Rescue

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Ace
Sojourner

Rescue

Postby Ace » Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:54 pm

Instead of making warriors dependent on rescue triggers, have a rescue trigger built into the game. So if they have Rescue togged on they will auto rescue anybody in their group who is fighting. This is comming from a mage who is tired of hearing from a warrior "my rescue trigger isn't working quite right hope it works." =)

Welcome to toril.

Ace
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:57 pm

Let's just sell autorescuing warriors in the shop as pets.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Re: Rescue

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:58 pm

Ace wrote:Instead of making warriors dependent on rescue triggers, have a rescue trigger built into the game. So if they have Rescue togged on they will auto rescue anybody in their group who is fighting. This is comming from a mage who is tired of hearing from a warrior "my rescue trigger isn't working quite right hope it works." =)

Welcome to toril.

Ace

I remember the days when there weren't rescue triggers (then again we didn't have squid and duergar names just gay gnome names to deal with).
Lilithelle stops using a softly throbbing piece of flesh.
Gura group-says 'ill go solo the biznatch, just don't tell Stamm'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
Ace
Sojourner

Postby Ace » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:04 pm

Thanuk you warriors are lazy anyways, the more machine like we can make you the better.

Ace
[48 Elementalist] Acedizaken (Duergar) (RP)
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:12 pm

I'm all for this. It's not like I pay attention when I'm supposed to be rescuing anyway.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:40 pm

Can I get autogroup, autobark, autosilence, and autoheal triggers hardcoded so I can run more zones from telnet? ;)
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:46 pm

Bah, I use a combo of manual and a bit of triggers. If you want mindless robots to be the tank, trust me, you don't have to look too far on Toril.

Big thumbs down for that idea.
Meatshield
Pheten
Sojourner

Postby Pheten » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:47 pm

Next in the auto-line. Auto mud! log on with your character and never type a single thing, watch as he progresses through the levels, gets horrible cr's, looses bid on equipment and gets into a flame war with guildmates!!

*coming soon* new auto bbs poster, You thought the auto-mud was good, wait until you can sit back and watch your very own auto-bbs-poster go to town with his l33t talk, throwin smack around and flaming noobs!
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:50 pm

Hard coded autorescue? Tell me you are kidding, please. Lets try not to make the players dependand on the machine. Truely skilled people seem to be in short enough supply as it is these days (not saying I'm one of them).
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:51 pm

Cirath wrote:Hard coded autorescue? Tell me you are kidding, please. Lets try not to make the players dependand on the machine. Truely skilled people seem to be in short enough supply as it is these days (not saying I'm one of them).

We know you aren't Skinny! :P
Meatshield
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:55 pm

Damn that was a funny auto-post.
Ace
Sojourner

Postby Ace » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:56 pm

moritheil wrote:Can I get autogroup, autobark, autosilence, and autoheal triggers hardcoded so I can run more zones from telnet? ;)

See Autobark/Autosilence/Autoheal are called spells. Spells are cast. Nobody has autospell triggers. Unless in very array situations.

Tanks use "rescue triggers". I think the game is trying to get away from so many of these triggers provided by outside companies. Recently the new percentage was put in for experience. Previously everybody just used triggers to show that amount. Back to my point though. This wouldn't effect the game at all except for switching it from outside triggers, to directly into the game.

Ace
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:00 pm

Ace..

Some warriors actually don't use a ton of rescue triggers. Some of us actually pay attention.

I'm not a robot, I'm a human being dammit!
Meatshield
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:07 pm

Ace,

If you don't think people have autospell triggers and aliases, you haven't been mudding long enough ;)

Vahok is a barbarian, not a human! *stare*
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'

Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'

Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:10 pm

Ace wrote:Tanks use "rescue triggers".

Ace, the best tanks use a mixture of customized triggers and manual rescue. And who and when they rescue depends on the situation. Part of being a good tank is knowing when and how many and what kinda triggers to use. And part of being a good tank is finding a workable set of triggers for the client you're using, or being good enough at manual mudding that you don't need 'em.

Rescuing is a skill, a player's skill, not a hard-coded skill. Good tanks are good at it. Bad tanks -- including those who try to rescue everyone in the group all the time -- get you killed.
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:19 pm

In a standard group, my attempt to rescue some people goes off before most tanks. I use nothing but a trigger. I'm just a ranger, my rescuing is like a good christmas present from your grandmother; i.e. a TOTAL surprise.

In a good group, I see a lot of 'But that person isn't fighting anybody' because the good tanks, have already rescued them based on a priority that they know and work with. The good tanks, aren't rescuing ME instead of a caster who's getting wailed on because they know that... well I'm just a ranger and that caster is gonna be able to scale/heal or do more damage than me with their pinky than I can in 3 rounds.

