TorilMUD Fitness Megathread - New Years Resolutions Ahoy!

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Duna
Sojourner

Postby Duna » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:30 pm

I'm glad to hear it Kel.. I find myself smoking and not eatting most days.. which is just one reason why I"ve decided to quit.. I"ve been noticing that i'll reach for a smoke when i get hungry instead of getting something to eat.. which I know isn't good.. can't expect the body to function on cigarettes without food.. my other reasons are 1) I want a house.. and every penny i can save will help. ;) 2) I'm hoping to have another kid, and well.. that will be much easier if i'm helthier than what I am now :)

I've been finding myself looking at the cigarette I'm smoking at the time, this week and thinking wow.. instead of spending the $2 per pack on these I could put that $2 in the bank towards a down payment :) so I think I'm on the right track so far.. we'll see how bad i get :P
"A true friend unbosoms freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, and continues a friend unchangeably." - William Penn
" I"m built for comfort not for speed. " - Carl on Jimmy Neutron.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:37 pm

If you like raw veggies, munching on those sweet baby carrots will give you something to do instead of smoke or reach for candy/sweets too.

So Kel, what would you give the left tit for, since the right one is for the cigs and coffee? :P
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:53 pm

rylan wrote:So Kel, what would you give the left tit for, since the right one is for the cigs and coffee? :P

A king size Snickers bar and a great big, fat... something I can't talk about on the BBS.

Is this seven days now? I started rearranging my living room and kitchen this morning. I was out of bed at 5:00 and on the road by 5:30 heading in to town to go shopping.

Mandarin Orange Spice tea with Splenda and milk... yummmmmmm.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:47 am

Hey just think, on new years eve you can celebrate 2 weeks... not to mention finding every possible way you can rearrange your furniture! :)
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:14 pm

13 days. I've been good, oh so good. For thirteen days I haven't touched cigarettes, sugar or coffee. Today I picked up some Chai from the store, as I really miss something with a little more kick to it in the mornings. I've never been a Chai fan, but one cup in the morning shouldn't hurt too much.

I picked up a recument bicycle the other day, and plan on starting to use it this week, along with the weight bench. I have a doctor appointment on Wednesday, and want to discuss one issue with her before I get too involved in the workouts.

I stepped on the scale the other day and it told me I lost 15 lbs. I called it a liar and bought a new scale. The new one agreed with the old one. I apologized and baked them both sugarfree cookies. Losing weight when quitting smoking? Life is good.

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:50 am

Wow, congrats! Bikini contest at the next gathering? ;)
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:03 am

rylan wrote:Wow, congrats! Bikini contest at the next gathering? ;)

I'm thinking not.

Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:06 am

You wouldn't want to see Pril in a 2 piece?
Duna
Sojourner

Postby Duna » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:23 pm

Congrats Kel ;) and there will be NO bikini contest at the next gathering!!!

well I'm doing so so on the cigarettes.. I took some of the advice from on here and was cutting down.. I was down to 1 pack a day. had some crap happen this weekend, and blew it for a day or two, but i'm back at the cutting down again. I'm quite proud that i had it at a pack a day.. considering I smoked almost 2 packs a day, that's quite good.

i hope to be at half a pack next weekend. :)
"A true friend unbosoms freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, and continues a friend unchangeably." - William Penn
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:56 pm

I'll chime in here.

I'm going to bring back the 5 am nunchaku kata + run

9%, here I come!
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:04 pm

Gormal wrote:You wouldn't want to see Pril in a 2 piece?

Some other people may be interested, but I think I'll pass on that :P
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:22 pm

what's wrong w/ coffee
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:02 am

18 days.

Coffee has a lot of caffeine, which is not good for you, and I happen to love it a great deal... especially with a cigarette and a lot of exceedingly sweet flavored creamer. When I drink coffee, I want a cigarette.

Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:06 pm

As for diet, first focus on LIQUID calories:
1) Switch to diet soft drinks.
2) Eliminate juices.
3) Cut down on alcohol intake.
4) When you think you are hungry, drink water first. Then, re-evaluate.

These simple steps may save you several hundred calories per day, which is about the same as a 30 minute workout of VIGOROUS running.

Which brings me to my next point: Exercise. Try to gain an appreciation for how many calories which exercises burn. Which is the most efficient? Biking or running? Hrmmm? How long does it take to burn 250 calories, or the equivalent of ONE oversized cookie loaded with chocolate chips?

That's right, passing on the cookie is like burning the equivalent amount of calories of a 30 minutes session at the gym.

