Shattered

Share your original RP stories here.
Jurdex
Sojourner

Shattered

Postby Jurdex » Sun Nov 17, 2002 1:28 am

There were few times in the dwarf's life in which he felt truly ashamed of himself. However, this time was slightly different than any of the other encounters he had in which he disappointed himself.

Dornax had attained a certain station in life through hard work and patience not only with himself but with the world around him.

Many times he felt alone, a singular lost voice in a sea of desolate people, and he simply could not shake that feeling.

His journeys brought him to epic heights, most that were more suited to a children's bedtime story than the actuality of his own life, and some incredibly difficult lows.

He had brefriended some of the finest companions in the realms, and on some occasions he had to say goodbye to them. Parting was not always pleasant, but it was one thing, it was a certainty.

This was not lost on the aging dwarf. He knew the likelihood of his demise would be fading into oblivion without notice and without being missed. Strangely, this did not bother Dornax so much, as he had lived his entire life that way. Often in the forefront, be it battle or ceremony, the dwarf was accustomed to being misunderstood through blissful ignorance. Often times people accept what they see and not what is actually there. Too often in fact. The cleric had all but resigned himself to the fact he would meet Moradin sometime in the near future, and he would do so alone.

Perhaps it was best this way the dwarf had pondered many late nights staring into the crackling fire of an encampment he shared with his friends.

As close as they would grow, there would always be a distance separating them from the priest.

Distance.

Time passes. . .

Distance. Such an odd way of expressing oneself. The gruff nature of a dwarf is legendary, but there was a certain defeated serenity about the dwarf this night. He knew why, yet he did not want to face it, instead he would rather believe not only the improbable, but the impossible, than accept the truth of his situation.

Very few people had earned the trust of the priest. He had seen far too many daggers protruding from the backs of people who once called their murderer "friend" to be taken in so easily. At least not again. However, there are always exceptions to the rules, after all rules are made to be broken. Somewhat like the heart, the dwarf thought to himself, producing a wry smile that no one would ever see.

Certain things in this life were simply how they were meant to be. Dornax knew no other name. Like other legendary heroes, some mythical and some real, he had been given a singular name for a singular heart. Often those figures walked treacherous paths, and they walked them alone. Whether he was a hero or not was simple conjecture, Dornax felt. He was more amused at the twisted resemblance he shared with such storybook characters.

One name.

No other.

One path.

No lover.

Oh, if only that were true. As with any good tale of a troubled hero struggling through life, Dornax had also been struck with a fondness for a lady.

Sometimes there are just certain ways people have of surprising you.

At times they can be the most wonderful little gifts bundled up so nice in all the right wrappings with all the right meanings and words tumbling out.

And sometimes.

Sometimes those surprises bring you to the edge of a cliff and ever so gently nudge you across.

Scream.

Shout.

Little difference is made, except the indellible mark left upon the "lucky" individual receiving their surprise.

If there was one thing Dornax disliked more than anything he had found in his travels through the realms and in his life is the concept of betrayal and being made the fool. Perhaps those are two different entities, but the dwarf had found they often travel hand in hand.

And today was no different.

It never is.

Is it?

Before allowing himself to eventually be made the fool he is right now, Dornax had tried his hardest to make certain this moment would never come. Sometimes you cannot fight the sun rising in the sky. Sometimes you cannot fathom all of the reasons why. Sometimes you simply cannot see. Some things simply aren't meant to be.

And so he walks.

Silently, at least as much as a dwarf can be silent, he made his way down the worn path to the grove of trees in which he allowed himself, nay he exposed himself, to be the fool he is this moment.

His words were sincere.

They always were.

Every single one.

He meant what he had said.

He means them to this day.

But enough was finally just that... it was enough.

Dornax came upon the large stone in which he and his former mentor used to sit and pass the time, and he knelt down.

Slowly he removed the small ring from his finger.

He laid it down upon the worn stone, and he rose to his feet.

Breathing deeply, he let out a long wistful sigh.

At which point he froze.

His face lost all emotion, replaced by a stoic expression <i>revealing nothing. . .

Revealing nothing. . .</i>

Resolutely Dornax raised his ancient mithril hammer above his head and with a determination fueled by the bitter chills he had received from one who meant so much he brought the weapon down with a thunderous crash upon the tiny ring and the stone.

His arms and hands coursing with energy from the hammer, he let out a single roar and the hammer glowed brightly as the stone was split asunder and the ring was <i>instantly shattered. . .

Shattered. . .</i>

The ring and the stone it was placed upon were not the only things in the small wooded grove that day to be broken.

And all Dornax could hear in his mind was an old tired cliche that seemed so appropriate.

"Fool me once, and shame on you. Fool me twice, and shame on me."

Yes.

Ashamed.

And a fool.

Dornax

------------------
The Raven of Wisdom

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
"My Honor is My Life"

Return to “Stories”