Loot Triggers and Ninja's

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Rho
Sojourner

Loot Triggers and Ninja's

Postby Rho » Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:32 pm

a simple complaint, I've removed the players name but it was a 50th level player.

You stop trying to hide.
With practiced ease and lightning reflexes, you plunge a glowing crimson dagger into a street cleaner's back. Shocked, he slumps to the ground and shudders, before breathing no more.
You receive your share of experience.

get coins corpse
score
A street cleaner is dead! R.I.P.
Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of a street cleaner.

A 50th wanker gets a small pile of coins from corpse of a street cleaner.

The corpse of a street cleaner does not contain the coins.

Alright, I've noticed this a lot, does anyone know how to make a proper loot trigger? Or is stealing the way we do things here?
Vorkul Tigerclaw
Sojourner

Postby Vorkul Tigerclaw » Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:54 pm

That does get annyoing.

You should loot on receive your share of experience, not the R.I.P.
Nuada GCC: 'what the heck is a khanjari'
Dudle GCC: 'it's a new player class'
Azerost GCC: 'Imagine for a second that they jammed Drizzt into a dagger'
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:48 pm

Feh, you think that's annoying? At least they don't steal your arrows =p
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'You are no match for elemental pants!'
Ihazim
Sojourner

Postby Ihazim » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:29 pm

50th level players know how to make a proper trigger. Problem is that's just not how things are done here. 3nj0y!
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:06 pm

Ihazim wrote:50th level players know how to make a proper trigger. Problem is that's just not how things are done here. 3nj0y!

thats so not true

keep in mind there are lvl 50 noobs who perhaps dont know HOW to turn that trigger off .. simply talk to the player??

you dont mention trying top talk to them to ask if they know how to do that

never ASSume
Teej
Sojourner

Postby Teej » Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:37 pm

Yes, ask, and be damned grateful if they don't yell at you for being helpful and promise to get even with your whole group. I won't forget that experience.

All we can do is be as decent as we can and ask politely, and if the player actually is considerate of you and the rules, don't be too smug.

"f...tard" indeed.
Rho
Sojourner

Postby Rho » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:05 pm

In reference to the above I know this is not the way it has been but perhaps of late this is the direction we are heading.

As for talking to them? Yes, always try to resolve it first before posting anything. When I have tried, few drop the coins and apologize but most simply ignore the request. It's just strange to make an improper trigger to begin with.

It's a different type of mudder now it seems. NOt like it was back in the day. It's the problem with being an old player. It just seems to me a little more impersonal.
----------------------------
Rho

A coalescing of the ethereal substance causes your vision to blur...
When it at last clears Lerinala stands before you, looking extremely tired!
Lerinala has just realized she has no visible means of support!
Lerinala drops from sight.
selerial
Sojourner

Postby selerial » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:58 am

This practice surprised me as well. A rather well known character and I were standing at the trade board in wd, I think a salesman was bothering people there, so I "took care" of him. This character proceeded to immediately loot the coins from the corpse. I expressed my surprise that such a person would have an improper trigger, as the rules still clearly state:

-------
9. Looting of kills not yours, pet killing, kill-stealing and
tell/mmail/ooc/shout/acc/gsay
spamming are all illegal. Please try to work all this out between yourselves
BEFORE you ask the Staff for help.

(to see this in the game, just run the command "rules")
--------

His explanation was that most people in zone groups these days trigger on death cries, rather than gained xp, as it is some number of lines higher in the text, and hence people triggering off the death cry get a higher percentage of coins than those triggering off the xp gained line.

Frankly, I still think this is lame. (No offense to the person that this specifically took place with, it seems the system has become lax to even allow such mindsets to proliferate to the point that people would try to defend *illegal* triggers.)
Dlur
Sojourner

Postby Dlur » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:34 am

I prefer to just spam #99 "get all corpse" as soon as the mob is at few wounds to better ensure that I am able to get coins. Sure, I don't do much healing, or stoning from few wounds until dead, but really what is more important keeping everyone alive, or getting 1 plat and 23 coppers? Money obviously!
Ghimok|Dlur|Emeslan|Ili|Zinse|Teniv
*~~~~~~~~~~*
"Censorship is telling a man he can't eat a steak just because a baby can't chew it." - Mark Twain
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:47 am

Well that certainly explains a lot :( Damn you Dlur...

!!x
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:16 am

selerial wrote:This practice surprised me as well. A rather well known character and I were standing at the trade board in wd, I think a salesman was bothering people there, so I "took care" of him. This character proceeded to immediately loot the coins from the corpse. I expressed my surprise that such a person would have an improper trigger, as the rules still clearly state:

-------
9. Looting of kills not yours, pet killing, kill-stealing and
tell/mmail/ooc/shout/acc/gsay
spamming are all illegal. Please try to work all this out between yourselves
BEFORE you ask the Staff for help.

(to see this in the game, just run the command "rules")
--------

His explanation was that most people in zone groups these days trigger on death cries, rather than gained xp, as it is some number of lines higher in the text, and hence people triggering off the death cry get a higher percentage of coins than those triggering off the xp gained line.

Frankly, I still think this is lame. (No offense to the person that this specifically took place with, it seems the system has become lax to even allow such mindsets to proliferate to the point that people would try to defend *illegal* triggers.)

There is nothing illegal about those triggers if the intent is to use them only in a zone where they are participating in the killing. They are still loot triggers. If the person does not ever intend to give back other peoples' loot, then yes, they are being used in an illegal fashion.

In my opinion, the deeper problem to address would be the practice of ninja looting in the first place. If there is no ninja looting, the need for more general triggers will be gone. On the other hand as long as ninja looting is prevalent, it's nigh impossible to force people to use the specific triggers only without resorting to restrictive and invasive measures.

