TorilMUD Fitness Megathread - New Years Resolutions Ahoy!

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Gormal
Sojourner

TorilMUD Fitness Megathread - New Years Resolutions Ahoy!

Postby Gormal » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:37 am

Since I've been using this deployment to get back into the fitness swing of things, I figured that there would be plenty of other people out there who were making New Years resolutions and such about getting into shape. I thought that maybe people would enjoy discussing their fitness goals, methods, and the like.

I'm about to start training with the majority of the focus on strength rather than fat burning myself. I'd like to hit 13% bodyfat, and get my bench back up to 300. One of the mistakes I've always made is never doing deadlifts and severely neglecting squats. I'm changing that now, so we'll see how strong I can get doing a lot more compound exercises.

Here's a pretty nice website I found recently that has animated gifs for virtually every type of lift you can imagine, and a muscle breakdown.

http://www.exrx.net/

I know that Sipes is into powerlifting, but is anyone else around here finding time to get away from their computers and sweat a little?
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:26 pm

We bought a Norditrack for ourselves for Christmas, and when our BRAND new defective Norditrack finally gets fixed (we have had it 5 weeks, it has been operational 2 days or so (it was a defective model I think) .. we will use it.. As it is the incline works backwards, set it to 1 and it goes to 12 .. this is the one we got tho when it is fixed ...
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:31 pm

If I have one suggestion for anyone wanting to get in shape at home it would be to buy some form of dumbells and some form of olympic bar/weights. You'll get in shape so much faster by lifting weights in addition to cardiovascular exercise than you'd believe. This applies to women as well as men. (Yes I realize that Mike weighs more than 20lbs, but he's more of a numbskull than a dumbbell, Jen)
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:16 pm

I strapped a 5 lb weight onto my tv remote.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:06 am

Heard your wife likes to strap one on, too. :P
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:18 am

Three days ago I gave up cigarettes, coffee, and sugar (along with all general snacks). The first two days were pure hell. It's starting to get better. What really sucks is that I baked an apple pie the night before I spontaneously did this, and only got one slice out of it. It's still in the fridge, and the vanilla ice cream is still in the freezer. It'll more than likely go in the trash this weekend along with anything else that even remotely resembles junkfood.

I promised myself that this weekend I'm moving my couch out of the living room and setting up my elliptical, rowing machine, and weight bench all where if I want to sit down to watch TV, I have to sit on a piece of exercise equipment. Hopefully I can make myself get back to the gym for the serious lifting.

Oh, and I think I'm gonna buy a Gazelle. Everybody I've talked to that has one loves it.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:33 am

That's pretty hardcore Kelly. I gave up most sugar (I still have small handfuls of Craisins once a day, and my morning protein shake has a little more sugar than I normally like, but its so damned tasty. If there's one diet suggestion I could offer you, Kel, it would be Tunapenoes.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:11 pm

Elliptical by the TV works well. Watching something makes it go by really fast.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:12 pm

A good natural sugar substitute is the extract of the stevia plant. Because of pressure from the sugar lobby, it can only be marketed as a "nutritional supplement" rather than as a sweetener. However, it is much sweeter than sugar per weight, and can be used by diabetics.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:46 pm

I keep Splenda on hand when I need sugar, but I really don't sweeten much of what I eat. Once you wean yourself off of sweets, you really don't need it. I really enjoy a vanilla whey, yogurt, frozen fruit smoothie . I actually bought some protein powder that even in cold water tastes just like a milkshake. Its a little high in sugars and fat, but I limit myself to one a day as a snack and use the leaner protein for my other shakes. Its called Xyience XM2 in case anyone cares to try it. The strawberry is the best.
Tasan
Sojourner

Re: TorilMUD Fitness Megathread - New Years Resolutions Ahoy

Postby Tasan » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:21 pm

Gormal wrote:and severely neglecting squats.

Stupid...stupid man.

Squats rock. I can only hope to get back to squatting 400+ now considering my age. I do plan on "starting" the year fresh and with the new job I have free access to an exercise room.

