An idea to improve the arena...

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Elscint
Sojourner

An idea to improve the arena...

Postby Elscint » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:50 pm

I was just thinking the arena sure isn't used too often and I came up with this idea...

okay you have to be level 30 I believe to use the arena as is if not that's what I would propose...

have a portal in or very near every hometown so as to be fair to all...

after entering a portal there are 4 directions to go n e s w

limit the northern direction to players of levels 30 31 32 33 and 34
have mobs within this section ranging from levels 35-39 and make them all sentinal non tracking mobs and make the exp 1.5-2x what their counterparts in a zone would be..

limit the easterly direction to players of levels 35 36 37 38 and 39..
mobs rangering from 40-44 rest same as above...

southerly direction players level 40 41 42 43 and 44.. mobs 45-49...

and westerly players level 45 46 47 48 49 and 50... mobs 51-55

now if you are to die in the arena I would suggest that you not have a corpse and you lose 20% just like if you'd died in a zone of course by not having a corpse I do no mean you lose gear but rather there is no opportunity to res and your gear is still with you just as it is now when you die only with that exp loss added.. I would also suggest that the exp lost by the group or individual getting killed be distributed among those doing the killing...

sure would make the arena more popular... bigger reward as far as exp goes and a bigger risk since you can't res after getting smacked..

just a thought.. flame me as you see fit...

Tiran
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:57 pm

I think you'd only see rogues, trolls and stacked enchanters in the arena, kind of like now :P
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:21 pm

wow that would totaly suck try comming on 30 or so hours into the boot at the low point (player wise in the game) we have allout parties as is the western and southern parts of acheron are broken and that xp loss with !res would be horrible absolutly noone would use the arena at all
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:48 pm

I believe those ideas would keep players from coming to the arena at all. Having nothing to loose except some hps is only reason Soj players go there now.

It is kinda sad that there are no mobs in the arena. They'd have to be worth zilch on exp to keep players from twinking exps. What if there was an actual zone within the arena, devoid of exp and items. Would we actually see guild wars taking place? A zone that is more like a big battlefield.

What would it take to see that happen?

-Caedym Shadowhock
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:12 pm

Caedym wrote:Would we actually see guild wars taking place? A zone that is more like a big battlefield.

What would it take to see that happen?

-Caedym Shadowhock

It would take real parody and long boots to see that happen. As long as the boots go, the parody(parity?) just isn't there. Who is going to fight?

Evils vs. goodies - Evils should win and everyone knows it. They have nothing to gain by slapping around the good races because they have more powerful characters, but if they lost they would never hear the end of it. No reason for them to bother.

Evils vs. Evils - I haven't kept up with the evils lately, but from what I understand there's not too many on at any given time. Last I remember the guilds weren't very competitive with one another, they were pretty much all friends.

Goodies vs. Goodies - Lack of Parody. None of the guilds are close enough to each other in relative status to make it worth it. If 2 guilds battled, one guild would be expected by everyone to win, and you get the same problem as evils vs. goodies, one side has nothing to lose, the other side has nothing to gain. I don't want to insult everyone and say who should beat who, but i'll give one example that isn't too harsh. What would Imphras have to gain by beating twilight raven in the arena? Nothing really, everyone knows they should win. But if twilight raven happened to win, god damn but I would torture gimphras forever, and im not alone in that one.

So until you have some real competition between guilds again, you're not going to see them slug it out as groups in the arena. First you need a valid question of which guild is stronger before it makes the fight worth having. Also there's people who would be afraid to lose so they wouldn't play for fear of embarassment.

I'd like to see Imphras vs. EU, i think that would be a good brawl. That's about the only two guilds I could see slugging it out with a valid question of who would win. Otherwise, the parody isn't there, so you're not gonna see it happen.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:24 pm

I think you'll first need to come up with a real good reason for two zone sized groups to be fooling around in the arena when they could be, I dunno... zoning?

Putting a zone in the arena would create a bunch of problems, especially considering that a beaten group can come right back in and there's no penalty at all for dying in that zone.