I would be delighted if there was no ninja looting, as it means that as a frequent leader of zones, I would not need to worry about income.

But remember, it only takes 1 person out of 15 to ruin that for a group.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:27 pm

So Mori, tag ninja looting to bids... If you ninja loot, then cash is your bid and you sit out first round. That'd end it.
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:15 pm

Dlur wrote:I prefer to just spam #99 "get all corpse" as soon as the mob is at few wounds to better ensure that I am able to get coins. Sure, I don't do much healing, or stoning from few wounds until dead, but really what is more important keeping everyone alive, or getting 1 plat and 23 coppers? Money obviously!

Someone took my strategy!
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:23 pm

here's a simple solution that works well for me. my trigger goes off on

"You receive your share of the expirience"

and my trigger is gget coins corpse

that way i only loot mobs i help kill if i'm the leader of the group, that's it problem solved thank you have a nice day.

Pril

PS this may also be why i'm poor since i don't loot when i'm not leading and others loot when i am.... hmmm..... maybe i should change trigger to just get all corpse and anything i loot in zones gets kept by me :p

*halo*
Iaiken Toransier
Sojourner

Postby Iaiken Toransier » Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:54 pm

I have always used triggers aliases and classes to ninja coins, but at least my triggers are relatively competent.

First, I have triggers that know when I am, or any of my group members are, in combat and a list of who we are fighting. They automatically enable/disable my specific combat triggers based on my combat state; such triggers include gags, rescues of "squishies" (in the case of tanking), tank status glances (in case of healer/ele) and my cash money ninja triggers.

I trigger off "is dead", "You r" and "slumps". There are little if statements that can differentiate the mobs we are fighting and those we are not. There ARE situations where this trigger can loot accidentally, such as miscguy and I are exping in some area where the mobs all have the same name in the same room, if I am engaged and he kills his mob, I will loot it accidentally, but if he asks me I'll just scroll up, see that I am wrong and give him his cash back and appologize.

I've only ever been outninja'd because of lag from other actions and by loot spammers (yes I know not everyone does this).

If the gods dissaprove of theft so much, they could just attatch the agrolist to the mobs corpse so that they can check against that when someone tries to loot it. Everyone else would then have to wait until the corpse rots and the contents are on the ground before they can make like a thief.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:15 pm

The few times I led I just told people that the only bid I was taking was the cash in the zone... they could let me loot, and I wouldn't bid, but if they jacked my coins then I'd take my choice of whatever items we got.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:20 pm

Teej wrote:Yes, ask, and be damned grateful if they don't yell at you for being helpful and promise to get even with your whole group. I won't forget that experience.

All we can do is be as decent as we can and ask politely, and if the player actually is considerate of you and the rules, don't be too smug.

"f...tard" indeed.

Amen.
Asup group-says 'who needs sex ed when you got sesexe.'
Targsk group-says 'sexedse'
mount dragon
You climb on and ride Tocx'enth'orix, the elder black dragon.
You have learned something new about mount!
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:25 pm

Dlur wrote:I prefer to just spam #99 "get all corpse" as soon as the mob is at few wounds to better ensure that I am able to get coins. Sure, I don't do much healing, or stoning from few wounds until dead, but really what is more important keeping everyone alive, or getting 1 plat and 23 coppers? Money obviously!

BAHAHAH I've been in groups where it seemed the healer/scaler/rescuer seemed to be doing that. :( explains so much.
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Duna
Sojourner

Postby Duna » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:55 pm

okay prime example of what Rho's talking about...

The salesman pierces you.
The salesman dodges your futile attack.
You bludgeon the salesman to death.
The salesman is dead! R.I.P.
collect
Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of the salesman.

< 244h/265H 157v/157V >
< P: std > You collected 3 missiles total, 3 from corpses.
You reloaded 3 missiles into your quiver.
Warek gets a small pile of coins from corpse of the salesman.

Now I asked for the money back, it's not the few copper that he took that bothers me.. it's the principal of the matter...

You tell Warek 'i'm not grouped with you.. please giveme my money.'

His response..

Warek tells you 'Im afk, but i have logged your tell:) |I have been afk fer 2 hr and 34 min'

If the people who have those triggers wanna use them in zones, and the zones leader lets ya, that's fine.. but while yer standing at the inn afk???
It's very simple to turn these things off.. so please do so. People talk about the mud needing to be newbie friendly.. well if I had been a newbie and that happened.. Well let's just say it's not engouraging.
Alilsil
Sojourner

Postby Alilsil » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:07 pm

Wow that reply is awsome!! he got the best afk trigger evah1!!one!!1
:p

Usually i give back more then i loot when this happends.. i also turn my loot triggers off auto when afktrigger are activated..
This was a bug in my trigger set for that im sorry. That bug has been fixed

Talk to me again duna when online, and ill give ya back the cash...

The possitive point was i didnt steal your arrows!

Alilsil
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:16 pm

Why is it so hard to make an auto loot trigger that triggers off that?

-=-=-=-=-

Dear Staff/Shar,

Can we get a new rule that says if you loot someone elses kill that you weren't part of their group, you are fined 10p x your level, regardless of how much the actual mob loot was?

10p for level one techno thief.
500p for level 50th who should know by now how to make a trigger :P
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:50 am

i hate to be a kill joy on this...

most of the poeple that do this will pretty much just tell you to bugger off... not much we can do about that. i dont think a staff member will delete a char unless its happening constantly and they are getting multiple complaints... i do agree with the fact that its a problem tho.
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Raiwen
Sojourner

Postby Raiwen » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:01 am

Salen wrote:So Mori, tag ninja looting to bids... If you ninja loot, then cash is your bid and you sit out first round. That'd end it.

I love it!

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”