Tanji Smanji wrote:I strapped a 5 lb weight onto my tv remote.

12 oz. curls ftw :!

Ashiwi wrote:Oh, and I think I'm gonna buy a Gazelle. Everybody I've talked to that has one loves it.

Don't do it. They love it because it doesn't actually do anything. You are better off keeping the money and standing still for an hour than using it. Trust me.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Gormal
Sojourner

Re: TorilMUD Fitness Megathread - New Years Resolutions Ahoy

Postby Gormal » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:03 pm

Tasan wrote:
Ashiwi wrote:Oh, and I think I'm gonna buy a Gazelle. Everybody I've talked to that has one loves it.

Don't do it. They love it because it doesn't actually do anything. You are better off keeping the money and standing still for an hour than using it. Trust me.

Doug's right, its like an elliptical machine without the resistance. If you're looking for something to use while you veg out, just go for a stationary bike. Spinning is actually an incredibly workout if you do it correctly, and you should be able to get a bike for pretty cheap. Another bike alternative is to buy an actual bike, and then buy the stand where it allows the back wheel to spin while you clamp the front fork down.
grundar
Sojourner

Postby grundar » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:06 pm

dont buy gear, join a gym.

serious studies have found that when you are surrounded by muscle you tend to pack more muscle on/lose wt than if you were working out alone.
find a gym near you where you feel comfortable to make sure that "kids hog the machines for hours chatting/takes me an hour to get there and another to come back/there's weights missing and no stuffing on the leather pads" does not become the extra excuse to not go.
buying a machine doesnt necessarily mean that you will be working out often heh, however if you do stick to it..

find a training partner, someone who wont miss workouts out of lazyness

i had that problem.. whenever my workout partner didnt go i wouldnt go and shit... also if your workout partner is around the same level as you weightwise and all you increase results by a percentage

squat till you puke

fuck the straw legs... quads of the gods dudes!

dont overtrain... most important thing of all.. overtraining leads to serious consequences of which the least is decreased or no muscle gain
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:19 pm

There's absolutely nothing wrong with buying equipment for use in the home. Not everyone feels comfortable going to the gym, its not logistically feasible for others, and some people (myself included) like the option of getting something done while staying indoors sometimes. I'm pretty sure that Ashiwi's new place is a little more isolated than the rest of us, and it might be a problem for her to find a gym that suits her needs.

I don't think that she's really looking to "pack on the muscle" either.:P Most women don't require a full rack of olympic weights and a complete set of dumbbells for their workouts. A small set of free weights in the garage is a great way to work out when you don't have a partner or can't get one that day for whatever reason. I can do full workouts with a single set of dumbbells, and do when I'm really pressed for time and can't drive to the gym.

Whatever gets you off your ass is good in my book.
Vandic
Sojourner

Postby Vandic » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:28 pm

Gormal wrote:I keep Splenda on hand when I need sugar, but I really don't sweeten much of what I eat.

If you knew how Splenda was made you'd never touch the stuff again.
Vandic wields a massive mithril axe of gazebo chopping.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:18 pm

Vandic wrote:
Gormal wrote:I keep Splenda on hand when I need sugar, but I really don't sweeten much of what I eat.

If you knew how Splenda was made you'd never touch the stuff again.

Splenda green is made from people... mmmm people.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:30 pm

I gave up beef, pork, and cheese for a month. I found it very hard to sustain myself, because I have a hard time coming away from a veggie-meal satisfied. I ate a lot of fish and a lot of poultry. Lost about 12-15 lbs before eventually abandoning the diet under stress from my wife, who complained she had nothing to cook ;)
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:58 am

Actually... way back when I was doing a two hour workout a day, six days a week (forty five minutes cardio, alternating upper and lower body on weights), I never felt better in my life. I did that at a full gym. While I really wasn't shooting for the rippling beefsteak look (and never obtained it), I enjoyed most the way it made me feel when I walked out of the gym after a good workout. Unfortunately I didn't continue it long enough to keep that look, so right now I'm just resolving to chase the dragon.

