CMUD Beta and TorilMUD

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Yasden
Sojourner

CMUD Beta and TorilMUD

Postby Yasden » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:52 pm

I just purchased CMUD Beta, and I noticed IRE (Iron Realms Entertainment) as well as some other craptastical muds, such as Medievia, have put their muds on the pop-up connect screen. Have the forgers looked into doing this for TorilMUD? That would be a great way of advertising the mud, especially with the upcoming 2.0 release.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:46 am

I participated in an auction to get Toril's icon in zMud 7 a couple years ago. Unfortunately the auction started at about $5,000 and quickly went up to 12k before I stopped bothering to watch. I'll save my own personal opinion on that auction and some of Zugg's other choices for his product, but suffice it to say that that amount of money required to be present in default zMud is beyond the means of a free-to-play MUD like Toril.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Minofagal
Sojourner

Postby Minofagal » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:28 am

I know I'm far from being a landmark here onTorilMud, but being a long time user of zMud soley for TorilMud (and an avid particpant of pirated warez that actually shelled out $25 bucks for zMud) I have to say that I'm thurely disappointed in the fact that I would have to actually buy CMUD, or be encouraged to buy it for lack of updates, steams me. If they want to encourage users to switch to a new product, they should offer migration to the OLDER users rather than the newer users. For that reason alone I, personally wouldn't switch. Sorry, I had to vent.
Kaisi tells you 'get smirn, he's better than me'
--HELP! My legs aren't long enough!--
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:47 am

Minofagal wrote:I know I'm far from being a landmark here onTorilMud, but being a long time user of zMud soley for TorilMud (and an avid particpant of pirated warez that actually shelled out $25 bucks for zMud) I have to say that I'm thurely disappointed in the fact that I would have to actually buy CMUD, or be encouraged to buy it for lack of updates, steams me. If they want to encourage users to switch to a new product, they should offer migration to the OLDER users rather than the newer users. For that reason alone I, personally wouldn't switch. Sorry, I had to vent.

Doesn't really steam me in the least.

Let's see. I bought zmud in july of 99.
As of this past july, I will have gotten 7. 7 Years of use of a program, with free updating, for freaking 25$.

Sorry, I can't really complain that he wants to make more money. Zmud has been great for what it's been used for. And i'll probably go to cmud and update, but for the moment I just don't care enough.

I dunno how people can be ticked about the fee's with Cmud. Still boggles me.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:13 pm

What it looks like is a prorated fee.. the longer you have had (and used nearly every day of your life) it the more you have to pay. IE: you just bought it this august, you get CMud free. I bought mine in 96 or 97 and well I have to pay full price. Hell using it as much as I have, Zmud costs me .. um 2.78 USD a year if I got it in 97. Not a bad investment.

Paying THAT much to have our logo on the sigin.. THAT is horrible!! Wonder if they take plats?
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:14 pm

mmm post bug
Last edited by Ambar on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Italian Proverb
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:17 pm

mm post bug 2.0 loosely based off dnd 3.5

-Italian Proverb
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:21 pm

Is CMUD so good that its worth upgrading from ZMUD?
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:47 pm

Corth wrote:Is CMUD so good that its worth upgrading from ZMUD?

I haven't had the chance to actually use CMUD because I haven't had the time to switch all of my ZMUD files over. I got it free since I purchased ZMUD 2x, the last time just after the cut-off for getting CMUD for free--yes, I was one of those who wanted to support the ZMUD endeavor. I have to agree with those who have already said that for $25.00 with free updates for all of these years, it'd be rather difficult to complain about paying for CMUD. I paid $50.00 for two copies of it, and I would have paid more for CMUD--though probably not right away, as ZMUD is still a great product, even if there will be no more updates to it ever. My advice is that unless you're a hardcore gamer who is going to need the updates (whatever they may be), then stick to ZMUD--unless you don't mind paying for the new program, or get it free as I did.

And any amount of RL plats to have an icon on the pop-up screen is too much IMHO.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Re: CMUD Beta and TorilMUD

Postby Shevarash » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:26 pm

Yasden wrote:I just purchased CMUD Beta

Thats the part that irks me. Paying to upgrade is not a big deal, but paying to beta test? Right, no thanks. Its time for a solid open source MUD client.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Re: CMUD Beta and TorilMUD

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:37 pm

Shevarash wrote:
Yasden wrote:I just purchased CMUD Beta

Thats the part that irks me. Paying to upgrade is not a big deal, but paying to beta test? Right, no thanks. Its time for a solid open source MUD client.

Dunno. You're paying cause you can't really wait on it to come out as a final release before buying it. You get the same perks eitherway, and exsisting zmud users IIRC can beta it free. Or could(I know I downloaded it).

Seems to me pay now, get it early, w/2 years updates, or wait till it's full release whenever that is, and get two years updates. It's the same either way.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:48 pm

*shrug* I don't have any issues with Zmud, so I'll just stick with it for now. I only use it for Torilmud, and I refuse to completely go automated, so it serves for now.

Perhaps I wouldn't mind paying for a new one so much if I got similar upgrades, but only getting them for what.. two years?? When its still in Beta? I think not.

edit: Noticed 2 years, not 1.
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:52 am

Public release will be in a couple of months.

If you're wondering if you should switch from zMUD to CMUD, take into consideration that zMUD was designed for older Windows clients like 95/98/ME. CMUD is specifically made for XP/Vista. In fact, there will be NO zMUD support on Vista whatsoever. So if you're qualified to get a free/discount version of CMUD, I'd definitely jump on the chance before the promo runs out next month. I bought my zMUD in 2001, and I got CMUD at half price ($14.95 US).

BTW, you'll pay every 2 years for licensing/upgrades with CMUD.

I'm still trying to figure out how to import all of my damned settings, since CMUD uses XML and zMUD uses straight text.

Personally Shev, I think it's a bunch of BS that Zugg's allowing IRE to basically dictate his client like that. I'm sure they've probably dumped a lot more funds into Zugg's pockets than just those connection icons. Same with Top Mud Sites.

Have you possibly considered getting a WOTC endorsement once 2.0 is in?

That would carry far more weight (especially if it were on their site) than any of the voting sites.

Anyway, I digress on that tangent. It should go in the Advertising thread.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Marthammor
Staff Member - Areas
Location: On a Rocky Tor Overlooking a Storm-Ridden Landscape

Postby Marthammor » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:03 pm

I emailed Zugg about this the last time he had the auction for the icons and suggested that he do two auctions. One for the company owned and pay-to-play muds, and one for the smaller privatly owned muds. I never got a reply, so I'm guessing he just blew it off. *shrug*
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:17 pm

Of course he blew it off. Thats the dumbest idea I ever heard. Would YOU give up tens of thousands of YOUR own dollars in order to give artificially cheap advertising to one class of mud at the expense of your paying customers?

While advertising might bring a few curious people, it won't keep them if the product is inferior. Small 'free' muds need to concentrate on providing a quality product first and foremost.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Minofagal
Sojourner

Postby Minofagal » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:33 pm

thinking about having an icon at start up... who actually tried any of the muds when you bought zmud? or did you find muds to try through other sources. heck the only reason i even bought zmud was because i found a cool a$$ mud (sojourn3) that i wanted to play everyday. shrug.

back on topic. i see what you guys are saying about using it almost everyday from '03. good point. but i still agree that paying for a beta is still not worth it. maybe if the updates where 2 years from the first non beta release.
Kaisi tells you 'get smirn, he's better than me'

--HELP! My legs aren't long enough!--

Return to “General Discussion Archive”