Food for thought? Yep.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:53 pm

Damned know-it-all doctors :(

"What's wrong, Homer?"
"Oh as if you don't know (sob)... we're gonna have sex."
"Well we don't have to..."
"Yes we do. The cookie told me so."
"Well sweets aren't always right..."
"But they're so good..."
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:33 am

I wouldn't say that caffine is bad for you, Kelly. Rather, it even gives your metabolism a little boost. Most any fat burning supplement you buy now has a goodly level of the caf in it. Coffee is just unnessecary calories, and like Jhorr said, changing your liquid diet is a HUGE step in the right direction. Water, milk, and sugar-free drinks are the way to go.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:25 am

Trust me, caffeine is bad for me. For your average healthy body, caffeine in small doses is not unhealthy, as long as you drink enough water to counterbalance the effect of caffeine on fluid balance in the tissues. Too many people don't. I have metabolism issues that cause much higher than normal fluid retention... caffeine is bad for me. How I love it.

I don't take fat burning supplements. I believe that natural is better. I'm trying to work my way back to a more natural, healthier lifestyle. I want clean kidneys.

19 days.

I managed to rig up a scheme that has a dozen of my coworkers clamoring to try to lose weight and get healthy along with me. I started by challenging them to 30 minutes of exercise three times a week. It evolved into a 16 week fitness challenge. Every week each person participating will contribute one dollar to the pot and get weighed. If they gain weight they have to contribute one dollar per pound over their weight from the previous week. At the end of the 16 weeks the person who lost the greatest percentage of their bodyweight will win the pot. We'll take out thirty dollars, one for a twenty dollar prize for second, and one for a ten dollar prize for third, but everything else goes to the winner. We have a dozen people involved, one dollar per week for 16 weeks plus anything extra for weight gained. Somebody's walking away with well over a hundred dollars for being a few pounds lighter.

I'm just biding my time... two weeks into the challenge, I'm taking donuts to work.

Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:23 pm

So yeah... this thread needs bumpage. I personally have spent a lot more time in the weight room at work, however I am not living up to my own expectations. Part of this is from going soooo very long being a lazy ass and not doing anything that I'm so far from the shape I used to be in... And part of it is I can't get into a healthy sleeping/eating pattern right now for some reason.

My other problem is that I've convinced myself to go for weight training for right now until I feel better working out and then add in the cardio. I'm sure this is ass-backwards, but you'll have a hard time getting me to do much cardio indoors, and it's freaking cold outside :)
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:12 pm

From what I remember, Doug, weren't you aiming to add muscle and mass? If that's the case then you rworkout should be very weight-intensive anyway. Cardi increases endurance and your cardiovascular fitness. It doesn't help tone muscle or build muscle as well as weight training. Its all about how you weight train that matters.

Right now I'm only doing a mile or two warmup run before I lift as far as cardio goes and I'm seeing great results.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:52 am

How goes the whole quitting smoking??
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:32 am

The quitting part is going badly...
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:38 pm

37 days. I fell off the wagon a little on the caffeine, as I found a type of Chai that I really liked... a lot... when I realized I liked it a lot because it had caffeine in it, I gave it up. I'm not going to count it against me. Silly me, because I picked it up in the herbal tea section, I just automatically assumed it was caffeine free.

37 days with no coffee, cigarettes or sugary snacks.

I haven't been able to start the exercise program like I wanted, because I had to move all the exercise gear that I'd just set up to one side to make room for Ashley's futon. I haven't given up on the idea yet, though.

Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:32 pm

Ashiwi wrote:37 days.

That's terrific hon! *hug* Keep it up!

I know caffeine isn't the best for you, but I won't depress you with how many times I've fallen off that wagon. Usually about the time I get sick and need it to keep me going so I can miserably plod along. I've just been trying to limit the soda intake. Oh and sweet tea which is REALLY hard to do here...
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Rented
Sojourner

Postby Rented » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:34 pm

eating, smoking, caffeine, etc makes you happy. So you live longer...but will you be happy? Think about it...

j/k =P being healthy will make you happy =)
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed May 16, 2007 9:57 am

So it has been several months and I'm wondering about people's progress.

I myself have put on 5 lbs. Now it is purely speculation, but I believe I might have actually gained more than that in muscle while losing some of the excess pudginess. Overall my progress has been very slow and I am trying to find the motivation to start cardio again so my energy levels are up and I can lift more/longer without getting so damned exhausted.

