First rp story I ever wrote

Share your original RP stories here.
Tasan
Sojourner

First rp story I ever wrote

Postby Tasan » Tue Jul 24, 2001 9:32 pm

This comes from a different MUD, and I haven't bothered to change the names in it. Mayhap some of you may see yourself and never know you were in a story.
-----------------------------------------------------

Looking back on it now I realize how the adventure changed me, how I'd grown from my experiences. The changes in my life could all be traced back to the beginning...

I looked up wearily from my table in a dark corner of a tavern in Kuprek, only to see two legends of the lands. Sitting on the right side of an oaken table, a cunning and crafty killer for hire. His darkened skin and ghostly white hair, as well as his dark clothing and hooded cowl, spoke of his heritage. A man that avoided the light, and was more frequently seen, or for that matter not seen at night. He was one of the last of the D'Mortrius clan, of noble blood to my race, Kyrek the Assassin. Oft times has been said that without a word, Kyrek could assemble a host of powerful allies to carry out his whim without so much as a whisper. His followers knew what to do instinctively, and that's the way Kyrek liked it. As a lad I had admired the way he carried himself, and the sheer power he commanded. I envied his position, but being an orphan myself, and lacking anything to tie me to any power, all I could do was dream. As I said before there were two "men" there. The other was quite a different story altogether. His name in our tongue was Felnor. A frightful being from the harsh Hylocar desert region, where the city of the Mesh is burrowed deep into the sands. This place the race known as the Thrikreen created to suit their hive-like lifestyle. Their appearance is that of a giant mantis, and though they seem fragile, one quickly determines that all Thrikreen are deadly. Possessing 4 arms, amazing dexterity and agility, as well as strength, these creatures made a living in legends. Felnor was one of the best known of these legends. As was told in those days, even the mentioning of his name was quite a disturbance to the common folk. Tales spoke of his ability to steal your purse and slit your throat, and be out of the city before your body hit the ground. He was stealthy beyond that of normal means, moving quickly through shadows, and seemingly invisible at times. This last comment has long been regarded as a form of magic, a device the Thrikreen are said to use with great skill, though none possess the magical knowledge to create their own. Many times have I heard tales of Felnor's ability to blend in with his surroundings, and though I have yet to witness this feat, I do not hope to soon. I fear that if I did, it would be the last thing I ever saw.

These two legends of the realms sat quietly conversing at a small oaken table surrounded by extinguished braziers. They seemed quite uncaring for the goings on in the rest of the tavern, and I longed to be in the same situation. A rather rowdy bunch of dwarves has begun to get out of hand at the bar and were creating quite a stir among the other patrons. I looked away for a moment, to watch the uproar, when a rude waiter snapped at me and demanded I pay for my ale. I grudgingly acknowledged him, and kindly dropped 15 gold coins on the table. An outrageous price for a bitter and overwhelmingly bad ale, but I was too much in awe to care. The waiter quickly snatched up the coins, and swiftly left to collect another tab.

I stood up intent on retiring for the coming morning, as it was getting quite close to dawn, and I cannot stand the accursed sun. I headed quietly to the northern exit, and reached for the door handle... but missed it, and had to catch myself before I fell. Someone else had opened the door, and an eerie shadow loomed in the predawn fog before me. The fog swirled a bit as a figure pierced the bottom of the thick blanket, and strode confidently into the room. A demure and very beautiful pixie strutted her way past me, her robes glimmering as she walked. I stared longingly, knowing full well it was Kyntara. The tales of her prowess at bargaining were well known, as she wielded beauty and power with unparalleled skill and grace. I hadn't time to dawdle though, the first rays of the sun were now making their way through the fog and into the tavern. I gave Kyntara one last glance, watching as she sat down next to Kyrek, before turning and strolling quickly out the oaken door.

I wound my way through the city, avoiding the major streets and keeping to the alleyways. I was a lonely person, but it had always seemed to work better that way. Several of my good friends have never been heard from again after journeying with me. Like a banshee screaming in the night, my friendship seemed to lead Death to his next victim, and too often the closer I got to someone, all the more quickly were they erased from the world. I now avoid most people, choosing to brood in my own thoughts rather than drag another person to the brink and watch them leave the world. I found my way to Torg avenue and quietly slipped into my upstairs apartment, being careful not to wake the Ogre mortician. He was a massive beast, and twice I had come home in high spirits and woken him. He swung several times at me, but I had narrowly escaped both times and quickly fled to my apartment. I didn't much feel like dealing with him this morning, and I'm sure my small frame would have thanked me.

