Bring back artifacts, politics and god favoritism

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:57 am

posted in wrong thread, sorry.
Last edited by Disoputlip on Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:34 am

Ashiwi wrote:There's always creating one or two zones with very nice items in them, perhaps with limited game-time lifespans, where the whole zone is flagged with a form of pkill that allows for limited looting.

Then maybe seeding items necessary to do the zones in other zones.

Ask anyody who participated in the Tel'Arato challenges how much fun inventive pkill can be....

Even in a castle built of crushed beercans.

I think that Tiamat items have taken the place of artifacts just fine, and its really down to uniques and restrings. Its high time to make them accessible to players, and not some unattainable goal. A combination of RP and zoning to earn these type of rewards is what should happen as I see it. If you want the best the game has to offer, then you have to participate in all facets that the game has to offer.
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:57 pm

This was a fun thread to read. :)

Lots of reasons the mud isn't as fun or as densely populated as it once was.. and a lot of it has to do with removing the one threshold that separated the best from the best. (And that's a fairly subjective statement, too.)

When everyone can get the same EQ just by putting in the sheer amount of time, what's the point? But damned if I didn't want an artifact when I started playing.. that's immortality.

As they say, you want to go into the Hall of Fame some day, not the Hall of Everyone's Very Good.

Dornax
Jurdex
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:10 am

Altho I'm rather biased, I'd nominate Lilithelle for having an artifact. I can't think of a time where she didn't drop all to help out new people, etc. All the leading, all the prodding to lead zones and get people involved.
Ifin
Sojourner

Postby Ifin » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:58 am

With Tia items now the de facto artifacts in the game, I just wanted to expand on what Jurdex said.

As an extreme example, a new player gets his invoker to 50, being a non-eq dependent class and minimally knowing how to cast force after force, joins a Tia run and contributes the 12 hrs.

It's been precedent that this player, just b/c for this specific run contributes 12 hrs, can and might win the extreme best item (de facto artifact) for a slot of his choice.

This is like a baseball season, there's some consistent leaders over time (Lilithelle, Sarell, Pava, etc) w/winning records. But in the end, everyone gets to play in the world series, and the trophy goes to dice roll and not the best of the best.

Though it does come down to pbase nowadays, squeaking around 30 for the runs, and people expect to be compensated.

But I dunno, if it's possible to achieve the best eq not even playing consistently when we need people to to have fun, and just coming out for Tia for an equal chance at de-facto artifact as others who do consistently play, I can see how it renders some aspects of this eq-progressive game pointless.

Especially having a ~1 in 8 chance at a 1st tier item, you can exchange it for a couple sets of non-Tia endgame eq, and then having about ~1 in 8 chance again to complete it even more just by doing Tia and nothing else.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:05 am

Thilindel wrote:Altho I'm rather biased, I'd nominate Lilithelle for having an artifact. I can't think of a time where she didn't drop all to help out new people, etc. All the leading, all the prodding to lead zones and get people involved.

My feeling is they're better off giving the initial artifacts to people who actually don't necessarily deserve it.. you know, to create some controversy and the appearance of god favoritism / politics.

Corth (bumping it mori style)
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:18 am

this thread was dead ages ago... let it rest i peace. you aren't even rangers for Christ sakes quit beating dead horses
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:14 pm

But.. but.. I wanted to bump something Mori style!
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:35 pm

Corth wrote:But.. but.. I wanted to bump something Mori style!

n00b, Mori waits at least a year from the last post in the thread before bumping. Let's face it, he's so +style there can be only one.

