ShadowStalker - Treachery's Poisoned Blade (Part II)

Share your original RP stories here.
Nilan
Sojourner

ShadowStalker - Treachery's Poisoned Blade (Part II)

Postby Nilan » Sat Aug 18, 2001 8:44 pm

The next night found Nilan once again at his shadowed table of the Flaming Dragon Tavern. He waited patiently knowing that his mark would eventually find his way here after the night's work. Torchlight flickered off the walls, and Nilan carefully scanned the crowd. A few guards were present, but none of Lord Piergieron's elite force had arrived. He waved a serving girl over to his table and ordered another tankard of ale. Soon…it won't be long now, he thought to himself. Nilan leaned back into his chair sinking deeper within the shadows. The serving girl arrived bringing him ale and a tray of cheese and honeycakes. Nodding, he tossed the girl a few coppers. She thanked him and then hurried off to her other, more important tables. Loud cheers erupted from a table nearest to the bar. Several armed men, warriors or soldiers by the look of them, laughed heartily. Nilan eyed the men with interest.

The doors to the Tavern flung open and loud calls of greeting rose up from many of the tables, tearing Nilan from his thoughts. Nilan eyed the door as Commander Garthus led his entourage toward his usual table within the center of the tavern. Serving girls immediately brought the men mugs of ale and fine sweetbreads, cheese, and dried beef. A wicked grin found its way on Nilan's face and he fingered his stiletto in anticipation of the impending kill. Tonight, my House shall know victory like no other, Nilan told himself. Anger flashed in his mind. "To hell with you Kang," he whispered softly. Nilan's fingers closed slowly around the stiletto's blade. The cold steel felt comforting, and Nilan, in his rage, tightened his grip around the slender blade. So consumed by his anger, he didn't feel the blade cut into his flesh. Blood oozed from his slashed hand, but Nilan seemed oblivious to the pain.

"Sir, another ale for you perhaps?" a timid voice inquired drawing Nilan from his dark thoughts.

Nilan grimaced, glancing down at the blood that dripped from his slashed fingers. "No, no ale," Nilan winced, squeezing his hand into a fist. "Leave me."

The girl cast him a concerned look, but hurried away without giving a second glance in the assassin's direction. Nilan clenched his fist, slowly stemming the blood that flowed into the palm of his hand. He sank back further into the shadows, carefully planning the dark deed that would soon follow.

Marcus crept along the rooftops across from the Flaming Dragon Tavern. Finding a shadowed niche between two buildings, Marcus crouched low. His little game of cat and mouse had just begun. He removed a wickedly curved dagger from his waist sheath and inspected the blade. As black as night so as not to reflect the torchlight of the city, the blade was incredibly sharp. A wicked hook ran along one side of the deadly steel. Marcus grinned malevolently as he envisioned tearing Nilan's heart out. Now he waited.

Hours had passed and slowly the patrons of the Flaming Dragon filtered out of the tavern toward their homes. Nilan watched in anticipation as Commander Garthus rose from his seat at the head of the table.

"Well men, it's about that time o' night," he smiled. "I must take my leave."

As the guards exchanged handshakes and a few last minute toasts, Nilan crept silently past the center table and headed for the door. His black cloak was pulled tightly around him and Nilan expertly allowed himself to blend into the darkness before exiting into the brisk night air. Unnoticed by all, Nilan flitted through the shadows, unaware that a shady figure stalked his every move.

Within moments Commander Garthus strode out of the tavern, his sword swinging loosely in the scabbard fastened to his waist belt. He whistled the tune of a love song as he headed in the direction of the center of Waterdeep. Nilan quickened the pace. He knew he had to make the kill before the elite guard entered that part of the city. Adrenaline flowed through his body. His muscles tensed and his fingers closed around the hilt of his stiletto. Nilan slowly pulled the blade from its sheath. Cautiously, he followed the man further into the darkened alley that would empty onto the main street of Waterdeep. His eyes scanned the surrounding area. Finding no one, Nilan rapidly and silently closed the distance. This is it, Nilan thought to himself. I have to strike now. Nilan felt his heart beating rapidly in his chest. His fingers were warm and slick with sweat and blood. Without a sound, he triggered the catch on his stiletto. A thick black substance slowly filled the grove of the dark blade. Nilan turned the blade over in his hand. A wicked grin flashed across his face. Like a cat, Nilan stalked the man, each step placing him closer and closer to his target. Within seconds Nilan was on him.

