Equipment Suggestion

Discussion concerning the upcoming Toril 2.0 update as well as general 3.5 edition D&D discussion
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Equipment Suggestion

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:45 pm

I'll begin by saying that I haven't thought this through completely, so there can be aspects to this haven't occured to me. For all I know, this is already in the works for 2.0.

What about making a system where items have a set maximum amount of "stats" they can have, depending on area difficulty, etc. But also a MAXIMUM number of hps, +max, etc., that item type can EVER have. Meaning, if I'm doing a zone labeled as "45-50", the items cannot exceed X amount of hps, stats, etc.

Likewise, for example, no earring in the game can EVER have more than X hps. Likewise, no armor can ever have more than X AC, be it magically or not.

Zones labeled as 'green' are capped in the amount of "hps, stats, etc" that items from that zone can have, and likewise for 'red' zones in credits. Just using an example.

I know of the equipment calculator, random loads, blah blah, but if we look at the items from CERTAIN zones we ALL know, those zones have items with retardedly ballooned stats, regardless.

So if you know of any concrete reasons against this idea, or criticisms or positive feedback, bring it up. Like I said, just a crazy idea I had without much thought at all, because I'm more emotional than rational. Eep.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:52 am

The eq calculator is undoubtedly broken, just for the simple fact it can be optimized for end results and yet still produce a (relatively) easy and fast zone. Capping the rewards may be one way of keeping eq sane.

At the same time, there are already many moving parts when it comes to equipment and Toril 2.0. I'd rather wait and see how equipment looks with 1) more than two possible bonuses per item, 2) fewer attributes and saves to affect, and 3) different effects of stats and saves on your character, all of which Shev has talked about.
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ
Marthammor
Staff Member - Areas
Location: On a Rocky Tor Overlooking a Storm-Ridden Landscape

Postby Marthammor » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:51 am

The eq calculator isn't used nearly as strictly as it was when it was first introduced. It was a good concept, but as everyone can see it can be easily abused. It is now used as more of a guideline and we use the old method (which still isn't prefect) of going with our gut feeling on how hard fights are and what stats should be.
While I haven't actually seen what a lot of the changes to eq will be for 2.0, I know a lot of it should be an automatic conversion which I believe shev posted about in one of his announcements. From there, we'll have to adjust things as issues arise, although I'm hopeful we can take care of the major problems before 2.0 actually goes live.

As for caps on stats for certain levels of zones, there isn't a set limit currently, but the whole gut feeling for stats kinda puts some kind of a limit on things getting too crazy hopefully.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:16 pm

I'm going to have to cast my "vote" (not that our opinions truly have weight) with Marthammor's nuanced approach. I fear that any number-based system can be defeated.

Also, this is tangential, but are all the zone classifications necessarily still accurate? IIRC Jot and Brass were originally 45-50 zones (or is it 40-50?), but in the past few months I have seen level 30s taken there with some regularity. Tiamat has always been flagged "50s only" but most groups now go in with only maybe half of the group at level 50. Basing eq stats on the level classification of a zone would necessitate a thorough inspection of these classifications.

I agree that we should be thinking about these issues, though.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'

Return to “Toril 2.0 Discussion”