Advertising!

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Advertising!

Postby Cyric » Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:36 pm

It is officially time for us to start advertising. The website is up and running in a reasonably complete format, and we should do everything we can to recruit players. That said, I'd like the following:

1. If you have any pull with free advertising companies, banners, etc, please advertise away...you have our full approval to go forth and sing our praises.

2. If you have any ideas about how to recruit players, please post and we'll follow up on anything that sounds promising.

3. Bring some of your buddies online...find those that have addictive personalities and get them hooked!

4. We need to be posted on all of the gaming sites...anyone that wants to spend the time to do this is welcome to...also, if we're posted somewhere, go out and write a favorable review for us...can't hurt!

5. Convince all of your buddies that graphic RPGs are bad for their eyes, will stunt their growth, and cause impotence.

C
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:12 am

Can't download the .psd for some reason.
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:20 am

My first suggestion is that you submit the site to the DMOZ and Mud Connector so people can start writing reviews or cross-linking from the same DMOZ section, and find it with search engines, etc.
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ
repugnanttroll
Sojourner

Postby repugnanttroll » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:27 am

If you can dig it up from the old admin BBS, there's a 2 page post I wrote chock full of ideas for an advertising campaign. It was really elaborate but nicely ignored at the time.
Cruk
Sojourner

Postby Cruk » Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:04 pm

Get it listed, advertised and voted for on www.kyndig.com . I'm sure those people are your target audience(they're already sensitized to addiction and ansii !) :lol:
Cruk
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:06 am

We are now listed on mudconnector, topmudsites, and kyndig. Please visit the sites and post (favorable) reviews where appropriate!

Furthermore, we have a little button on the bottom of our website (www.torilmud.org for the confused) that allows you to vote for us at topmudsites.com. Vote early, vote often!

Other suggestions are welcome. Anyone willing to do free advertising on their own heavily visited sites is welcome to post whatever you'd like including the little vote button.

Governor Cyric.
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:19 pm

We're certainly not trying to be annoying or ram this down your throats, but the more advertising we get, the more new players we get, and the larger our pbase is, the better it is for everyone!

We're currently #20 on topmudsites, and we had 20 true newbies online last night! Please go click on the VOTE button on our homepage...you can vote every 12 hours.

The button takes you to this page if you just want to cut/paste into your own heavily visited site:

http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topm ... gi?id=shev

Advertising Exec Cyric
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:43 pm

It's really a shame the top mudsite on that list is being accused of being in Diku license violation similar to Medieva.

Let's hope they loose their case and the site owner removes them from the list as well. Torilmud (currently 19th now) will move up a slot!

-Caedym Shadowhock
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:52 pm

If i run around my office and vote for your mud on each of the 40 computers here every day for a week can i have an artifact?
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Branthur
Sojourner

Postby Branthur » Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:54 pm

Already did that at the library that I work at Thanuk. ;)
Colje
Sojourner

Postby Colje » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:42 pm

Branthur wrote:Already did that at the library that I work at Thanuk. ;)

ROFL!!
Bilraex
Sojourner

Postby Bilraex » Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:19 pm

yas i offered to vote from every ip on both of my class c's for pshift, didnt happen :(
Cruk
Sojourner

Postby Cruk » Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:58 pm

Rocking, we're now number 5 on topmudsites.com!
:D

Cruk(I don't play but I can still vote)
Nassis
Sojourner

Postby Nassis » Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:52 pm

Pfft. I could vote from (wild guess) 5-700 ip-addresses. List says 973 local puters and I think I can access like 50-80% of them. Would take pwb for illusionists for me to do it tho. And snake upgrades!

Nah. :)

(I _have_ voted once, tho. The mud deserves that :)
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:19 pm

Here is the link for Toril at kyndig
http://www.kyndig.com/listings/game/609
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:04 pm

Topmudsites just reset their counter. We were well ensconsed at #5, and can easily get right back up there!

Vote for us at

Iduna
Sojourner

Postby Iduna » Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:14 pm

Cyric wrote:Topmudsites just reset their counter. We were well ensconsed at #5, and can easily get right back up there!

Vote for us at

Woot! and now We're #1!! *cheer*
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:40 pm

I've been to a couple of sites that have you click on a text link to some other company. The site receives a certain amount of cash (eg. 6 cents) per click. Anyone have any experience with that? It's not so much advertising ourselves as it is advertising for other folks, but it makes us money with which we can advertise with banners all over the place.
kyndig
Sojourner

Postby kyndig » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:00 am

You're also number 20 on Kyndig.Com Rate list. :D :D :D

From time to time I'll meander through websites which are sending traffic to kyndig.com. Just as an FYI, your website here is sending some good traffic to us; Thanks! This is one of the things we look for in our choosings of Game of the Month. The Game of The Month winners have all reported receiving an increase in new players from the kyndig.com website. I just wanted to post a quick reply with a few things that you folks can benefit from:

Free banners: I see your banners in a post above. You can have these banners rotating free of charge by visiting our free banner engine.

