how many...

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Zoldren
Sojourner

how many...

Postby Zoldren » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:24 pm

of you think the time sinks start with rolling a char?.....

personally i get bored of trying to get good stats after rolling for 10-20 minutes at a time
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:33 pm

I think the game was Wizardry from Nintendo. It was made specifically to where you knew you'd get good to great stats; you just had to roll for a certain amount of time before you would receive them.

I don't at all understand the method, nor the madness. It's quite odd to say the least, that whoever made this system believes that a potential player has nothing better to do with their own time than to sit there and roll. Nobody is honestly going to accept shit for stats on purpose and actually expect to be usable: Example being if you had a warrior, and had garbage stats - it'd mess up your abilities to rescue, tank.. If you're a mage or cleric with minimum prime stats, you slow the group down, even so far as to not having the "ideal" stat. Halfling clerics are absolutely a horrible choice for times - I think their relative counterpart is duergar elementalist. Just absolute horrible times. Troll/Ogre are a default 'duh'

It ain't easy being dumb, slow, weak, whatever. Yet the option is there for those who want a challenge. I prefer to call 'em "Troublemakers!"
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:07 pm

I always felt that someone who sits there rolling for a long time misses the point. Having a few extra points of strength, int or con or whatever is not going to have much of an impact one way or the other. Just play the game!
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:19 pm

agi and con matter
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:54 am

grey elf res rate is god awful even with 100 con, so 110% agree. Agility is another where proof is outright: Compare ogre agility eating 500+ hp critics vs. grey elf taking 220 from same mob. Another 110% dartan agree. Never really seen the other stats purely matter so blatantly.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:39 am

My AGI is 55. Never stopped me from getting things done..
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:52 am

that may be, but who enjoys falling for 50%+ earthquakes, eating critics from halflings...heh
bawog
Sojourner

Postby bawog » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:10 am

I'd stay stop complaining and play the damn game, I mean for crying out loud, I check this board once per 2 weeks and all I see is MAKE THIS GAME EASIER. For christ sake I can remember it being so hard to get levels where its 50x more demoralizing than it is now. Seriously play the game if 2.0 ever comes out that'd be great but for all and all its a myth for the most part. Menzo anyone? Hence why most of us have quit and left for other ventures. That is all for now.
Lonikiple group-says 'i remember this one time at izans, when nerox said tanks west, and kobob ran 2 west, and spanked the group, you guyz remember that?'

Tiamat shouts 'No, it is you who is fucked!'
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:03 am

bawog wrote:I'd stay stop complaining and play the damn game, I mean for crying out loud, I check this board once per 2 weeks and all I see is MAKE THIS GAME EASIER. For christ sake I can remember it being so hard to get levels where its 50x more demoralizing than it is now. Seriously play the game if 2.0 ever comes out that'd be great but for all and all its a myth for the most part. Menzo anyone? Hence why most of us have quit and left for other ventures. That is all for now.

You have the wrong idea. Hard is not the problem. Time sink is. I enjoy hard. I hate waisting time... especially when you only have maybe a couple hours a night to play... time is important.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:26 am

Zoldren wrote:
bawog wrote:I'd stay stop complaining and play the damn game, I mean for crying out loud, I check this board once per 2 weeks and all I see is MAKE THIS GAME EASIER. For christ sake I can remember it being so hard to get levels where its 50x more demoralizing than it is now. Seriously play the game if 2.0 ever comes out that'd be great but for all and all its a myth for the most part. Menzo anyone? Hence why most of us have quit and left for other ventures. That is all for now.

You have the wrong idea. Hard is not the problem. Time sink is. I enjoy hard. I hate waisting time... especially when you only have maybe a couple hours a night to play... time is important.

What a coincidence, so does ym.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:28 am

Heh, rolling a character is just not a time sink. Its completely self-imposed. You can roll a perfectly good character in 3 minutes. If you absolutely insist on perfection, its going to take time.. so what are you complaining about?

And yeah, with my 55 agi I fell all the time from earthquakes. That was just part of my character. I used to take a lot of crap for it. Honestly, the game would be better off if we had to weigh some real pros and cons when rolling. Its not as fun when everyone is built the same.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:03 am

I agree entirely with Corth. While it isn't the stats that make a player for the most, it would be good to see some characters that didn't have all perfect max stat notches. Some people / creatures with a bit less int or a bit more agility and others that wern't so good would be interesting. Just by making stats not perfect you could actually have various strands of a class. A strong warrior VS an agile warrior instead of everyone just having perfect for both. I'd be all for a roller that gives about 30% less average stats and you can't swap them with the ones you don't use to hit notches. The old roller made you think things like 'oooh, the agi looks a bit poor, but man it would be nice to have those high stats in int and wis!!!'.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:27 pm

Corth wrote:Heh, rolling a character is just not a time sink. Its completely self-imposed. You can roll a perfectly good character in 3 minutes. If you absolutely insist on perfection, its going to take time.. so what are you complaining about?

And yeah, with my 55 agi I fell all the time from earthquakes. That was just part of my character. I used to take a lot of crap for it. Honestly, the game would be better off if we had to weigh some real pros and cons when rolling. Its not as fun when everyone is built the same.

I also agree with you corth, but i'm not saying perfect stats, just stats u can live with to play and still have fun. when most of the stats are either bad or mundane thats just ridiculous.

to make it more fun and 'realistic' then stats should be all average and 1 or 2 goods/mundanes not mostly bad/mundane.

When you have 2 goods, and 3 bads 1 mundane and a fair and an average... whats the fun in that? ever played an ogre with average agi and good wis?
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:08 pm

Zoldren wrote:
Corth wrote:Heh, rolling a character is just not a time sink. Its completely self-imposed. You can roll a perfectly good character in 3 minutes. If you absolutely insist on perfection, its going to take time.. so what are you complaining about?

I also agree with you corth, but i'm not saying perfect stats, just stats u can live with to play and still have fun. when most of the stats are either bad or mundane thats just ridiculous.

to make it more fun and 'realistic' then stats should be all average and 1 or 2 goods/mundanes not mostly bad/mundane.

When you have 2 goods, and 3 bads 1 mundane and a fair and an average... whats the fun in that? ever played an ogre with average agi and good wis?

The higher the roller gives stats the less diversity you have in eq. I love my dwarf tank because i can deck him out but i also love my paladin who i have to wear sunstones on for con notches.
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:04 pm

Zoldren wrote:

Okay, honestly. Tell me you didn't hit any mighty's or heroic's after getting a roll like that... it really doesn't take that long to get a character with really nice stats in a couple of areas--it's when you want really nice stats across the board that it gets time consuming.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”