
" I hate being a rear guard. He will not come. I hate duty." He hissed.
"Duty carries us on roads we do not wish to travel" Aedarton spoke quietly, stepping from the shadows.
The five goblins leapt to their feet grabbing their weapons. they peered around and then grinned, seeing that it was only one human warrior, obviously insane.
"Give us your weapons and armor and we will kill you quickly." a large goblin said in coarse Common.
Aedarton said nothing. He just reached up and loosened his cloak, letting it fall to the ground.
"Paladin scum!" hissed a smaller Goblin, recognizing the armor, and threw his spear..
Aedarton ducked and took three running steps, then dropped to the ground and rolled into the oncoming Goblins. He leapt to his feet as two Goblins fell over him and he slashed the face of one and disemboweled a second. The third drove a dagger towards his face and Aedarton swayed back and drove his own sword up beneath the helm into the goblin's throat. A spear glanced off Aedarton's golden leggings, numbing his leg for a moment. The last two goblins grinned hideously as they saw the hated knight stumble. They attacked at the same time furiously. Aedarton leapt up and kicked, his ice bear boot hitting the side of a Goblin's head. The other goblin's mace slammed into the side of Aedarton's head and the world faded as he lunged forward with his sword.
Aedarton woke to the sound that assured him that he had been consigned to Hell. Gwyddy was explaing how he had killed ten Goblins and two Trolls single handedly.
"Welcome back my friend." Aruk said in Elven, sitting next to a low fire. "Do not talk, you have lost a lot of blood. We got the caravan through the Black Hills, then got a moonwell from Moritheil to Split Shield, where we saw your sword proc 'Dispel Evil' as you ran the last Goblin through. We welled you back to our camp."
"Kraskar?"
"Of him we found no sign. Moritheil is at Split Shield still looking."
Aedarton sighed and drifted off to sleep, as Gwyddy explained the fear that overtook the Goblin army when he shouted Never fear Gwyddy is Here. Yes, Aedarton thought he had tasted Hell.

Return to “Stories”