Use the Rate Us link: As a game lister, we do not place in the spotlight those games with the most players, instead, we place in the spotlight those games with the best ratings. Ask your players to vote SUPERIOR once a day, and you'll be quickly on your way to earning a top spotlight.

Drop in a "What is A..?" suggestion: Folks havn't caught onto this one yet. But a good way to advertise your game is by suggesting in our listing area what a MUD, MUCK, MUSH, MOO is. That's 4 categories * 30 (+) pages of free advertising there.

As another poster has mentioned. The primary focus is to get listed in dmoz.org. A majority of search engines use dmoz to start their spidering. MudConnector and TopMudSites are other sites to get a good focus on.

Also, you'll want to set your site up for success with the google bot. You already have a forum system here, but do not have a robots.txt file. Do a little research and write your robots.txt file. =)

Good luck!
Embrace The Addiction!,
Kyndig
http://www.kyndig.com/
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:36 pm

Thanks!

My goal is to implement all of the above, and I've just created and submitted a new animated banner to Kyndig (takes a couple of days for it to be approved). If any of you would like to use it for your own pages, you can see/download it here:

www.torilmud.org/animlogo5.gif

And as mentioned, if one (or more) of you could take it upon yourself to vote SUPERIOR for us once a day, we'll rocket up to the top of the heap.

Thanks again to Kyndig for taking the time to visit and browse.
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:46 pm

Working on that, but we'll see. For whatever reason I'm not figuring out quite how to do that. I have the image all set, and you can view it in all its glory at
www.torilmud.org/votelogo.html

We've also:
    -added a robots.txt file as suggested
    -made a submission to dmoz.org
    -submitted a "what is a mud..." entry for kyndig.com
    -Auril and Eilistraee have written an article about MUDs (with specific mention about ours) for inclusion in ADnD.com

Wish us luck!

Roy
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:56 pm

Many of you have been very complimentary and eloquent in your praise of our game in the past.

I was hoping some of you would take the time to visit www.kyndig.com or www.mudconnector.com and review us/post about us.

If you take the time to browse those sites, you'll see that the general reviews of other MUDs are pretty lame. I know we can do better than that! If you happen to write a review, please pop me a mmail so that I can check it out. Thanks.

Cyric
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:00 pm

Hey, thanks to Shevarash I've finally got it working. If you're using Chronicles as your template for the BBS you should now see a spanky logo up top for voting at kyndig and topmudsites.

I assume subsilver is what most other folks use, and we'll hopefully get something working there as well.

Edit 11/17:

OK, I have it working on the SubSilver pages as well, and there's now an image map such that you can click on the "TorilMud" part of the image and return to the main BBS page like before. Enjoy, and please make use of the image!
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:43 pm

Keep voting, right now we're just 1 vote ahead of that other mud that is lurking on our tails.
Lilithelle stops using a softly throbbing piece of flesh.
Gura group-says 'ill go solo the biznatch, just don't tell Stamm'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:58 pm

I put your banner on my website. :)

www.excessiveuseofforce.com

Now I just need some content... or like, a reason for people to go there... or something.
<I>When a man lies, he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths, which men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?</I>
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:53 am

I hear we have had a few players come from topmudsites? Unfortunately our ranking just slipped out of the top 10 which means most people won't see us listed :( VOTE!
Keran
Sojourner

Re: Advertising!

Postby Keran » Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:31 pm

Cyric wrote:... stunt their growth, and cause impotence.

C

Going limp...
Yarthra
Sojourner

Postby Yarthra » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:57 am

Just thought to remind someone, whomever is in charge of advertising, to update the web page at kyndig.com and topmudsites.com ;)
voted and they have old web addy's listed ;)
moritheil
Sojourner

Re: Advertising!

Postby moritheil » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:43 pm

Cyric wrote:It is officially time for us to start advertising. The website is up and running in a reasonably complete format, and we should do everything we can to recruit players. That said, I'd like the following:

1. If you have any pull with free advertising companies, banners, etc, please advertise away...you have our full approval to go forth and sing our praises.

2. If you have any ideas about how to recruit players, please post and we'll follow up on anything that sounds promising.

3. Bring some of your buddies online...find those that have addictive personalities and get them hooked!

4. We need to be posted on all of the gaming sites...anyone that wants to spend the time to do this is welcome to...also, if we're posted somewhere, go out and write a favorable review for us...can't hurt!

5. Convince all of your buddies that graphic RPGs are bad for their eyes, will stunt their growth, and cause impotence.

C

http://torilmud.dyndns.org:8080/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=13397

I'd like to point readers to this excellent post by Areandon.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
kragt
Sojourner

Postby kragt » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:19 pm

How bout throwing up a website at torilmud.org somewhere that forwards people to this one? And putting a program on that box that responds to any connection on port 9999 with the new address. Someone has to have a box that can be used as a placeholder until the mud switches back to torilmud.org.
Altan
Sojourner

zmud

Postby Altan » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:30 am

Was just wondering, has Anyone ever contacted Zmud and got him to put Sojourn in his Program as a main mud? I am just curious what the cost might be.. But I see Gem and Medivial in there.