Duna
Sojourner

Postby Duna » Wed May 16, 2007 11:13 am

Well, I"ve lost a couple pounds. :)
I'm not off the cigarettes yet.. I'm back to working on it though. :)
I"ve also been trying to exercise at least every other morning.
bawog
Sojourner

Postby bawog » Wed May 16, 2007 12:28 pm

Well since January I've lost a total of 35 pounds. I run every other morning and do a good workout on the off days of that. I don't coffee anymore, I just watch what I eat and make sure to push myself to the limits!
Lonikiple group-says 'i remember this one time at izans, when nerox said tanks west, and kobob ran 2 west, and spanked the group, you guyz remember that?'

Tiamat shouts 'No, it is you who is fucked!'
sotana
Sojourner

Postby sotana » Wed May 16, 2007 9:20 pm

I've lost 10 lbs thanks to my tried and true powdered sugar donette diet...mmmmm.

Hrm I suppose the obsessive exercising might have helped but I feel certain that the powdered sugar donettes were the deciding factor!
bawog
Sojourner

Postby bawog » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:38 pm

I know this thread is a bit old, but I'm curious to see who has kept to their resolutions, and did whatever they wanted to do to lose weight. Since January, I have gone from 6'2" 230 down to 177 lbs, and lost all belly fat, and other areas that were a bit flabby. Just curious if we stopped what other people have done in the time.
Lonikiple group-says 'i remember this one time at izans, when nerox said tanks west, and kobob ran 2 west, and spanked the group, you guyz remember that?'

Tiamat shouts 'No, it is you who is fucked!'
Duna
Sojourner

Postby Duna » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:19 pm

well i still haven't kicked the cigarettes.. but i've been working out. no clue if i've lost weight or not.. I don't get on a scale very often.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:04 pm

My Garmin tells me I'm out of shape. But at least I have my legs back.

I hate crutches.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Nokar
Sojourner

Postby Nokar » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:10 am

Since January I have lost 22 lbs. For someone who has very little money to invest into equipment. I have something to say. You don't need these highly expensive weights, equipment, bowflex, etc.

Lookup up Pavel Tsatsouline on amazon, google, etc.
For your first read I would get the book or find a pdf of it, The Naked Warrior. Then after that Beyond Stretching: Russian flexibility breakthroughs. Once you have worked your way through the drills and GTG in these books invest some money in 1 or 2 kettlebells and get the book Enter the Kettlebell. All of these are by Pavel.
This is a very very good starting point into getting into shape and producing stunning strength results.

It took me 32 days to get down to a full pistol now I am cranking out 4 pistols with a 33lb kettlebell held to my chest on both right and left side. I am down to doing 3 on the ground one arm/one leg push-ups. His system helps you lose weight and allows for very astonishing strength gains. I was right at the 200lb mark I am down to 176-178 lbs but and pistoling over 200lbs.
A pistol is essentially a one legged squat, a full but to your heel squat.
For weightlifting work outs I am ony up to the 30 lb kettlebells. Pavel also has a book for this as well and you can find many many videos on pavel and kettlebell workouts.
For anyone male or female who is wanting to get into shape and does not have a lot of time to devote to hours upon hours in the gym I suggest using this system.
The only other thing I added was so other variations on body weight exercises as well as more meals per day at smaller portions to raise my metabolism back to where it used to be. I am also currently researching Parkour or Freerunning at present.
If anyone needs any other advice on Pavels' stuff or where to get or how to make a good substitute for a kettlebell send me a msg on here.

Some people have already asked me why do these crazy exercises.
My answer: EASY! Look at olympic gymnasts. For a lot of them there is not "weight" training. It is a crap ton of different body weight exercises. They work not on short muscle range motion they work on full range of motion strength, or extreme range of muscle motion.

For a good demo video of pavels seminars and camps as well as the routines go here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO61k3EODY4

Well I have rambled on enough about fitness.

Never fear failure!

L8r all,
Nokar
Rhoquinn group says 'Nok no wandering!'
You group say 'Is there any aggro's here?'
You flee westward!
You group say 'ummm guys?'
Rhoquinn group says 'Dammit Nok'
Welcome to toril
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:47 am

I'm still a non-smoker!

I can't say the same for the rest of it. Sigh... I'd so love to have somebody to work out with.

teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:33 am

Nokar wrote:It took me 32 days to get down to a full pistol now I am cranking out 4 pistols with a 33lb kettlebell held to my chest on both right and left side. I am down to doing 3 on the ground one arm/one leg push-ups. His system helps you lose weight and allows for very astonishing strength gains. I was right at the 200lb mark I am down to 176-178 lbs but and pistoling over 200lbs.

I tried the pistol with a 34lbs weight and damn I can see why it took 32 days. I nailed one today, but I don't think I'm going to be able to do it again tomorrow. This Pavel has a fun set of exercises indeed.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”