The beginning for the Last Paladin of Light

Share your original RP stories here.
Areh
Sojourner

The beginning for the Last Paladin of Light

Postby Areh » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:15 am

This Story Takes Us Along The Journey That Is Arehs' Life

Many years ago as a young boy I found myself alone in the cold forests south of the
Human city of Waterdeep. How exactly I made my way there I beyond me. After the death of my
parents Alysia and Arah I found myself running from my home on the outskirts of Baulder's Gate.
I recall accepting a ride on a merchants cart supposedly on its way to the southern city of
Calimport. However I never made it there. After awaking in the forests south of Waterdeep I
had to learn survival skills very quickly. A rabbit here a squirrel there whatever i had to do
to keep myself fed until the day I stumbled upon the southern gates to the City of Splendors.
I entered the city though the massive gates never taking the time to blink keeping myself from
missing one thing in this wonderous place. After several hours of wandering around I decided
that if I were to stay in this city that I would have to find myself a safe place to sleep. So
I decided to build a contraption to sleep in just outside of the city. I had never built any
thing before it was a sight to see two massive leaves entrusted to me by a friendly treant I
met deeper into the forest and some thin rope I found tied to a bridge and lastly a couple
sticks I had found lying upon the ground in the forest. And I must say it was a fine place to
sleep I always had a beautiful view of the moon and the stars, though in the rain it was a task
not to drown. But during the day I had spent alot of time moving along the streets of Waterdeep
trying to learn everything I could about this city.

After a few weeks of living this way I had learned many things about Waterdeep and the
people who reside here. As more time passed and I grew a little I had become involved with a
troublsome group of children whos parents lived in the slums of Waterdeep. I had turned to
thievery to get my meals rather than hunting and I stole clothing when it was cold. Thinking
of it now it was a rather dark path I was moving towards. On a cool summer night when I was
nine years old I found myself at the steps of a small temple prepairing to break in for food and
anything warm to help prepair for a surely unforgiving winter. As I opened the wooden shudders
and made my way in I looked around and found this temple to be quite breathtaking. I moved into
the kitchen to search the pantry for any goods that I could take back with me, after searching
the kitchen I made my way into an open area opposite the prayer hall there was a door on the far
wall. I made my way to the door and opened it, jackpot, the coat closet. I took three coats
and made way for my exit. I moved swiftly and as I approached the window I came in through I
could see the moon in the sky as I begun to climb out when suddenly "THUMP" everything faded to
black.

What I guess was a few hours later I awoke to find myself lying on a pew with a pillow
tucked under my head. As I stood up I became dizzy and started to fall backwards as I fell I
felt a hand upon my back keeping me from falling all the way back. Startled I jumped and moved
foreward where I ran into the pew in which made me stumble into a seated position which was
where I had first seen him. He was a older man probably in his late forties he had blonde hair
with eyes a silverish blue color he was taller than me but still short and slender wearing a
pure white robe with sword that was bathed in a golden light in a half scabbard about his waist.
He said to me "did I startle you young one?" and I said to him "who are you?" in turn he said
"actually you broke into my temple who might you be?" "oh." i said "my name is Areh, and i only
let myself in because I was hungry." he smiled at me and said "were you planning to eat these
coats child?" I could'nt help but chuckle as I said "well no I was preparing for the coming cold
seasons" he said "ah, I see and what of me and my family? Were we to freeze?" "no" I said "I am
sorry sir I never thought about that." he said to me "I see, then perhaps I should'nt think
about it before I call the local militia guards to drag you off to jail?" I started to choke as
I thought of going to jail as I said "no, please don't. i'll make it up to you I promise!" he
then said to me the words that changed my life from that point on "Areh my child you will live
here at this temple with me, and I Tyrnal Tipedo shall teach you the way of the Knight's of the
Temple of Light." And at that point I smiled as a weight seemed to be lifted off my heart.