As I opened the door to my apartment I heard light footsteps creeping towards me. Being a Drow, I was quick to guard against an assault. I ducked and rolled to the side, before standing and uttering a small spell of confusion. Against the weaker minded fools of the world, such a spell was a blessing, as it allowed one to walk around unmolested, unfortunately many powers exist in the world that can see right through such a spell, and not many of them are quick to welcome strangers. I crept closer to my stunned assailant, and realized that he was garbed as a Drow. I knew this one, a mere child compared to my years, but a threat nonetheless. His name was Mortag, and he was an aspiring assassin, following in the footsteps of Kyrek. I stepped quickly behind him, and jabbed a straightened finger into his spine. I heard him suck in his breath, before I whispered, "You're dead."

He dropped two dark daggers, spun around and bowed low. I canceled my spell, and faded slowly back into his reality.

"Mortag you fool, you're lucky I didn't kill you this time." I spoke harshly to my friend only because he had startled me. His skills of stealth were almost complete; it had been awhile since I had seen him.

"My apologies my dear Hobnor. I was only practicing my art. I have come to repay part of my debt." With this he reached into a concealed pocket, and promptly dropped a bag at my feet. I reached for the bag, forgetting him for the moment, an unwise decision. He quickly rolled backwards, picked his daggers off the floor, and hurled them at my outstretched wrist. The daggers traced a path across either side of my wrist, ensnaring it against the floor. The wounds bled a little, and as I looked to where he'd been I realized he was gone. I looked back to my wrist only to find scratches where the daggers had been. "Curse you Mortag! The next time will be your last!"

I knelt down and wept then. I felt so alone; even my friends were not to be completely trusted. I grabbed the bag and stumbled into my room, slamming the door behind me. I stormed to the window, before standing to watch the last few seconds of night fade away. I closed the shutters after a few seconds, and pulled the dark shade that covered the entire window. As an afterthought I cast a gloom spell of darkness, before climbing slowly into bed and drifting off into a deep slumber.

I awoke late in the afternoon, and after making a check on my room, headed out the door with my gold tucked safely within my belt. I pulled my cowl far over my head to shade myself from the sun, and from onlookers. I exited the building, and crept quietly through the long shadows of the alleyway. I walked right to the edge of the shadows at City Center, intent on resting a bit, and listening to the day's news. People from all over the lands gathered here, as a meeting place, and to read messages posted at the fountain. Several times during the next few hours, as I quietly memorized some spells, I saw a small bands of people join together and head off in one of the cardinal directions and out through the city gates to who knows where. I also heard the bloodcurdling cries of pain from the secluded alleyways, and watched as guards rushed through the area and towards the sounds. They always seemed to hold their heads low as they returned to their posts, and not once was anyone brought to justice. It was barely dusk by the time I'd finished my studying. I stood up and stretched before walking quickly past the fountain and off to the east. I turned north into a small building, the one room post office of Kuprek. The postal clerk was a nice fellow, and knew me by sight. I hadn't spoken a word to him, but he quickly vanished before I reached the counter, and returned even more quickly with a letter. He handed me the letter and wished me a good night, before returning to sorting his mail carts. I walked out the door, and into the alleyway to read the letter. It was a queer color, and I saw no marks of any kind to indicate whom it was from. I was unaccustomed to receiving, and this letter intrigued me. I opened it hurriedly, and ripped the letter contained inside. I cast a mending spell on the paper, restoring it and cursed myself for being hasty. I opened the letter and gaped noticeably. The letter was written in Drow, and in purple. I knew it was special.

Dear Mr. De'Vir,

Your presence is requested at sundown. Go to Fexyr Street and Paladin
Lane, follow Paladin Lane east for two blocks. Turn north and enter the
dilapidated building to the left. It is a large warehouse. Go up the stairs,
and await further instructions. Be prompt, as I loathe waiting...