The full gym is now almost a 45 minute drive for me, one-way, but I bought a membership in it because it's actually not too far a detour from the highway I travel home on. The problem is, with all my travel time, I really don't have two hours a day to spend on a workout anymore. The home workout is going to have to do for the most part, if I want a workout every night. And I have a full freeweight set. I prefer machines, but this will have to do for now.

Squats are the BEST workout for your gluts and thighs... but absolute hell on the knees.

The elliptical I have is an older model and really doesn't give the kind of stride length I would prefer, which is why I was eyeing the Gazelle. Okay, so maybe I'll just opt for the stationary bike, after all. An elliptical without a stride that stretches the long muscles is nothing more than a fancy and expensive stairstepper.

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:01 am

The newer gazelles have resistance things .. you can add or remove resistance with your fitness level

not everyone wants/can go to a smelly gym to see everyone else who is overweight/underfit workout .. home is convenience ..

Corth, on stevia .. have been hearing about it as better than splenda .. true?? I want to try this cause I find splenda fairly gross
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:09 am

Ambar... one of the things I liked MOST about the gym I worked out in was that there was always something to keep my attention. I went to a gym that trained world class lifters, and the eyecandy alone was a total body workout.

And I'll look into the new Gazelle thing, thanks!

Oh... and it's been four days... four loooooooong days. This weekend's gonna be hell without my ritual cup of coffee first thing in the morning.

Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:41 am

I assume you've switched to tea instead of coffee right?

As far as Splenda goes, I could really care less about how disgusting something is. You naysayers must not realize the quality of shit I'm forced to put into my body living on board the ship.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:57 am

Splenda doesn't bother me... its a helluva lot better than that pink or blue crap.
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:04 am

Ambar,

I never have used any artificial sweeteners so I really have no point of reference. Stevia is something like 300 times sweeter than sugar by weight. When you make coffee or tea, instead of teaspoons, you basically just put in a little dot of the stuff. It makes it sweet, but doesn't taste quite as rich as sugar.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Minofagal
Sojourner

Postby Minofagal » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:15 am

Gormal wrote:I assume you've switched to tea instead of coffee right?

As far as Splenda goes, I could really care less about how disgusting something is. You naysayers must not realize the quality of shit I'm forced to put into my body living on board the ship.

sadly, i know you don't want to hear it, i do. been there done that.
Kaisi tells you 'get smirn, he's better than me'
--HELP! My legs aren't long enough!--
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:46 am

I like the sound of this Stevia stuff, and will probably pick some up when i get back. I assume its in the sugar/spice isle.

I can't wait to start cooking for myself again, even crappy fast food tastes like heaven to me right now.
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:58 am

from culinary standpoint try diabetisweet

if you want to drop fattier foods eat salads butput whole grain barley or brown rice in it (cooled)

it may sound wierd but the whole grains will add flavor anf it will fill you up.
so you will end up eating less overall

if you dont have the time to hit the gym look into strap weights. you can get them for arms upper body lower body and feet.

not sure if nilan does this but when i was into kickboxing i would wear and extra 50-70 lbs all the time. you probably shouldnt go that hardcore but you can get 1-15 lb adjustable forearm weights (they go as small as 6 oz) and 5-25 lb leg weights they shouldnt be that expensive and the properlmade ones strap to the hole forearm/leg sothat you dont get impact stress

just a few thoughs
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:09 am

I think that wearing weight for training (vests etc) has its place, but for the love of all that is holy do not buy ankle weights for running. I see so many people doing this and its incredibly hard on your joints. Its better to wear the weight on your torso than down on your ankles.
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:30 am

note i said that the weights strap to your shins and thigh, it reduces the impact and you dont have weight slamming down on your ankles to make it harder. its best used for stair tho
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:35 am