Commander Garthus sensed movement behind him and whirled abruptly, his gauntlet clad hand reaching for the sword that hung at his waist. The fine blade flashed clumsily out of its scabbard as he realized death was upon him. Nilan struck, plunging the stiletto up to its hilt into the man's chest, piercing his heart. Blood erupted from the wound and the Commander's cry poured from his lips in a pitiful gurgle. The dying man managed a single slash before the poison took hold of him. Nilan tried to side step the blade but came up short. The holy blade flashed blinding white light as it slashed across the assassin's chest. Nilan screamed in agony his as he felt his soul being devoured by the goodly blade. Light exploded and Nilan found himself on his knees, blinded and in intense pain. It felt as if his very essence was being ripped from him. Nilan clutched at his chest, his flesh had been seared by the blade's godly power. He heard the sound of metal changing to the street and tired his best to focus on anything at all. Bloody hands suddenly grabbed his shoulder where the blade had horribly burned his flesh. Nilan howled in pain, desperately trying to pull away from the dying Paladin. Nilan saw the man's eyes go wide with fear as his lips mouthed a single word before death silenced him forever…."Drow!!…"

Marcus ran deftly along the rooftops, placing himself directly above the injured assassin. He watched the spectacle unfold with keen interest. Marcus had his prey where he wanted him. He marveled at how easy the kill was going to be. Tightening his grip on his wickedly curved dagger, Marcus leapt from the rooftop.

Nilan sensed the movement above him, but it was too late. He instinctively dropped into a roll to his left. The assassin's blade sank deep into the back of his shoulder. Nilan screamed in pain but continued his roll, retrieving his bloody stiletto that lay on the ground beside the dead paladin. The move tore the dagger free of the assassin's grip, twisting the curved blade and sinking it deeper into Nilan's flesh. Nilan staggered to his feet, his right arm hung useless at his side. Wincing, he turned to face his attacker.

"What the…" Marcus stammered in shock at the form before him. "You're a bloody drow!!!!"

Nilan grimaced in agony, his human form no longer protected him. Nilan staggered backwards trying to find the shadows of the alley way in which he had come. Marcus was on him instantly. Already another dagger had replaced the one that jutted out of Nilan's shoulder. Nilan triggered the catch on his stiletto causing poison to once again fill the groove in the blade. Sparks flew as the two blades collided. Nilan drew his stiletto up and over, forcing the assassin's blade downward. He stepped into the parry, closing the distance between them and trapping the assassin's dagger under his own. Grimacing, he fought to drive his stiletto into the killer's stomach. Marcus dropped low and kicked out with his foot catching the back of Nilan's left knee. The drow twisted and went down heavily, his stiletto flew from his grasp and skittered along the roadway. Marcus drove his boot into the sprawled elf's side. Groaning, Nilan rolled to his left. As quick as a cat, he was back on his feet. Marcus pressed the attack, and Nilan barely dodged a slash aimed at his midsection.

"Give it up, filthy dog." Marcus sneered, panting heavily as he slashed again and again at the wounded drow assassin before him. "Die, damn you!!!!" Marcus groaned.

Nilan dodged the blows and fingered his wrist dagger sheath. A thin throwing dagger found its way into the palm of his hand. Nilan clenched his teeth biting back the pain and let the blade fly. The dagger buried itself deep into Marcus's thigh. Howling in agony, Marcus staggered backwards. Nilan sneered in satisfaction and drew another throwing dagger.

"Drow!!!!!!!" came a startled cry.

Both Nilan and Marcus turned toward the direction of the yell. Before them stood a young man, a look of terror fixed upon his face. Nilan's grip tightened around the hilt of the dagger within the palm of his hand. The young man broke into a run toward the city center screaming "Drow!!! Guards, help!!!! Guar---." His voice was cut short as a dagger thudded into his back and pierced his heart.

