Charged items

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Charged items

Postby Hyldryn » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:43 am

I'd like a way to recharge wands and staves. Maybe through plat and/or sucking up xp.
Sonon
Sojourner

Postby Sonon » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:47 am

yeah that would be cool
-------------------------------------------------------
Alysia group-says 'Lilen immolates a terrified squirrel to a charred crisp with his devastating inferno!'
-------------------------------------------------------
Lilen group-says 'where are all da trolls i was promised'
Lilen has left the group.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:08 pm

I love charged items so I love this idea, but I don't know about its twinkability. Maybe have a worldload mob who disappears after recharging five items per boot or something? *shrug*
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:08 am

Also, you'd have to consider those chars who have like 3k% into level 50. Theoretically they could recharge items indefinitly. I suppose that could be considered a reward for doing all that xp tho.

Also, this would allow pleveling of mage types very easily. Imagine taking the jub staff and using it on ur low level mage alt. Recharge it with your high level char with a huge xp buffer and then hand it back to ur alt. Would really separate newbies from experienced players.

I like the idea, just needs some tweaking to fix these problems.
Marthammor
Staff Member - Areas
Location: On a Rocky Tor Overlooking a Storm-Ridden Landscape

Postby Marthammor » Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:07 pm

This is a nice idea and all, and I've thought of ways to do it.
Biggest problem, at least from my thinking, is having to add every wand/staff in the game and then keep it updated as new ones come in.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:39 pm

I thought there were a bunch of existing wands that alredy had stats for being recharged, but we just need a way to actually do it. For example when you ID the staff of gurgling water, it says it has something like 5 charges, but max charge capacity of 10 or so.
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:43 am

Some items were never meant to be recharged, such as the wand of thunderous rage found in a junk pile. I believe there are other wands that load without chages too. I even think one is dragonscales. Obviously such a wand was never meant to be rechargable.

This is a sweet idea though. Someone would need to go in and flag some items as !RECHARGE.

- Mike
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:16 pm

Last time this thread was started, I believe the consensus was that all the wands on Airship were definitely NOT meant to be recharged.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:28 pm

Ashiwi wrote:Last time this thread was started, I believe the consensus was that all the wands on Airship were definitely NOT meant to be recharged.

Killjoy. :evil:
Eilorn
Sojourner

Postby Eilorn » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:03 am

Yarash wrote:Some items were never meant to be recharged, such as the wand of thunderous rage found in a junk pile. I believe there are other wands that load without chages too. I even think one is dragonscales. Obviously such a wand was never meant to be rechargable.

I would argue that loading a wand uncharged would imply some quest was meant to have been implemented to charge it, but, it never happened. It would have been cool if, say, Celriya would have recharged the wand, given that wand and a silver fox tail. Something not meant to be recharged could have been implemented as a treasure/trash/other item.

Eilorn.
Now, we can do this the hard way, or... well, actually there's just the hard way.
-- Buffy, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:10 am

Eilorn wrote:I would argue that loading a wand uncharged would imply some quest was meant to have been implemented to charge it, but, it never happened.

If they had wanted a quest to recharge it it seems logical that they would have made a quest to recharge it when they made the item. Also, the people who made the items can't be expected to know if future code will exist or not. Therefore if wand recharging code is ever implemented, wands must not be rechargable past their default charge amount, regardless of if it is less than the maximum charges.

- Mike
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:52 pm

Yarash wrote:If they had wanted a quest to recharge it it seems logical that they would have made a quest to recharge it when they made the item. Also, the people who made the items can't be expected to know if future code will exist or not. Therefore if wand recharging code is ever implemented, wands must not be rechargable past their default charge amount, regardless of if it is less than the maximum charges.

- Mike

So then why even put an item in the game with 0 charges of X spell/effect on it? Why not simply call the item a wand or what-have-you and don't have any spell attached to it at all?

It seems more logical to attach a spell to an item with 0 charges if you are considering the possibility that recharge code will be implemented later on. Otherwise, it just doesn't make sense to take the time to code a 0 charge of X spell item.
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:18 am

Birile wrote:It seems more logical to attach a spell to an item with 0 charges if you are considering the possibility that recharge code will be implemented later on. Otherwise, it just doesn't make sense to take the time to code a 0 charge of X spell item.

Different things make sense to different people. We can probably both agree on that at this point.

To me, making an item simply as a prop makes sense. Making an item for code that doesn't exist and with no plans for implementation, does not.

However, regardless of the intent of the zone designers, points and approval will be needed. Items that are lying on the ground where anyone can get them have zero points. Wands with zero charges of dragonscales, inferno, etc, would not only need points, but approval, and such approval would be hard to get. This is not an opinion, but simply how it is.

- Mike
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:52 pm

I bet if you asked Savras, he'd probably tell you he put in those wands on Airship with those amazing spells and 0 charges BECAUSE he knew they wouldn't be rechargable. There's no way he'd drop an arsenal like that in the game if he thought it would ever be used. They're probably there more for the "OH DAMN.... oh... damn" effect. Well, that and the fact that mages of that power would carry awfully powerful wands, but that doesn't mean wands that powerful should be available and/or useable in the game.

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:55 am

he'd put them in with 0 charges cuz he has a sense of balance...just like spob is balanced.
Dornax says 'And for the right amount of information ye might get some nookie out of Nokie..'

Nokie wiggles his bottom.
Teba tells you 'let me do my job you volo twinker!'
Bobidibble GCC: 'yeah i admit gura is a better warrior then i am, no shame in it... perhaps someday i shall be as pimp'
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:16 am

Gura wrote:he'd put them in with 0 charges cuz he has a sense of balance...just like spob is balanced.

This is not constructive criticism.

- Mike
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:48 pm

im with gura
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:01 am

i'm with yarash. i know your game.
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:30 pm

with reguard to the items that are not ment to recharge simply make it to where any item that has 0 charges cannot be charged.. and that is all wands. so 1 charge wands ohwell goodbye. also the idea was brought up that once a wand is recharged that it looses 1 of its max charges. thus taking the twinkability of it down. there is a thread lost somewhere in the archives all about it. i suggest some people read it and try and branch off of that or something.
Lim
Sojourner

Postby Lim » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:08 am

why not make it so the low level character trying to use a wand of a spell circle he has not mastered has some large % chance to fail in using that wand?
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:42 pm

I'd rather see the wand backlash on the user, or explode, personally.

rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:39 am

Wand explosions like Misty!

That would keep lowbies from using them - the chance of 3-400 damage on an exploding item? Oof, that hurts my 40+ chars, not to mention my <20 chars...

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”