Ok Chef's of Toril... gimme some good simple new healthy protein-rich recipes to try out. I'm not afraid to kick out extra $$ for a quality cut of meat either.
Duna
Sojourner

Postby Duna » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:54 am

Okay Kel, hows the no smoking thing going??? I've decided to start getting healthier and the first step is to kick the cigarettes.. completely, been trying, to cut back at least.. but that's hasn't been going so great.. so was thinking maybe i'd just go cold turkey this weekend... I've got 3 days off work so hoping the worst of the detoxing will be over with :)
"A true friend unbosoms freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, and continues a friend unchangeably." - William Penn
" I"m built for comfort not for speed. " - Carl on Jimmy Neutron.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:02 pm

I'm working on cutting back as I get closer to home. By the time the GF comes down to visit, I'd like to be almost totally smoke-free. I always smoke when we get underway, and then quit when we pull back in so I'm getting to be quite familiar with quitting.

Personally, I try to replace having a smoke with something else, preferrably pushups or something. The last thing I want when I'm out of breath is a smoke, so doing a few sets of pushups and crunches can help me. Small sips of whiskey help too sometimes. Much less than a full shot, but enough to help calm the nerves a bit.

I've been smoking pretty heavily the last few months, so its going to be a rough couple weeks while I detox and cough all of that crap up again. :(
Duna
Sojourner

Postby Duna » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:09 pm

lol ;) few months?? I've been smoking pretty heavily for the past 20 years..
I've tried quitting several times before and it's not worked.. I get quite, umm.. grouchy without my nicotine.. that's why i figured 3 days, no kids, no work.. best time to try and get the worst over with..
I plan on spending the weekend cleaning the house, and clearing out the garage.. well at least rearranging it so i can get the car in..
I know i'll be reaching for the munchies bad.. there's no doubt in my mind about that.. i'm just worried about gettin my body detoxed atm.. :)
"A true friend unbosoms freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, and continues a friend unchangeably." - William Penn
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:23 pm

Yeah you've got me there. I'm smoked on and off for only around 6 years. Even when I'm not smoking, I smoke when I drink and smoek cigars all the time anyway. I have horrible willpower and I really love to relax with a cig all of the time.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:53 pm

Kel, if you get a stationary bike, get a recumbant style. Its a lot easier on your knees, is much more comfortable, and provides a more even workout for your legs.

Best of luck with quitting smoking everyone. I have a friend who smoked for around 8 ears and we finally got him to stop... he went cold turkey and locked himself in his apartment for a few days with some ibuprofin for the headache. I think he said the first week sucked, but he's been cig free for a couple years now.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:12 pm

First week IS the hardest.. the fourth day you barely start feeling better, but the tendency for grouchiness is still very much there. Half of a cigarette habit is the doing something with your hands to replace it. When I quit I went through about 40 of the big packs of gum, and chewed the hell out of my pens. I was a glutton for punishment and quit while working in a restaurant with a smoking section...
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:53 pm

The second week always hits me harder than the first. I can tough it out fine until that first weekend or so when I really start to crave one.

I like recumbant bikes, but I've always found standard bikes to be more versatile, ie: you can stand up, use dumbells, etc.
Minofagal
Sojourner

Postby Minofagal » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:01 pm

From a medical stand point, the actual physical withdrawl from nicotine only lasts around 48 hours. After that it's all mental. The big key like Gormal said is to try and replace it with something. One thing I did and had a couple benefits too was always carry around a small bottle of water. When you feel the urge to smoke take a sip. I went to the bathroom quite a bit, without smoking and an increase of water intake made me feel great.
Kaisi tells you 'get smirn, he's better than me'

--HELP! My legs aren't long enough!--
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:11 pm

Gormal wrote:I like the sound of this Stevia stuff, and will probably pick some up when i get back. I assume its in the sugar/spice isle.

I can't wait to start cooking for myself again, even crappy fast food tastes like heaven to me right now.

They can't market it as a sweetener, and besides, its very difficult to find it except in some speciality shops. Best bet is to order it online.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:22 pm

OK..