Nilan whirled towards Marcus once again, but the assassin had disappeared into the shadows of the alleyway. He scanned the area nervously looking for signs of the fleeing killer but found none. His shoulder throbbed painfully and he glanced at the wound, noting the bloody curved dagger that remained imbedded in flesh and muscle. Bending to pick up his stiletto, Nilan fought against the sudden dizziness that assaulted him. The necklace that allowed him to take human form had been destroyed by the Paladin's holy weapon. He could no longer hide his murderous heritage. Nilan shuddered involuntarily. The sounds of rapidly approaching footsteps tore Nilan from his troubled thoughts. He knew the city guard would be crawling over these streets within minutes. Reaching out with a blood soaked hand, Nilan's fingers closed around the signet ring of Waterdeep. This ring was the proof he needed to appease the Matron of House Al'Shadrazaar. With a quick tug, he tore the ring free of the Paladin's rigid dead hand and placed it within a hidden pocket in his tunic. Wincing, Nilan staggered into the shadows and faded from sight.

Marcus limped into Kang's chambers. A bandage was wrapped tightly around his left thigh. Kang groaned angrily, "Report, Marcus, and leave out nothing!" He slammed his wicked blade into the table before him. Marcus glanced around the room noting several of Kang's most trusted Lieutenant's - Nitania and Illreok, to name a few. Marcus snickered realizing that any other day Nilan would have stood among them in this very room.

"Yes, my master." Marcus added respectfully and began his tale. Kang’s face grew a deep shade of red, and Marcus grinned inwardly. "I followed Nilan as ordered, sir, but he didn't head toward the merchant's dock to complete your contract. It seems your lieutenant had plans of his own." Marcus sneered. He noted Illreok grimace as he tried to suppress a low moan.

"What kind of plans", Kang bellowed. "Spit it out Marcus, I'm in no mood for yer riddles."

"He murdered the High Paladin in Lord Piergieron's brigade, that's what." Marcus replied in anger. He could see that Kang was on the verge of exploding. "I… I tried to stop him, but…"

Kang roared in anger, his gauntlet fist sent Marcus sprawling. "What!!!!!"

Nitania listened with keen interest, she had always suspected her colleague had his own plans, much like she had, but never believed Nilan would be so bold as to assassinate a Paladin of such high station. Illreok sighed loudly but couldn't suppress a snicker.

Kang approached the sprawled form of Marcus, dagger in hand. "You failed me and Nilan's treachery has threatened my power within the walls of my own city."

Marcus staggered back, hands out stretched before him. "Wait, wait, I didn't fail you, I …I warned you of his treachery, Master." The assassin stammered as fear coursed through his body.

Kang advanced on the man, poison dripped from the deadly blade.

"He's Drow!!! Nilan is a cursed drow" Marcus wailed.

Kang stopped dead in his tracks. "Drow!!!"

Nitania gasped. Her hand instinctively went to the blade at her waist. Illreok's eye narrowed coldly.

Kang's face narrowed in anger as he slammed the dagger into the wooden wall a mere inches from Marcus's head. The blade snapped and steel and wood chips flew into the air. "I want 'im!!!!!!!" Kang screamed in anger. "I want him dead, do you all understand me?"

Marcus nodded. "Yes sir, perfectly master" he stammered as he rose to his feet.

"I want a contract on 'is head!" Kang continued bellowing, spitting in anger. "He'll find out what it means to go against me!!" Kang screamed. "Twenty-five thousand in platinum to the man, or woman (he eyed Nitania eagerly), who brings him in!!

"It shall be done sir." Marcus bowed low and proceeded toward the chamber's door, followed closely by Illreok.

"Marcus!" the Guildmaster roared, causing Marcus to turn abruptly. He watched in anticipation as it appeared Kang was considering other options.

"Yes, sir. Something else, sir?" Marcus inquired.

"Should ye be the one ta bring Nilan to me, there'll be a bigger reward fo' ye." Kang grinned wickedly. "And I'll see he suffers fo' days in so much agony he'll be beggin' fo' death." Kang sneered sadistically. "Then I'll slowly cut into 'is chest and tear out 'is still beatin' black drow heart!"

Nitania flinched at the words.

"Of course, Master." Marcus nodded.

