Licire

Share your original RP stories here.
Lahgen
Sojourner

Licire

Postby Lahgen » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:07 am

(pronounced Lih-ser-rey)

The scent of sea salt permeated the sea cave underneath Baldur's Gate. In this coral laden grotto, the Umberlaunt priest, Dread Wavelord Laroyan waited. He sat upon his stone seat, basking in the presence of the sea beyond. A coral encrusted trident sat upon his lap, wrapped in fine sea green silk.

His lull was broken, as a figure approached up the steps of the cave. A tall, scarred woman with long, flowing black hair entered the threshold of the grotto, and as Laroyan approached, she knelt and payed him homage, kissing his turquoise ring of office. "Licire," he began, stroking the woman's hair as he gazed upon her, "your training as a warrior is nearly complete." Licire stood and smiled at him. "All because of your support, Dread Wavelord." Laroyan returned the smile, and led her towards the altar. "There are things of great import to your development that must be discussed...that is why you have been summoned here." Licire listened intently.

"First of all...I am very proud of you. You remind me so much of your father..." Licire's eyes widened. "You...knew my father?" The cleric nodded. "Yes...it was I who joined Nasrul Lacouria and your mother in the eyes of our Queen." Licire frowned slightly, as she remembered the father she so dearly loved. When he died at sea when she was only fourteen, she was heartbroken.

"He...he was..." she began, but Laroyan spoke. "Yes...your father fell overboard..." he finished, with an odd gleam in his eye. "My underpriest present made sacrifices on that voyage, to ensure Nasrul's place in Umberlee's watery domain." Licire looked down at the stony floor, lost in sorrow for her father.

"I know you loved him...but you know better than any of us. Our Queen can destroy the sandy fixtures upon the coast at Her leisure." The words stung her, but she made no reply. "As her most loyal of servants, we must conform ourselves to Her will...and it was Her will that you came to us."

He placed his hands to her cheeks, and brought her eyes level to his. "For you see, Licire...in order to ensure the blessing of the Sea Queen in his marriage to the water nymph, he swore a blood oath...that his first born daughter would belong totally to our Queen, devoted wholly to Her service. And it is now that your father's oath shall come to fulfilment..."

Licire sighed, and nodded. "I understand...what must I do?" Laroyan placed a hand on her shoulder, and pushed her down to her knees in front of the turquoise altar. With a tone of authority, he intoned, "You too may yet make an oath of blood this day...but first, Licire, I command you to pray for our Queen's blessing." Licire began to beseech Umberlee with common words, but was interrupted, as the cleric stated, "Pray it in the way you have heard me pray..."

His meaning was now clear to Licire. A few moments later, hesitantly, she gathered the courage to pray for the Sea Queen's empowerment. The fell words of the Abyssal tongue in which she heard Laroyan pray came with surprising ease. She remembered when she heard the same words fall from Laroyan's lips, as he touched his hands to her, to empower her for battle, and to heal the wounds from her training. And soon she felt the same exultation of spirit that came with her Queen's blessing. The scent of the sea grew stronger, her senses heightened. She knew that her Queen had laid Her hand upon her. Behind her, she felt Laroyan smile with triumph.

"Excellent...I have long felt that you would be the right one to follow this path." She looked up at him, questioning. "Our Queen has chosen you to follow the path of the Blackguard. Your training now is complete, Licire. Now you must follow your father's footsteps and swear in blood your eternal loyalty to our Queen..."

He unwrapped the trident, and placed the silk upon the altar. From a side table he gathered a basin of sea water and a three pronged knife. He laid the basin on the altar, as Licire watched him calmly. As she received from him the knife, she knew what had to be done. She winced as she took the knife, the blade piercing the flesh of her right palm. Blood flowed from the new wound freely, and she placed her dripping hand above the basin. She raised her eyes skyward and addressed her Queen.

"As my blood flows into Your blood, so shall the blood of Your enemies flow freely upon my blade. This I swear in Your name. I shall yield my will to Your priests, obeying them unquestioningly in all things. All of my children shall come to call upon You and serve You as I do." She looked up at Laroyan nervously, almost pleadingly. He smiled with pleasure at her hesitance, and simply nodded.

She turned back to the basin slowly, and as she placed her wounded hand into the reddened water, she bit her tongue so as not to cry out in agony. Licire cried out, failing to keep her voice even, "And I swear...by..the pain in my hand...I shall serve You...the best of all Your thralls until...You wash me into Your domain..."

Tears of pain ran down her cheeks, and she drew her hand from the basin. Red water dripped onto the grotto floor from her wounded hand. She held her hand and seethed quietly, as Laroyan poured from the basin onto the silk altar covering. The entire garment was soon completely saturated. He knelt down beside her, forced her wounded hand open, and as he spoke a prayer of healing, the agony faded slowly into nothing.

He took the silk from the altar, and affixed a turquoise clasp to two of the corners. Licire stretched her head up, giving him room to affix the cape to her. He then took the trident and touched it to her forehead, before handing it to her. "Rise, Licire" he commanded. She grabbed for a hold of the altar, and stood. "I await your command, Dread Wavelord," she addressed him, using his chosen title.

Laroyan smiled and turned away from her. "As you know, not all of our Queen's enemies are from the sea. Many plot to undermine Her, even in the mainland. They must know the Sea Queen's punishment, even if they are not close to the sea." Licire frowned, in anticipation of what she feared would come next. "You, Licire, must take the battle into the heart of the Realms itself."

She nearly cried aloud, aggrieved. The blood of her mother resisted strongly, for the sea was her home. Only in the Sea could she truly be at peace. Laroyan saw the conflict in her eyes. "I knew your mother as well, Licire. But you must know also that total obedience to the will of Umberlee will be your sole peace..." he said gently. Licire knew that he was right. She had just sworn her life to Her service. "Yes...Dread Wavelord. I shall go forth."

Laroyan nodded. "First...you must go to the docks and take a boat to the city of Scardale. Upon arrival, stop for nothing until the streets flow red with the blood of Her enemies. Make the survivors call upon the Sea Queen for mercy..."
Kesena OOC: 'i wish my daddy bought me power tools'
Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone
Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'

Rather than seeing "subpar race/class," see "challenge."

Return to “Stories”