Quitting smoking is EASY if you do it right. I'm going to tell you now..

Cold turkey is STUPID. It hardly ever works, and its needlessly uncomfortable.

Weening yourself off of cigarettes is not a good idea either. If you have a pack of cigarettes lying around the house, there is too much temptation to just smoke one when you want one.

The nicotine patch is a great invention. However, because they need to make money, they instruct you to use way too much of it. Nicoderm has their "steps" system, where you take 21mg for like 4 weeks, then 15mg, then 10mg etc. This is just a huge waste of money and actually makes it more difficult to quit since you remain addicted to nicotine for a prolonged amount of time.

The most effective way to quit is to buy the strongest patch you can find (nicoderm 21mg), and every day cut it a little bit smaller with a pair of scissors. The first day, you will hardly feel like you are missing anything. Then over the course of the next 10-14 days, you cut it a little smaller until nothing is left. After perhaps a dozen or so attempts at quitting, where I always went back, this was the only way that was easy and effective, and lasted for good.

Basically, this takes the cigarette out of the weening. Instead of breaking the physical addiction over three days (cold turkey), you break it over 10-14 days, which allows you to concentrate more on the psychological aspects of the addiction. And unlike following directions on the nicoderm box, you do not remain physically addicted for 2 months. I absolutely guarantee that this method will be the best way of breaking your addiction short of death. :)

Corth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:34 pm

BTW,

One thing that helped me was to think about quitting cigarettes as mathematically and scientifficaly as possible. Complete lack of emotion. Each cigarette contains approximately 1 mg of nicotine. My body craved approximately 15-20 mg of nicotine a day. To me, it was all about thinking in terms of how many mg of nicotine I would provide my body per hour over a period of two weeks. If I determined that the craving was overwhelming at any given point, I might give myself a piece of nicotine gum (1mg) to tide me over. The gum, btw, works very well in conjunction with the patch, so long as you use not more than one or two pieces every few days.

My wife's friend has a brother that pawned his mother's wedding ring to feed his heroin addiction. Nicotine is supposedly just as strong an addiction as heroin. Addicts do irrational things, because logic is outweighed by the need to give in to the craving. Granted, cigarettes aren't as expensive as heroin, so you don't need to lie and steal to get them. But nicotine addicts, when they try to quit, are always looking for some reason to start smoking again. I think that looking at breaking the addiction in a scientific manner helps you overcome the irrationality that sets in with withdrawal. It keeps you on point during the worst part of it.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:52 pm

Interestig Corth... I always had a similar idea, which was to cut the cigarettes themselves shorter so that with each cigarette you were smoking less nicotine. Of course, I never smoked so I have no first hand knowledge of it working...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:06 pm