"Don't fail me, my future Lieutenant." Kang grinned evilly at Marcus.

"Thank you, Master. Consider Nilan yours to do with as you please." Marcus bowed and exited the Guildmaster's chambers.

As the double doors shut behind him, a chill of excitement ran though Marcus's body. “I have you now, Nilan. Your rank and your life are forfeit. It's just a matter of time.” Marcus grinned as he recalled Kang's offer. “Me… a lieutenant.” Marcus considered the night's events as a smug grin fell over his face. “Finally, a station suited for my skills. A title I rightly deserve.” He eagerly rubbed his hands together and proceeded confidently through the guild's shadowed hallway.

Kang slowly reached into the folds of his cloak and removed a small capped vial. Holding it up to the torchlight, the red hued liquid seemed to glow.

"Tis deadly poison, is it not Master?" a soft feminine voice inquired from the darkness.

"One o' the most deadly," Kang answered without looking in the direction of the voice. Slowly he rotated the thin vial, marveling how it seemed to darken and shimmer as it ran down the sides of the tube. "I do hope' I might get ta use it soon on a certain traitor." Kang sneered in disgust and thrust the poison vial into his cloak.

Nitania emerged from the shadows in the Guildmaster's chamber. She was a beautiful woman and quite deadly as well. A dagger hung at her waist. "Ah," the woman thoughtfully replied. "Nilan. You're referring to Ni---"

Kang whirled suddenly, fixing the beautiful assassin a steely gaze. "Course I'm talkin' about Nilan,"

Nitania nodded but said nothing.

"He's a liability to us. He's a god's damned drow. What do you think that pig Piergieron will say when he learns that Garthus was assassinated not just by an assassin in my Guild, but by a drow assassin in my Guild?" Groaning in exasperation, Kang held the vial up to the torchlight. The light flickered off the deadly liquid, giving it an eerie glow. "He must die." Kang growled, but the anger building within him melted away as he gazed into the eyes of the woman before him. He bent down to kiss her cheek, his hand caressed her soft face. "Bring him to me, Nitania" he whispered into her ear. Nitania only smiled as she envisioned her own hold closing around the guild's coffers.

Nilan wandered aimlessly through the dark alleyways of southern Waterdeep. Through pain-filled eyes he trudged onward. His right arm hung limply at his side, each movement causing the assassin to wince in agony. His chest burned like fire where the Paladin's blade had slashed him. A few times he was forced to stop and rest. Nausea and pain pulsed through his body. His brow was bathed in sweat and he felt himself shivering. Nilan thought to remove the dagger imbedded in his shoulder in hopes to ease the pain, but he realized that in doing so he'd most likely bleed to death. The wicked blade was the only thing stemming the flow of his life's blood. Raising his left hand, Nilan wiped the sweat from his forehead. He drew his cloak tightly around his shivering body. A light flickered in the distance, and Nilan squinted to get his eyes to focus. He staggered forward, towards a run-down abandoned warehouse he had recognized. He was careful to avoid any streets that might be filling up with drunks scurrying home from near by taverns.

Nilan stood at the warehouse entrance frozen in place as he gazed at the rotting shingles and the sagging roof. Swallowing hard, he staggered toward the doorway. Gingerly he reached out for the doorknob. His hand closed tightly around the cold steel and he gave it a sharp tug. The wood creaked and the door pulled open, barely attached to its old rusted hinges. Cold stale air poured from the doorway. Nilan steeled himself and slowly entered the warehouse, closing the rotting door behind him. His attention turned now to the nagging pain in his shoulder. Once inside, Nilan tore at his cloak, shredding it as best he could into a makeshift bandage. Tears welled in his dark crimson eyes and his hand shook. With a sharp tug, Nilan tore the wicked blade free. Bright colors flashed in front of his eyes and he collapsed to the dirt-covered floor. Nilan's body convulsed in agony and his screams echoed throughout the abandoned building. Blood flowed rapidly from the wound, and Nilan's back felt suddenly warm and sticky. With shaking fingers, Nilan managed to wrap pieces of his shredded cloak around the grisly wound in an attempt to stop his life's blood from flowing. The wound bled freely however, and Nilan felt himself slowly fading. He knew he had to stop the bleeding or lose consciousness and die here.

