UPDATE: Dragons and Tiamat

Updates and notes from the development staff.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

UPDATE: Dragons and Tiamat

Postby Shevarash » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:47 am

Sojourners -

As many of you may know, I was missing in action for a great deal of 2004, due to physically being unable to MUD. I deeply regret this lost time, but it was unavoidable. I am now back, and have been for a couple of months. This post is to update you on what I've been working on:

DRAGONS

I have recoded the Dragon race from scratch. The new system features support for over 20 types of AD&D dragons (5 chromatics, 5 metallics, 5 gems, and misc. dragons) and their own unique breaths. Dragons have alos learned a whole bunch of new tricks, which I will leave as a surprise for now. The new system is pretty extensive, and was designed to be easily extendable for now types of dragons, as well as readily portable to other types of advanced mobs, such as demons/devils, etc. It is my goal to make dragons as challenging and interesting as they deserve to be in a game based on Dungeons & Dragons.

During the process of writing this code I compiled a large list of changes to general mob AI and other related changes. Some of those will go in with the dragon code, other things will follow in the coming months as standalone changes.

The dragon code project is complete and currently in the final testing stage.

For more information, check this: http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15092.

TIAMAT

The initial reason for the new dragon code was of course Tiamat, and her code has also been rewritten from scratch. Tiamat takes full advantage of the new dragon code, as well as a number of brand new tricks just for her. The Tiamat zone has also been vastly rewritten. Some familiar aspects will remain, but by and large the Tiamat experience will be all new, and enhanced.

The Tiamat zone is complete, and the Tiamat code is now undergoing testing.

RELEASE DATE

I can't give a hard implementation date for this code at this time, but it will be a matter of weeks at the most. As I said, all major coding is complete and only testing and final tweaking remains. It will be in just as soon as it is done.

FUTURE PLANS

I have a large backlog of projects to begin work on as soon as the above code is implemented, and while I won't discuss it all in detail here I can assure you that there are alot of plans and changes in the works. I will discuss those as soon as it is prudent.

Look for more posts in this forum when the Dragon/Tiamat code goes live. In the meantime, you may feel free to discuss these changes in other forums, and you may or may not get a response to questions regarding them. I want everyone to know that work IS being done, but I still very much want the details of it to be a fun surprise for everyone.

Thank you for your time, and happy MUDding!
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Update: Dragon Code Live

Postby Shevarash » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:37 am

The Dragon code is now live. Please see the thread in Gameplay Discussion for feedback.

Tiamat will follow soon..
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD

Return to “Archive”