Suggestion: !id items and item downgrades

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
saeryf
Sojourner

Suggestion: !id items and item downgrades

Postby saeryf » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:50 pm

Given that a certain item was recently downgraded (without specific mention in the news) and that said item is not identifiable, I would like to make the suggestion that the item lose the !id flag *or* be flagged !sell?

Reasoning:
1) Item is !id and was perceived as a valuable commodity
2) Downgrade was not specifically stated
3) Considering #2, the only people who have solid information regarding the downgrade are those that (a) currently possess said items, or (b) have been told by the former group about said downgrade.
4) Given the above, this had lead to a large percentage of the populace having a now skewed perception of the value of the item
5) To that effect, the auction has become a means of *effectively* scamming people for larger sums of platinum than the purchaser would otherwise pay considering the revised statistics.

Conclusions:
- players that feel scammed are not happy players
- the larger, ignorant portion of the player base should be educated or at least given the means of becoming informed *without* requiring possession of the contended item
- an easily remedied situation created by an oversight and dishonest players warrants such a minor change

While i am not advocating that the gods babysit and/or attempt to correct any prior or pending transactions, I am suggesting that measures be taken - per the original suggestion but possibly even including a restring of offending items - such that a subset of the populace cannot take advantage of the larger section of the player base due the circumstances.

Thanks in advance to the IMMs for any consideration(s) given.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:57 pm

maybe all !id items should be !sell

why do we even have !id? presumnably to hide the luck/karam stats?

maybe the news should report any item that is changed (but not the new stats).
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:21 pm

!id instruments are the ultimate sillyness.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:54 pm

8)

In a game where your physical strength is put into numbers and you can see that number, it's strange that some items you can see the numbers and others you cannot.
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:01 pm

An advice could be to ask people about stats before you buy !id.

I'm sorry for what happened though. If I on auction channel see something similar again then I'll send a tell.
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:24 pm

kiryan wrote:why do we even have !id? presumnably to hide the luck/karam stats?

why not ask an easier question like the meaning of life? Seriously though what is the point of !id items, weapons especially. Worn items, only people who aren't high enough level to see their stats can't figure out the stats of an item.
Marthammor
Staff Member - Areas
Location: On a Rocky Tor Overlooking a Storm-Ridden Landscape

Postby Marthammor » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:25 pm

As a follow-up, the new items have new ansi and should be in soonish.
The old items will still have the old ansi.
shalath
Sojourner

Postby shalath » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:42 pm

Marthammor wrote:As a follow-up, the new items have new ansi and should be in soonish.
The old items will still have the old ansi.

Woah. Hang on a second. So the old stuff which has old ansi (and still still has old stats?) is just impossible to get any more? Or is staying in and new stuff is being added?

If the first...well, bah I say. Bah indeed.

-thalash
[Profile edited by Board Admin. If you can't be civil, we'll fix it for you. -ed]
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:34 pm

If it's the item im thinking of, it was downgraded to complete garbage. So, even if they're not possible to get, noone over level 2 would want it anyways.
rarlaj
Sojourner

Postby rarlaj » Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:22 am

if it is the item that i am thinking about ...

the item was put on auction for 50 plat...

it was not the intent of the person selling it (me) to screw anyone...

if i wanted to screw the masses... i'd put it on for 2k like i paid for them before the changes...

my apologizes to those that feel slighted...

Rarlaj/Nejina
Rarlaj - Athiyk Cretok - Orbdrin D'oloth
Marthammor
Staff Member - Areas
Location: On a Rocky Tor Overlooking a Storm-Ridden Landscape

Postby Marthammor » Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:16 pm

Here's the deal for anyone that doesn't know what items people keep hinting about.
The items from Maskul in ZK were very easy to twink and were therefore changed.
Yes, they are pretty crappy now. What do you expect for maybe ten minutes of work?
The fight was fixed (hopefully), copies of the old items with the old stats made and loaded. Both versions have the original names, however the old items kept the old ansi while the new items got new ansi.
Lahgen
Sojourner

Postby Lahgen » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:02 pm

Here's what I think:

1. Make it rareload, and then give it similar stats as the kelemvor symbol, sans the called proc.

2. Make it !bit (if it isn't already), so all classes can wear it for +style at least.
Kesena OOC: 'i wish my daddy bought me power tools'
Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone
Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'

Rather than seeing "subpar race/class," see "challenge."
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:02 am

NOID items exist to preserve what few shreds of mystery exist in the game. In short, you could say they exist to create doubt. How can you be sure that all your gear is the best, if you don't know what all gear does? You can't. You can only wear different combinations of gear and see what happens.

Of course, this would really work better if more of the best gear in the game was NOID. Ah well.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:15 am

Yeah, they should hide all your stats, saves, hp, and movement from view too. Also, maybe get rid of your status showing up on glance. Zoning like that would be fun.
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:27 am

Hyldryn wrote:Yeah, they should hide all your stats, saves, hp, and movement from view too. Also, maybe get rid of your status showing up on glance. Zoning like that would be fun.

or you could zone with your monitor off, or wear a blind fold ;)
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:16 pm

yea mori, nice thought but basically bunk.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:58 pm

Sad to say it, but Kiryan's right. The players of this game seem to get offended when everything isn't laid right out for them. The ideas of "mystery," "imagination," or "figure it out yourself" have no place here.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:38 pm

Except when it comes to an instrument its impossible to tell what the quality and stutter stats are... hence !ID on it doesn't make any sense (Rosewood Mandolin for example).

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”