Yours in Shadow and Blood,
Kyrek D'Mortrius

I was stunned. I had been summoned by perhaps the most well known Drow in existence. I quickly glanced up and saw I had but a few precious moments to make my way to Fexyr Street. I called upon a fire spell to destroy the evidence, dropping the burning paper to the ground as I scurried off towards my destination. I ran on the main streets now, having no time for stealth. I found the building and quickly ran up the rickety stairway. As I crested the final stair, my foot faltered and I was thrown to my hands and knees. Humiliated, I clambered back to my feet with my eyes closed, not daring to look around. I slowly opened my eyes, and stared into the inky darkness. My sight was keen in the dark however, a trait the Drow used most successfully. I glanced around and noticed a small fire burning some distance away in a corner near the back of the warehouse. I walked towards the fire, observing the figures seated around its glow. I could see several eyes cast in my direction, and hurried whispers as I approached. I blushed then, and made my way closer to the fire. When I had almost come to the circle, a creature to the left stood and grabbed me by the shoulders, hoisting me far into the air, and up to meet his gaze. "What rat are you that makes such a noise!?" the creature seemed somewhat disturbed, and I wasn't sure what to do. I pondered the question before answering, "A rat which needs not silence to sneak upon his victims."
With that, I again uttered the invisibility spell, which had concealed me from Mortag's eyes. The creature stared at me, and did not let go.

"Make for a good snack you would! Parlor magicks will not save you here." At this the entire grouped roared with laughter, save a hunched over figure at the center of the back of the circle. I blushed again, my embarrassment only serving to make them howl more. Then the figure stood and flung his cloak back. The others abruptly stopped laughing, and I followed their gazes to where the cloak was falling through the air. The figure beneath the cloak was gone, and I quickly scanned the room. A small yelp came out of the brute holding me, and I was promptly dropped to the floor, bruising my tailbone to add to my bruised ego. I looked back towards the creature and saw the figure behind him. A dagger flashed and was quickly put away, and then the figure was standing before me. He looked at me long, perhaps pondering my existance before extending his hand to me. I took it in my own, and felt a strange warmth flow through me. He helped me to my feet, and then threw something towards the dwindling fire. The object burst into flame, and emitted a dark light that seemed to brighten the room, yet not as light does. I saw much clearer the shapes of the figures gathered before me. I looked from face to face, at last resting my eyes again upon the figure before me. His face was old and young at the same time, youthful and tired. His face was fair, yet heavy weighed the years upon his eyes. I knew it to be the face of Kyrek, and he looked gravely upon me. He studied my movements and expressions. For some reason I smiled then, and he did as well before clapping me on the shoulder and patting my head.

"Welcome, Hobnor De'vir. Our newest friend, and perhaps the youngest. A powerful sorcerer resides within this small frame, and as well you should all be afraid, as he is of my likeness. Show him the respect you show me, or risk the chance of him destroying you before I have the chance." With this he grinned at me, and I appreciated the compliments, though I doubted that any thought his words true. He motioned for me to sit, and pointed to a seat next to... well a horse. At least that was my first impression. I sat down, and again looked only to see two eyes stare right back at me. Half-man, and half-horse was he, a Centaur as they were called. I'd never before seen one, and I was taken aback at the strange combination. I looked at his face, and saw perhaps the most sorrow filled eyes I'd ever seen. He wore no armor, and I could see no weapons upon him, but he looked on me wisely and I felt a profound intelligence within that gaze. Satisfied with him, I turned my head to the other side, to see a small gnomish fellow. Bright blue eyes peered back at me, and a jolly smile was painted on his face. I looked at his multi-colored robe, and noticed a small sign that quite simply stated, 'No licking, please!'. I was somewhat baffled by this, and he chuckled as he noticed my surprise. Little did I know then that we would become fast friends, and share our knowledge with each other. He introduced himself as Blimm, and told me that the Centaur was Wynter.

I gasped as I heard that name. Wynter was a name out of the oldest legends of the realms. Known as the Dawnbringer, his deeds were known throughout Aelora, and even if they were embellished, the listener would not scoff at the tales. It was said he was as old as days themselves, and that within his saddened soul beat the warmest heart of pure love for the land that could ever exist. I sat there in utter bliss, surrounded by the great beings of my time, recounting old tales told, and then promptly fell asleep.

I was awakened by a gentle touch to my forehead. A small, soft hand was caressing my brow slowly and deliberately. I groggily opened my eyes to stare wide eyed at a most beautiful pixie girl. She giggled at me and flew away to sit on Wynter's shoulder. I looked around and blushed yet again in embarrassment. Kyrek began to speak then in a calm yet demanding voice.