Not to mention we actually care about what Mori bumps... I mean really... better luck next time.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:44 pm

pwn3d by just the mere legend of moribump.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:44 am

I think Lord Krenalazmagg should have an artifact. A cruel whip of maggot shredding or something. Something that puts all other items into a pale incomparable shade of ranger shite. Something so severe it makes people cry that they only won chimera circlet. A device used to enhance the game and face of the Faerun as only a divine presence can do. Hop in line maggots. Join Shadowscream (www.shadowscream.com) "assoc info 3" and demand your most benevolent ruler gets an artifact fitting of his divinity.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:53 pm

I, for one, welcome our new maggot-wielding warlord.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:31 pm

The more I think about it, the more it seems to me that Amolol needs to have an artifact. :)

Goddamned slippery mage.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:45 pm

Give corth an artifact that presses all corpses in room every tick for 2 rl hrs. then he'll have a use sitting at wd inn :p
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:50 pm

Pril wrote:Give corth an artifact that presses all corpses in room every tick for 2 rl hrs. then he'll have a use sitting at wd inn :p

Relo/well target isn't enough already?
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:43 am

Should give me an artifact that procs instant death on a percentage of people who relo or well me. Muahahah!

Goddamned slippery mage.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:23 am

!!!

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:20 am

Give Corth an artifact that makes any room he can get to teleportable but with a small % chance the spell might go amiss and land you in Bel's chamber.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:24 pm

I think even if the artifact were nearly useless, or at least no better than a similar item, it would still be special to the owner. I won a badge many many many moons ago in the PVP arena. Yes, somehow an anti without deathknell actually won a PvP fight. Must have been from blinding a rogue or something i can't remember. Anyhow, i got a re-strung badge. There were awards for casters too. Not certain who got that one. Anyhow, they're just something unique. Nothing with stats, just something to look at and say "i'm the only one, and i'm still not cool!".

Del
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:51 pm

I won one of the first or the first fight club and didn't get crap. Stupid Malar.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
shalath
Sojourner

Postby shalath » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:46 pm

Corth wrote:The more I think about it, the more it seems to me that Amolol needs to have an artifact. :)

2nded.
[Profile edited by Board Admin. If you can't be civil, we'll fix it for you. -ed]
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:27 pm

Corth needs an artifact that will allow him to randomly make himself do one or more of the following things:

1. Rename himself, change class, race and level so he doesn't show up on who list sorting
2. Tog anon on
3. Go vis 60 (forger invis) for a random amount of time
4. Randomly sic justice on him and put him in jail
5. Make the room he is in silent, !magic, and dark
6. Do god emote tells to make people who relocate to him think that he's talking to them and telling them to vote for his favorite presidential candidate
7. Slap the relocating player and tell them they just screwed up his record of going without a relo
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:49 am

An artifact that makes the room I'm in !teleport. How infuriating would that be?!

Goddamned slippery mage.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:14 pm

Give a random dwarf a helm that's marginally better than whats out there and downgrade it later to be worse then 4 items in the game and watch the players whine.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:01 pm

Gormal wrote:Give a random dwarf a helm that's marginally better than whats out there and downgrade it later to be worse then 4 items in the game and watch the players whine.

Give a random dwarf a helm that's marginally better than whats out there, watch the players whine, and then downgrade it later to be worse then 4 items in the game.

Order fixed.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:44 pm

give artifacts visible to the user counters on them so if you didnt use it.. you'd lose it.. if you didn't zone with it it'd go back to the mob who it loads on.. make it relatively short. like 4-5 days max.. if you didn't score an end boss kill in that time you would then summarily lose the artifact and then someone new could have a chance at getting it. could be a fun way to get old ppl and new interested..
Last edited by flib on Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:50 am

Dalar wrote:
Gormal wrote:Give a random dwarf a helm that's marginally better than whats out there and downgrade it later to be worse then 4 items in the game and watch the players whine.

Give a random dwarf a helm that's marginally better than whats out there, watch the players whine, and then downgrade it later to be worse then 4 items in the game.

Order fixed.