Nilan tossed his ripped cloak in a heap beside the broken stone fire pit. Old half burnt pieces of rotten wood still remained in the pit where they had been apparently left many years ago. Nilan knelt beside them and began breaking apart pieces of rotten wood. Each piece that he tossed into the stone fire pit sent a dull throbbing pain coursing through his shoulder muscle. Wincing, Nilan removed his flint and steel box. Within seconds, he managed to coax a small fire out of the old rotten pieces of wood. Grabbing the cloak, Nilan spread the dark fabric over the dirt-covered floor and sat next to the fire pit. Squinting in the flashing light, he watched as the flames licked over the pieces of rotten wood. The crackling and warmth of the fire felt soothing, and for once Nilan felt himself relaxing. The chill of fear had left his body, and now Nilan felt nothing at all. Yet, somehow, that empty feeling felt comforting. Sighing, Nilan carefully undid the leather straps of his tunic and waist belt. He removed the belt, taking a dagger from its sheath. Tossing the belt aside, Nilan thrust the blade of the dagger into the flames. He watched as the metal slowly began to heat up. Nilan removed his black leather tunic and placed it along side the belt. Wincing, he felt the warm blood slowly run down his back. Nilan gingerly probed the wound with his fingertips. The cut was deep, but there was no infection. Nilan groaned as his gaze took in his fingertips, bathed red in dark blood. Wiping, his hand upon his cloak, Nilan reached for the dagger that he had thrust into the flames. The blade was red hot, and Nilan found himself staring at the brilliant orange colour of the once dark steeled dagger. Gripping the handle tightly, Nilan clenched his teeth and pressed the burning steel to his wounded shoulder. His flesh sizzled and Nilan screamed in agony. Writhing, Nilan collapsed to the floor, the dagger skittering from his failing grip. The smell of burnt flesh brought waves of nausea and Nilan felt his body convulse in spasms. Gritting his teeth, Nilan fought to stay conscious, but the pain was too great. Groaning, he closed his eyes and allowed the merciful darkness to take him.

Lord Piergieron paced the marble floor in the "Hall of Justice". The stern look upon his face hardened as his brow furrowed in thought. Since the assassination of Commander Garthus, the Waterdeep Lord had not slept. Now before him he assembled his most honored knights, the Paladins of the Holy Order. "Gentlemen, you know why you have been called to attention this morning," Lord Piergieron called above the murmuring crowd. Silence fell over the knights as they turned their full attention to the Lord of Waterdeep. "Commander Garthus, has fallen to an assassin's blade." Lord Piergieron paused briefly out of respect for his dead friend. The Paladins each bowed their heads in prayer. "I want his killer," the Waterdeep Lord demanded. "I want this man, whoever he is brought to justice."

"Sir, it will take some time, as there were no witnesses to this heinous act," grumbled Sir Karinak, "the piece of filth murdered a young man who apparently came upon the scene as best we can determine."

"Take all the time you need, do whatever it takes, I want this fiend captured," Lord Piergieron's voice rose in anger. In a quick motion he drew his huge golden-rune two-handed sword from its scabbard and held it up to the heavens. "I call upon almighty Tyr and righteous Torm," the Waterdeep Lord's voice echoed throughout the marble hall. "Grant us the power to right the wrong that evil has made. Let not Commander Garthus die in vain. Grant us the power to bring his murderer to justice. The assassin shall kneel before the sword of Tyr and in one swift stroke shall his soul be cleansed!"

"May Tyr and Torm have mercy on his soul," murmured the Paladins of the Holy Order.

Last edited by Nilan on Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Korin
Sojourner

Postby Korin » Fri Mar 29, 2002 6:54 pm

keeps getting better.. where's the next one.
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:44 am

Bumped up for you Ashod, Enjoy

Nilan
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:23 am

Just bumping it up as i did some editing to it made it easier to read
enjoy

Nilan
Nilan
Sojourner

Re: ShadowStalker - Treachery's Poisoned Blade (Part II)

Postby Nilan » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:08 pm

Bumping up as someone requested a read

Nilan

Return to “Stories”