"Hobnor, I've summoned you here to join my legion of fighters. Among us are gathered Drow like you and I and Pixies like Valiana." With this, the girl on Wynter's shoulder stood and curtseyed gracefully before sitting back down and giggling again. "Also here to represent the Centaurs is Wynter, the Dawnbringer." With this Wynter nodded his head solemnly in my direction. I will forever swear that in that instant, I saw the faintest smile cross his lips before he returned to his stern gaze. "Humans are represented here by the monk named Masami." Kyrek pointed to a medium sized, bald man. I knew monks to be quite skilled in the arts of unarmed combat, and guessed that Masami was indeed a storm waiting to happen. Kyrek paused for a moment considering something before continuing the introductions. "The light elves have blessed us with Larissa." Larissa smiled grandly, and reached her arms out in the sign of welcome. "Lastly, the most deadly Thrikreen..." Kyrek trailed off, pointing to a large figure leaning against a post, concealed in shadow. The figure stepped forward into the light, 4 blades glinting quietly in the fire-light. His eyes peered at me, and his mandibles clicked audibly. His antennae searched the air, sweeping around his elongated head. A very shiny piece of metal was strapped around his stomach. "This is Sarbadon, Master Warrior of the Thrikreen." Sarbadon leered at me, and jumped the 20 feet separating us. He towered over me, glaring down silently. I greeted his glare with a equal and balanced smile, thus catching him off guard. He broke his stare, and eased his stance, quickly storing his blades in scabbards strapped to his back. I had won the first challenge, but Sarbadon would continue to test me anytime we had contact. I don't know if he respected me, or if he wanted me dead, but I always met his gaze with a friendly smile. His favorite test was to send a blade quietly slicing through the air towards my neck, which I always met with no resistance. The blade would stop within a hair's breadth of my neck, and the kreen would quickly take his weapon back. My reaction seemed to unnerve him, but always after he would look at me with... well as close a smile as a kreen could muster. To this day, I don't know if he plans on ever following through, but I wish him strike true when he does...

Twyl
Last edited by Tasan on Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Turos
Sojourner

Postby Turos » Wed Jul 25, 2001 1:06 am

Good to see names of old friends from the past. I really hated to see LH go, but life goes on. Haven't really been mudding much lately, but I still try to keep an eye on the forums. Never knew that you were Hobs there Twyl. Anyway, be safe and best wishes to all you guys. During my days playing LH I came to know alot of the folks that you mention in the story. For that matter, myself, Val, Kyrek, and Wynter were all in the same guild.

Great story too btw, really nice job for your first story. Maybe one day I can get over the nasty mud burnout that I had a couple years ago and return to rekindle some old friendships. Until that day I will remain fond of old friends and treasure the time that we spent together.

Kyrn/Gru/Grox/Kazryn

[This message has been edited by Turos (edited 07-24-2001).]
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed Jul 25, 2001 4:45 am

Kaz!,

Good to hear from you man. In all truth, you were on the list of people to be added into the next section of the story. In all I had about 30 names that I was going to do a little background on, and incorporate into the story.

Stanas, Flozzk, Quizzipple, Felnor, Blimm, Qwizx, Sentri, Pompey, Samah, Aelesia, Panzella, Mincet, Zambezi, Kujon, Kyrek, Sarbadon, Wynter, Valiana, Kyntara, Larissa, Lugonn, Lariae, Dakkon, Sordan, Illiana, Kraktara, Xix, Flaira, Kilithium(gruthk who some know as Alby here), Bogak, Masami... I'll always remember all the great times we had.

Twyl

[This message has been edited by Tasan (edited 07-25-2001).]
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:30 am

Bump by request.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Kyrend
Sojourner

Postby Kyrend » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:04 am

Goddamn, I love how you make me sound like such a badass. Those were the days weren't they? What I wouldn't do to go back and scrap up some oddball group to do Aug or something like that. I always had the must messed up groups, but that made it more fun didn't it. Having to work 2-3x as hard actually make it 10x more fun.

The messed up arena fights. Bumming around Kuprek. Bitching about how lazy the coder (holy shit, I forgot his name) was.

It's awesome to see Kazi saying hello there, it's been what? 5-6 years now? Too long. I would love to talk with some of the old guys again, see how life is going for them. Larissa, Flaira, Stanus, all them.

Lastly, perhaps most of all, I miss my goddamn herrings. Being the god of Good Magic and Herrings had it perks. ;)

Return to “Stories”