But they still whine.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:29 am

flib wrote:give artifacts visible to the user counters on them so if you didnt use it.. you'd lose it.. if you didn't zone with it it'd go back to the mob who it loads on.. make it relatively short. like 4-5 days max.. if you didn't score an end boss kill in that time you would then summarily lose the artifact and then someone new could have a chance at getting it. could be a fun way to get old ppl and new interested..

sounds like someone's been playing duris!

flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:26 am

heh.. ya.. it's still a good idea though.. would allow for a sense of tension on how to keep it fed and all that.. more people would play.. and more often.. to see if it poofed or to feed their precious artifact.. just cuz someone else uses it doesn't make it a bad idea.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:29 pm

Dartan needs two artifacts so that his skills are never questioned!

*duck*

Goddamned slippery mage.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:12 am

First of all, this thread is HYSTERICAL.

2nd of all, almost none of you actually get it. You're all throwing out ways to "fairly" distribute the artifacts. The point is to distribute them unfairly.

regular eq is distributed fairly. anyone can do the zone, anyone can do the quest. thats good, nice and fair for new players, we can all hug and kiss and hi5. that should be enough for you casual gamers. Step 1 complete.

Corth is talkin about step 2 - ? this is the part where we make all the harcore players hate each others guts and fight with each other.

The greatest joy this game will ever have to offer i witnessed first hand. Tagad got an iceberry from jot, and he shouted that he would be dropping it at 1w, so whoever needs it for quest come show up for a shot. 30 mages showed up, droolin and begging and kissing his ass. He ate the friggin thing right in front of them, flipped everyone the bird and logged off. We can sit here and talk about the good ole days for 100 years, you will never find a greater tale of mud glory than that.

I quit every few years, for a few years, to make the game challenging again. I started doing that right around the time artifacts stopped. Am I bitter? Yes. I am bitter that I had to level up and learn how to play while everyone else was running around doing crazy shit and having artifacts, but when i finally clawed my way to the top, theres no more artifacts. no more favoritism. I had to eat the $hit sandwich when i was a newbie, and now that im super-leet i dont have anyone to feed it to.

What did i find when i came back this time? Some of my crew was around but in a new guild. SoI is still kicking around. Evils have pretty much disappeared or have come over to the goodie side. Now we play nice together. I zone with people who were once my sworn enemy. WTF kind of fun is that? Who am i supposed to hate / denegrate / taunt / undermine? What is the fun of getting a spanky new item if there's nobody's face to rub it in? Cats and dogs, living together. Its chaos!

"Oh thats not the way it should be! It should be fair for everyone!" No it shouldn't, its already plenty fair. Make it unfair here at the top - where I live, and you most certainly do not. I should either have an advantage over everyone and be able to rub it in their face at every opportunity, or be disadvantaged against someone and rub it in their face whenever I beat them anyway. THATS what makes it fun.

RP is stupid, stop talking about it. Giving out powereq to ppl who are good at RPing isnt going to get you anywhere. What the hell is some nancing elf warrior going to do with avernus? Run through DS Faster? comeon. You gotta give that shit to the powergamers who are going to put it to some use. Preferably me and my friends, but if not us than the other team. But we need an other team.

The pbase is so small at this point that you dont have much to lose. Throw the artifacts out there. Give me someone to hate, someone to compete against.

Some of you wont admit it ever, but deep down you know its true. You're either the guy eating the iceberry or the mage sitting there drooling for it. Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you. But if you cut the bear's balls off he just sleeps all day.

2 cents deposited. continue flaming.

Oh and whoever that guy is baiting arilin and talking trash about corth, you suck. but not as good as your mother did last night. BURN

PS - shar cut the balls off my signature. this aggression will not stand, man.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:34 pm

Thanuk reminded me that this thread actually once had a point. :)

I think since the time I started this thread, which by the way is the most important thread on this bbs, the pbase has lost another 50-60%. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not..

For shits and giggles, I read the whole thing from the beginning. It was great to see posts from people like Tol, Toddrick, Sarkhon, Dornax, Verarb, Dlur, Thanuk and others who represent the glory days of this mud when there was meaning beyond just completing the zone and getting the gear in a nice cooperative manner. Quite a few posts from egalitarians, the most important being Shevarash who, of course, is the only person that matters in the "Ideas" section of this bbs. Lilithelle, Ashiwi, Kifle, and some prominent others make an appearance, as well.