Gormal wrote:I have horrible willpower

.............................................____,,,---~`\,.............. ...........................................................
................................,,,_.,-~"* . . . . . . . . ."\,.........................................................................
.............................,/` . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "\, ......................................................................
......................... ,/. . . . : : : : : :::: :::: :: : : : : :\�-,...................... ...........................................
....................... ./. . . .: . :: : : :::: :::: :::: :::: : ::: �-, ................. ..............................................
......................,/ . . . : . :: ::: :: : : :: :::: :::: :: : : : :: �-, ............... ............................................
...................,-/� : :: :: :: :: :: : : : : : : : :: : : :::: :::: ::::::�;............... ...........................................
......... *""\'''~~~~-______________________,,,,,,,,,,,,----~""""""""`/""*........................................
............ \,/\,/'\,,/"\,,/""\,..,/""\,..,/""\,..,/""\,..,/""\,..,/"\,/"\,/"\,/"\.,-"-/...............................................
.............."~~-,,_____,,,,__________,,,,,,,,_____________,,,,---~"...............................................
�����..,-�� ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; _,,_ ; ; ;��-,�������������..
����..,-�� ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-��_ ��-,\ ; ; ; ; �,�������������
����,� ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,,-~�����~-,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;�-�;;;�, : :||; ; ; ; ; �,������������.
���.,-� ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-�/ :,-~��~, : �,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;�-,-� : // ; ; ; ; ; ;�,�����������..
��..,-� ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;�,| : �-,;;;;,-� : /� ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ����� ; ; ; ; ; ; ; �-,�����������
��.,� ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;��-,,___,,-~� ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;��~,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;�-,����������.
��.| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-,;;�, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;�-����������.
��,� ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-;;;;| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; |����������
��| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,,-�,;;;;|��-~ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; �,����������
......| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;---,,,,,,,_,,,,-~��, �-,;;;| ,,-� ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;�,���������.
��| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;���~-,,,_ , , , , , , �,;,�,� ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;\���������.
��| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;��-,~-,, , ,,��,� ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;�,���������
���, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ��-,,���;;;;| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;�,���������
��.| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;��-,_,� ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; �,���������
��.�, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;�,��������..
��..�, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; \��������.
���\ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; �,��������
���.�, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;|��������
���..| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;�-,�������.
���..�, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,,--~~--,, ; ; ; ; ;,--------,, ; ,--~, ; ; ,,-~, ; ;,--,,;,,-~~-,, ; ; ; ; ; ;�,������..
����| ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-�� . ,,--,, . �-, ; ; ; ;| . ,-,, . �, | . . | ; ;�-, . .\,,/ . ./�-,,--, . �, ; ; ; ; ; ; �-,������
����| ; ; ; ; ; ; | . .,� ; ; ;�, . .| ; ; ; | . .�-� . ,-� | . . | ; ; ; �-, . . .,-� ; ;,-� . ,-� ; ; ; ; ; ; ; �-,�����.
�����, ; ; ; ; ; ;�, . �-,__,-� . ,� ; ; ; | . .|\ . .\ . | . . |___ ; ;} . . / ; ; ;�----� ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;�-,����.
����.| ; ; ; ; ; ; ;�-,,_ . ._,,-� ; ; ; ; |__| .\__\ ;|_____/ ; ;/__/ ; ; ; ; (�) ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; �-,����
��.......�, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;� ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; �-,���

Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:46 pm

This is how I quit smoking:

Rule #1: Don't buy any cigarettes. Eventually your friends will get sick of you bumming and cut you off.

Rule #2: Don't put any cigarettes in your mouth. It's terribly difficult to smoke a ciggarette if you don't put it in your mouth. Also keep it out of your nose also for good measure.

Rule #3: If somehow a cigarette should find its way into your mouth, whatever you do, do NOT apply direct heat or flame to the open end of the cigarette or it might catch and cause it to produce smoke. This is counterproductive to the act of quitting smoking. Remove the cigarette from your mouth immediately and give it to someone who has less willpower than you do. They'll think you are being nice...
Vaprak, the Destroyer
-Formerly Tempus of HomelandMUD -- pre-merger
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:52 am

Five days, and while yesterday seemed easier, today was a total bitch. I think most of that was because of the coffee and sugar issue, as well, and my boss gave me a candle and a bag of candy for Christmas, and the department manager went to everybody in the department to pass out fresh bakery cookies and punch.

I'm glad they understood, or I might have been fired for threating the boss.

At the end of the day, the count was 0 snacks consumed.

Oh, and Gorm... I did not switch to tea. I drink herbal tea when I want the hot stuff, so that's not an issue, and I don't do iced tea. I gave up soda ages ago. I won't swear I'll stay off coffee totally, but for now it's off the menu.

It was a vicious cycle... One of the largest pleasures of life is that first cup of coffee and a cigarette in the morning. Cigarettes and coffee go perfectly together. And I love those sugar=laden flavored creamers with my coffee. In order to give up one, all of them were going to have to go, because for me it's like a bad chain of effect.