So the only way to get significant numbers of players in the arena at one time is god/quest presence. Of course if rewards are given, that'll create all sorts of headaches for the staff.
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:36 pm

Hyldryn wrote:I think you'll first need to come up with a real good reason for two zone sized groups to be fooling around in the arena when they could be, I dunno... zoning?

What if Jot Invasion loads and two (or more) zone groups reach tree at same time. Perhaps they could settle who gets it by battling in arena?

Wonder how fair that would be?

-Caedym Shadowhock
Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:37 pm

GODs will pwn any guildwar. 8)
Dornax says 'And for the right amount of information ye might get some nookie out of Nokie..'

Nokie wiggles his bottom.
Teba tells you 'let me do my job you volo twinker!'
Bobidibble GCC: 'yeah i admit gura is a better warrior then i am, no shame in it... perhaps someday i shall be as pimp'
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:45 pm

Yeah, I see that happening right after Illithids become the best tanking race.
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:53 pm

If there were arena Guildwars more regularly, would we need to change the current group cap? Higher? or lower it?

Would we want 30+ people fighting in one room, or maybe groups of 6 instead of 15-30, working in unison? Perhaps there could be 3-5 quick heal flag rooms, and whoever holds the 5 flag rooms longest wins?

Which would be better in guildwar arena fighting Evils? Troll tanks or Ogre tanks or Duergar tanks if you're taking goodie area casting damage and such? If evils are only using troll tanks, aren't you guys gonna fry up on a couple infernos?

-Caedym Shadowhock
Elscint
Sojourner

getting to the point of it all..

Postby Elscint » Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:29 pm

Hyldryn mentioned exactly what I'm after...

I think you'll first need to come up with a real good reason for two zone sized groups to be fooling around in the arena when they could be, I dunno... zoning?

I thought that I had made it clear why 2 groups would go to the arena..
my proposal would be that you would gain exp from mobs there infact you would gain insane like 1.5-2x exp that those mobs would be worth in any regular area on the mud... this would draw the ppl in.. and the fact that you could lose exp without the possibility of res is the risk...

well whatever it doesn't really seem as though the first few ppl to reply really care to actually discuss the idea but rather just blow past and make their comment on the arena...

Tiran[/quote]
Lenefir
Sojourner

Re: An idea to improve the arena...

Postby Lenefir » Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:32 am

Elscint wrote:[...]now if you are to die in the arena I would suggest that you not have a corpse and you lose 20% just like if you'd died in a zone of course by not having a corpse I do no mean you lose gear but rather there is no opportunity to res and your gear is still with you just as it is now when you die only with that exp loss added..
rylan wrote:I think you'd only see rogues, trolls and stacked enchanters in the arena, kind of like now :P

Yeah, right :P If I had the risk of losing experience and thus level, spells, and skill notches and may end up spending several hours doing exp because I accidentically ;) lost in the arena, I wouldn't go down there unless there were a really good reason. Like now, one successful backstab from a rogue, and I'm smoosh.

However, it would be nice if there were some way to choose which part of the several archeron layers (or what you should call it) you go to. As it is now, it seems random to me, and sometimes I run around alone, while people fight somewhere else. And a faster-hp-regen room outside somewhere would be nice too, for those of us that have to use the good old recline-sleep tactic to get back hp...
"Being God isn't easy. If you do too much, people get dependent on you; and if you do nothing, they lose hope. You have to use a light touch [...]. When you do things right, people won't be sure you have done anything at all"
--Futurama
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Sat Aug 30, 2003 4:25 am

Losing xp in the arena for death would instill too much bad blood. I would be royally pissed off at any PK in the arena. I think it would be detrimental to the mud if it were implemented.
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:35 pm

why could we not have guild wars now?

i think its a great idea. we could hold ladder matches for guilds and whatnot. start with it by once a month (or week or whatever) having a god sit and count deaths for each guild (once dead no reenter or guild forfieghts)*sp*

mebbe there could be a trophy that could be passed around or somthin? and/or each person in the guild could get a badge saying that they won that particular tourney

any way even if a god didnt come and count deaths it would still be fun.
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:21 am

that sounded strangely like thunderdome :P
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:31 am

8)

We don't need another hero!!!!

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”