The following morning I awoke to the sounds of the temple bells signaling the people of
the time. I sprung from my bed as to see if the events that unfolded the night before were a
dream or reality. And in walked Tyrnal with a wide smile on his face, he approached me and
asked "are you ready child?" and I asked "ready? For what?" Tyrnal chuckled and said "your
training begins today Areh.". So from that day on every morning Tyrnal and I awoke and went for
a run from the temple grounds in Waterdeep all the way to the Turning Point and back, after that
we prepaired and ate a hardy breakfast to prepair ourselves for a long afternoon of gardening
and regular maintaince to the temple grounds. To bring the afternoon to a close we would eat
a small supper before a few hours of rigourous combat training and educational studies. He took
me in as though I was one of his children. I learned much from him, and I stayed there with him
in the temple for four years learning all he had to teach me. But then one night not long after
I had turned thirteen years old I was in my bed sound asleep until I heard a loud crash of what
sounded like breaking wood. So I sprung from my bed and grabbed my bedside dagger and rushed to
see what had happened. As I made my way into the prayer area of the temple I was stopped in my
tracks at the sight of a man dressed in mostly golden armor with a long white cape at his back
fighting Tyrnal. It was unbelieveable the way Tyrnal was moving the speed, the swordsmanship,
and Arehs' sword, that sword bathed in golden light just mezmorized me. The moved at eachother
swordfighting with such skill, such grace, such posture. I had never seen such a thing in my
life. After what seemed like an eternity the two came to a draw and the man spoke a strange
language to Areh and then Areh said these words "this temple will never give in to your
corruption Paladinstar." after saying that the man turned his back and stormed out of the
temple doors. I has approached Tyrnal to ask him what had happened and before I took a step
Tyrnal said to me "Areh just go back to bed child everything is fine." and not being prepared to
argue with him I went back to my room and tried to go back to sleep. The next morning I woke up
and went out to where I had always met with Tyrnal for our morning run, but he never came. I
went to Tyrnals' room to look for him and he wasent there either, so I searched throughout the
temple finally finding Tyrnal in the study where book lined the walls for what seemed like a
mile. "Areh come here." Tyrnal said. So I walked up to Tyrnal and he had several books spread
out across one of the tables. He said "Areh, it is time for me to teach you the last lesson to
be taught." and I asked him "Sir Tyrnal, what lesson is there left to teach me?" he said "your
last lesson will be to learn, understand, and harness the values and weaknesses of Valor, Honor,
Justice, and you must learn to be a Knight of Light to serve your neighbor, protect the weak,
and bring those in the darkness into the Light.".

After that I spent the next three years of my life learning the arts of the Priesthood of
Templar's. Tyrnal and his wife Meylia tought me the arts of healing and how to purge poisons
directly from the soul of a being. Tyrnal even showed me things that I thought were impossible
such as curing a beggar of his blindness. He even taught me how to create light out of nothing
and how to create holy water. But one of the two most important things he taught me in the arts
was the ability to lie to rest those whos tormented souls still wander this world. The other
was the ability to cleanse the souls of those who would bring evil into this world by speaking
the word of the Light Knight. The day Tyrnal told me that my last lesson would be taught the
following morning I was excited and kinda sad at the same time, because even with the knowledge
I had gained over the years I some how still had a thirst for more.

