Dragonlance, the movie?

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Dragonlance, the movie?

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:59 pm

Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Imis9
Sojourner

Postby Imis9 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:41 am

Straight to video???
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:12 pm

Can't be worse than Dungeons & Dragons... *shudder*
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:56 pm

Sarvis wrote:Can't be worse than Dungeons & Dragons... *shudder*

That's what I thought.... until I saw Dungeons & Dragons II.
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:20 pm

They made a sequel?
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:06 pm

I dunno, I saw about 10 minutes of D&D 2 and thought it was better. Well... the hot fighter chick was cuter than anyone in the original, anyway. With movies that bad, it's really the only criteria I can use!
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:00 am

Wait'll In the Name of the King opens. Jason Statham can't even save that piece of crap I bet. Whoever decided to make a movie based on dungeon siege needs to be slapped.

On the bright side Peter Jackson will be making 2 hobbit movies.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:34 pm

Woa, they made a 2nd D&D movie?

OK... I read about it and when I saw this:

"Unlike the first movie, which could be considered medium-budget, this is a low-budget production with a cast of relatively newcomers (with the exception of Bruce Payne as Damodar). Also unlike the first movie, many details from the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game have been included. The professions of the five adventurers are accurately depicted and they work together, each utilizing their individual strengths. The equipment of the adventurers are items which avid gamers will probably recognize (e.g. gem of true seeing, flask of purple worm acid, vorpal sword, ring of the ram, staff of lightning, hammer of smiting, etc...). The spells cast by wizards are accurate renditions of the ones from the roleplaying game, namely that spells are not cast at will, but must first be prepared and in limited amounts."

Hrmm.. now I kinda wanna see it. Oh dear.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:44 pm

Llaaldara wrote: The spells cast by wizards are accurate renditions of the ones from the

I want the lightning spell that blows up a dragon in one shot.

Yes, it happens in the movie. The DO stick the dragon with a spear first though, which acts as a lightning rod... which still fails to explain blowing up a dragon with one lightning bolt spell...

torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:15 pm

Yes, it happens in the movie. The DO stick the dragon with a spear first though, which acts as a lightning rod... which still fails to explain blowing up a dragon with one lightning bolt spell...

It was a pansy baby dragon. It didn't buffet, wing talon, bite, breath, and attack all in the same round like ours do. :)
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:12 pm

Sarvis wrote:
Llaaldara wrote: The spells cast by wizards are accurate renditions of the ones from the

Well seriously, what about the rest? Was this movie better at handling the material then other films? I really hated that magic dust crap they used to cast spells in the first one. Plus it says how a lich in this one acts like a lich. (that really interested me for obvious lichy reasons).

??
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:26 pm

That's actually pretty much the only part I saw, sorry.

Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:52 pm

At least the Dragonlance film(s) will be animated, which gives a fair chance of being better than the others. As for the second D&D movie (and damn you all for making me remember them), it is, in fact, better than the first. That, of course, isn't saying much, but at least the second one lives up to the basic standard of made for tv B-movies that it strives for. The original didn't even achieve that (which might have been forgivable had it never seen the big screen).
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:23 pm

The lich was the only part of the 2nd D&D movie that I thought was good. Had I been watching it just for the elements of D&D, I might have enjoyed it a bit more.

Earthsea was better.
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:12 pm

D&D2 Was fun Llaaldara. Fen and I noted that yes, they did in fact READ the books while writing the scripts. We LOVED the bit where the female barb raged and the party had to calm her down so she wouldn't turn on them.

Not like the first one. *shudder* Not at ALL like the first one.
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:51 pm

Lilira wrote:D&D2 Was fun Llaaldara. Fen and I noted that yes, they did in fact READ the books while writing the scripts. We LOVED the bit where the female barb raged and the party had to calm her down so she wouldn't turn on them.

Not like the first one. *shudder* Not at ALL like the first one.

What? A Waynes brother doesn't make a good D&D Character?
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:38 pm

Not unless he's playing a goblin.

Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'

Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:23 pm

Lilira wrote:Not unless he's playing a dead goblin.

Fixed!

Btw Sarvis,

Maybe that whole blowing up the dragon with a lightning rod kinda thing was one of those DM calls kinda thing like:

Player - "I wanna use my lightning spear as a lightning rod to augment my maxed specialized lightning bolt spell and do massive damage. Can I?"

DM - "Hrmm.. sounds like a called shot with some special circumstances. Lemme see what the rules say.... Ok. We're going to have to apply penalties to the throw, a -8 penalty, and there is only a 10% chance this will work. Roll to hit."

Player - (rolls dice) "20!!! WOOOT!!"

DM - "Ok roll percent to see if the spell works while I roll the dragon's save."

DM rolls for dragon and fails miserably on saving throw.

Player rolls and makes the 10% chance.

DM - "Ok.. lemme calculate the damage with all the bonuses. (Does a lot of rolling and adding and re-rolling and adding some more and..) Ok.. You blow up the dragon. The room, and your companions are covered in burnt dragon chunks and gore."

Player and Party - "ALRIGHT!!!"

It's like that whole, Backstab him with a Ballista, thing.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:36 pm

Pretty sure my DM would beat me for trying anything like that. :P

Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:26 pm

Considering how horribly I typically roll.. mine would laugh his butt off.

Frensolith
Sojourner

Postby Frensolith » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:43 pm

But its got Lucy Lawless!
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:35 pm

Frensolith wrote:But its got Lucy Lawless!

Frensolith more, imo.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”