Soul Walk

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Botef
Sojourner

Soul Walk

Postby Botef » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:58 am

Can this spell please be adjusted so preseve/embalm doesnt make it unusable?
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:05 am

they did that so you can't use the corpse as a beacon of sorts so I was told...
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:06 am

Just annoying when someone presses a corpse before group has decided to ress or soul walk and you cant do squat.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:48 am

Yeah, would be nice if a corpse had 2 timers, the one for pres/rotting, the 2nd a set 18 hour beacon, pres'd or not, that you could *walk to.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:54 pm

I think it's reasonable that if you mess it up by pressing too bad. You have to be pretty slow on the uptake to pres in a zone where you need soul walk / have bought a soul walker. In which case, you just need to res instead and wait a few mins, not so bad. I guess if someone presed your only cleric that had died in BC that could be a problem, but it would be a dilemma bought on yourself, same as taking a key inside. I really think tho you can't be too pampering or things get stale when you can just clutz along and everything is still fine. On the other hand, I'm not sure being able to swalk to pressed corpses would cause a problem, I think the using corpse as a trans target is more applicable to spirit walk than soul walk, seeing how you need someone at the corpse anyhow to bring people in. So maybe making it possible to soul walk to a pressed corpse could just help streamline smiting of zones for fun for everyone. SHRUG. You could keep a pressed corpse in useful places like say one at viper one at WD, however if you can get a necro to soul walk you, you can prolly get a mage to take you just as easily.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:17 pm

Sarell wrote:I think it's reasonable that if you mess it up by pressing too bad. You have to be pretty slow on the uptake to pres in a zone where you need soul walk / have bought a soul walker. In which case, you just need to res instead and wait a few mins, not so bad. I guess if someone presed your only cleric that had died in BC that could be a problem, but it would be a dilemma bought on yourself, same as taking a key inside. I really think tho you can't be too pampering or things get stale when you can just clutz along and everything is still fine. On the other hand, I'm not sure being able to swalk to pressed corpses would cause a problem, I think the using corpse as a trans target is more applicable to spirit walk than soul walk, seeing how you need someone at the corpse anyhow to bring people in. So maybe making it possible to soul walk to a pressed corpse could just help streamline smiting of zones for fun for everyone. SHRUG. You could keep a pressed corpse in useful places like say one at viper one at WD, however if you can get a necro to soul walk you, you can prolly get a mage to take you just as easily.

I understand the logic behind making it so you cant use a corpse as a target, but keep in mind that soul walking doesn't bring EQ with you. It also only works on the most recent corpse to my understanding. Thus, leaving a corpse in VT or WD as a target would be pretty useless unless you leave your EQ on it, not to mention once a corpse is looted soul walk no longer functions, which tosses the whole beacon concept out the window unless someone leaves an unlooted corpse somewhere or dies naked for that purpose.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:25 pm

c 'soul walk' pcorpse.
Move a few rooms.
Gsay ok, in position, worm me.
Wormhole shows.
Group enters.
Leader returns eq.
Leader group-says 'ok, spell up'.

Still easily abusable.
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:29 pm

That still requires the necromancer to reach the corpse...Why wouldnt the group in that situation just worm the necromancer? If nothing else add a timer as Thilindel said or something to that effect.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:10 pm

hehe can I say suck it up? At least you have the spell?? I'm sure some of the older liches wouldn't have liched if they knew what was coming for necros ....

Sorry but most of the newer ideas include making things even easier than they already are ...

btw this is NOT meant as a flame .. a personal opinion is all it is ...
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:27 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Shaman spell spirit walk have the same restrictions about being pressed?
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:30 pm

Llaaldara wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Shaman spell spirit walk have the same restrictions about being pressed?

sure does, and we never bitched ....

lets perma pres a landmark in Scorps, shall we? make it tons easier ...
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:32 pm

Ambar wrote:
Llaaldara wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Shaman spell spirit walk have the same restrictions about being pressed?

sure does, and we never bitched ....

lets perma pres a landmark in Scorps, shall we? make it tons easier ...

Suck it up is right then.
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:31 am

Gonna let this one go, but Id still like to point out the fact that a corpse pressed in scorps does JACK SHIT as a beacon when a necromancer has to be at the corpse. If I have to sneak my ass in, your just gonna worm to me anyways. No different then a rogue sneaking in and being a target or a cleric going in and ressing the corpse, except a necro cant sneak and would undoubtly get there ass kicked in the process. I fail to see your argument with beacons and SOUL WALK. Spirit walk is another matter, and has nothing to do with it short of it being a similar type of spell.