That evening after supper I went into my room and streched out to relax for a moment
right before we did our studies for the night a knock came upon the doors of the temple. Tyrnal
went towards the door to see who was there and suddenly the doors was blown away from its hinges
by what seems like a ball of fire. Tyrnal fell back to the ground and no sooner lept back to
his feet and drew his sword. That man who Tyrnal was fighting before has stormed in with a man
who appeared to be flying and the man who with him struck fear into my heart as his eyes began
glow a dull red piercing the night air. Tyrnal said to these men "You have one chance to leave
now before you both shall fall to the fury of my blade!". The man whos eyes were glowing in
turn said in a booming voice "Tyrnal, master of the Temple of Light, tonight I bring the agony
of the wicked upon your weak soul!". After stating those words the man's hands began to glow a
pale blue as what seemed like a hand grabbed on to Tyrnal and seemed as though it was pulling
the life directly from him. And in a boom of white light Tyrnal shouted "Holy Word" which broke
the mans grip upon him and knocked him back through a pew and into the floor. The man just lied
still as a board after that. Tyrnal stumbled to his feet and charged at the man in the long
white cape and before he struck the man Tyrnal stopped in his tracks as a man from out of the
shadows burried a dagger in Tyrnals' back before the man with the dagger fell to the ground he
said "pleease hellpp m..m...mee Lord Pe...p..p...ugh." The man in the white cape begun to grin
evily as he turn to Tyrnal and said "This is the fall of the Temple of Light holy knight, your
teachings and your family die with you.". All the sudden I found myself burning insdie with
what now I believe was rage from what i had just witnessed. I stepped from the shadows and I
shouted "you will leave now but not in the way you had hoped!". I rushed the man grabbing
Tyrnal's sword as I approached him, the sword began to glow a bright white color and almost
sounded as though it were singing, at that moment a gleaming white light exploded from the sword
I couldnt see a thing, I became dizzy and as the light started to fade I seen the man in the
white cloak stumbling out of the temple. The other two just lied there motionless. I fell to
my knee's in front of Tyrnal my vision still blurry and feeling dizzy I asked "Tyrnal, are you
ok?". He said to me "Areh, your last lesson my child is about that sword. Never use that Holy
Blade in anger. It has imbued in it the Power of Light and as long as your heart stays pure it
shall serve you until your last breath." I said to him with a tear in my eye "Tyrnal, your not
leaving me now are you?" and with his eyes getting heavy he said to me "Areh, I have lived a
life long enough for two men and have watched as you have grown into the man that you are now.
You must n.n..now venture beyond the gates of Waterdeep and l.l.learn the ways of this w..world.
Walk i.....in the path of light A..a.areh." I said to him "you cannot leave me!" his last words
to me were these "Areh, do not fear for me I will be with you in your heart. You gave to me a
gift Areh, the gift to know what it was like to have a son. And for that all I can say is that
I love you my Son." After hearing those words the tears poured from my eyes as water from a
flooded river. Then the dizziness took over and I passed out there next to the man who called
me Son.

I woke up to find myself under the care of the Preistesses of the Templar. I asked many
times what had happened to Tyrnal but I do not believe any of these Priests or Priestessess
knew for sure. I later found out that the man with the dagger had also killed Tyrnals' wife
which was the reason the Templar's found me because they came to see why Meylia had not returned
to thier temple for her daily prayers. After a couple days I left the Templar's in search of
truth. I wanted to know why those men were after Tyrnal and why they had to kill him. My
travels led me to many places. I even traveled to the grand dwarven city of Mithril Hall which
was where I learn the identity of the rogue who had acutally killed Tyrnal. His name was Avaril
Rok'tyren a dwarven outlaw rumored to have been responcible for the death of the first son of
the king of Mithril Hall. So I stayed in Mithril Hall for several months before learning that
Avaril had died a few weeks later from the wounds he sustained at the temple in Waterdeep. Upon
hearing this I pressed on knowing that I could gain no furthur information on the man in the
white cloak. I headed for the Barbarian home Griffon's Nest, the dwarves had told me of this
place. Supposedly quite a few shady characters roam the streets of Griffons Nest, but when I
arrived I was greeted with open arms from a massive barbarian by the name of Linsel Whitewolf
he took me into his home and somehow already knew of my mission, he said that Tyrnal had visited
him in his dreams and told him of me, now at the time I had only dabbled in the arts of magick
I just thought this Linsel was crazy. But I later learned after staying in Griffon's Nest
awhile that aparently Linsel and Tyrnal were old friends for many years. And after seeing the
shaman's of Griffon's Nest do thier magick's I began to realize that many things were possible.
They took me into thier circle on a warm night during some festivities and actually spoke with
the souls of many who had passed. Later that night Linsel took me into his home and told me
Tyrnal wished to speak with me. At first I thought to myself what is he talking about. But
then around the fire pit a light began to grow. I was filled with panic at first and then
overcome with excitement, I mean I was actually going to see Tyrnal again! What could be
better? I thought. So a form had appeared from within the fire I couldnt make out any
features only the shape. And then a voice entered my mind and said to me "Areh, hello my son"
my eyes started to well up, but then I remember Linsel was right beside me and I fought my
emotions back. I said aloud "Tyrnal, it is you!" he spoke directly into my mind it was amazing
he said to me "Now is the time child, you must strike at the heart of the man who claims title
of 'Paladinstar' he is shrouded in evil but wears the face of the Valorous upon him." He went
on to tell me "Your adventures will lead you deep into the south where you will meet an unlikley
ally, one whom knows of the 'Paladinstar' do not let his frail appearance frighten you.
Although this man is of dark origins he has been a friend to me for many many years as Linsel
was." his voice starting to get weaker and quieter seems to be fading as he said his last words
to me "You must find the servant of Vhaeraun for only he can help you find what it is you seek".
Linsel groaned at me "Eh, Vhaeraun.". I asked him what that was and the only words he said to
me were "damned elves". He then told me to get some rest so I headed to my bed where I did
nothing but think all night about the words Tyrnal and Linsel and spoken to me, and what all has
happened to me over the course of only a year.

