Using Macintosh to write a web site

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
kwirl
Sojourner

Using Macintosh to write a web site

Postby kwirl » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:49 pm

Someone wants me to do some cosmetic work on a pre-existing web site, and after popping into ftp to pull out the index.html file, the page won't open in notepad.txt, rather parts appear to be replaced with ascii code.

is there software to use a pc to view/change a page originally created on or with a macintosh?
Bilraex
Sojourner

Postby Bilraex » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:11 pm

youre best bet is using an actual text editor, notepad is basically a gui to DOS edit and is straight crap, things like UltraEdit and the other 100 text editors know what to do with ascii codes
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:33 am

There is a PC program named ASCon-A "The Mac-to-Win-and-back text converter". It is a small freeware program, and it does a great job. I use it all the time.

http://www.medienwerkstatt-online.de

Click on downloads, then scroll down to the bottom of the page.

- Mike
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:53 am

thanks a ton!
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:28 pm

that fucker tricked me! he isn't using macintosh, he wrote it on linux, so its a llf or something system? linux line feed maybe? you got any tricks on that one yarash? :)
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:34 pm

I've never had any problems going back and forth between windows and unix systems with plain text. The only disclaimed to that is that UNIX and Windows handle newlines a little differently, Windows does a carriage reterun then a line feed while unix just does a carriage return or something like that. I don't see how that would screw up the file the way you are saying it does though...

There is a program on... well at least on Solaris UNIX called rmbs. It should fix up the carriage return/line feed thing on a text file so that windows can look at it...

However, have you tried the ultra simple solution of just going to the website and viewing source to see if you get something nicer?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:55 pm

yes, when I go to the web site and take the source code I can read it, but for the purpose of ftping the files back and forth, I don't want to use tertiary code, I want to edit the primary file directly.

when i pull the index.htm file out via ftp, and attempt to open the file in notepad, it has unrecognized characters.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:00 pm

kwirl wrote:yes, when I go to the web site and take the source code I can read it, but for the purpose of ftping the files back and forth, I don't want to use tertiary code, I want to edit the primary file directly.

when i pull the index.htm file out via ftp, and attempt to open the file in notepad, it has unrecognized characters.

That's just... odd.

There's always telnet and vi! ;)
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Shargaas
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Shargaas » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:16 am

Windows does just a Carriage Return
Linux/Unix does a CR and Newline
Macs used to do just a Newline, not sure if that changed in OSX

Notepad is a holdover from about 10 yrs ago, have you tried a more modern text editor?
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:57 am

hrm like objectpad or something?
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:21 am

There is a windows text editor called Context that is not too bad. I use it to open log files when they are several megabytes big.

There should be tons of text editors though. Go to versiontracker.com or download.com and search for "text editor".

- Mike
Eilorn
Sojourner

Postby Eilorn » Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:19 am

Actually it's:

Linux/Unix - LF (0xA)
Windows - CR LF (0xD 0xA)
Mac - CR (0xD)

Eilorn
Now, we can do this the hard way, or... well, actually there's just the hard way.
-- Buffy, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Return to “General Discussion Archive”