Windows XP Language Settings

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
kwirl
Sojourner

Windows XP Language Settings

Postby kwirl » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:37 am

I was playing with a friend's computer, and they asked me to shut down and remove the useless clutter and applications.

One of the things I did was to close down the language toolbar, which I had seen hiding somewhere, and assumed was not required. Well, fuck me, but it seems that it was required somehow. Now, all of the buttons and text on the computer is ascii gibberish. I tried a command-line system restore, but with no prior restore point, that was a bust. My next idea was to slave it to another HD running windows XP, which works, but none of the applications can be executed from the non-gibberish HD.

So now I have a computer with two hard drives, one of them is running in english, and the other is not. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? I feel kind of stupid staring at this OS that is entirely gibberish.
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:56 am

easiest thing to do is reinstall XP. Got my chinese friend's working just fine doing that.
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:00 am

yes, i know but i have windows xp, and the broken computer has windows xp sp2, so it says i have to lose all the old data in order to reinstall - im like wtf, are you serious?

i dont wanna lose some of the shit i have on the now gibber system
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:09 am

You may be screwed...

Could you maybe copy everything from the gibberish hard drive to the good one, then reinstall?

Best I can think of anyway... heh.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:18 am

yeah i might have to, but it pisses me off that all i need to do is make the language settings english again and id be good to go. who the hell does this kind of crap, gah :P
Marthammor
Staff Member - Areas
Location: On a Rocky Tor Overlooking a Storm-Ridden Landscape

Postby Marthammor » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:54 pm

Slipstream SP2 into your regular copy of Windows XP, effectivly making it a full version of Windows XP SP2.
Should be able to reinstall then.
muma
Sojourner

Kwirl the girl

Postby muma » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:53 pm

hey, i have multiple langs on this computer, hitting alt + shift is standard to switch between languages. try that. or go to control panel and go to the language options and just remove the other languages.

also, do you mean like, you cannot read english on anything? like it's all.... i don't know. i was just talking about switching languages on the keyboard.
Es gibt keinen Löffel!
Miax OOC: 'Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Shevarash.'

Return to “General Discussion Archive”