The following morning I packed my things and loaded the saddle bags of my noble griffon
mount who I called 'Xarael'. That was one thing I learned from the barbarians was how to call
upon the might of a griffon companion to come with me in my travels lending me safe passage
through the lands upon its back. After I had loaded everything up me and Xarael headed off on
what was to be our longest journey ever. We ventured south approaching the Luskan Ferry where
we were greated by a hoarde of orcs. I drew my blade and climbed upon Xarael and the battle had
begun. I charge directly towards the largest orc and as I approached him a smaller orc lept out
in front of me, this telling me the large orc was thier leader, the small orc was crushed under
the charge of Xarael. The remining orcs backed away after witnessing the death of thier
companion. The large orc shouted something in a foreign tongue and the smaller orcs began to
move back in closer to me. But I could see it the fear in thier eyes, I made my way back on the
charge towards the orcish leader and this time his legions were not brave enough to leap in
front of Xarael during a charge and before the leader could draw his blade it was done. His
head sliced straight from his shoulders, the smaller orcs just looked on in horror, and began to
panic. I believe I killed two more orcs before they had all fled into the woods of Luksan. So
I made my way back towards the Luksan ferry where me and Xarael boarded and began to sail
towards the southern shore. After disembarking the ferry we made our way southward towards the
City of Splendor's a place I hadent seen in what felt like forever. We ventured along the High
Road meeting some very interesting people near the city of Neverwinter I would even call them
strange. They hunted everything the ate and if they were not going to eat it they left it be.
I heard someone call them the Ranger's of Neverwinter and the Forest Walker's. I am not sure
who they were I just know they were a very interesting people.

As I approached the northern gates to the city of Waterdeep I stopped by a woman her name
was Aeri. She told me that she was a priestess of the Templar's and that I was considered an
outlaw here in Waterdeep. I gasped in disbelief, she told me that if I were to move safely
through the city that I should remain quiet and avoid talking with anyone. To confused to ask
questions I just smiled and said "so be it.". So I did one better, knowing the forests here as
I did from living in and off of them as a young boy I just went around Waterdeep completely. As
I was coming to a clearing on the southern side of the walls of Waterdeep I started to hear a
stir in the tree's and to my surprise it was a tree, well a treant anyways. It was actually the
treant who I had met as a child who had trusted upon me two of its giant leaves so that I could
build a shelter to sleep under. But what surprised me most was when it spoke, it said "Welcome
back Areh, Tyrnal told me to expect you here." I asked it "how do you all know Tyrnal?" it then
it said to me "the forests know and see everything Areh. Tyrnal is an old friend of the Druid
Sage Yumara, and Yumara was the Druid that tended to my healing when I was set ablaze by a
cruel band of orcs. So you could say that I was a guide to Tyrnal many times through my forest.
And today I Gyasdriallet am to guide you though my forests to the far south so that you may move
undetected by the spies of Waterdeep." My eyes widened and I then asked "Why am I an outlaw of
Waterdeep? I have never wronged that city!" Gyasdriallet said to me "Many things are chaging
Areh there is much you must learn.". So we pressed on Gyasdriallet, Xarael, and I through the
southern forests stoping when Xarael or I grew tired to rest and so that Gyasdriallet could move
on scouting the forecoming area of the forests.

