From the ashes of his past

Share your original RP stories here.
alendar
Sojourner

From the ashes of his past

Postby alendar » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:12 pm

A tortured scream pierced the night, followed by an evil laugh. "Not the same is it old man", the dark haired man sneered. The old man whimpered. The dark man raised his hand and chanted an ancient word of power. Streaks of light flowed from his fingers toward the old man. Another scream echoed off the walls of the small cottage's wall. "Power comes from knowledge... thats what you always said wasnt it, Old Man," the dark man glared. "Always keep your spellbooks close... was it?? The knowledge of the whereabouts of your spellbooks was the true power", he continued. "I grow bored, Clatrenous". With that the dark haied man flung his arms apart in a grand gesture and spoke a few words, the cottage erupted in flames, conjured from the pits of hell. The old man's flesh melted off his bones with a horrifing scream leaving only a charred skeleton. The dark man turned and left the burning cottage.
"Alendar? What happened? The screams? The flames?", a stout beared man questioned.
"Nothing escapes you my friend. My business is concluded here, Gar. He had nothing I needed and gave me what I have sought for many, many years," Alendar mused.
"Damn mages and your riddles and rhymes. Just say what ya mean." Garhm Graniteshield grumbled, "Like talking to a bard and not getting a song or a beer".
Alendar pulled a small red tome from his bag and sat down to memorize his spells. After a few moments, he stood and made a few gestures toward the sky. A shimmering portal of colors appeared in the air immediately in front of the two friends.
"Waterdeep or Viperstongue?" Alendar questioned looking at the dwarf.
"Krelg waters down his kegs, Waterdeep be my choice, lad", Gar chuckled as he jumped through the portal.
Alendar grab his tome and found a comfortable piece of dirt to rest. "Who do i know in Waterdeep?" he thought "Wonder if the necromancer is in the morgue?" He made a gesture and thought of the necromancer. The morgue in waterdeep and the necromancer appeared in the air infront of him. He smiled with inward pride, Alendar spoke the necromancers name and re-appeared standing next to him in waterdeep. He quickily made his way through the busy streets of the city, making his way toward the famous Dead Orc Inn on the street of silks. He walked into the common room of the inn and found a quiet table near the backwall. A few more gestures and another shimmering portal of colors appeared in the air. A few seconds later Gar stepped out of the portal grumbling about something or another. The two companions quietly emptied a few mugs of ale. Alendar stood and said his farewells, rented a room, and went to sleep.

*Blam*, *Blinding Pain*, the hard wooden floor. Not again, Not again.
"Worthless goblin!", Clatrenous shouted, kicking the small boy savagely. "Keep your spellbook close to you, stinking ogre's child", he yelled as he grabbed the child. He flung the young child across the room, bouncing him off the wall. "Knowledge is power, you slimy rat dropping", he raved.
"But Clatrenous, I justed layed it down for a moment," the young boy tried to explain.
"I justed layed it down for a moment", Clatrenous mocked him. Clatrenous waved his arm and several little missiles of light sped toward the boy exploding all about his body. The boy finally found a small crevace between a table and a bookcase to hide.
"I grow bored, Alendar, if you dont wish to learn dont waste my time or your parent's gold." Clatrenous sneered as he slammed the cottage door.
Alendar awoke and gasped for air, the nightmare still haunted him even though Clatrenous could not hurt him anymore. He wiped the sweat from his brow and sighed, "What do i have to do to rid myself of this damn memory?. In the morning, I shall remove the other component of the dream, maybe that will put it to rest."
With the morning came shouts of the town crier, "If your headed south beware of trolls!" Alendar had heard this to often and had become acustom to tuning him out. Packing up his belongings, Alendar set out to end the dream and start over in his new life.
The trip was uneventful, Alendar had spoke with several adventurers and found a safe target near his next stop. He was lucky enough to be withing a mile or so of the village in which he had been born. As he walked toward the house of his parents, he preformed some enchantments to insure his entrance would be easy and unnoticed. Invisible, Alendar crept into the house. His mother and father were still sleeping, so he made his way into their bedchamber. He pulled a chair away from the wall with little noise and sat and waited for them to wake. He let his invisibility spell fall and cleared his throat. His father woke first with a gasp, which woke his mother.
"Hello Father!," Alendar growled, "How is everything, Mother!"
"I'd advise you not to move or scream for help. If you answer my questions correctly and cause me no future harm, I shall do the same!" he said standing to emphasize his power. Neither of his parents moved, barely breathing out of terror, the had never seen the evil in Alendar's eyes before this day.
"Why Father? Why did you send a scared little boy away to face the beatings and torture of that monster?" Alendar roared.
"I didnt know, my god, I didnt know", his father exclaimed with tears cascading down his face.
"Why Mother, did you allow him to send me away? Your only son, explain Mother", Alendar erupted.
"We thought it was for the best", his mother cried.
Alendar's eyes narrowed and his face grew tight. He flung open his arms and the bedroom filled with the flames, the same flames that leveled the cottage. All that was left was two badly charred bodies. Alendar spoke an ancient word and disappeared. He reappeared a few miles north of the burning house and sat down.
He created a portal and stepped through. The elemental plane of smoke, he floated gently on the cushions of smoke. Occassionally, small smokey creatures would float by, sometimes they would stop and converse. But Alendar just floated.
Hours later, Alendar broke his trance. He figured he better find a target on the prime material plane. Smoke was relatively safe, but there are a few armies of giants that use it to attack each other, and its not a nice place to visit when that happens. After thinking of a few people he had met in his travels, he finally found a safe target in Viperstongue and slowly materialized next to the auction board.
"What brings ya to VT, lad?" a tall druid asked.
"I seek a room, a cot, and freedom", Alendar answered almost as if he was talking to noone.
"Freedom is in the forest, away from the others of our race, and near the Earthmother's Realms." the druid replied as if he had written an inscription on some trees.
"A dwarf once told me freedom was found at the bottom of a tankard of ale, who should I believe," Alendar grinned as he wandered toward the inn keeper.
It had been a long day and sleep would come quickly. Screams of terror, screams of pain, the smell of burning flesh, pleas of forgiveness, cries of death. Alendar standing on top of a pile of burnt corpses.
Alendar awoke the next morning refreshed. It was the first time in many years he had slept a full night. A new dawn, A new beginning, and a new life. Unlike the phoenix, Alendar didnt rise from his own ashes, but from the ash of his past. With his past in the graveyard and his future unwritten, he can get on living his life.
"Knowledge is not power," Alendar thought to himself," Power is using that knowledge to accomplish your goals, whatever they are."
Alendar -= The Black Ash of the Phoenix =-
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0612.html
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantIT ... ipt?SK=244
Hador group-says 'Inames I think you are the only person on the mud who shouldn't talk about Cofen sucking'

Return to “Stories”