There needs to be something to differentiate the men from mice when it comes to tanking skills. Automating it mudside would be bad imho.
Ace
Sojourner

Postby Ace » Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:23 pm

Was just throwing an idea out their, I am probably the most lazy person alive and if the game offered me an option for my war to set a couple of names to rescue i would be for it instead of using a trigger. I see you warriors don't feel the same way =P

Ace
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:36 pm

[quote="Sylvos"] The good tanks, aren't rescuing ME instead of a caster

Nah, Sylvos..I don't rescue you because you are from a stupid city in real life...
Meatshield
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:44 pm

Ace wrote:[Nobody has autospell triggers. Ace

Hahahahaha, sure they don't.

oops /sarc
Tuga
Sojourner

Postby Tuga » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:30 am

I use an auto cast dragonscale trigger on the tank that is assigned to me, where I glance him/her every round and Zmud does the rest.

Now, instead of having stupid [look room] trigger to find out who the mob switched too(and if someone sayz that they use a diferent method they are lying, specially in multiple mob fights) can we make it easier to find out who the mob switched to? (think about bandwidth)

Cheerz
Tuga the Sunless Troll
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:40 am

Tuga wrote:Now, instead of having stupid [look room] trigger to find out who the mob switched too(and if someone sayz that they use a diferent method they are lying, specially in multiple mob fights) can we make it easier to find out who the mob switched to? (think about bandwidth)

Cheerz
Tuga the Sunless Troll

I think it's 30/40/30 judging by in-game observation. Some warriors will manually rescue you. Those are the ones who don't even try to rescue you. Ever. They just don't want to type your name. The ones that use the auto-rescue look on mob switch are easy to spot. They never rescue invokers. Mobs don't SWITCH to vokers, they just start out wailing on them when they enter and get hit with an area spell. You know you got an auto rescuer afk wank when you gsay 'rescue me i'm going to die' and 3 rounds later you're dead with not one rescue attempt towards you. The last 30% are the ones who use an alias for that particular group. My fav cuz they actually rescue you or will eventually try to as their rescues go thru a predefined list.

I don't support an auto-rescue feature with the way melee currently us. This only supports robots. As much as I like the quiet, no thanks.

Q: How do you know when an evilrace warrior is afk-botting?
A: He's not talking shit.
Asup group-says 'who needs sex ed when you got sesexe.'
Targsk group-says 'sexedse'
mount dragon
You climb on and ride Tocx'enth'orix, the elder black dragon.
You have learned something new about mount!
Tuga
Sojourner

Postby Tuga » Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:08 am

Hmmmmm If mobs never switch to vokers why do they need to be rescued???

Cheerz
Tuga the Sunless Troll
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:18 am

Tuga wrote:Hmmmmm If mobs never switch to vokers why do they need to be rescued???

Cheerz
Tuga the Sunless Troll

Cuz when we area any mobs that are walk-ins instantly engage the invoker without having to 'switch' this can result in massive amounts of mobs all piling on one invoker, ala clouds!

mount dragon

Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:47 am

haha, when you area, like in muspel as a patrol walks in, you're good as dead! So, no - there's no need to rescue an invoker in that situation :P Has happened to me in Seelie too
omrec
Sojourner

Postby omrec » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:26 am

Good rescuers (whether machine-code or brain-coded) will try a rescue when any of the following happens:

1) You get switched to
2) You get hit (bit/whipped/bashed/etc..)
3) They happen to see you tanking a mob in the room.
4) You are in the 'tank' part of the status line

Doing this well, especially in many-mob fights, is either an exercise in good trigger coding, an exercise in good player skills, or most likely some combination of the two. Automating it would just take away the main reason to play a tank..:)

And while I'm not quite as lazy as Tuga is at scaling, I do make use of quite a few helpful triggers/aliases for casting spells, but most of my in-group scaling is manual. Because any time wasted trying to scale someone who isn't even tanking is going to let your current tank die a painful death (or possibly the mage that got switched to that noone is rescuing, etc).

Anyway, the point is, if there is something that at least involves some player skill, don't automate it. Things that don't involve any playing skill (like writing an exp % trigger), however, are great targets for being included directly in the mud. We want to keep the things in-game that differentiate the good players from the bad players.

-Om
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:50 pm

Tuga wrote:Now, instead of having stupid [look room] trigger to find out who the mob switched too(and if someone sayz that they use a diferent method they are lying, specially in multiple mob fights)

I use a different method, and I use 0 triggers. Let's just say mob switches aren't as random as you think they are.

Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Pheten
Sojourner

Postby Pheten » Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:54 pm

The truth is Thanuk is a complex set up triggers and aliases set up by myself on a second computer with its own internet address making him the perfect way to multiplay. Now if I could just figure out why he talks the way he does...
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:46 pm

Pheten wrote:The truth is Thanuk is a complex set up triggers and aliases set up by myself on a second computer with its own internet address making him the perfect way to multiplay. Now if I could just figure out why he talks the way he does...

Well, we know the MumaAI got out and developed semi-sentience. Obviously the ThanukAI did, too. Hey, they might be the same basic routines, except the ThanukAI has substitued "Your mom" for ":p"
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:49 pm

Gurns wrote:Well, we know the MumaAI got out and developed semi-sentience. Obviously the ThanukAI did, too. Hey, they might be the same basic routines, except the ThanukAI has substitued "Your mom" for ":p"

Did you just compare me to Mumra? OMG we're so not talking.

mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:56 pm

OMG! Thanuk is Muma! Muma is Thanuk!
Lilithelle stops using a softly throbbing piece of flesh.
Gura group-says 'ill go solo the biznatch, just don't tell Stamm'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:15 pm

mynazzaraxxsyn wrote:OMG! Thanuk is Muma! Muma is Thanuk!

That means....I hooked up with Iaiken!?! AFK hanging self.

Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:56 pm

Thuma wrote:Like did you just like compare me to like Mumra? OMG! we're SO not talking. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Hey Thuma,

I :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P your mom!

=^)

mount dragon

Stamm
Sojourner

Postby Stamm » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:14 pm

Hmm, I disagree with making it as simple as that.

There's no 'right way' to do it. Some good tanks use only triggers, some use only manual, I expect most are somewhere between.

The important thing is that a good warrior knows exactly how his triggers work.

If you put in an auto-rescue thing then maybe I'd fall back on it if I was telnetting, but I'd still use my trigger and alias set that I have just now.
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Postby Gromikazer » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:52 am

Not to incriminate myself, but I have fallen asleep, or went to a fast food place for food, while doing zones several times. I didn't do this as a caster, no I did it as my warrior, because I had a rescue trigger set up really well, the way I liked it. I don't plan to do this in the near future, but I'm just saying it is pretty lame how warrior classes are set up now. If I didn't have triggers, I would have to be able to type 100 words a minute and have the coordination to watch a name SPEED by in a fight, and know to rescue him. It is real easy to "cast mob" or "cast area", it is not easy to "rescue hahjoaohdoahs" even with tab completetion. You don't need to read through an entire list of names to know who to rescue, you just type "cast blah". Don't get all huffy puffy and upset that warriors use rescue triggers, because if we didnt, casters would be dead ALOT more often.

Implementing some kind of "guard" command might be a happy middle ground. It is implemented on alot of other muds, and it is just a predefined "rescue target" on one person.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:21 pm

you know half the fun of playing a warrior is being able to talk shit all the time. without my rescue trigger, i wouldnt have half as much time to shoot my mouth.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Postby Gromikazer » Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:18 am

I guarentee any warrior that dosen't use a rescue trigger isn't 1/2 as good as I am. As kiryan said, first, it allows me to taunt the mobs, and prod the group into kicking more ass. Second as a evil, you have to be insane to want to type the multitude of drow, snake, illithid names 20-30 times a fight. Even with tab completetion its not feasible.

Please don't pretend that without triggers to keep me rescueing casters that not every single one of them wouldn't be bitching at me, that I let them die.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:49 am

Gromikazer wrote:Please don't pretend that without triggers to keep me rescueing casters that not every single one of them wouldn't be bitching at me, that I let them die.

I don't have a trigger, and im not 1/2 as good as you are...im 2x as good as you are.

BTW if you were a real warrior you would slap those wuss casters if they ever complained and then go right back to headbutting.

Dizzin
Sojourner

Postby Dizzin » Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:48 am

Course, those wuss casters would stop casting spells on you and you'd die in 2 rounds.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:29 pm

It would be funny to watch, so give the wuss-slapping a try!
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:24 pm

Dizzin wrote:Course, those wuss casters would stop casting spells on you and you'd die in 2 rounds.

I don't think so Tim.

Izzes
Sojourner

Postby Izzes » Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:55 pm

Instead of an auto rescue feature, add a protection ability. Tank A could choose to protect Enchanter and Invoker A, while Tank B could choose to protect Invoker B and Cleric. You could only protect people in your group and it would prevent switches. This would go both ways so enemy warrior mobs could protect thier casters, but it would be a nice ability.

Ace is a moron *poke*

Izzy
othelil
Sojourner

Postby othelil » Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:10 pm

Izzes wrote:You could only protect people in your group and it would prevent switches. This would go both ways so enemy warrior mobs could protect thier casters, but it would be a nice ability.

The way things are now, unless enemy mobs figure out how to rescue their caster friends from spells we don't care how often they rescue.

*duck*
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular.

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”