The Riddle-ling Song

Share your original RP stories here.
Gurns
Sojourner

The Riddle-ling Song

Postby Gurns » Wed Aug 22, 2001 4:42 pm

On one occasion, I showed up to play for a party, and discovered to my horror that it was a party for children! Yes, yes, I realize I was once a child myself, and that many people adore the little tykes, but for me, the only objection I have to the old saying "Children should be seen and not heard" is the "children should be seen" part. Well, perhaps I exaggerate my sentiments a bit: I have found a few particular children unobjectionable. But this was a whole herd of them! Suffice it to say, I was surprised.

Still, a bard must never be completely unprepared for any audience. Fortunately for me, these were elven children, so I started with Serea's "To Be an Elf", doing all the voices. I entertained them with parts of "The Waterdeep Ram". The cleaner parts. I would have sung some of the other lyrics, it being most entertaining for children of a young-ish age to hear and say "naughty" words, but there were parents in the room, and 'tis the parents who pay the bard. Then I told them a few Nokie stories. But after a little more of this and that, I was out of suitable material.

In desperation, I declared I would, as my final number, teach them all a song they hadn't heard before. Remembering a simple riddle about halflings, I proceeded to "teach" them the song, line by line. Fortunately, I repeated each line several times "so they could learn it", which gave me time to compose the next line. With all the repetition of lines and then of verses, this filled up a considerable time, so when I was finished with this song, I was able to get my pay and make my escape. Fortunately, the audience, both parents and children, seemed to enjoy it, and so I even got a nice tip.

I reworked the song later, to fix a few forced phrases that were in the original, resulting in the work you see here. I keep it in my repertoire, should I find myself in a similar dangerous situation in the future!

The Riddle-ling Song
(for small children and the slow of wit)

It's round, it's on your finger, it's a ring, a ring, a ring.
You sit in it, get pushed, and then you swing, a-swing, a-swing.
An ugly monster threatens you! A Thing! A Thing! A Thing!
But, What? In the world. Is a ling, a ling, a ling?
What? In the world. Is a ling, a ling, a ling?

A little dent in armor is a ding, a ding, a ding.
A bird will fly with mighty strokes of wing, of wing, of wing.
A running thief with money pouch will sound ch-ching, ch-ching.
But, What? In the world. Is a ling, a ling, a ling?

You know this is a riddle song I sing, I sing, I sing.
Just concentrate! Into your mind, the answer's sure to spring.
And when you guess the answer, we will crown you Riddle King!
So, What? In the world. Is a ling, a ling, a ling?

Question: What is a "ling"?
Answer: Two half "ling"s.

[This message has been edited by Gurns (edited 08-22-2001).]
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Thu Aug 23, 2001 3:07 pm

I
LOVE
IT

more more more! very creative gurns

Wobb

Return to “Stories”