Non the less, consider this thread dead.
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:52 am

You cant compare soul walk and spirit walk. Ofcourse spirit walk should never have it.

I have self "used" sprit walk in periods with boots every half hour and a corpse in muspel.

Soul walk can't be misused in the same way. Therefore I wouldn't mind it was changed.
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:15 am

Exactly.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:57 am

spirit walk TAKES YOU TO A CORPSE, allowing people to spirit walk to pressed corpses would be broken.

soul walk BRINGS YOU TO THE NECROMANCER WHO IS STANDING AT YOUR CORPSE AND YOU ARE NAKED AND NOT A LICH

The only twink I can think of with soul walk is you could leave corpses in a zone, send your eq in with a small group then soul walk a group in after the fact... The point, I' not sure. It would be the only thing you could do that you can't do now, and note again, you'd have to send your eq in first with the necromancer.
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:05 am

Well, here's one possible scenario. You want to check a certain zone for rares, but it's not easy to get in, and even harder to get back out again without dying or killing some difficult stuff. But you only need the rogue to look for the items before determining if it takes a full group to go.

So you have a necromancer hang out at your preserved corpse from some other trip, go and conduct your scouting and if it comes up empty, allow yourself to get soul walked back out of the zone.

Just one example.
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:17 am

Oooh, Eli. . .can we twink together? That is a good idea :)
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:48 am

:)
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:30 pm

Eilistraee wrote:Well, here's one possible scenario. You want to check a certain zone for rares, but it's not easy to get in, and even harder to get back out again without dying or killing some difficult stuff. But you only need the rogue to look for the items before determining if it takes a full group to go.

So you have a necromancer hang out at your preserved corpse from some other trip, go and conduct your scouting and if it comes up empty, allow yourself to get soul walked back out of the zone.

Just one example.

.... ok but how is that any different than just having your rogue camp there in the zone? Seems to me that the solution would just be to make the zone in question send you to that NOCAMP holding cell instead? Your really trading having a necro camped in zone for a rogue camped in zone either way someone is camped and rogue is a lot easier to level =).

... and i do agree with rest of folks, if your group is stupid enough to press a corpse then ress them. I just fail to see how the spell could be abused in any real substantive way.
rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:14 pm

Eilistraee wrote:Well, here's one possible scenario. You want to check a certain zone for rares, but it's not easy to get in, and even harder to get back out again without dying or killing some difficult stuff. But you only need the rogue to look for the items before determining if it takes a full group to go.

Just one example.

So, rather than that, you just have the rogue die, go into the zone naked (cuz, does he/she really need eq to hide?) and get ressed back out when done checking for rares. No real difference there. And a pressed corpse can be ressed, so it doesnt even need to be a recent corpse that the rogue is using...
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:32 pm

Seems to me Soul Walk isnt really any more abusable then ress is, with a few variations. First, Soul Walk only works on the most recent corpse, making it less abusable then ress would be. On the other hand, you can Soul Walk the most recent corpse multiple times as long as it's undisturbed.

My suggestion is make soul walk only function once on a corpse, as it really doesnt need to work multiple times, and change it so preserve/embalm doesnt ruin the ability to use the corpse.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:50 pm

Well that sounds cool.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:01 am

ummm...

spirit walk, the shaman spell, only works on the most recent corpse i believe...

soul walk, the necro spell, as far as i know works on any unpreserved corpse...
rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:23 am

kiryan wrote:spirit walk, the shaman spell, only works on the most recent corpse i believe...

That is definitely true. I've tested.
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:50 am

kiryan wrote:ummm...

spirit walk, the shaman spell, only works on the most recent corpse i believe...

soul walk, the necro spell, as far as i know works on any unpreserved corpse...

Non the less, as long as soul walk is a one shot per corpse deal, its not any more abusable then ress is.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:33 am

I'm pretty sure you can use Soul Walk on the same corpse multiple times as long as it isn't preserved (so unlimited until it rots in 2 hours). I have not tested this recently, but I'm pretty sure i did it several months ago.
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:03 am

Yes, you can, thats why Im suggesting changing that to a one-shot per corpse, and changing it so preserve/embalm doesnt negate its uses.