Frankly, I think at this point its too late to breath life into toril. It may very well continue to exist in its vegetative state for many more years, but no matter how stable the code is, and how many zones are added, it will always be fairly sterile and lifeless. Maybe thats why even this particular thread lost a lot of its passion over time.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:14 am

thanuk wrote:...blah blah blah, jets suck, blah blah blah.

Oh and whoever that guy is baiting arilin and talking trash about corth, you suck. but not as good as your mother did last night. BURN

I completely forgot I was ever invovled in this thread, damn.

That was fun.

Soldering iron.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:12 am

the only issue I have with arti's not having timers is that this is strictly pve........ so if you don't have it.. you never will.. which is lamish.. but it'd still be better than what it is now.. as corth said.. this mud is just losing steam.. I still have love for it.. and possibly.....(meekly) the great and fabled 2.0 will bring a resurgence to this once great nation.. but shrug.. i'm slowly starting to lose hope gaining doubt in it's place.. some serious changes need to be made soon. or theres gonna be like 10 ppl that log on in a year. :P
Corth
Sojourner

Re: Bring back artifacts, politics and god favoritism

Postby Corth » Fri May 23, 2008 3:14 pm

Its really about time that toril brought back artifacts, politics and god favoritism. Its clear to me that what the mud lacks, ultimately, is passion. We have some great zones. The code is stable, albeit a little bit outdated. So whats missing exactly? There's no real reason to play after you've done all the zones a few times. Its just a game, whereas in the past it was a society.. it transcended the mere limits of a game.

So with the goal of improving the mud and demonstrating that I don't just complain, but in fact, am a man of action, I am making this offer to shev. Shev, please run a quest for Shadow of Imphras, and let them all get a bunch of unique items. Lilithelle and maybe one or two others should get artifacts. In exchange, I am willing to do whatever it takes to get into your good graces. For instance, I will stop posting unicorns. If you want I can be an admin and bust people's chops for incorrect useage of ooc. Whatever you want. I'll even mudsex it up a bit! Do you like flirty or slutty? :)

So are you willing to bestow some god favoritism here and imrpove the mud? I await your response!

Goddamned slippery mage.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri May 23, 2008 3:27 pm

Hell, as a newbie even Thanuk's Heatweave inspired me.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri May 23, 2008 3:49 pm

A Leather Belt Named, 'Discipline'

Or something like that. Awesome.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri May 23, 2008 4:47 pm

Its too bad that every last shred of competition is being driven away. Not liking someone is going to be bannable soon, when back when the game was flourishing we had rivalries left and right.
amena wolfsnarl
Sojourner

Postby amena wolfsnarl » Fri May 23, 2008 5:31 pm

You know i have seen some signs of god favoristism... Elementalists wear votex cloak and pulling it out of a bag and making it proc without charging. Dont know how that happens without a little help from a god
Dugmaren tells you 'Welcome to Canada, don't blame us if you're stupid enough to get eaten by the wild life'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri May 23, 2008 5:47 pm

There are a bunch of people who have !bit cloaks, I'm just the only one who bothers to use mine. Everyone's cloak charges in their bag and can be used that way. Now if you made mine proc 5x sandstorm, then we'd have something to talk about. I can't believe that of all my special gear, you went with a vortex cloak, heh.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed May 28, 2008 4:15 am

i'm sorry, but the players have too many options now in other games to play. too many choices.

having the god favoritism, mystra rants and artifacts made this game niche in a genre where the choice of a decently running mud was extremely limited

that is no longer the case, and there are nearly as many free to play mmorpg's now as there are stable muds
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Thu May 29, 2008 7:16 pm

I'm sorry, can we remove all cakes from the game, other mmorpgs have too many frosting options, too many sprinkles, so cakes don't fit here anymore.

There are nearly as many free cakes as there are sprinkles. The cake isn't real.
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”