Muspelheim invasion is broken.....

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
torkur
Sojourner

Muspelheim invasion is broken.....

Postby torkur » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:42 am

A frost giant warrior stands here.

Just saw this after FINALLY getting to do the black heart key for robe for khanjari. Pissed to the point of wanting to quit would not begin to describe my feelings well enough as I am sick and tired of being "told" I'm not a rogue without this retarded overpowered toothpick and this is adding yet another week of annoyance to an ultra-rare farming quest.

Why is invasion up more than normal Muspelheim is? Is it supposed to add difficulty to khanjari quest or just give twinks more hoard items? Invasion has been up all week long during my vacation (I know of at least 5 times) every F'ing time I can even think of getting a group to get the stupid no rent key to get further. I have EVERY other item done and waiting so there is NO challenge in this. It takes a group of people with no real rewards for them just to get it. I was told by 5 people this boot it wasn't up after they did stuff in musp earlier this boot, yet here it is again.

With so little of a chance for me to get this item and finish, please either:

1) make the dumb key rentable, so I can race at boot before invasion pops 30 seconds in and quest like u have to for balor, or

2) make the quest mobs always load during invasion so I can quest it then. Make the door locked and pickable and the mob cowering in fear, I don't care and it fits the theme, or

3) Make a rare invasion actually rare again. If the frost giants like Muspelheim this much, they might be called.....fire giants?
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:49 pm

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopi ... 183#184183

And now you almost know how I feel. Next you will become pissed and not check for a few boots, then you will start checking again. Unfortunately, you won't quit and the cycle will continue. It will never be "fixed". This is the life of a quester in TorilMUD.

If you are new (as in a new player to the MUD who is reading the BBS for the first time) and reading this, this is pretty much the bleeding edge of the game. Only difference is that things never change here and things usually change in other MMOs.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:02 am

I waited 35 boots (Literally) for Gor to finally quest my 2nd scorpion earring for Riwer with half of Imphras being nice and looking for me, trust me I know. I did stop checking and nearly decided to COD4 it, but Sotana dragged me and we happen to hit the 10% non-invasion musp load tonight after it screwed my chances all vacation week. Only 2x 10% balor loads to go, yay! :P

The funny part with all this? If we can't finish a rare or !rent quest with 50 active players, who will do it if torilmud ever went back to 200+ players a night?
Ifin
Sojourner

Postby Ifin » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:30 am

Sorry for trolling but that sucks. Seems like a case study though.

- Risk vs reward out of balance for longest time (2 highest end items easily twinked).

- Imms decide to make a complicated change ~1 year ago which also took months at the time to implement (Musp devices) over much simpler changes (just add mobs/move equipment), not listening to people who benefited from twinking but also wanted to make it un-twinkable. [Toril 2.0 implementation vs. hotfixes]

- Original reason for changing zone unresolved - still (easily) twinked days after changes. [Unnoticed b/c lack of imm interaction at highest levels?]

I state this b/c the side effect of higher invasion loads happened after this change (probably about 20%, except only 1 out of the 4 invasions load now so it's even more broken than you think).

How to know the % load consistently if it was supposedly also made !locate? B/c it's also still locatable.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:13 am

Ifin wrote:- Original reason for changing zone unresolved - still (easily) twinked days after changes. [Unnoticed b/c lack of imm interaction at highest levels?]

I feel dirty saying this, but Kiaransalee is gone. He was probably the best at making sure shit was done as intended because he constantly watched players to make sure nothing fishy was going around.

But how do you define twink? Is musp invasion intended for a full group? That's how alot of people did it in the past. Doesn't mean we need to do it like that again.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Ifin
Sojourner

Postby Ifin » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:02 am

Arguably (for longest time)... Signet + Marble top (reasonable) item for 4 slots for multitude of classes (multiplying its value)... and arguably became what zone was/is most valued for.

Like you said, Musp Invasion was made to be intended for full groups (to justify its top value rewards), and it is still one of funnest events. And also not just spying on players to see if things are fishy, but active imms who play and know how things function and what changes would bring. But

Twink (not totally a derogatory meaning) = being able to get at minimum signet/marble with 2 people for same time it takes full group to do invasion. 100% win rate on each item. + usually being able to do 2nd tier item such as mesh/shield/sleeves/ice ring.

I mean it's 50-50 good/bad to have a flaw like this. In short: Bad - throws risk vs. reward for eq way out of alignment. Good - allows different levels of skills to be demonstrated.

But was posting more-so to Torkur and noting the process of a problem being realized, a long time to implement a hard solution, and the solution not even working as intended and causing other side effects.
Marthammor
Staff Member - Areas
Location: On a Rocky Tor Overlooking a Storm-Ridden Landscape

Postby Marthammor » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:37 am

The devices in muspel weren't made for muspel originally. I had come up with the idea for them when working on jot invasion and then thought they could help with the problem of people rogue sneaking/folding around muspel making things much easier then they were intended. Of course, once you know where the device is, its just a matter of taking it out and then you can fold around in a limited area again.
I don't recall messing with the invasion load rates when I added the devices, tho I do remember thinking about lowering it since there were complaints about one of the invasions loading more then the others (more frost giants, less gear cause all fire giants are dead).

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”