I cant think of very many scenarios where you would need to soul walk an individual to their corpse multiple times within a 2 hour time frame unless they die again and a new corpse is created (which is mute), and Id personally rather it worked once on a preserved corpse than work unlimited times on an unpreserved one.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:47 pm

The difference between soul walk and res would be that you could do it 20 times and lose 0% exp instead of 100% (counting on !failed res). The 1 off thing on soul walk would help this, however I think it would actually make the spell worse than it is. Currently you can keep a corpse handy to get your rogue in if they die, several times. Where as currently the only problem is if someone preses it when they shouldn't.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:39 pm

Once on a preserved corpse that was created less than 2 hours ago I could see.. Once on any preserved corpse I think is going too far.

Why don't we just make soul walk work on any corpse created less than 2 hours ago (create time not game time) or whatever the rot timer is on an disturbed unpressed corpse.

You protect the noobs from the group's wrath, you eliminate the soul walking of someone 45 hours later...
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:53 pm

kiryan wrote: Why don't we just make soul walk work on any corpse created less than 2 hours ago (create time not game time) or whatever the rot timer is on an disturbed unpressed corpse.

That would be 18 hours. *tog helpful*
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:08 pm

Why don't we just make soul walk work on any corpse created less than 2 hours ago (create time not game time) or whatever the rot timer is on an disturbed unpressed corpse.

2ish hours
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:12 pm

That sounds like a good solution Kiryan, just so long as it still works up to 18 hours on an undisturbed unpressed corpse (which would go without saying I would assume).
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:28 pm

Botef has a good thread here. It is dumb when people get that twitch to embalm or pres a corpse without being told and ruins that aspect of use. People should not be allowed to take it upon themselves to ruin a spell option for other people. It really makes no sense what difference that should make anyways, if anything a pressed corpse should make it a better target logically speaking.

I like the idea of seperate timers for this - like a new rot timer exceot for spirit/soul connections. Except 18 hours would be too much. 2 hours would be more reasonable, same as looted corpse rot. I would much rather see, "The link between the soul and this corpse has faded beyond your abilities." after 2 hours pressed or not, instead of "This corpse has been magically tampered with." or whatever the far fetched lie sounding reasoning was.

There is really only one good twink for this spell (which I am not going to post here of course), but no twinking abilities would change or be enhanced if the seperate timer was implemented, so that is not an issue.

As for making your corpse a beacon, have at it all you want for 2 hours just like an unpressed corpse, wouldn't hurt anything, all things considered. All that would do is make it so other people can't take it upon themselves to make your spell unusable, and allow necros and shaman with this spell not have to worry about thier corpse rotting while they use it for whatever reasons. After all they did just die, so gaining a little ground for that death in a zoning situation would be a small bonus to the spell also for a full two hours pressed, instead of 1.5 then press it to be safe.

* Zoom
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:37 am

Why not just make pres/embalm consent only? That'd both remove the ability for a clerical class to screw up the spells mentioned, but it'd also remove jackasses sitting in the morgue with presbots running for 14 hours at a time, pressing failed res corpses from 6 months ago.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:52 am

Yasden wrote:Why not just make pres/embalm consent only? That'd both remove the ability for a clerical class to screw up the spells mentioned, but it'd also remove jackasses sitting in the morgue with presbots running for 14 hours at a time, pressing failed res corpses from 6 months ago.

Problem with that is like what happened to Kifle a while back. He died in Muspel from %%. Didn't get back on for days. His corpse rotted. With consent only, that type of death would suck if someone couldn't pres ya. I think what would kick ass is if after the 18 hours, rather than have a corpse just rot, you could 'pray' or something and pay a hell of a fee (fee relative to both level and eq worn' So a decked out char could cost 20k maybe. In a lot of cases, it'd be worth it. Doubt it'd happen but sure would be nice.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:06 am

Sounds like a good solution to eq inflation to me.

No reason why you can't log into the public library machine and e-mail someone you know or log into your guildbbs/MUD bbs and send a message or post something.

18 hours is a helluva long time. My original statement was just an idea, remember.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:28 am

Botef wrote:That sounds like a good solution Kiryan, just so long as it still works up to 18 hours on an undisturbed unpressed corpse (which would go without saying I would assume).

I don't know why anyone would need a soul walk more than 2 hours after they died... soul walk is a spell for keeping a group moving in a !tele zone... its not a transportation spell. in those very few situations where someone might have gone %% and came back 4 hours later, ress them....

consent to press is a bad idea. I'd much more be in favor of the spell just not working than to add this much idiocy to trying to get corpses protected. why do corpses rot anyways, such a waste of time to pres them.
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:49 am

True, Id sacrifice the additional 16 hours just to have pres not disrupt the spell.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”