Finally we made our way to the southern tip of the forests and much to my surprise I was
looking at a sight that seemed so familair yet so different. I asked Gyasdriallet "That city.
What city is that Gyasdriallet?" He said to me "that Areh is the Port City, Baulder's Gate.".
Alas, I thought, I was home really home for the first time in more than ten years. Before
parting ways with Gyasdriallet he gave me a magical garb that allowed me to move through the
forests undetected. as long as his soul flourished in this world he said that I would be able to
move with the trees. So me and Xarael moved along heading for Baulder's Gate I was so ancious
to get there until I acutally got there. I walked into the city and there was alot of things
that had changed. There seemed to be mostly bars and alot of graffiti thoughout the city. I
also noticed most of the people looked very shady around the city now. So I made my way for the
Inn of Fallen Stars where I planned to stay for the night before asking around town about the
person I was searching for. Oddly enough as I made my way into the Inn I had already had a room
reserved for me I found this to be odd because I was so young when I left here how could anyone
know me? I thought. But I wasent about to turn away from a room as life on the road is a hard
one. So I headed up towards my room and let myself in only to find a package on the bed. The
package had the words to the Last Paladin of Light scribed upon it. And inside the package were
very descriptive directions to a place called Jenna's Wayhouse and a time to meet there the next
evening. So I spent the rest of that night going over everything that had happened to me since
that day in the temple. I decided to grab a book from the local paper goods shop and scribe my
entire story into it my hand hit the pages without error and scribed all the events that I had
experienced in my life I just keep writing like a Bard sining of lore at the local tavern until
I noticed the sun was starting to rise I then decided it was time for some rest before venturing
towards this Wayhouse. I woke as the sun started to set and realized I had slept a little bit
longer than I had hoped. I rushed over to my journal and wrote my plans for this day and then I
packed my things and headed out. When I arrived downstairs to turn in the key to my room I was
greeted by a man in a blue and green robe he leaned over towards me and said in a whisper
"Evening Last Paladin of Light." I turned to him and asked "why is everyone calling me that?" he
in turn said to me "they are looking for you Areh they know you are here and why you are here."
I said to him "Im sorry I dont know what your talking about." and then I tried to quietly leave
the Inn. As I stepped outside I heard a voice shout "there he is get him!" I didint even turn
to look I just climbed upon Xarael and started heading for the gates. Moving through side
streets hoping I didint get lost I made my way to the eastern gates and as I rode out of
Baulder's Gate I noticed a sign outside the gates that read:

"Five Thousand Platinum Reward for
any information leading to the
capture or whereabouts of the
Last Paladin of Light"

What did I do? I wondered its all I could think about as I headed off towards Jenna's
Wayhouse. I made it just in time to board and cross the Chionthar river on the ferry. Boarding
the ferry would buy me at least a little time to get away from the hoarde that was chasing me.
I finally made it here. Here I stand in front of a sign that reads:

"Jenna's Wayhouse"

What will happen to me when I enter? Will I meet the person that I traveled so far to
meet? And why is it that I seem to have been labeled the Last Paladin of Light? Well lets go
inside and find out!

Story written and recorded by
Areh the Last Paladin of Light (c)2005

Return to “Stories”