Altan
Viclor Voddyn
Sojourner

Postby Viclor Voddyn » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:33 pm

We not even in the top 15 right now :( VOTE!!!
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Mon May 31, 2004 9:54 am

so i hear all of you guy's bosting about having 40/100 ip adress's that you can vote from... what if i were just to set up my computer to ping the site from each of my 1000 ip adress's i can access via T1.... what would i get?

(psill talk my dad into doing this at his workstation too)
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Duard
Sojourner

Postby Duard » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:26 am

please ignore this, I boboed. again proving I am the one and ONLY
Duard DUmbguARD
Last edited by Duard on Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duard
Sojourner

Postby Duard » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:27 am

amolol wrote:so i hear all of you guy's bosting about having 40/100 ip adress's that you can vote from... what if i were just to set up my computer to ping the site from each of my 1000 ip adress's i can access via T1.... what would i get?

(psill talk my dad into doing this at his workstation too)

Hrm... Intresting terry, except you only have direct access to a single ip address, Your dad however does have access to several class b blocks, but most of those are assigned to customers, gee I only have a /29 block. remember Amolol, if your ip address starts with 198.162.xxx.xxx Your dad has you behind a nat server, and you apear as his inhome gateway. I suggest you do not claim what you can not back up. remember your Dad is my brother.

Ps, you ask us to recruit friends family and others with the addictiive personality. Amolol is an example of recruiting, maby not the best one, but an example none the less.
Crumar
Sojourner

Postby Crumar » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:56 am

Any updates on the advertising front?
Click on the links below and vote for this mud!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topm ... gi?id=shev
The Mud Connector: http://www.mudconnect.com/cgi-bin/vote_ ... ner's+Home
MudMagic (aka Kyndig): http://www.mudmagic.com/listings/game/609
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:23 am

We can get a little icon next to our listing in the rankings at 5 bucks a month, or 30 for 7 months.

We can also get a 468x60 banner displayed at the top (in the rotation) for 30/month or 150 for 7 months.

180 bucks for 7 months of graphical advertising isn't much...all we need is 40 people willing to give up 5 bucks twice a year.

We also need some sort of banner. Since the new logo design contest has ended, I haven't seen any form of one.

And as always...there's my zMUD button code in the clients forum.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:09 pm

Also might be worth seeing how much it costs to place an ad in your old college newspaper. . .College is when I got addicted.

Now somebody go draw a nice logo that will show up in newsprint so I can take my own advice.
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:01 am

Hello all, I just tried to copy the signature that a few players are using with the links to the vote sites and it's a pain in the rump to get it just right. So to save you the trouble of doing what I just did, this is the text you want. Enjoy. Oh, and we now have paid advertising space on TopMudSites.

http://www.torilmud.org/areas/signature.txt
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:39 am

Nice work on the banner! Now, if you could only make a shameless OOTS-clone flash banner like the other ones..*nod me*.

Joking. :P Great job, glad to see the staff taking a more active role in the voting area again!
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:18 pm

Awesome. Hmm, I wonder if we would in fact get people from OOTS if we tried.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'

Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'

Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:38 pm

Is there any way to track how many hits the banner gets or do we just take a leap of faith and figure it is working?
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:24 pm

haha i got torilmud onto slashdot. i rule. can i get my eq back? :P
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:48 pm

Now that the fall semester is about to start, it's time to think about recruitment yet again. Many of us started in computer labs on campuses around the world, so I thought why not create a flier we could post to try to lure folks in. I've created the following in 8x10 format, and if anyone wants to post a version here with little tear-offs at the bottom, feel free. The art is copyrighted, but I got permission from the artist to use it (go figure). So, anyone have a burning desire to print/post these around the globe?

Klandal
Sojourner

Lawsuits

Postby Klandal » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:37 pm

Wouldn't using that flier globally bring in lots of false advertising claims or is there an update you aren't telling us? :P
Ivac ASSOC:: 'man, i'd love to be a woman'
Ivac ASSOC:: 'multiple orgasms'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:57 pm

Is there anything on the flyer that says it's Tiamat? We have a few hydras in the game that I know of.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:24 am

If your trying to lure random people to the mud (i.e. those who aren't brought to the mud by friends like most of us were), then you are going to need to give better instructions on how to actually access the mud. Try putting "torilmud.org:9999" in your IE browser and see where it takes you. Don't assume that everyone knows what telnet is.

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:28 am

*bump*
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:25 am

Monday December 5th, 7:30pm

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
[18 Enchanter ] Edzay (Drow Elf)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

You group-say 'so, how did you find this place? :)'

Edzay group-says 'by typing forgotten realms mud on google'

Edzay is a cool guy, we need more Edzay's!
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:47 pm

Heh, that dude only rolled up on Friday night. Not bad to get 18 levels already.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”