Duna... five days. I started about a month ago by asking the clerks at the store which were the most disgustingly nasty, foul-tasting cigarettes they carried. I didn't want to remember the habit too fondly, and the nasty effect cheap cigarettes have on you after smoking Marlboros for two decades is like trying to switch to Dinty Moore beef after eating fresh butcher-cut steak all your life. I'd managed to cut myself down to making one pack last three days, when I hit the day I knew would be the day. I was ready, and I knew I would be out of cigarettes when I woke up the next day. I decided to try to make it until after work without a cigarette, and after work I made myself drive past the convenience store without stopping to buy them. The good thing about being out in the country is that there's not a convenience store right around the corner.

Success is different for everybody, and no one way is guaranteed for all people. The truth is that you'll quit when your mental and physical planets align on the matter.

All I know is right now I'd give my right tit for a smoke and a cup of coffee... and some coffee cake.

Duna
Sojourner

Postby Duna » Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:23 am

Corth, this isn't my first attempt at quitting smoking.. my first attempt was when the patch first came out and you could only get it with a prescription.. I had a very bad reaction and broke out all over..
so the patch isn't an option.

Kelly... ROFL :) I've hit a point where i'm kinda gettin sick of smoking.. right now, it's more the physical rather than mental issue of them.. i go most of the day at work without them.. i've been finding at work that if i pop a couple candy cane jelly belly's instead of having a cig in the afternoons, when I start craving.. it's easier.. I already smoke the cheapies.. not the really cheap nasty ones, but they aren't that great.. I figure this weekend is perfect cause I've got 3 days without kids and not working.. I plan on cleaning the garage out and getting things done around the house.. and it's a 15 - 20 minute drive to the store for smokes.. :) so i would really have to think long and hard about leaving the house before going to get some.. so here's hoping. ;)
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:44 am

I quit by going cold turkey and it worked fine. If you don't buy cigarettes you can't smoke and I smoked for years. Honestly the first few weeks were easy. It was about 4 months in when I started going bonkers. It helped to wait until I knew a stressful time at work was coming so I was constantly busy, and I didn't keep much cash on me to go buy a quick pack. That was almost 4 years go and I'm still fine. Every few months I'll try a smoke and get sick, just to make sure it sticks.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:41 am

Ashiwi wrote:All I know is right now I'd give my right tit for a smoke and a cup of coffee... and some coffee cake.

Quoted for hillarity.
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:51 am

Vaprak wrote:This is how I quit smoking:

Rule #1: Don't buy any cigarettes. Eventually your friends will get sick of you bumming and cut you off.

Rule #2: Don't put any cigarettes in your mouth. It's terribly difficult to smoke a ciggarette if you don't put it in your mouth. Also keep it out of your nose also for good measure.

Rule #3: If somehow a cigarette should find its way into your mouth, whatever you do, do NOT apply direct heat or flame to the open end of the cigarette or it might catch and cause it to produce smoke. This is counterproductive to the act of quitting smoking. Remove the cigarette from your mouth immediately and give it to someone who has less willpower than you do. They'll think you are being nice...

Right on.

'cept instead of: "and give it to someone who has less willpower than you do", it's: "snap it in 2 and toss it in the bin"

Just.
Don't.
Smoke.
BEER
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:13 pm

Six days, and say what you will, herbal tea with Splenda and milk seems to be working as a coffee substitute for now. It's been six days, so the caffeine withdrawals are over, and the tea makes for a good psychological substitute for the morning ritual.

No cigarette this morning... but for the first time in a long time I rolled out of bed at 5:30 and immediately started housework. I have more energy today, and a desire to get things done. That may be the lack of sugar in my system.

I feel good. Today is the first day I didn't find myself automatically reaching for the pack. Actually... I didn't even think of it until I sat down at the computer...

Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:50 pm

I really should just stop now, but I'll just wait until the GF comes down to help me out.

I'm only a few weeks away from ending my weight loss cycle, and moving back into a bulking cycle. I really want to get back into top shape by the time I get out of the Navy (6 months). Its so nice not to have that gut I developed anymore though.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”